• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Animal Crossing being the 15th best-selling game of all time 11 months after release was not something I would have predicted in February 2020

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Great numbers. As I expected, Switch is at ~11.5 Mio. units. Expectations regarding 12 or even 13 Mio. units were way too high.

Switch per calendar years:

2017: 14,87 Mio.
2018: 17,4 Mio.
2019: 20,21 Mio.
2020: 27,39 Mio.

LTD: 79,87 Mio.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
At this point a Switch Pro this year is very unlikely, Switch keeps selling record numbers and the "competition" can't keep up due to console shortage and lack of next-gen exclusives. Why would Nintendo bother producing and releasing another console, even if just a modest update, especially during a pandemic?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
At this point a Switch Pro this year is very unlikely, Switch keeps selling record numbers and the "competition" can't keep up due to console shortage and lack of next-gen exclusives. Why would Nintendo bother producing and releasing another console, even if just a modest update, especially during a pandemic?
If they were planning to release a Switch Pro this year, they'll likely still go through with it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
a switch pro would have been in development for years, you think they just bin it and eat the cost of R&D because the old one keeps selling?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

DSi was launched when DS Lite was at the peak. Console performing really well is not a reason to hold off the release of another iteration. In this case a power bump will help Switch to get even better third party software.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
To not lose momentum. The competition will surely be producing way more consoles as the year goes by as well. They're facing typical launch shortages that every console faces in their first few months. Not sure why the pandemic would prevent them from updating hardware?

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Oct 25, 2017
Momentum is important and can change at any time, especially if you're going to have Nintendo-like lulls in software.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Either they throw away all the Switch's success as it dies off in 2 or 3 years, or they launch a new model that gets current owners to buy in again... Why does Apple keep making iphones?

There is too much risk in waiting for the momentum of Switch to die off and roll the dice again with another product, it's best to get those iphone users to buy a new iphone. (Because the software ecosystem is the same across iphones, this is more in line with yearly upgrades, than console generations, were everything starts over).

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody knows when DS hit 80 million? I feel there's still chance for Switch to beat DS... or even PS2.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Well done to Nintendo, such a massive turnaround from the Wii U.

I don't have a Switch yet, but I know when I do I'll have a good time with it, hopefully it continues to get a load of good games for years to come.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Not necessarily. The PS4 Pro and DSi didn't come out during a lull in sales for those products.

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
To me, the biggest achievement is that the consolidated financial position reached 2,328,065 M yen (22 B $).

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Hardware sales a bit less than my prediction (12m) but still, this is a historical performance for a gaming platform. its gonna end up this year as the biggest shipped FY for a console of all time. profits are also at crazy levels.

Switch won't be only @100m at the end of 2021 (calendar), it will probably be closer to 110m. it may also pass PS4 in NA this year.

digi_era

Jul 21, 2020
Anybody knows when DS hit 80 million? I feel there's still chance for Switch to beat DS... or even PS2.

I've often heard that several people bought PS2 not as a game console and did not play with it at all. They bought it as a multimedia player. I don't know whether it is true or not and if yes how much PS2s were bought to be used as a media player.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017

First congrats Nintendo on close to 80 million units worldwide on hardware. Very impressive. Regarding Nintendo needing to release a Switch Pro. It'll come out this year or else don't count on Nintendo gettinf new releases on 3dd party games or next gen titles. The Switch has to also sell 3rd software to keep the cool factor, not nexessarily 1st party titles. Some title have been struggling on running on Switch OG. I expect though a Switch Pro to be announced Summer 2021 with a release date of Winter 2021.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's very likely Nintendo will break the record for annual operating profits.
With just 3 quarters it's already very close to beat the peak of the Wii/DS era.

Top 5 highest operating profits recorded by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations) until now:

Nintendo, FY ending March 2009: 555.26 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2021: 521.11 Bn yen (miss the 4th quarter which will be profitable for sure even if less so than Q3)
Nintendo, FY ending March 2008: 487.22 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2010: 356.57 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2020: 352.37 Bn yen

Very impresive and great job, can you do top 5 highest net profit for any console manufacturer?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring any errors, I have finished updating the OP.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Its crazy to think that Switch could most likely hit 100m units in less than 5 years with launch price point.

Dec 21, 2020
I've often heard that several people bought PS2 not as a game console and did not play with it at all. They bought it as a multimedia player. I don't know whether it is true or not and if yes how much PS2s were bought to be used as a media player.
I think those did not account for more than 5% of the install base considering the system sold, what like 1.5-1.6B software?

Definitely had a very high attach rate for software, and of those that used it as a media player... most likely a lot also bought games.

Probably very small amount for exclusively media related things.

That said, the PS2 with discs was also... an issue. Some (probably 20%?) bought the same game twice because the first one became unplayable due to the hardware =P

daprodigalson

Oct 27, 2017
This quarter:
Japan = 5.44 million
America = 9.05 million
Europe = 6.28 million
Other = 3.33 million

Lifetime:
Japan = 18.88 million
America = 31.17 million
Europe = 20.70 million
Other = 9.11 million

Thanks so that's about a 23% split for jpn last quarter with an average of 23.6% ltd

With that ratio in mind, and assuming it's broadly held (hell, it could go up as high as 31% for jpn and the math still holds) the switch may have all ready blown through the 2.4 million sales estimate for the remainder of this fy

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Screw that, I'm still waiting for Nintendo Switch to make BC with 3DS cartridges someday. I ain't rebuying my entire DS and 3DS library again. Until then my 3DS will get some playtime

Lol, there's a better chance of Nintendo bringing back F-Zero and including Mother 3 as a free bonus than that happening.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
ACNH shipped 5.14M this quarter.
MK8D 4.42M.
Smash 1.75M.
Super Mario Party 1.72M.
BOTW 1.71M.
Pokémon SwSh 1.33M.
Super Mario Odyssey 1.24M.
Splatoon 2 630k.

Evergreens!
The evergreens are the Switch's big strengths. The bigger and bigger the library of attractive software is is the more and more it'll push people towards the tipping point of buying the console. An individual title might not be a "system seller" on its own, but it will still add to the portfolio of games that push people to buy the console.

And despite what people say there's still plenty of strong titles they can release. Monster Hunter is a big one and that hits in a month and a half. Games like Nintendogs, Style Savvy, or Tomadchi Life would help build that evergreen library for a certain audience. Ring Fit Adventure is an evergreen that hit out of nowhere.
mynintendonews.com

Kimishima Says That He Expects The Switch To Sell About As Well As The Wii

The Nintendo Switch releases in a little more than a month from now, and Nintendo has high expectations for the console’s sales. In fact, Kimishima said in a Nikkei interview that he expects the…
I remember people skeptical of that in the comments, lol. It's gonna blow the Wii out of the water. 130M+ seems to be a pretty reasonable prediction at this point.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
This quarter:
Japan = 5.44 million
America = 9.05 million
Europe = 6.28 million
Other = 3.33 million

Lifetime:
Japan = 18.88 million
America = 31.17 million
Europe = 20.70 million
Other = 9.11 million

According to these data, it is very noticeable why shortages are so deep in Northamerica. Switch sold 26 Mio. units through till the end of 2020 in the USA. Adding the usual split for the rest of America, we should be at 30 - 30.5 Mio. units for whole NA. Nintendo shipped 31.17 Mio units, so the gap between sold-through and shipped units is very little here for this region.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The evergreens are the Switch's big strengths. The bigger and bigger the library of attractive software is is the more and more it'll push people towards the tipping point of buying the console. An individual title might not be a "system seller" on its own, but it will still add to the portfolio of games that push people to buy the console.

And despite what people say there's still plenty of strong titles they can release. Monster Hunter is a big one and that hits in a month and a half. Games like Nintendogs, Style Savvy, or Tomadchi Life would help build that evergreen library for a certain audience. Ring Fit Adventure is an evergreen that hit out of nowhere.

I remember people skeptical of that in the comments, lol. It's gonna blow the Wii out of the water. 130M+ seems to be a pretty reasonable prediction at this point.
True, and convincing someone to buy a system is not just a function of big new releases. Whereas early in its life a game like SMO needed to convince people to buy the system with 'only' the help of Splatoon 2, BOTW, and MK8D (a formidable set of games, mind you), a game releasing in 2021 has the backing of those three plus Smash, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Ring Fit, NSMBUDX, LM3, SMP, and the litany of smaller titles. Convincing someone that it is worth purchasing a Switch at this point in its life is more easy, and any major release will therefore have to overcome less resistance from buyers ("The library is already good, and I really like this game, so I'll get a Switch" - something like that).

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Thanks so that's about a 23% split for jpn last quarter with an average of 23.6% ltd

With that ratio in mind, and assuming it's broadly held (hell, it could go up as high as 31% for jpn and the math still holds) the switch may have all ready blown through the 2.4 million sales estimate for the remainder of this fy
EDIT: I misread the comment. So ignore this

MaestroChief

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2020
Code:
+---------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
| Quarter |  PS4  |  PS5  |  WII  |  NSW  |
|  FY1Q1  |       |       |       |       |
|  FY1Q2  |       |       |       |       |
|  FY1Q3  |  4.50 |       |  3.19 |       |
|  FY1Q4  |  3.00 |       |  2.65 |  2.74 |
|   FY1   |  7.50 |       |  5.84 |  2.74 |
|  FY2Q1  |  2.70 |       |  3.43 |  1.97 |
|  FY2Q2  |  3.30 |       |  3.90 |  2.93 |
|  FY2Q3  |  6.40 |       |  6.97 |  7.23 |
|  FY2Q4  |  2.40 |       |  4.31 |  2.93 |
|   FY2   | 14.80 |       | 18.61 | 15.06 |
+--------+--------+-------+-------+-------+
|  FY3Q1  |  3.00 |       |  5.17 |  1.88 |
|  FY3Q2  |  4.00 |       |  4.03 |  3.19 |
|  FY3Q3  |  8.40 |       | 10.41 |  9.41 |
|  FY3Q4  |  2.30 |       |  5.46 |  2.47 |
|   FY3   | 17.70 |       | 25.95 | 16.95 |
|  FY4Q1  |  3.50 |       |  2.23 |  2.13 |
|  FY4Q2  |  3.90 |       |  3.52 |  4.80 |
|  FY4Q3  |  9.70 |       | 11.31 | 10.81 |
|  FY4Q4  |  2.90 |       |  3.48 |  3.29 |
|   FY4   | 20.00 |       | 20.54 | 21.03 |
|  FY5Q1  |  3.30 |       |  3.04 |  5.68 |
|  FY5Q2  |  4.20 |       |  1.93 |  6.85 |
|  FY5Q3  |  9.00 |       |  8.74 | 11.57 |
|  FY5Q4  |  2.50 |       |  1.37 |       |
|   FY5   | 19.00 |       | 15.08 | 24.10 |
|   LTD   | 79.00 |       | 86.01 | 79.87 |

Switch is selling faster than the PS4.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Nintendo shipped 24.1 Mio. units for this FY so far. They will for sure reach more than 26.5 Mio. units in the end. There is no way that they only ship 2.4 Mio. units for the last quarter, even more if we consider that they will provide new bundles for Mario 3D World and Monster Hunter.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You want to strike while the iron is hot and while interest is high, not to wait until all of the momentum has gone out of your product.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Brah with these software sales they really need to release a new Warioware and Rhythm Heaven game for the switch.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I contributed to the cause, 2 original switches and 1 lite. And I'll get the pro when it releases. Most of my physical game library purchases are Switch games. My nieces in Japan are about to purchase their own hardware too this quarter. No stopping this train anytime soon.