• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I was actually going to make a thread about this last week but got busy and forgot about it

Mario Odyssey
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Super Mario Party
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
Mario Maker 2
Mario & Sonic At The Olympics

It really is getting out of control.
I can't believe we got all of these in just 1 year.

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of metrics to measure interest. The community is pretty quiet lately. From June 28 to October 2, there were no updates, not even comment on when the planned update they announced at E3 would be added post-release. No comment on extra styles. No comment on any future plans with the game much at all. It feels reminiscent of how they treated Super Mario Party. It's very clearly feeling left behind in order to promote their holiday lineup and the community is noticing.
From what you say Super Mario Party sales are disappointing too.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
So, SMM2 sold the entire ltd of the wii u version already, surpassed the 3ds version already and will probably sell more than both combined

Oddissey ia among the best sellin 3d mario ever

But of course those salea are disappointing and nintendo should put mario to rest

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More of an observation that makes me wonder how much Nintendo is competing with themselves by pumping out all those games.
I don't think they're competing with themselves. They're all different games and Nintendo spread them out pretty good. It might look "worse" only because Nintendo has one system to develop for instead of 2. So all the Mario games are on Switch.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I love when companies actually give numbers.
41 million switches is very good for Nintendo.
great sales on the games as well.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
NSMBUDX and SMM2 won't magically cease to sell after September 2019.
These games are likely candidates to be evergreen games.

More of an observation that makes me wonder how much Nintendo is competing with themselves by pumping out all those games.
Nintendo for a long (long) time is aware that what sell a game ultimately isn't the brand but the game structure.
The brand is a sort of "Nintendo's seal of quality" that gives visibility but what ultimately let Nintendo to churn out sequels in game franchises that are decades old is a winning formula that can be exploited by introducing new spins and by putting the right care in the development.

You shouldn't think in term of "what characters are there in a Nintendo game" instead you should look for "what the characters do in the game" or "what are the factors that makes a Nintendo game enjoyable".

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They're still making more money then not releasing Mario games so the existing few can sell a few more copies.

I've heard actual arguments that games like Yoshi could've sold a million or 2 more if there weren't so many Mario games. But the logic is dumb because there's more money to be made releasing more games.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
The only real issue with SMM2 imo is they haven't shared any of their plans for the game update wise. It needs a bookmark site and they need to continue adding to it. But it's sold ~4m in 3 months and 2 days without a holiday. That's solid. It will cross 8m for sure, 10m isn't out of the cards either.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hope the silence on SMM2 means they're just hard at work at a big beefy update. Would be incredibly stupid for them to kill the momentum of that game as an evergreen title

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I respect Imran and all but there is no way he is talking to people at the paygrade to know if MM2 sales are in line with expectations or not. I doubt many people in the US outside Doug Bowser really know that. Double so as this is a game that was used specifically to drive online subs (being bundled with it at a higher price).

For whatever reason a group of people seem to have an irrational dislike of the game here on ERA and will latch onto anything that gives some credence to the game underperforming when even raw numbers + logic tell us otherwise

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
And the result? Kart, Odyssey, Party, Rabbids and Aces are reaching franchise highs or breaking records. NSMBU and Maker 2 sales are strong.
It's nothing new anyway, there have always been multiple Mario releases each year.

the result is they are eating sales each others. not to mention yoshi which is still a game in the same universe.

Oct 25, 2017
I was right since april/may. ;) that's what happen when you put one mario game after another every few months for years.

there's basically no hype for a new mario rn. they really need to stop milking. odyssey could have be at 20+ million units rn.
I mean, you almost had me. Which is more than you usually manage so good job I guess.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017
I've heard actual arguments that games like Yoshi could've sold a million or 2 more if there weren't so many Mario games. But the logic is dumb because there's more money to be made releasing more games.
Yoshi number is just for 3 days, so it can sell 1 million more and be at the million seller list for this actual fiscal year . (until end of march 2020)

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Maybe updating a game for free over a long period of time doesn't make too much sense for Nintendo. they don't sell in-game items in those games. for now, they still don't operate live-service games but prefer sequels over that.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think another 2D Mario is a long way off. Both deluxe and MM2 will sell for a long while and no, I don't believe that Nintendo thinks MM2 sales are disappointing. I mean maybe they would want it to sell like a hit 2D Mario game but that would be foolish. MM2 will outsell the older versions by a large margin.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
If those are the numbers it was at at the start of the year, only ~44 million after 10 months seems a bit low. Have sales fallen that hard for the XB1?

XB1 is likely over Switch, but not because "it was at 41m by the end of 2018 no way sales fallen that bad" (because to be honest yes they fallen REALLY bad), it's because we talk about shipments numbers.

Let's start with the fact that the 41m figure is an estimate and not an official number, but let's say it's true, that was sold through. Sell in numbers should add 1/2 million more, so it was likely 42/43m sold in.
So even if XB1 literally sold 0 units in 2019, it would still be above Switch in term of sold in numbers.

But this doen't matter that much, because before the end of this year Switch will 100% surpass it (sold in and sold through).

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So, is 20mi possible for this fiscal year?
Yes, but that will depends on how much hardware they will move on Q3. They are currently at 6.93 millions. Shipping at least 10 million units this quarter is doable. They got Switch Lite + mainline Pokemon to do it. Selling 3 million in Q4 is easy when they got Animal Crossing in March.

Oct 26, 2017
XB1 is likely over Switch, but not because "it was at 41m by the end of 2018 no way sales fallen that bad" (because to be honest yes they fallen REALLY bad), it's because we talk about shipments numbers.

Let's start with the fact that the 41m figure is an estimate and not an official number, but let's say it's true, that was sold through. Sell in numbers should add 1/2 million more, so it was likely 42/43m sold in. So even if XB1 literally sold 0 units in 2019, it would still be above Switch in term of sold in numbers. But this doen't matter that much, because before the end of this year Switch will 100% surpass it (sold in and sold through).
Ahh...we don't have any up to date official or close to official numbers to go off of? Still, those estimates are definitely surprising

Oh I fully believe and know that the Xbox One has still sold more units than the Switch has atm and that the Switch will outsell it soon enough. It's just surprising that the Xbox One has had such a sharp decline in sales this year. I guess I figured it's sales would hold stronger before its successor dropped

Man, I hope so! New art style, please!
You want the New Super Mario Bros art style again? ;)

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Last H2 they shipped 11.88 (9.42 + 2.46) million. To hit 20 million they need to ship 13.07 million. That's about 10% growth. By comparison Q1 was up 13%, Q2 was up 50%, and H1 was up 37%.

I think it's possible given the stronger lineup + Lite. Of course the Switch will have to sell about 10 million next quarter to do so.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Ahh...we don't have any up to date official or close to official numbers to go off of? Still, those estimates are definitely surprising

The last official number for XB1 was "almost" 10 million shipped by the start of November 2014. More accurate numbers from Microsoft, 5.1 million shipped by the end of March 2014.
Sadly MS really didn't give much data, all we can do is using some estimate from company/analyst.

Personally, i use those numbers (with the awareness that they may be off)
2013 - 3.0 million (this is the only official number)
2014 - 10.5 million
2015 - 19.1 million
2016 - 27.6 million
2017 - 35.0 million
2018 - 41.0 million