• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Nintendo game talked about by ERA, but never announced in 2020:

• Metroid 5

Votes: 361 33.1%
  • F-Zero

Votes: 140 12.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2

Votes: 209 19.2%
  • Donkey Kong 3D platformer

Votes: 147 13.5%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 35 3.2%
  • Pokémon Diamond/Pearl Remake

Votes: 123 11.3%
  • Star Fox Switch

Votes: 74 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Ten hours into Origami King now, just cleared the blue ribbon. The ring battles aren't as annoying as I feared they would be, and the boss fights are awesome. I normally don't like boss fights much in games, but these have been super cool. The game is gorgeous and the characters are charming and fun. Overall I'm having a blast. This is way better than I thought it would be after watching Arlo's massive review of the game.
I'm currently working on the blue ribbon now at Shogun Studios.

This is my first Paper Mario game, so I don't really have context for series expectations. All I know is that I'm having a pretty decent time, even if the battles are starting to wear thin. I'm finding myself actively avoiding encounters when I can and just enjoying the world and its fun inhabitants.

I agree on the boss battles though, they're a blast! Each one has been pretty creative in their own right. I just wish they were a little more difficult? I feel like I didn't even really have to take advantage of all the features and boss weakness exploits to win. I could just brute force it with standard attack probably. Never really felt pressure from messing up.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've said it before but one of my big concerns with Zelda is that we lose out on new '2D' iterations in the franchise. EPD haven't done one entirely in-house since 2013, with Grezzo co-developing Triforce Heroes and I think working as the primary developer for Link's Awakening under EPD 3's supervision. I could see Nintendo tasking Grezzo with more remakes and multiplayer Zelda over new single player titles.
I just can't afford to spend 60 bucks on a game that short. It's why I don't end up buying a lot of Nintendo games too often, really.
Ah right, I see. I prefer having a mix of lengths, really, and I don't mind paying full price if I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the experience. But I understand prioritising things depending on budget/time. I'm likelier these days to stock up on short indie games because I don't always have time to sink into many lengthy games - though that's been less of an issue thanks to the damn pandemic!

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
I don't like at all the idea of a Switch Pro with exclusive games, even if third party, but if first party games are released everywhere there's no problem. For third party software house could be an easy way to port their games on the Switch family, so..

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree with all this ! More complex boards (not necesserarly bigger, though having a few big is cool), but with multiple different roads. MP2 and MP3 stay the best boards in the series imo (with 5 not far behind too).
And yeah, 10 coins for a star kinda suck... Almost everyone constantly have 10 coins on them unless they've been really unlucky... 20 was cool, you could easily only have 17 or 18 coins when arriving at a star lol
And the thing is everyone gets coins from even losing in the mini games. So everyone will end up with 10 coins easily no matter how much you lose the mini games. It needs to go back to 20. I want more items back to. Mario Party 3 had some of the best items in the whole game. There was a reverse mushroom, which made you go back OR you could make an opponent go back.

Imagine an opponent right in front of the Star, but you bought a reverse mushroom and used it on them. It's so much fun.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
This thread is really picking up, huh? The 2021 hype is beginning in earnest!

It's about the most excited I've felt in a long time about Nintendo games. 2020 ended up being pretty bad for me for gaming on the whole, but Nintendo especially. But 2021 is looking to be much better, and the feeling of being back to "anything can happen at pretty much anytime" is great.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ever since NdCube took over Mario Party the series really went downhill.

Mario Party 9- ok everyone in a car...I'll give you a pass somewhat for wanting to try something new, but nobody likes this...
Mario Party 10- the garbage fucking car again
Mario Party 100 on 3DS- where are the boards??
Some other Mario Party games on 3DS that were crap and nobody remembers

Super Mario Party was a step in the right direction, but please we don't need to do baby steps. If they can't handle doing all these modes then reduce the modes so you can focus on the main reason people love Mario Party. Makes sure the main mode is priority and gets ton of time on developing boards.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'll always mention with development is that just because something has been announced for five years doesn't mean they've had a full team working on the game the entire time. If Bayonetta 3 isn't coming until early 2022 or whatever, that would likely mean full development started in 2019.

That aside, I hope it's better than Bayonetta 2. As much as I like 2 it was a step back from the first game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't feeling Bayonetta 3 for this year so won't be surprised if it doesn't come. I have it as a first half 2022 game.

Last edited:

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Mario Party boards could do with something completely new.

Like for example if you have a medieval board then you could instead of coins and stars, collect cannonballs and siege equipment that you could then use to destroy castles of other players and the winner would be the last one standing.

Or if you have sports themed board you could collect medals by succeeding in activities around the board like a high jump and weightlifting contest that you can buy helpful items for with coins from the minigames.

Make the boards have objectives instead of just bland go-arounds.
Then you could have different modes just for minigames.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Bayo 3 is indeed 2022 then they must have agreed to start working on it literally right before TGA 2017.

Aug 15, 2020
I think Bayo 3 was announced too early like MP4 and something happened in early 2019 that resulted in Hashimoto leaving and the game undergoing changes. A 2022 release would be 3 solid years of development on top of whatever work they salvaged. Bayo 2 took a while as well and it was dead/canceled at one point.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Zelda BOTW2, some Splatoon, some Pokemon, maybe some Xenoblade, I hope finally a Metroid title and Bayonetta, more Smash content, I wish some 2D Mario even... yeah pretty much every "core" franchise.

But I really wish Nintendo would distribute development differently so we don't have all of this content in one year and have to wait three-four-five years to see those again, and in the meantime only get some "secondary" franchises and spin-offs and remasters/remakes the next few years... Specially with games with similar play styles (BOTW and XC2 in 2017 and now probably BOTW2 and XC3 in 2021, both single player exploration games with potential hundreds of hours to play will have to "fight" for our time, to mention one example).

Yeah, that's right, for the most part, new Mario, Zelda, Pokemon games, Smash and Animal Crossing will continue to get content all year long, I wouldn't call Xenoblade or Bayonetta "core" Nintendo franchises, though. Xenoblade will probably get there eventually, but it's not a multi million seller yet.

And also, when it comes to scheduling, these kinds of major games take time. Some years have multiple major titles, some years only have just a few. It's just the nature of game releases.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
If Bayo 3 is indeed 2022 then they must have agreed to start working on it literally right before TGA 2017.
Yeah I've been explaining for a while now why I think it just entered pre prod when it was announced ^^
Most notably, Nintendo has been doing that with other "core" games in 2017, to attract that kind of audience. (core as in not casual) SMT5 was announced BEFORE it even entered pre prod (they just met with Atlus and agreed to make a SMT game on Switch, and asked them to announce it at the Switch presentation), and of course Metroid Prime 4, with Zhuge telling us it was announced really early in production, with pre prod starting in late 2016.

I believe Bayonetta 3 also just started pre production when it got announced, because PlatinumGames have been radio silent for a year (which would be a usual time for pre production for a game like that), and early 2019 they started to talk about how Bayonetta 3 became really ambitious and experimental. Supposedly it took this road during pre prod.
Also reason why I think people taking the departure of Hashimoto as doom and gloom for the game shouldn't worry too much. If I'm right, it means he leaved right at the beginning of the full prod... (and even then, we don't even know if he was the original director lol...)

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, agreed. I was a bit confused by what "grand sweeping adventures" meant because the only single player, story driven (non-RPG) Nintendo have ever done every console is Zelda. And most of the Zelda games are 15 to 30 hours or so, so it's only with BotW it's achieved the current length and scale (and even then, it is structured in such a way you could complete it in far less than 100 hours).

I'd like more things like Astral Chain - probably 10 to 15 hours if you blast through the story, 25 hours if you clear all the side content and take your time.

Yeah, Astral Chain is pretty great in this regard. The new God of War as well. You get a decently sized main story and could spend more than twice that on extra content. It's a decent compromise between the 10h blockbuster romp and the 100h open-world RPG.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
My bet is that from April onward, there should be a major new release every month until the end of the year.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Haven't followed this thread in months, any rumor s lately?
I mean, I think lately there've been:

- Splatoon something, maybe Splatoon 3, this year
- new Xenoblade in Nintendo's next financial year (April 2021 to March 2022)
- BotW2 this year
- Metroid 5 this year
- Fire Emblem 4 remake this year
- Mario Golf this year
- New DK this year
- Diamond & Pearl remakes this year

It's truly been a crazy time. Take with as much or as little salt as you like.

Not internet salt. As in the saying, "take it with a pinch of salt". I'm inclined to believe most of the above is happening.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I think lately there've been:

- Splatoon something, maybe Splatoon 3, this year
- new Xenoblade in Nintendo's next financial year (April 2021 to March 2022)
- BotW2 this year
- Metroid 5 this year
- Fire Emblem 4 remake this year
- Mario Golf this year
- New DK this year
- Diamond & Pearl remakes this year

It's truly been a crazy time. Take with as much or as little salt as you like.

Not internet salt. As in the saying, "take it with a pinch of salt". I'm inclined to believe most of the above is happening.
If any combo of Metroid 5, Fire Emblem 4 remake, D&P remake happen this year, I'll be a very happy camper. Any rumblings on whether D&P is supposed to be like a Let's Go remake or a full fledged one?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
That would make me so happy, lol. Three Houses might be my favorite big Nintendo title on the Switch still. I wonder if they'd mostly reuse the same engine from 3H.

This is where I'm unsure. They could get KT to reuse the omega engine and develop FE4 remake which would be suitable due to the scale of the game. However, I think it will be mostly developed by IS this time. The team who developed Echoes have not been seen in any credits since the release of Echoes in 2017. This game should have been in development for at least 3 solid years.

Hopefully the game will look decent and better than Three Houses.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
2017 was so awesome. I thought it was a very balanced lineup of core games and casual games. 2021 could be a repeat of 2017. It's already starting strong but the real stuff will be after March.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
If any combo of Metroid 5, Fire Emblem 4 remake, D&P remake happen this year, I'll be a very happy camper. Any rumblings on whether D&P is supposed to be like a Let's Go remake or a full fledged one?
I don't think anything specific has been said about Diamond/Pearl.

And yeah, 2021 could easily pan out to be the best year for Switch.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hopefully the game will look decent and better than Three Houses.
This will be so weird.
"Here is our new FE flagship title" *looks rough*
"Here is another remake of an old FE" *looks hot* (lol)
At least going by the technical state the 3DS games were in. (Miss the 60fps goodness on maps, interface and such)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No bayonetta 3 until 2022, only Mario as first party game in Q1 CY dont sound exactly a GREAT change of pace compared to the anemic 2020, isnt it?

I haven't seen anything about 3D World being the only Mario game... And Bayo isn't exactly a huge game either way, even if Nate was basing that on inside info.

Status
Not open for further replies.