• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer NSO games to be close to how they originally released. That would be the point of a classic collection. It's okay if art is preserved as it was originally released. The only things I would expect is some bump in resolution (720p likely) and online play for multiplayer games. Both NES and SNES games included online play, so the precedent is there.

Remakes and remasters are a separate thing. NSO releases should not preclude those from happening. Nintendo of course does whatever the hell they want.

As for a price increase, I'm not sure what the sensible option is there. $20 a year is not much so we currently don't get much, but is a $5 a year extra worth it? It's hard to parse a logic by such a minimal increase. Not sure what that would even add to revenue and I'm not sure if a 1/5 increase is justified by N64 games. $30 dollars a year just seems absurd. I think that can only be justified if they start adding more 3rd party games that are up for a limited time. I could easily get behind a rotating collection of 3rd party games, across all platforms, if the individual membership was $30 a year.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the thing is that Tales of Arise probably had a budget closer to the PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI which probably will have made Square Enix a lot more money. Square Enix already has their big RPG IPs. That's why SE can/will put out those modest budget stuff on the side and be happy with 1m+.

Tales is Bamco's big JRPG franchise(if you don't count Souls?) so it's more important to them.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They gave Star Ocean another shot not too long ago. Game was not good. As someone who grew up with the second and third entries, it pains me to say this, but I don't know if it would be a savvy executive decision on Square's part to keep going with it at this point. Not unless there was a sterling pitch from someone who could deliver something high-quality with a similar budget to 5's.

Of course, I'm just some armchair analyst. I'd love to be wrong.

Maybe naive of me but I'd like to think that tri-Ace has at least another good game in them. The lack of a budget wasn't the only reason why SO5 was bad but it certainly didn't help. Now that JRPGs are having a little bit of a resurgence by releasing on multiple healthy platforms, it'd be kind of a waste to let that opportunity slip by.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
N64 games coming to system is always good thing to hear, but personally I dont like that they will be part of NSO.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
We've had already this discussion on Era, but i don't understand how people can prioritize N64 over Game Boy.
I adore the Nintendo 64 and I would agree - if this were still Virtual Console.

But NSO? I feel the value of official, easily set up net play is woefully understated. I can play Kirby's Dream Course online with a friend who's never even downloaded an emulator before and not have to explain anything but the game itself. That's awesome.

While online link cable support for a system that didn't even have a local solution on the 3DS (outside of Pokemon) is enticing, how many of the classics truly benefit from it? A lot of the titles I'm interested in could be purchased off the Nintendo 3DS eShop and would be largely the same experience as they would be on NSO. I'd appreciate them being included in a subscription I'm already paying for instead, but it's still nothing I can't already do.

Meanwhile on the Nintendo 64, exploring 4-player gameplay was the heart and soul of the library. Sure, the two greatest achievements on the system are probably Mario and Zelda, but beyond that? Mario Kart, F-Zero, the Mario Party games, Smash, the Mario Sports games, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. are what they are because of their support for four players (and yes, I believe the titles with modern Switch contemporaries are worth the revisit). Playing these hassle-free online with friends would be a dream come true for me.

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
A Nintendo FCC application for a new wireless game controller HAC043 was made available on the FCC site last night. https://fccid.io/BKEHAC043
042 was the snes NSO controller and 034 was the NES controller.

Most details are still confidential and the published label diagram for this one doesn't reveal the controller shape (like it did for the SNES one in 2019).

But a new controller is coming and likely to be announced soon. probably points to a new console on NSO

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
A Nintendo FCC application for a new wireless game controller HAC043 was made available on the FCC site last night. https://fccid.io/BKEHAC043

Most details are still confidential and the published label diagram for this one doesn't reveal the controller shape (like it did for the SNES one in 2019).

But a new controller is coming and likely to be announced soon. probably points to a new console on NSO
Good catch !

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
I'd like to get one of the SNES controllers but I've been waiting for them to go on sale. I got the NES controller at half price, I wish they'd do that for SNES.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Are they crazy enough to make a GameBoy style controller?

I think they might be.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Incoming gameboy controller!

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021

Good eye! Perhaps a gameboy themed controller.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I know I just said N64 doesn't move the needle much for me, but if they managed to replicate the N64's trident accurately? My interest would shoots up pretty fast, at least for the controller itself

indospot

Jan 13, 2021
The catch, GB didn't have analogsticks, so they remove them on these.

Honestly, yes, that would definitely be the case, so I wonder if they'd make them Joy-Con at all if they'd be that limiting. It's frankly hard to imagine what they might make considering the existing controllers perfectly captured the original design. How do you do that when the original hardware had a screen and this doesn't?

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
The catch, GB didn't have analogsticks, so they remove them on these.
HewusAT.jpeg

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Watch the new controller be the bone shaped NES controller but the colors will be classic Game Boy.

I would love official Nintendo Joy-cons that have a d-pad using classic Game Boy coloring, even if that means they remove a ton of features like rumble, motion, and even analog sticks. That might make a lot of sense if they want to emphasize the portable nature of the GB NSO games. Really should release a controller than works for portable mode.

Also I could see the GB app having a TATE mode but they make it a touch interface with a skin of the Game Boy.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
N64 wireless controller with built in rumble pak AND Gameboy slot for authentic cartridges

(My Pokemon Red battery is still going from 1997, I want my team to live forever but I don't know how to get them there 🥲)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Team C.R.E.A.M is out and the race to prediction glory is slowly narrowing down to a handful of posters. Team Platy is hanging on by the skin of its teeth and will be hoping for a Mini or Partner shadow dropping today. Next team up after that is Team Obviously Correct, which cockily predicts the Direct will happen on the Japanese holiday next week. Nobody guessed other dates in next week, which in retrospect could prove costly to the thread's admittedly already horrible reputation for being right on things. If next week does not pan out at all, Team Gravijah is looking in pole position for the last possible regular day guess in September, with Team Brave looming in the background and ready to pounce come October.

September 16th (Team Platy)
-Platy

September 22nd (Team Obviously Correct)
-Chaotic Neutral
-Sknygy
-mazi
-Forkball
-TreIII

September 29th (Team Gravijah)
-Gravijah

October 14th (Team Brave)
-delete12345
-Norsuchamp

September 1st (Team Evidence)
-Derachi
-Gay Bowser
-BozPaggs
-VegiHam

September 2nd (Team Chaos)
-LuckyNumber69
-Skittzo
-NabiscoFelt

September 7th (Team Tuesday!)
-Josh5890

September 8th (Team Boring)
-Starphanluke
-TheGamingNewsGuy
-Raccoon
-Homura
-Dragoncaine
-LukasManak22
-SammyJ9
-SpringwoodSlasher
-Skipper93653
-Dekuman
-Ibrahim
-Sadist
-maidhhc
-hologram
-carlosfilho
-Lelouch0612

September 9th (Team Good Vibes)
-Suswave
-MG12
-hergipotter

September 15th (Team C.R.E.A.M)
-MissingNo.
-prizna
-Brofield
-indospot
-Doctor Phishshoe
-Catalyst
-Estizzle
-Ratanplang17
-storres
-ozeiyo
-Irene
-famicorpse
Note: The game is closed for new entries. If Team Brave loses without a Direct having happened, we will restart the competition.

You may have missed it but I requested the creation of team Twenty-Three-Is-Number-One (for September 23 obviously). Since I was previously vanquished you can put the Ghost of Skittzo on that team.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of any scenario where I'd prefer an authentic N64 controller over the Brawler 64 or Hyperkin Admiral.

brawler64-wireless-w-dongle-gray-w-shadow-2-700x700-1__51780.1611067738.png

hyperkin-admiral-wireless-n64-controller-black-white.jpg

At the very, very least replace the crappy analog stick with the GameCube or Wii 8-gate stick.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
(My Pokemon Red battery is still going from 1997, I want my team to live forever but I don't know how to get them there 🥲)
There isn't an official way to move things from Gen 1 and 2, but I believe people have made a way to extract the save data from the cartridges and inject it into the 3DS VC releases, allowing them to go to bank.

Dec 21, 2020

think we will get orchestrated music for BDSP? =P

I want to hear a violin, a bass, flute, clarinet, harp, cello, piano, triangles, etc., blow me away please with the music.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Multiple platforms was my go to option until Switch. I've still had other systems alongside my Switch (initially an Xbox, then a PS4), but Switch genuinely occupies 99% of my gaming time. It helps I've always loved portable games, but it really caters to me.

Time is the biggest barrier to me playing more games, but certainly multi-platform ownership has a lot of positives.

I go through phases. The Switch dominated my gaming time between 2017 and 2019 - I may as well not have had any other console (though God of War, Spider-Man and Astro Bot Rescue Mission was a tasty 2018 on PS4).

My playtime on Switch has been quite sporadic for the last couple of years and since the release of the PS5, it hasn't really got a look in.

I also find that the longer I drift away from something, the harder it is to go back. I bought NMH3 - my first Switch game in a year - and I can't be bothered to start it to save my life.

I do like portable games, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance era than the DS and 3DS era, so it's fair to say it's not been an area of gaming I've been heavily invested in for a few years. I did enjoy the PSP and Vita though, so I've not totally left it behind in recent times.

Once one or two games that I really want come out on Switch, I imagine I'll end up catching up on a few I couldn't quite bring myself to get invested in.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
how about even moreof an abomination?
SWitch64.png

I was thinking of one that literally splits the analogue stick in half on each side. It'd still only barely be less usable than the craptacular N64 controller.

Seriously, that has to be the worst designed controller (in terms of form, not considering function or drifting later... not that the N64 was good at avoiding that either).

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I go through phases. The Switch dominated my gaming time between 2017 and 2019 - I may as well not have had any other console (though God of War, Spider-Man and Astro Bot Rescue Mission was a tasty 2018 on PS4).

My playtime on Switch has been quite sporadic for the last couple of years and since the release of the PS5, it hasn't really got a look in.

I also find that the longer I drift away from something, the harder it is to go back. I bought NMH3 - my first Switch game in a year - and I can't be bothered to start it to save my life.

I do like portable games, but I'm a much bigger fan of the Game Boy and Game Boy Advance era than the DS and 3DS era, so it's fair to say it's not been an area of gaming I've been heavily invested in for a few years. I did enjoy the PSP and Vita though, so I've not totally left it behind in recent times.

Once one or two games that I really want come out on Switch, I imagine I'll end up catching up on a few I couldn't quite bring myself to get invested in.
Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking of one that literally splits the analogue stick in half on each side. It'd still only barely be less usable than the craptacular N64 controller.

Seriously, that has to be the worst designed controller (in terms of form, not considering function or drifting later... not that the N64 was good at avoiding that either).

Nintendo was counting on people spontaneously evolving to have a third arm.

It was a gamble but it obviously didn't pay off.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously thinking that a Switch online update could be completely separate from a Direct.

AND COULD BE ANNOUNCED IN ONE HOUR

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
MODS, MOOOOOOOODS!!!
My hands instantly developed blisters from looking at this image.

He is just standing there
MENACINGLY
menacning.png

well I don't think Nintendo actually cares about us using these classic controllers in handheld mode, they didn't with the SNES one, and the NES one attaching was just weird.
So I dont think it they would actually go with design I posted here.

But it would be the only way to get the features of the controller in handheld mode.
Just using Joycons would probably be better though lol.

That got me thinking, connecting two N64 controllers sideways would be the weirdest thing ever.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I can't think of any scenario where I'd prefer an authentic N64 controller over the Brawler 64 or Hyperkin Admiral.

brawler64-wireless-w-dongle-gray-w-shadow-2-700x700-1__51780.1611067738.png

hyperkin-admiral-wireless-n64-controller-black-white.jpg

At the very, very least replace the crappy analog stick with the GameCube or Wii 8-gate stick.
Well the official N64 controllers support the transfer pak. Which I can't figure out why that is the case when these other controllers look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.