• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
time for a tinfoil hat theory

pikmin 4 started development near the end of pikmin 3 but it didn't pass Miyamoto's weird "it's not doing something new/unique" threshold so it went back to the drawing board. Miyamoto having seen it in action though prompted his infamous "it's nearing completion" comment in 2015 or so. By the time it was back on the rails, they realized the Wii U (a gimmick of which was probably integral to Pikmin 4's gameplay at the time) was coming to an abrupt end and all development was being shifted to the Switch. This dictated another revisit to the drawing board, this time seeing the two joy-cons and finally realizing Pikmin should go co-op. In the meantime, they got Eighting to put together Pikmin 3 Deluxe with a new co-op mode, to test the waters for both Pikmin as a brand, and Pikmin in a co-operative context. It being the best selling Pikmin game to date means their co-op direction for 4 got the green light.
throw in some engine problems/changes and this isn't far off

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
My theory is that Pikmin 4 was going to be just more Pikmin 3 and after experimenting with BOTW's mechanics they decided to reboot it (rightly so).

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I know it's just getting angry at a loud minority but man, I just hate when I see people on Youtube or Twitter saying that the Wii U is a better (legal) retro machine than the Switch because of Virtual Console, ignoring all the Arcade Archives, ACA Neo Geo, Sega Ages, like a million classic collections, individual releases, remastered 3D games from many consoles, PC and Arcade, and more, just saw a fairly big Nintendo Youtuber from Mexico saying that and because of that and the better services the Wii U is better than the Switch according to him. I know the issue is the lack of Nintendo first party games, but NIntendo is not the only company in the world.

If you want to live in the past and play beloved Nintendo classics, Wii U is no doubt a great system. But Switch has hundreds of great games both new and old that the Wii U lacks. Nevermind the hybrid form factor.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
time for a tinfoil hat theory

pikmin 4 started development near the end of pikmin 3 but it didn't pass Miyamoto's weird "it's not doing something new/unique" threshold so it went back to the drawing board. Miyamoto having seen it in action though prompted his infamous "it's nearing completion" comment in 2015 or so. By the time it was back on the rails, they realized the Wii U (a gimmick of which was probably integral to Pikmin 4's gameplay at the time) was coming to an abrupt end and all development was being shifted to the Switch. This dictated another revisit to the drawing board, this time seeing the two joy-cons and finally realizing Pikmin should go co-op. In the meantime, they got Eighting to put together Pikmin 3 Deluxe with a new co-op mode, to test the waters for both Pikmin as a brand, and Pikmin in a co-operative context. It being the best selling Pikmin game to date means their co-op direction for 4 got the green light.
Pikmin also strikes me as a game that would run afoul of the Switch's CPU of they are at all attempting to "go bigger" with the next entry. I wonder if they are aiming at launching it with the next/pro Switch.

Edit
Just saw Imran's post. Kind of fits then I guess.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So has anything

Pikmin also strikes me as a game that would run afoul of the Switch's CPU of they are at all attempting to "go bigger" with the next entry. I wonder if they are aiming at launching it with the next/pro Switch.
I doubt very much that of all the IPs it is going to be Pikmin the one that is delayed due to lack of power.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
I guess its true what they say about the Nintendo Direct being held off until next week not to compete for attention against the Sony showcase

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think I've boiled it down to three scenarios:

1) It's happening next week on the 15th.

2) There's no additional general Direct this year.

3) There's a Direct Mini tomorrow

I guess its true what they say about the Nintendo Direct being held off until next week not to compete for attention against the Sony showcase

No it's not. Ridiculous idea.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Konami should re-release those Yugioh spin off games on all platforms

falsebound Kingdom
Dualist of the Roses &
Capsule Monsters

I liked those games. Even if they're were a bit mediocre overall

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt very much that of all the IPs it is going to be Pikmin the one that is delayed due to lack of power.
I dunno. I think Pikmin is atypical for Nintendo games in that it usually presents with a lot of units/characters on screen at the same time. If the next game is based from the Pikmin 3 engine, but maybe they had plans to have more Pikmin on screen at once, I could see that conflicting with the Switch hardware in a more difficult way than typical power/performance issues we've seen.

I saw Imran's post after the fact, but that seems to corroborate my thought process a bit, although it could be entirely different issues. It would certainly align with what we've heard about Xenoblade 3 as well. I'm not saying it was delayed all this time specifically to align with some new hardware, but rather due to the protracted nature of the development, delaying it a bit more to align with some new hardware became a viable solution for them.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Wednesday this week is no good for me so I asked nintendo I'll let them know when having a direct is a good time.

🧐

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017

Don't want to distract from the Pikmin 4 discussion too much, but I was curious if Nikki ever elaborated on those teases in the form of hashes she made right before E3. Some of them panned out (Metroid V) and some did not (Master Chief). Were the ones that didn't work out bad info or some kind of misunderstanding?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Agreed with this.

I'd rank them 1, 3, 2 in order of likelihood, personally.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I mean there's also the possibility the Direct could just be on Thursday and be announced tomorrow morning

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there will be one last Direct this year, would find it pretty weird if it didn't and do think they need one.

That said, I'm personally not really fussed if it doesn't happen. Gimme a SMTV direct with Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2 remaster announcements for 2022 and I'm a happy camper.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no you dont think its just going to be simple mini direct do you, i would prefer a full blown one with multiple announcements

I feel like there was a fair amount of smoke for tomorrow and last time there was smoke pointing towards a date and they didn't announce a Direct beforehand was in January 2018 where they just dropped a mini on that day.

I'd obviously prefer a full one too but I think a mini is possible.

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
There is a very real chance that Metroid Dread is the only game I buy for Switch for the rest of the year. MAYBE SMT V and Pokemon crack the list, but everything else is a skip or wait for discount for me. Halo and Forza will take up too much of my time in Q4

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think there will be one last Direct this year, would find it pretty weird if it didn't and do think they need one.

That said, I'm personally not really fussed if it doesn't happen. Gimme a SMTV direct with Synchronicity Prologue + Jack Bros remaster announcements for 2022 and I'm a happy camper.

FTFY =P

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well if they're doing that we also need a Jack Frost amiibo.

IMNmjPE.gif

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
So I keep learning new things in SUper Metroid. You can use crouch while using Speed Booster to get a massive jump? Why does this stuff blow my mind so much?

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

That said, I'm personally not really fussed if it doesn't happen. Gimme a SMTV direct with Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2 remaster announcements for 2022 and I'm a happy camper.
Some of these Team Ladybug games are such a waste with how they are disributed.

If it weren't for piracy and fan translators there'd be no easy to play the SMT and Konosuba game by them.

I wish they ported them to consoles in general.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Urge to make one of those clickbait style threads about how the best song in gaming that'll come out this year is from a goddamn musical chairs minigame.

The number of "well actually" replies will have proven me wrong in my ways as I concede, the best song in gaming that'll come out this year is actually from a sushi shop.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to distract from the Pikmin 4 discussion too much, but I was curious if Nikki ever elaborated on those teases in the form of hashes she made right before E3. Some of them panned out (Metroid V) and some did not (Master Chief). Were the ones that didn't work out bad info or some kind of misunderstanding?

I believe she said they were just unverified rumors she heard about in Discord chats.

www.resetera.com

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 21st | Century Smash OT

Since SNK and Namco both got in with arcade fighters we need a company with a character who can contrast Sega getting in with a JRPG.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Urge to make one of those clickbait style threads about how the best song in gaming that'll come out this year is from a goddamn musical chairs minigame.

The number of "well actually" replies will have proven me wrong in my ways as I concede, the best song in gaming that'll come out this year is actually from a sushi shop.

Your spoiler pre-empted what I was going to post lol

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018

I was just about to look up a link to that song before I opened the spoiler, well played

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
1ej45sK.png

Hmmm, something's missing...

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
The last two things I'm going to say on the Direct matter here until it (hopefully) gets revealed

1) Square Enix's TGS 2021 lineup seemingly includes Project Triangle Strategy. I say "seemingly" because it's on the official TGS website but Square Enix has yet to open their TGS portal. If that's the case, then 90% chances there's going to be a Nintendo Direct: Project Triangle Strategy is a Nintendo-published game here in the West, Nintendo and Square Enix work very closely promotion-wise in such cases

2) Hopefully we won't have to wait this long, but the Direct could happen as late as the week before the Tokyo Games Show 2021 starts. Last year's Nintendo Direct Mini Partner Showcase September 2020 was aired on September 17th, 2021; six days before the Tokyo Games Show 2021 started

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I believe she said they were just unverified rumors she heard about in Discord chats.

www.resetera.com

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Downloadable Contents Discussion Thread 21st | Century Smash OT

Since SNK and Namco both got in with arcade fighters we need a company with a character who can contrast Sega getting in with a JRPG.

Yes, I realize they were based off rumors they were hearing from a source. Was just curious if she elaborated on if the source said later it was bad info or there was a miscommunication.

Status
Not open for further replies.