• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
It's really impressive how Nintendo has managed to stay so consistent for so long. These guys have put out the games of the decade since the 80's.

80's - Super Mario Bros. 3 (Released 1988 in Japan)
90's - The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (1998)
00's - Metroid Prime (2002). Are you crazy and don't like that answer? Fine. Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
10's - The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Can't wait to see what classics they put out this decade.

And happy New year!

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
it's pretty easy to perfect your game design when you make the same games for every console generation.

(Not to say I don't love them, but they hardly have to innovate after having such solid foundations they helped mold).

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna start off strong with BotW 2. I too think they have been consistently the best in the business for 40 years. Incredible run.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
it's pretty easy to perfect your game design when you make the same games for every console generation.

(Not to say I don't love them, but they hardly have to innovate after having such solid foundations they helped mold).
Tjis would make sense if 3 of those 4 games didn't completely change the series.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
yeah it was definitely BotW, and not GTA V or Minecraft or Pokémon Go or Skyrim or Fortnite or Overwatch or LoL or Hearthstone or like a dozen other games

it was definitely the one Zelda game that finally broke the mold by copying decades-old western RPGs

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

You get more variation in Mario or Zelda as a series than most. Nintendo doesn't often do iterative sequels more than once or twice before breaking that mold in some way.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Is Metroid Prime consensus game of the decade for the 2000s? I would have thought RE4.

Hard to dispute Mario 3, OOT and BOTW for their respective decades.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's best is consistently among the best in the industry. Hard to argue with the two first at least (80's and 90's). Absolutely incredible accomplishments.

Edit: unsubbed. The topic was not created for anything but trolling it seems.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

What insanity is this?

What Nintendo game was as perfect as Mario 3 before it came out? What Nintendo game was like Ocarina of Time before it came out? Or like Metroid Prime/Mario Galaxy? Or Breath of the Wild?

Those are pretty innovative and revolutionary games and nothing like what Nintendo did before those games were released. How is the game of the decade "easy for them because they make the same games every generation" if those specific games were nothing like what they've done before?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Galaxy 2 instead of BotW though.

Bad takes on first posts continue even in this decade....bummer xD

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soulnado

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
yeah it was definitely BotW, and not GTA V or Minecraft or Pokémon Go or Skyrim or Fortnite or Overwatch or LoL or Hearthstone or like a dozen other games

it was definitely the one Zelda game that finally broke the mold by copying decades-old western RPGs

Posting this doesn't change the fact BOTW is by far considered the best game of the decade.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is the GOAT.

All 4 / 5 of those games are very different from each other though. None of them play like each other, and across 4 decades, he named 3 different series. Lets also not pretend that we are not playing sequels from every developer and other first parties like Sony have been doing the exact same genre all generation.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to argue with those going by general consensus. I didn't play many games from the 80s, but I think it's true for the latter 3 for me

90s: Super Metroid
00s: Prime or Galaxy
10s: BotW

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know Nintendo made Baldur's Gate 2.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to argue with those going by general consensus. I didn't play many games from the 80s, but I think it's true for the latter 3 for me

90s: Super Metroid
00s: Prime or Galaxy
10s: BotW
You could also argue Mario 64 was such a revolution to 3D games, that it should be the game of the 90s, I'll say this though, there are many genres, and many ways to be entertained by games, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who put say MGS as their game of the 90s, or RE4 as their game of the 00's.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
80s, 90s and 00s are fine, but BotW is not even the best (or second-best) Zelda game of the 10s.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are entitled to your own opinion. No Nintendo game appears in my top 10 for any decade, let alone the top 1.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
But Breath of the Wild isn't even a top 10 game, and a single game doesn't make a publisher "the best".

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You could also argue Mario 64 was such a revolution to 3D games, that it should be the game of the 90s, I'll say this though, there are many genres, and many ways to be entertained by games, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who put say MGS as their game of the 90s, or RE4 as their game of the 00's.
Oh yeah for sure, I'd put MGS above OoT for example. I don't think any objective statement can be made that specifically.

But yeah, I don't think it's arguable that they've had at least one game clearly in the running for the past four decades.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
They have certainly made some amazing games but they haven't had a game of the decade since OoT and even that has some pretty stiff competition.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
It's OK to be Nintendo fan, but stuff like this is always just an opinion and also largely depends on the region of the world we are talking about. Saying that BotW is the game of the decade in the west is one thing, saying that it is in Asia, for example, is a whole different discussion.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Go or Overwatch or LoL or Hearthstone or like a dozen other games

jayout-181x178.png

OP
OP
Soulnado

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I've seen TW3 claimed as game of the decade as much as BOTW probably.

I would like to see the lists you are seeing, because that is most definitely not true.

www.metacritic.com

Best Video Games of the Decade (2010-19)

What were the best games of the 2010s? Find out as we rank the decade's highest-scoring releases and compile of best-of-the-decade top 10 lists from a variety of video game publications.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
00s, WoW for me, and plenty other answers I'd respect

Let this be the decade where people stop arguing 97 metacritic is objectively better than 96 or 95, please.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I laughed at that joke but, scroll down to the games most mentioned on game of the decade list and you'll see that far's Opinion is definitely in line with the general consensus
I appreciate this a lot. At least from this metric it makes sense (speculation about nintendo bias in games journalism entirely notwithstanding). I retract my point.

Don't be lazy my g, that information is easily available online. Check metacritic for starters.
imagine calling someone else lazy because you can't be arsed to provide proof of a claim you're making

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I love Ocarina of Time, but the 90s had Final Fantasy VII. Unless you mean Game of the Decade nominees than I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.