• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it deserves it. :D

Release Date:

Japan: September 14, 2001

North America: November 18, 2001

Europe: May 3, 2002

Features:

-First Nintendo console embrassing the CD format, in it's own way: Mini-DVDs (1.5GB)

-Follows the Nintendo 64's four controller ports concept. Personal recommendation: Use Wavebird controllers, those devices are marvellous!

-Uses Memory Cards, works with 'blocks' units for saves. Many formats available.

Adapters available:

Broadband Adapter: You can play online with a very few games (PSOI&II,PSOIII and Mario Kart Double Dash).

GameBoy Player: You'll be able to play with your GameBoy, GameBoy Color and GameBoy Advance cartridges on your TV via the GameCube. (Be sure to get the GameBoy Player's disc if you're going to buy one, you'll need it to make the whole thing work.)

Controller Port to GBA adapter: Permits multiplayer for two games on the system (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Zelda Four Sword Adventure) and extra features in others. ex: The Tingle-Tuner in Zelda WindWaker

I'd like to add that one of the advantages of having the component cables for the GC is that all types of GB games looks very sharp on your HDTV with it, thing you won't be able to do with the Wii.

Resolution:Up to 480p with most of the games, but there's two conditions if you want to do it.

1- You'll need one of the very expensive and rare official Nintendo Component Cables.

2- You'll need a GameCube from the first batch, these are the only one that have the component port, those are the DOL-001 series (it's on the serial number.). All DOL-101 that followed doesn't have it.

Pro-tip: You'll need to hold B while the console boots to activate 480p with a compatible game at first. (Only the first time, it'll ask automatically after.)

Here's the list of 480p/16:9 compatible games.

Why are these the only ones I can find? I can't find any third party! >_<: It's because it's the only cables available on the market for the GameCube, On the base of the cable (where you plug it) there's a special chip made by Nintendo to convert the signal properly, no company ever tried to replicate it.

Is this cable worth it over a Wii component cable while playing GC games on the Wii?: Well, it seems the Gamecube will offer a very slight but superior image quality while playing it's games with the OG GC component cable versus the Wii with it's own stuff. It's all up to you, because these cables are over 100$ on Ebay. It feels bad at first because it costs a lot for a cable, but all I can say is that it feels good to have the perfect GC set ready to rock your HD-tv without having to go through the Wii menu at first (and having to turn on a damn Wiimote as well.).

Durability: The thing is fucking invincible!!!

Why are you not talking about emulation like on your other threads?:

I assume we're going to have a Dolphin |OT| at some point, I will add a link here once this happens.

Now to the collecting part, here's my GC collection. (No Player's Choice allowed!!) :)

Show your stuff as well and prove that this beast have some guts!!

Don't hesitate to help each others, ingame questions, values of certain games, even if you see deals on Ebay or the alikes and you think would be worth it for any enthusiasts here, why not share it?

Little things you may not know:

Hold the Z button while turning on the Gamecube and hold for alternative sounds when the system boots up.

Hold the Z button on all four controllers for Japanese voices when booting up.

Turn on your Gamecube with no disk in the system, it takes you to a menu that looks like a cube. On this menu, you can hear ambient sounds playing in the background. If you record this screen for a little bit, (you need the audio.) and speed it up 16x in any basic program. You'll hear a little tune. That tune was actually the Famicom Disk System Startup theme. Nintendo made the Famicom Disk System in 1986, so it's cool that they'd add something like this to a newer console.

Other Retro-ERA threads

Sega Saturn |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sega Dreamcast |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sony Playstation (PS1) |OT| Appreciation Thread - Worse Image Quality than your Kid's First Drawing

PS2 Appreciation Thread | The Greatest Sequel Ever Made

Nintendo 64 |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Game Boy / Color / Advance Collecting |OT| Now you're playing with power; PORTABLE POWER!

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive |OT| Blast Processing with the GOAT

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

The Ripping Thread |OT| How to build your own legitimate ROM library

Let's a go ERA, share your Gamecube memories, good deals, collections and love!

[/QUOTE]

EDIT: I got my thread locked and got my thread priviledges removed after making this thread exposing ERA's new owner.

www.resetera.com

I believe there is a conversation to be had about ERA new owners and affiliations details.

Hey all, Most of you are probably aware, thanks to the warning up there, that ERA is no longer owned by a solo member of the community and was sold for 4.5M$ to MOBA Network by Cerium. Which, understandably after this deed, seemingly ran off with the money to never return again, for obvious...

It was fun while it lasted, but I'm not supporting this place anymore.

Last edited:

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adore the GameCube, it was the first home console that I got to pick and choose every game to play on it. Rogue Squadron II, Sunshine, Godzilla DAMM, Wario World, even the janky-ass original Game Boy Player I love.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamecube has a lot of excellent third party offerings like Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and WWE Day of Reckoning 2.

GC > PS2 to me any day of the week.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP! The component cables rules, really love how colorful the games look with it. And I plan to finish Mario Sunshine over the weekend before I'm able to get Odyssey.

forpush

Oct 25, 2017
Having a PAL gamecube I use the RGB cable and it looks great, I wish I could have the component but i'm not made of money. I find it very confusing when I see US gamecube spines with their upside-down design, I don't like it.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OP.
Phantasy star online ep1 and 2, and gotcha force took up a lot of my time on the system.
Hopefully the proper HDMI plug and play solution eventually comes out.

Deleted member 59

Great to have this back over. Will post a pic of my collection over the weekend.

forpush

Oct 25, 2017
here's a weird thing I have, a Gamecube NR reader, its really strange to see this sort of thing in Ireland so I grabbed it just because. It's basically useless and doesn't even boot the disc that came with it but I like it as a weird collectable. It basically sits in my old room because i don't have space in my apartment for all my gaming shit but i figure it's gotta be of interest to at least a few people here!

TxKqvmk.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Seik mind putting this video in the OP?

Required viewing for people wanting to get serious about making their GCN and GB games look their best. Since now there are options!

And you bet your butt I am adding this thread to my watch list, GCN is special to me.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Man, the Gamecube is such an amazing system. I'll never forget the first time I booted up F-Zero GX, it was mind-blowing.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Here's a little tip to add to the OP: You can also access the GameCube system menu by holding A during the boot-up sequence (complete with unique sound effect), rather than turning it on without a disc inserted .

HPH

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube and Dreamcast were incredible. So unfortunate that neither system got the love they deserved. By the way, If you had the chance to buy Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica, would you buy them on Gamecube over Dreamcast? I've been mulling over this one for quite a while now. (Right now I play Gamecube games on Wii with component cables and Dreamcast games with pal scart cables, possibly VGA soon)

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Hello David, nice to see you! I would try to get the Genesis-games first, i think they are cheaper.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting too long for the GCVideo X, but I still refuse to buy a different one.

Are there any good ideas for using external drives without getting rid of the optical drive? I don't like the way Swiss operates; doing a constant switcheroo with SD cards is no fun and hardware limitations and support isn't ideal.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there.

I was digging through my old stuff, that I had on a plastic box on my parent's house and found three things that kinda creeped me out:

1. Some games had some water-like stains on the read side. None of the cases or manuals were wet or had any indication of humidity (the house is pretty damp tho).

2. The paint on my resident evil 4 copy had signs of cracking or "bubbling"

3. Dirt found its way into the box. I guess this hurts my Gamecube (there was not a lot a lot but it certainly had, same with my N64)

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got my GCVideoX test unit last week and I've been trying it out. I'll say that when this thing goes final I will highly recommend it to anyone. This plug and play HDMI out and Swiss are a powerful duo.

PAL DOL-001, PAL Super Mario Sunshine, 720x480p, 60hz.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hey there.

I was digging through my old stuff, that I had on a plastic box on my parent's house and found three things that kinda creeped me out:

1. Some games had some water-like stains on the read side. None of the cases or manuals were wet or had any indication of humidity (the house is pretty damp tho).

2. The paint on my resident evil 4 copy had signs of cracking or "bubbling"

3. Dirt found its way into the box. I guess this hurts my Gamecube (there was not a lot a lot but it certainly had, same with my N64)
For humidity I always save the little silica packets (the ones that look like a salt or sugar packet but say do not eat) and add them to any containers I have games in. I can't say for sure if it's preventing anything but it gives a piece of mind. The best solution would be to move them so they're not in that humid environment but that may not be available. Maybe run a dehumidifier or grab some DampRid hangars.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I was just looking through some F-Zero GX videos on youtube and I think this is ridiculous.

Always amazes me how people are able to do shit like that after seemingly spending countless hours on one game.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking through some F-Zero GX videos on youtube and I think this is ridiculous.

Always amazes me how people are able to do shit like that after seemingly spending countless hours on one game.

Insane. I almost feel like online would ruin a new iteration, since they would have to be much more restrictive on courses to make any sort of competitive multiplayer viable.

BumblebeeCody

Oct 28, 2017

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this but those handmade GC HDMI dongles are now on version 3 which has a proper connector plug that doesn't short out the console like before.

https://zzblogs.wixsite.com/home/single-post/2017/09/26/GC-VIDEO-Plug-n-Play-30

Has anyone done/used this? I want to connect my Gamecube via HDMI since component cables are way too expensive. I regret selling mine a few years back, but I definitely made some money off of it since I was desperate at the time.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Recently rediscovered how some of the plastic sleeves of my Gamecube cases are pretty rough. I bought a handful of replacement cases years back when they were readily available but there are still some duds on the shelf.

Anyone know of folk replacing that plastic? Curious about the glue strip(?) that's used to affix the acetate sheet to the case.

Last edited:

MoFo2

Oct 27, 2017
Finally made a video of my Japanese collection. I started collecting back in 2001, but picked up the pace around 2010 as I got more games and decided to go for a «complete» CIB set. My version of «complete» is going for the different officially released games, but not all variants, demo discs etc. Afaik there were 280 games, but maybe I have missed some? :P

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah 1 is better than 2, but both are very, very well worth playing. I really appreciate how each game in the trilogy is a different take on the formula.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Never played 3, 1's really short & sweet so I don't think you can really go wrong with it. Haven't beaten 2 but believe it or not, the split-screen multiplayer is really fun.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hi you fellow GameCube owners' I'll have to post my collection later" this was the third system I ever owned(n64 then ps2) and the first I bought with my own money. I'll post my collection in a few days. Ive considered expanding it a little, but I don't have the budget at the moment

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well, here's my humble little collection(not including the system and controllers) only have the two games without cases, and I have the Mario party 4 case and manual, but managed to lose the disk years ago(but getting just disk should be easier/cheaper when I feel like it
bsk3Jxo.jpg

Got a local game store with a decent mix of common games at cheap prices, anything obvious(or interesting I'm missing) wouldn't mind spending 40 bucks to round things off before I move to an unknown situation... what about, what was it, dark summit? Any thoughts TheMoon

Also on my to get when I have the budget to spare(or if I find a great deal): luigi's Mansion, battalion wars, metal gear solid twin snakes, and Chibi robo

Think my 40 game collection is decent though

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
the only zelda missing is four swords adventures. everything else is better elsewhere.
Well, here's my humble little collection(not including the system and controllers) only have the two games without cases, and I have the Mario party 4 case and manual, but managed to lose the disk years ago(but getting just disk should be easier/cheaper when I feel like it
bsk3Jxo.jpg

Got a local game store with a decent mix of common games at cheap prices, anything obvious(or interesting I'm missing) wouldn't mind spending 40 bucks to round things off before I move to an unknown situation... what about, what was it, dark summit? Any thoughts TheMoon

Also on my to get when I have the budget to spare(or if I find a great deal): luigi's Mansion, battalion wars, metal gear solid twin snakes, and Chibi robo

Think my 40 game collection is decent though
I don't see Eternal Darkness anywhere. PN03 is a great game. Killer7, Geist, and Baten Kaitos Origins are worth having, the latter especially since you already own the first game.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
the only zelda missing is four swords adventures. everything else is better elsewhere.

I don't see Eternal Darkness anywhere. PN03 is a great game. Killer7, Geist, and Baten Kaitos Origins are worth having, the latter especially since you already own the first game.
I'm also still stuck on the first game, made it to disk 2, but I didn't prep myself properly before jumping onto the ship.

Also Metalix i own everything but 4 swords elsewhere zeldawise.

Hmm, those are too consider, eternal darkness was only if I get on a really good deal since I'm not much of a horror fan. Was also curious if there was any other third party, exclusive or non exclusive games worth getting that I might have overlooked?(I no longer have a ps2, and I feel pretty good about my Xbox collection)
I ask because my local shop has an ok spread of common cheaper stuff and ok deals, and I thought I might try to round off the lower side of the scale premove and worry about more expensive stuff when I have the budget(I'm currently saving my main funds for switch games)

Also story behind that sunshine copy is a funny one, picked it up for 6 bucks in a gun shop of all place complete in case with just some ink on it.

Also, maybe I'll let you guys talk me into a playthrough of the few unbeaten games in a month or too. I am using my controller with turbo on vietful joe though... I stink at button smashing

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm also still stuck on the first game, made it to disk 2, but I didn't prep myself properly before jumping onto the ship.

Also Metalix i own everything but 4 swords elsewhere zeldawise.

Hmm, those are too consider, eternal darkness was only if I get on a really good deal since I'm not much of a horror fan. Was also curious if there was any other third party, exclusive or non exclusive games worth getting that I might have overlooked?(I no longer have a ps2, and I feel pretty good about my Xbox collection)
I ask because my local shop has an ok spread of common cheaper stuff and ok deals, and I thought I might try to round off the lower side of the scale premove and worry about more expensive stuff when I have the budget(I'm currently saving my main funds for switch games)

Also story behind that sunshine copy is a funny one, picked it up for 6 bucks in a gun shop of all place complete in case with just some ink on it.

Also, maybe I'll let you guys talk me into a playthrough of the few unbeaten games in a month or too. I am using my controller with turbo on vietful joe though... I stink at button smashing

Eternal Darkness can't really be labeled as a horror game, though. It's got horror themes and uses genre tropes but it's nothing like what you typically get with horror games. It's more a time-travel action adventure with creepy settings and some great mind-bending magic tricks it tries to pull on you. A mystery adventure is what I'd label this more than a horror game.

Tales of Symphonia! If you don't have a PS2 anymore but still have an Xbox the multiplats I'd recommend are generally played better on the latter (Freedom Force, Splinter Cell series, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, Burnout series, Hitman series).

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't skip out on Eternal Darkness. There are no games like it, even if you are not a horror game fan, chances are you will be pleasantly surprised.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I was also asking for general recommendations because my local shop doesn't get many rare games. It has fire emblem, but's I'm not forking over the 80 bucks with a new switch one around the corner. Otherwise it doesn't have much. Also I was pen to game suggestions multiplat wise since a lot more people are nostalgic and open to GameCube over Xbox. That and I don't know if my two Xbox's have the ticking time bomb

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was also asking for general recommendations because my local shop doesn't get many rare games. It has fire emblem, but's I'm not forking over the 80 bucks with a new switch one around the corner. Otherwise it doesn't have much. Also I was pen to game suggestions multiplat wise since a lot more people are nostalgic and open to GameCube over Xbox. That and I don't know if my two Xbox's have the ticking time bomb

Not sure if you have it already but if you can find MGS Twin Snakes for a decent price, pick it up. It's a great game in it's own right. Assuming you like MGS to begin with.