• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Even though she isn't a Nintendo character Maya Amano from Persona 2 IS/EP. She's essentially the most important character in both games she's in. Even being the protagonist for Eternal Punishment. She's a constant ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak situation. Her catchphrase: "Let's Think Positive/Let's Positive Thinking" are words I try to live by on a daily basis.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nancy Drew. Yeah, she started in novels, but her videogame career has been incredible. 32 games and that's just from adventure series. When the genre was dying off last decade Nancy was was the girl you could count on to deliver new quality adventures, with good plot and interesting puzzles, on regular basis. Even today, when adventure genre is doing fine, Nancy still keeps on trucking.
silentspy9-620x245.jpg

Beatrice from Umineko is the best troll in fiction, all while being very complex character on her own:
1448569279722.png

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I want to take this space to say I want a 2D Super Princess Peach sequel 4 player platformer starring Peach, Daisy, Rosalina and Pauline

You can make it happen, Nintendo!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm surprised they actually mentioned Daisy.

On topic? Ada's always been cool.
Ada1.jpg
*thumbs up*

Also, most of my favourites have already been mentioned, but I don't think I've seen Cate Archer yet from the No One Lives Forever series.

No%20One%20Lives%20Forever%202.jpg

Edit: Oh wait.

Cate Archer (No One Lives Forever). Great character/games that deserved much better.

DGV7O9s.png

http://nolf.wikia.com/wiki/Cate_Archer
Nice!

I guess another I'll mention is Joanna Dark from the Perfect Dark games.

Joanna.jpg

Last edited:

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this list means that they are seriously thinking about these topics. With Nintendo it's often one steps forward and two steps back. Case in point, Peach in Mario Odyssey. But then again, they've given us Samus and Birdo.

My shoutout goes to the first Portal. I recently realized that its cast is almost all female, motherhood being its main themes (involuntary adoption to be more precise). You could criticize GladOs for the evil stepmother trope, be her lines are mostly super funny. She's like Lucille Bluth in Arrested Development. GladOs is allowed to be funny, despite her being insane. I happen to think that a sense of humor is what makes a character strong, it implies that they are in control. Traditionally male characters are often given a sense of humor but female characters are almost overly serious. Nathan Drake has a sense of humor, Lara Croft not so much, which I find telling.

What other funny female characters in video games can you think of? Am I overlooking something obvious?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Dixie Kong, one of Nintendo's earliest female heroines :(

54dcbebe-25fe-4263-b6d7-ff01a800032b.jpg
Yeah, seriously. Unlike both serial-damsels-in-distress Peach and Zelda Dixie has a track record of ZERO kidnaps. In fact she already helped rescue Donkey twice and Diddy once from their own kidnappings!

Dixie also starred in her own game already once. Thats exactly one more game than the number of games Zelda has starred in. And don't even try to bring u the CD-i games into this... its telling that we'd have to scrap the bottom of non-cannon barrels to find a single Zelda game that stars the titular character! But hey, make way for Toadette am I right?

What gives, Nintendo?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I thought this was gonna be a thread about game developers, not characters, and I was getting ready to type a few paragraphs about Rieko Kodama. Oh well.

So I guess I'll go with her best creation: Alis Landale from Phantasy Star back in 1987. You didn't have to beat the game to find out that she was a woman, no, her identity was firmly established from the start and she was a great party leader.

latest

Fuck Sega for "waifying" her in PSO2

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to take this space to say I want a 2D Super Princess Peach sequel 4 player platformer starring Peach, Daisy, Rosalina and Pauline

You can make it happen, Nintendo!
We could never handle all that PMS'ing so its probably for the better that it'll never happen.

Don't take it on me! I didnt make Princess Peach save Mario thanks to her mood swings!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Judging by the way she threw Metroids around and casually dispatched everything in Samus Returns including the final boss, I think they heard us loud and clear.
Not to say it can't be tied to story, but that's just the gameplay and it was a Mercury Steam game. I'm just hoping if they make a second attempt at a Other M calibre story production some day, or even just the Metroid Prime sort of story the little bits of characterization for Samus aside from the obviously badass gameplay will come across as respectable. I think Samus is one of the coolest female characters to play as. She's probably my favorite. I just wish she had a character that lived up to this.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
img_6374g1s0t.png

Ayra. No contest. I mean, she is one of the most powerful characters in Fire Emblem. She's not even a main character.

7rsgf.png

Another excellent female character. Titania is just no nonsense warrior who's skilled and loyal.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda corny considering how they caved to gamergate and fired a female employee.

Good god, Gamergate had literally nothing to do with it. She was fired because her second job was in huge conflict with the family friendly face of Nintendo. When you're a public face of a family friendly company and your second job is in huge conflicts with that, that's kind of a big deal. Did people even follow that fucking story?

Plus, what does that even have to do with what they are now doing years later to empower women?

Anyways, Valkyrie Profile is my favorite franchise in gaming, sooooo it's obvious what my answer is, hahaha.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good god, Gamergate had literally nothing to do with it. She was fired because her second job was in huge conflict with the family friendly face of Nintendo. When you're a public face of a family friendly company and your second job is in huge conflicts with that, that's kind of a big deal. Did people even follow that fucking story?

Plus, what does that even have to do with what they are now doing years later to empower women?

Anyways, Valkyrie Profile is my favorite franchise in gaming, sooooo it's obvious what my answer is, hahaha.
Pretty sure most of the gaming media didn't bother saying what get second job was when it was uncovered and gaf actively locked threads and banned people.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
They should have included Cynthia from Pokemon and Medusa from Kid Icarus. I'm really surprised they made no mention of any FE or Splatoon characters too. It's sad they actually used Daisy when they have tons of other characters to choose from.

Neglected Nintendo franchise heroines unite!

Airan (Sin & Punishment)
tumblr_orqbsp6GgW1tuy4w7o1_500.png

Kachi (Sin & Punishment 2)
53438_Kachi.jpg

Sami (Advance Wars)

Airan and Kachi are great choices, can't believe I forgot them!

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not to say it can't be tied to story, but that's just the gameplay and it was a Mercury Steam game. I'm just hoping if they make a second attempt at a Other M calibre story production some day, or even just the Metroid Prime sort of story the little bits of characterization for Samus aside from the obviously badass gameplay will come across as respectable. I think Samus is one of the coolest female characters to play as. She's probably my favorite. I just wish she had a character that lived up to this.
I want her to be the coolest in every way too, but in Samus Returns there were indeed moments outside of gameplay where she was shown as a fearless badass, namely after the robot boss and before/during the finall boss. Actually I'd argue the latter was specifically done to make up for Other M, which I found awesome.

What? It was GGers who uncovered and exposed her sidejob, going as far as sending mails to NoA en masse complaining about it, but GG had nothing to do with it? That makes no sense.

Oct 27, 2017
I want her to be the coolest in every way too, but in Samus Returns there were indeed moments outside of gameplay where she was shown as a fearless badass, namely after the robot boss and before/during the finall boss. Actually I'd argue the latter was specifically done to make up for Other M, which I found awesome.

What? It was GGers who uncovered and exposed her sidejob, going as far as sending mails to NoA en masse complaining about it, but GG had nothing to do with it? That makes no sense.

Because they fired her due to her sidejob, not because of the people who told them about it. Prrreeeettty simple.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh, that Nintendo lineup aside from Samus. Most of Nintendo's good female characters are hidden in the older Fire Emblem games (not the new ones, which are regressive as hell).

Out of the big console manufacturers, it's crazy how badly Sony smacks Nintendo and MS around on this front.

JenniBee

Nov 2, 2017
Birdo.jpg

Gaming's First Transgender Female, and quite powerful in Super Mario USA.. especially when shooting fireballs rather than eggs.