• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Join us and #SAVETHESAVES to raise awareness!

This is Pyoro, one of Nintendo's many beloved characters.

pyoroxjs28.png

This cute little birdie and I have a few things in common. We're both cute, we both like to eat legumes, and we're both red as can be at the moment, albeit for different reasons.Of course, I'm talking about the news regarding Nintendo Switch Online's cloud save feature. Now, this thread is NOT about online discussion, or about reactions about the amount the fee is itself (go to another thread for that), this is about calling out pure greed for what it is, and yes, this is pure greed.

Now, saving data costs money and we recognize this. Whether you paid for a proprietary memory card in days of yore, an SD card, a hard drive, a flash drive, or had the cost added in for a cart, all of that costs money, and we recognize this. The option to back up non-cart data however, has always been free of fees for consoles and PCs. Basically, what we are saying is that if you have the means, you can do it, and do it as often as you'd like without an additional fees. It's always been this way, that is until now...

PC games? Copy paste to anywhere, with anything.
Sega CD? Buy multiple RAM carts.
PlayStation? Duplicate your memory card.
Saturn? Backup memory cart.
Dreamcast? Use extra VMUs or memory cards!
PS2? See PS1
GCN? Memory cards baby!
Xbox? Memory card it!
Wii? Grab an SD Card!
Xbox 360? Use a flash stick, memory card, or hard disk.
PS3: Use a USB flash stick.
Even The Wii U: Use a USB 2.0 Mass Storage Device.
PS4: Use a flash drive.
Xbox One: FREELY USE THE CLOUD
Nintendo Switch: NOPE!

For those not in the know, there is no way to back up Nintendo Switch saves to an SD card or via USB. The only option is the cloud this fall, behind a paywall, and that is a problem. What about little birdies like Pyoro that just wanna play on the go and don't need online play? Thanks to paywalled backups, it's one wrong bump on the noggin, and birdie go bye-bye, just like your saves!

Think about it this way. You can back up your computer without paying a fee. You can do the same thing for your tablet or smartphone. All those console mentioned earlier? You've got options involving no fees, for every single one of them, except for this one. Nintendo Switch is the console that stands to benefit the most from having backups, and the one that arguably needs it the most due to its portability factor. But don't just take my word for it, here are some thoughts others in our community have on the matter. This is just here on Era, but similar sentiments can be found all around.

Its not justifiable to not be able to back up your saves. There is no excuse

Forcing consumers to pay to save games is a new low for this industry. Nintendo need to come up with a physical method to save.

The sad part is that among current platforms, the Switch is the one with the biggest chance of being lost or stolen, alongside all your saves.

Even sadder is that some are defending this.

Yup. Even Sony didn't have the nerve to pull this with the much maligned Vita memory debacle. This is a new low.

Not letting you transfer saves to the SD card is the most egregious thing about all this.

The solution is right there but Nintendo wants to create a problem and then charge us to fix it.

I was playing Bloodborne a couple of years ago and trying to go as blind as possible, when I reached a point in the game where it felt like it was ending right after. Since I was a Souls veteran already, I knew that these games always end after the last boss and inevitably put you in a New Game + with no way to go back. So I made a back up of my save to a pendrive, and it happened exactly how I imagined. Now I had the means to go back and do all the optional content that I missed and enjoy my game to the fullest.
Backing up saves is a fundamental right that shouldn't be locked behind a paywall.

This is a basic service that should be available to everyone.

Have they announced any offline backup options? if not than that is bull.

You really should be able to backup your saves on an SD card. Why can't you? It's baffling.

I'm kinda fine with cloud saves being locked behind the paywall, but it's absolutely ridiculous to have no other way of backing up saves when even the Wii U and 3DS had it.

Nintendo doing more unexplainable things. We are in 2018... is it so hard to let your users backup the save data to a MicroSD or a Pen Drive? Nintendo Switch is the only console that doesn't allow you to do that. Shameful.

I agree this is pretty shocking. I need to send my Switch in to Nintendo for a repair but am too afraid of losing my BOTW saves. That's not a situation that is OK.

As someone who's Switch was almost lost for good, I fully agree. It's also a little disconcerting seeing some of the responses here.

This is absolutely shitty from Nintendo. Considering I hate online play (also, I have no matching phone), it is basically them telling me to pay 20€ to back up my saves for a year. All NES games I am interested in are on my NES as well, so it would really just be a pay-for-saves "service" for me.

I love Nintendo, but this is disgusting.

Honestly the lack of back up deterred my purchase of a switch for a while. I have had sh*t stolen in the past and the thought of losing my save makes me feel ill.

I have 250+ hours in Xenoblade and over 100 in Zelda. I'd never touch them again if I lost those saves.

It's absurd to think that I can't back them up to my SD card just because Nintendo thinks hackers will find a way in through saves.

I love my switch. But this, and the phone app are stupid, cumbersome decisions. And we're allowed to be upset by it.

I wrote this in another thread.

As a primarily PC gamer, the idea of cloud save services being packed behind a paywall is ludicrous to me. To have no natural way to back up saves on top of that just seems dumb to me. And I admit seeing some people defend it seems bizarre to me.

Nintendo having no solutions currently to back up your saves for Switch owners, and present it behind a paywall when it does appear is, frankly, anti-consumer as hell. Sony does it too, but at the very least there's a way to physically store your saves. Nintendo providing no method outside of paying them is frankly Nintendo's sometimes backwards systems they've had in the past rearing it's head again in an ugly way. Sure Nintendo doesn't HAVE to do anything here, but they are far behind their competition in this area, and frankly it's a pretty crucial area as saves are essentially a person's time and experience with a game. If they lose it, it's something they can't get back without the ability to back their saves.

I hope there's outcry and Nintendo listens instead of people defending this.

Backups should not be locked behind a paywall, period.

BUT WAIT, IT GETS EVEN WORSE!

I think the other thing that is worth noting is that the PR says "most Switch games."

Not all Switch games.

I fear this means that Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and any game with "special" unlocks/trades won't allow for save backup.

wNgZR9G.png

The cloud saves that Nintendo are forcing us into paying for don't even work for all their games.

No game whether it be because the save file is to big or I might be able to exploit the game in some way should be unable to be backed up, its absurd.

I just cannot comprehend how Nintendo think this is an acceptable solution to a problem only they have its totally baffling.

So backups are paywalled and Nintendo doesn't even include the ability for backups in all games?

Greed. It's pure half-baked, anti-consumerist greed, and we can call it out as such.

I love Nintendo, and I'm certain a lot of you do too. Nintendo fans are amongst the most passionate game players on the planet, but we have to call out bad practices and anti-consumer trends for what they are. Other companies in the gaming industry have made questionable choice in years prior, but because people like you and me raised awareness, change came about. Look at the policy updates for the Xbox One after the E3 reveal, or the lootbox tweaks in games such as Battlefront II and Shadow of War, or even Nintendo themselves being more inclusive in Animal Crossing by adding new skin tone options after the limited ones in New Leaf. The point is that when awareness to an anti-consumer situation is raised, people take notice, and change CAN happen.

What we want is simple, and any of these 3 options would be acceptable.
  1. An update to allow the backing up of save data via microSD.
  2. An update to allow the backing up of save data via USB Mass Storage Devices.
  3. A free tier of the cloud storage feature of Nintendo Switch Online for all, removing the backup paywall.
We're not asking much, we are honestly asking for the bare minimum, and we believe that if we act soon, we can make change happen.

Psycho_Mantis came up with #SAVETHESAVES, a brilliant, catchy hashtag! Use it and spread the word to tell Nintendo and the world that you just want to have peace of mind, without having to pay a fee for it. Tell them that a free option for backups is the only way to play fair! Be sure to link to http://bit.ly/SAVETHESAVESwhich links back here, so people can learn more about the issue and developments in this thread.

savedsaves3lsw8.png

You can also retweet this tweet if you'd like.

Additionally, in another thread, someone mentioned this.

If your upset about Nintendo's online service plans as well as this roll out of the virtual console (if you can even call it that).

Then I encourage you to go to the news section on your Switch console and downvote (oh)

stt3NgJ.jpg

It's in the news section....
sXvJTtC.jpg

If you go to the console's news section and "downvote" their NSO PR, it sends Nintendo a direct message that you are not satisfied with their announcement, so take a moment to Oh. it on your system. Just another way of sending a message, albeit a more general one.

What Gaming Websites & Bloggers Are Saying About The Situation

Kotaku: Nintendo Fans Campaign For Switch Backup Saves
Polygon: Nintendo Switch remains the only console with no free backup saves
/r/NintendoSwitch on Reddit: Their thread and discussion on this very thread!
US Gamer: The Nintendo Switch's Cloud Save Paywall Has People Mad
YongYea: Why Switch Users are Pissed at Nintendo's Handling of Save Backups

So spread the word! Contact your favorite blog, use the graphic above on your own site, retweet the tweet, and remember to use #SAVETHESAVES. Together, we can do it!

Last edited:

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
The sad part is that among current platforms, the Switch is the one with the biggest chance of being lost or stolen, alongside all your saves.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Even Sony didn't have the nerve to pull this with the much maligned Vita memory debacle. This is a new low.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time they ever charged for any sort of online, it's cheap af, and this is just included in the service.

People ready to get the pitchforks out for any straw they can grasp.

I mean, it's not the greatest service ever, but you get what you pay for.

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation charge you to automatically back up your saves in the cloud. I can guarantee that the most useful reason for backing up saves is when consoles die, rather than just backing them up for fun.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
This is the first time they ever charged for any sort of online, it's cheap af, and this is just included in the service.
Read the OP, this thread is not about online services, it's about putting a paywall for backups.

I don't see how anyone could defend it. And yep, like i mentioned, this is the console that arguably needs a backup method the most.

So, any hashtag or campaign ideas?

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesnt care, is the onlime multiplayer included in the 20 USD subscription? If so, I really dont get the big deal.

Microsoft and Sony hide basic things behind paywalls as well. Why the outrage now?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Memory cards weren't free, so even if you address that in the topic, you need to buy one to backup a save.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't even matter if SOME form of save management was offered locally. But nope. It's this or nothing.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesnt care, is the onlime multiplayer included in the 20 USD subscription? If so, I really dont get the big deal.

Microsoft and Sony hide basic things behind paywalls as well. Why the outrage now?
No one has ever hidden save management behind a paywall.

This isn't true ... you need PS plus tho back up your saves on the cloud
And you can back it up locally any time you want.

Oct 25, 2017
Just make the save files unencrypted, the OS is secure enough to basically make it basically impossible for homebrew, the Wii didn't get fucked because of that, it was completely broken. 3DS didn't either, but it's saves are all encrypted, just quit that shit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Whether you can back up saves locally or not, the OP is still incorrect given that Sony's cloud save service isn't free.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Read the OP, this thread is not about online services, it's about putting a paywall for backups.

Nintendo was one of the last companies in gaming to be putting anything behind a paywall. Were you praising them for it then?

This is included in a $20 yearly subscription fee, so next to nothing compared the evils of other publishers.

Last edited:

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Not letting you transfer saves to the SD card is the most egregious thing about all this.

The solution is right there but Nintendo wants to create a problem and then charge us to fix it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If cloud saves exist, then backing up exists. I'm sure local USB backups will be introduced in a future update

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You have another option besides cloud saves to back up your data.

False equivalence. PlayStation allows you to save them on a USB drive for free.

PlayStation still gives you local save management options.

That's all good and well but the thread title reads:

Nintendo Has Become The 1st & ONLY Major Console Manufacturer To Charge A Fee For Backing Up SavesI

It's simply not true. Like I just said, the most useful feature for something like this is to have them backed up automatically.

I agree, they need a system transfer type of thing, but as far as AUTOMATIC backups go, this is completely fine.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Read the title:

Nintendo Has Become The 1st & ONLY Major Console Manufacturer To Charge A Fee For Backing Up Saves

Sony's been there, done that, and gotten the T-shirt.
Again, point out where it mentions cloud saves specifically and not backing up saves in general. The OP and others have stated over and over that you are able to back up files via USB.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I would be a hypocrite to get upset about this now. I never knew before until this thread that PS3/4 allowed you to do any form of backup without your subscription, and I never saw a problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree. I think that if they're locking save backups behind a paywall, they better allow the user to make local backups themselves as well. If literally the only way to backup your save is to pay nintendo extra money then that's bullshit. If they add local backup as an option then we good.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's all good and well but the thread title reads:

Nintendo Has Become The 1st & ONLY Major Console Manufacturer To Charge A Fee For Backing Up SavesI

It's simply not true. Like I just said, the most useful feature for something like this is to have them backed up automatically.

I agree, they need a system transfer type of thing, but as far as AUTOMATIC backups go, this is completely fine.
The meaning is clear, you're splitting hairs on semantics when it's oretty clear what the OP meant.