• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
edi1kk2.gif

Today, on June 15, 2020, Nintendo of America's trademark application, US Serial Number 87274495, for "Eternal Darkness" which was originally filed on December 20, 2016 was abandoned. The status of the filing currently reads:

Abandoned because no Statement of Use or Extension Request timely filed after Notice of Allowance was issued. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page.
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87274495&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

The two prior trademark applications for "Eternal Darkness", US Serial Number 77932350 and US Serial Numbel 86017853, were abdoned for the very same reason. Likely Nintendo will just file in due time for a new trademark application for its horror title, as they have in the past.

Do you think there is hope for Eternal Darkness in form of a remake/remaster or perhaps as a new entry, or is it deemed to spend eternity in IP limbo?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe the Nintendo ninjas would go this far to obfuscate the fact that we're getting a new Eternal Darkness.

OP
OP
Rösti

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
Quick, let's crowdfund some money and register it!!
It's $225-275 per class of goods/services. If anyone truly wants the mark I don't think it would be too hard to get it actually. Nintendo is not actively using it in commerce (the game is not available for purchase through any of their channels I am quite sure).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It will always be immortalized in Smash Ulitmate with the Alex Roivas spirit... but that seems to be all we'll see of it.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not even asking for a sequel, but I think a remaster of the original would do extremely well on Switch. C'mon, Nintendo.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
I'm usually against pointless remakes but this is one of the few exceptions for me. A remake on the Switch could really raise this games profile. Frustrating that Nintendo has done nothing with this IP that has near infinite potential.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
We should pool our money and buy it and make an Eternal Darkness II that is about being trapped in a Nintendo Direct thread on ERA

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
So say if you trademarked this yourself, what would happen if Nintendo did want to trademark it again?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So say if you trademarked this yourself, what would happen if Nintendo did want to trademark it again?

I'm not an expert on Trademarks but I do believe they would have the opportunity to contest another party's purchase of the Trademark as a prior holder. Or something like that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't think the ip will ever come back. It sold poorly, no one at Nintendo is interested, and the studio that made it disappeared.

It is a lethal combination that there is no one left who cares about Eternal Darkness other than a handful of fans.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Sony let Nintendo use the Bloodborne enginge? Lol
they wont. it just would be awesome.

i remember the dyack game that was in development. it looked really good but dyack just lost all credibility to the gaming community so..
I don't think the ip will ever come back. It sold poorly, no one at Nintendo is interested, and the studio that made it disappeared.

It is a lethal combination that there is no one left who cares about Eternal Darkness other than a handful of fans.
yeah if anything we will probably see another fatal frame on switch.

Last edited:

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
One of my all time favorites, I was happy to beat it three times in a row just to get an extra 20 seconds at the ending.

But I would rather Nintendo not re-visit it until they have someone passionate about the IP -- only thing worse than no remake/sequel is a half-assed one

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Eternal Darkness is my favorite survival horror game. Such a shame everything that touches the game is cursed.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
no big loss. dyack sucks and one of the main programmers was a pedophile. others can do things with a similar tone without the baggage of the ip.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I truly enjoyed the first game but it's probably best to just let the series go at this point.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
This is like Nintendo keeping the source code of all the games releasing on their console, but instead it's a trademark.
Maybe in 10 years we'll get a remake.