• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2018
This is gonna sound weird, but I started working out in the past few months and started taking a pre work out and they've helped my headaches more than pain relievers. I think it's because they increase blood flow.

For me personally, if I ever get a headache, working out gets rid of it almost without fail, and I don't take pre-workout.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A7ZaEpR.gif

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
god damn I just get lost in time while playing Monster Hunter Rise, five hours feels like one hour, game is sooo good. Been doing all the hub quests, optional quests, village quests rampages. Been doing the story/village quests last.

Soooo good!

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020

I'm one of the few weirdos who actually thinks Color Splash was way worse than Sticker Star. At least Sticker Star had nonlinear progression, interesting puzzles and items that felt significant to collect.

Everyone says Color Splash was really funny and charming but I felt like the game's humor got really obnoxious in a hurry... Like 70% of that game's jokes boil down to "Wooaah Mario isn't it crazy that we're in a video game?" and "Lookie me I'm a toad with crippling mental health problems which is funny because I look happy haha!" It's like I'm watching a cheesy sitcom where they're desperately trying to make me laugh at every possible turn.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the few weirdos who actually thinks Color Splash was way worse than Sticker Star. At least Sticker Star had nonlinear progression, interesting puzzles and items that felt significant to collect.

Everyone says Color Splash was really funny and charming but I felt like the game's humor got really obnoxious in a hurry... Like 70% of that game's jokes boil down to "Wooaah Mario isn't it crazy that we're in a video game?" and "Lookie me I'm a toad with crippling mental health problems which is funny because I look happy haha!" It's like I'm watching a cheesy sitcom where they're desperately trying to make me laugh at every possible turn.

i enjoyed sticker star for breaking up the pacing with levels and being a collection of little action-adventures. i didn't get anything out of what color splash was trying to do and the origami king was cute, if i'm being charitable.

super paper mario is a horrible slog and a waste of a good idea to boot. sticker star winds up being one of the better paper marios for me.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
hoping MHGU goes on sale very soon.

Got two friends that wanna play it after we put in 100+ hr in rise

oh also hello everyone haven't posted in here for a bit

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
kaze and the wild masks is pretty good. definitely takes a lot of inspiration from donkey kong country even though it seems like it should have more of a sonic vibe. considering i just completed dkc3, it's nice to play a game in that style but with fun levels.

i'm also up to 89 games on the wii u after a spending spree spurred on by catching up on psp/ps1 stuff for vita, and now i've beaten every kirby platformer and own mega man 3-7, x1-3, and zero 1-4, plus drill dozer and advance wars 2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
kaze and the wild masks is pretty good. definitely takes a lot of inspiration from donkey kong country even though it seems like it should have more of a sonic vibe. considering i just completed dkc3, it's nice to play a game in that style but with fun levels.

i'm also up to 89 games on the wii u after a spending spree spurred on by catching up on psp/ps1 stuff for vita, and now i've beaten every kirby platformer and own mega man 3-7, x1-3, and zero 1-4, plus drill dozer and advance wars 2.
It's good to buy those games up before the stores close.

Bobo

Jan 25, 2019
i enjoyed sticker star for breaking up the pacing with levels and being a collection of little action-adventures. i didn't get anything out of what color splash was trying to do and the origami king was cute, if i'm being charitable.

super paper mario is a horrible slog and a waste of a good idea to boot. sticker star winds up being one of the better paper marios for me.
Super is definitely a mixed bag. Definitely some of the best story and characters the series has to offer but also weirdly tedious at points. I think if they had made it a little more action rpg or just straight turn based, it would have been the best. But also shit like having to do the hamster wheel to get out of debt. It's funny in concept. Annoying in practice. But I find the series has always had tedium to some extent.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
It's good to buy those games up before the stores close.

i've said it multiple times now, but the wii u vc is great. you can reassign buttons and due to save states, those harder games aren't so difficult. it's kinda cheesing it, but it's how i was able to beat mega man 3 and x and stand some of dkc3's more bullshit levels.

also essentially moved over some games that were on my wii vc but didn't upgrade yet. so ogre battle 64 and star fox 64 came over. got paper mario just in case i don't feel like hooking my n64 up to replay it. the wii u stays plugged in because it's my scale and i've started going back to wii games i never started/completed.

Tinarg

Jan 13, 2020

I thought Sticker Star was pretty okay. Not too great but not terrible. The game's setting and presentation were both horribly forgettable but I thought the sticker mechanic had some interesting depth to it. You've got limited album space with stronger stickers taking up more physical space, giving you some kind of item management meta to work through while playing the game itself. Do I keep a ton of low-level attacks or only a handful of really powerful stickers that I might be forced to use if I'm not careful? Or maybe I could carry an extra door or life sticker instead, just incase? It was a pretty decent system that at least felt a little reminiscent of the resource management in the first two games. I will admit that this dynamic sorta falls apart when you get too many album pages, which is why I think Sticker Star starts to fall off once you reach the second island.

Color Splash stripped all this out because of course it did. All cards take up the exact amount of space in your inventory regardless of power and your card storage was essentially endless. They also rebalanced all the cards to be roughly the same strength (outside of thing cards), so the dynamic of finding a super powerful move and going "Ooooh, I better try to make space for this" is just not there at all. You will basically always have enough room for everything you find and, if not, the choice of which card to ditch will always be super obvious.

Not to mention all the other mechanics they removed. The scrap mechanic is gone. The concept of holding the Things separate to your moves (and adding strategy of which ones to convert to moves and when) is gone. The nonlinear chapter progression is gone. The game has virtually no incentive to explore earlier areas outside of just coloring in spots with your hammer (as opposed to the door mechanic in Sticker Star and finding really powerful Thing moves).

Color Splash also introduced a bunch of weird OHKO moments that the player has no way of avoiding without hindsight. Chose the wrong path in a quicktime event? Instant game over. Didn't have an arbitrary attack card when playing Sniffit or Whiffit? Instant game over. Didn't know to bring the fucking balloon card to Ludwig's submarine battle? Instant game over. Now you've lost 20-30 minutes of progress which really sucks because it means you have to play Color Splash even more now. Weeeeee.

And, like, with all these changes, what's left of the gameplay? Experiencing the thrill of running right for 15 minutes at a time? Laughing at how Huey mentioned that yes, you are in fact playing a video game for the 30th time? Breezing through puzzles that were explicitly designed for young children? I guess you could argue that this game was only meant to appeal to 6-8 year-olds, but the same goes for any Nintendo game. A good family-friendly product appeals to people of all ages.

Color Splash is just... so awful. In my opinion it's easily one of the worst games Nintendo's ever published. I dunno why "Sticker Star trash, Color Splash better" is such a common take on the internet.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
After that tease in Samus Returns, we have to be getting a new 2D Metroid. And hopefully it'll have the same "Switch effect" that many of their other franchises have been having and make Metroid and actual big seller. As good as the games have been, they've never been the biggest sellers, even the most critically acclaimed Prime. Hopefully this generation will remedy that.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I got my new headache medicine. For the love of god please let this work. I want to enjoy games and my overall, day again.

Imitatio May join you in monster hunter in the near future. Backlog is a focus of mine once headaches hopefully get sorted out
Here's hoping it helps!
Been having more headaches these last few days again as well, but I think it's mostly due to lack of sleep.

Backlog first! :p Rise will take long enough on its own, no room for other stuff then.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I've been strapped for cash recently so just working on the backlog. Been able to finish a couple games ie Ikenfell and The Red Strings Club. Now on to Monster Sanctuary.

Sethler

Jun 13, 2019
A nindies presentation will be announced Tuesday, or maybe as late as Wednesday, and will be aired on Thursday.
and I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.