• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Their website
"Characters who inspire us to reach for the stars and beyond!"

I think that's a really cool tribute they've added on their site! They've had some very inspirational and Who are some other notable, inspirational, or not-so-known women in gaming? Which character's representation have you liked or disliked?

Peach is my all time favorite Nintendo video character. I wish she had more playable games as a character, but I like the personality they give her. She gets kidnapped too much, by she still is shown the ability to be a leader and has shown strong will!

If you can't go to the link, here go a few previews:

d35be171-1ddc-43d2-adqsvo.jpeg
48d48090-68f7-4b28-bkpswv.jpeg

8819596f-dfd6-4f3c-88ksqh.jpeg

78bb40ab-fc46-4764-a07s91.jpeg

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer zelda over peach, lately she's been more in charge than in distress, don't know why they had to give tetra the ugly pink dress in TWW though

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
that's so cute???? I love them! Zelda in BOTW is so strong, she has endured so much stuff. Very underrated, and I mean VERY.

Paging Anita Sarkeesian lmao

??? Yes, they have problematic aspects, but they also can change and be resignified. See Palutena, see Pauline. Samus still shows her body in SR's credits, but that doesn't change how she can be a source of empowerment. And that also doesn't change every criticism that has been made.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I dont think one of the biggest damsel in distress characters in gaming would be an example of "strong woman".

Anyways, Aloy in Horizon was a well done woman.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird they put this page up even though they've actually kinda took a step back in terms of female representation in the last couple of years. Hell Peach was playable in the last 3D Mario game and now she's not.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
large.jpg

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u6.jpg

Let's take a moment how Nintendo promoted an online TPS using idols as the main personalities behind the whole culture of the world and they weren't given a 1984y role or a dark past

No, they are just cute, perfect and ready to support you.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
undyne___spear_of_justice_by_andresmonadiko-d9y2gjx.jpg

Undyne is a pretty great character and is by far one of the strongest characters in Undertale.

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stan! Rosalina is also a mother figure, something that is not common in video games in general
I've always wondered that why is it okay for Rosalina to be a mother figure for the Lumas but not for Samus with how she talks about the baby Metroid. I think its even more adorable she connected with a Metroid and felt sentimental towards it. For someone who is always out there alone, I think it's nice to see that Samus can bond with a Metroid. I mean, didn't a Metroid also save her at some point? Not just once but twice? One against Mother Brain and the other was used for some DNA injection to save Samus from some parasite?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Neglected Nintendo franchise heroines unite!

Airan (Sin & Punishment)
tumblr_orqbsp6GgW1tuy4w7o1_500.png

Kachi (Sin & Punishment 2)
53438_Kachi.jpg

Sami (Advance Wars)
aw2-sami.jpg

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
From the top off my head, my favorites:

Elaine Marley from Monkey Island
Terra and Celes from FF VI
Yuna from FF X
Chun Li, Makoto, Cammy, Poison, Juri from SF
Akira from Rival Schools
THE BUTCHER FROM DARK SOULS
Lucina and Lynn from Fire Emblem
Makoto from Persona 5

Much work to do in order to be truly equal but theres a lot of great, notable characters

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered that why is it okay for Rosalina to be a mother figure for the Lumas but not for Samus with how she talks about the baby Metroid. I think its even more adorable she connected with a Metroid and felt sentimental towards it. For someone who is always out there alone, I think it's nice to see that Samus can bond with a Metroid. I mean, didn't a Metroid also save her at some point? Not just once but twice? One against Mother Brain and the other was used for some DNA injection to save Samus from some parasite?
Samus is a whole different problem. Other M went in too deep with it, dealing with topics such as PTSD. We know that she doesn't kill baby Metroids and that is basically all there is to it, besides Other M.

Deleted member 2099

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Samus is a whole different problem. Other M went in too deep with it, dealing with topics such as PTSD. We know that she doesn't kill baby Metroids and that is basically all there is to it, besides Other M.
I don't think it's a problem. People make a big deal out of nothing about the whole baby Metroid and Samus. And its because of things like this that we will never see a social side of Samus...

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Yuna from FFX

And Princess/THE QUEEN Ashe from FFXII.

Ashe is so cool, both design and character-wise. Her lust for power for a noble cause was very relatable. But the way she questioned herself and the eventual resolve was very heroine-worthy. Ashe is the true main protagonist of FFXII imo.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a problem. People make a big deal out of nothing about the whole baby Metroid and Samus. And its because of things like this that we will never see a social side of Samus...
In the way it was handled, Other M is not just an insult to women, but to people who have PTSD. It could have been written a lot better. But I won't turn this thread into a bashing Other M thread.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Nintendo has a ways to go, but it's cool that they're paying attention. Hope they keep at it.

I don't think it's Samus's motherly qualities that bothered anybody -- I don't recall anyone having issues with her connection to the baby metroid in Metroid II and Super Metroid. The issue mostly arises with her subservient, immature relationship with Adam in Other M. Coupled with that game's extremely heavy-handed emphasis on her relationship with the baby, it really reduced Samus's womanhood to an obsession with babies and dominant men.

Nothing derails a thread like Other M, so I'm going to throw in Jade from Beyond Good and Evil (she'll inevitably be mentioned, and for good reason) and the Inkling Girl from Splatoon, because I think it's great that young women have such a rad new icon who is just straight-up cooler than the boys in the game.

jade.jpg

flat,800x800,075,f.u6.jpg

Edit: Also, not to open up a can of worms, I'm on the side of the fence that sees Bayonetta as a powerful, sex-positive character.

Bayonetta-2.jpg

Last edited:

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
This is a cute attempt but there's a lot of room for improvement, especially when it comes to Peach. Less words and more action, Nintendo.

Onions

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo was still way ahead of any other company during the Gamecube era when I started gaming as a child. If it wasn't for the female leads of Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Sonic Advance and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles I might not be here today...
Clavat.full.125900.jpg

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is so cool! Nintendo has given us so many cool new female characters this year alone.

BotW Zelda, Urbosa, Riju, Ribbon Girl, Twintelle, Pauline (she's basically a new character)

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
No Palutena listed here :( She's the best.

Surprised Lucina isn't listed considering her popularity. No Dixie is pretty lame too.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Where are the Squid Sisters? Twintelle? Min Min? Lola Pop? Pretty much all of Fire Emblem's ladies (Lucina, for example)? Palutena? Viridi? Medusa? I could go on.

Also, I find it funny how they don't mention Smash Wii U in Rosalina's bio.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ok Nintendo, I love you and all, but i've got to get this off my chest:

Stop mentioning Sarasaland if your going to do nothing with the place. Please.