Status
Not open for further replies.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
With today's Mario 35th Anniversary direct, it was confirmed that Super Mario 3D Allstars will release in just a few weeks, and Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury will be launching in February 2021. Together with Pikmin 3 Deluxe launching at the end of October, this means that Nintendo will have zero games releasing in November of 2020, arguably the most lucrative month for games for the year. What's more, this will be one of the biggest Novembers in recent memory, with two new consoles launching and a glut of new games being released across HD platforms. But barely any will be released for the Switch, and zero from Nintendo itself, leaving the Switch in a definite conundrum especially as it remains the biggest-selling platform worldwide by a large margin.

There's an obvious explanation - Mario 3D World + was meant to be the major holiday release, until COVID-19 happened. But with zero games this holiday outside of a handful of ports, and going up against two heavily-hyped console launches, I can't imagine how Nintendo comes out of their Q3 doing well.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
They announced a game today that comes out in 2 weeks time. Paper Mario was announced less than 2 months before it came out. It's way too early to say they don't have a game in November.

Of course they might not, what you say about 3D world makes sense and we can discuss that then, but right now nobody knows that.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm sure they'll announce something 2 weeks before it comes out just like the 3D All Stars collection.

3D World is filling that Jan slot that the other Mario game port came out in Jan.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
They announced Paper Mario about two months before its release.

September is still young.

Aug 27, 2019
They have a collection including their three of their biggest games of all time and Animal Crossing is still doing well.
Before today, I would have agreed, but there's no way they're not gonna come out of this poorly.

JTMarlin

Nov 6, 2018
With today's Mario 35th Anniversary direct, it was confirmed that Super Mario 3D Allstars will release in just a few weeks, and Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury will be launching in February 2021. Together with Pikmin 3 Deluxe launching at the end of October, this means that Nintendo will have zero games releasing in November of 2020, arguably the most lucrative month for games for the year. What's more, this will be one of the biggest Novembers in recent memory, with two new consoles launching and a glut of new games being released across HD platforms. But barely any will be released for the Switch, and zero from Nintendo itself, leaving the Switch in a definite conundrum especially as it remains the biggest-selling platform worldwide by a large margin.

There's an obvious explanation - Mario 3D World + was meant to be the major holiday release, until COVID-19 happened. But with zero games this holiday outside of a handful of ports, I can't imagine how Nintendo comes out of their Q3 doing well.

It's bc there is a November game and we don't know what it is yet.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3rd party November 2017 blitz is finally going to receive its sequel.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they got hit pretty hard by COVID but I also think they're smart enough to know that what they can release in the coming months is probably best kept away from PS5/XSX launches, since so far there are no real heavy hitters (3D All Stars is one, kinda, but not really). You don't put Pikmin 3 Deluxe up against a next gen console launch.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised if this ends up being the case between BOTW2, Metroid, and Bayonetta...I think they are giving this holiday up with the launch of the other consoles and will focus these more mature games for a beefed up Switch in 2021.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
How often does this thread need to be made. Nintendo had been announcing titles to be released in a matter of weeks since Covid happened. We'll see what happens. No need to make a thread on this every single week.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Is it totally unreasonable for them to announce and release something in the time frame they just did today?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Watch them drop BOTW2 on November 18 with the announcement on November 3. Nintendo doesn't give a fuck.

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
The overreacting threads are coming, I see

They are going to announce new games, we have 2 months until November

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
They announced a game today that comes out in 2 weeks time. It's way too early to say they don't have a game in November.

Of course they might not, what you say about 3D world makes sense and we can discuss that then, but right now nobody knows that.
A collection of 3 ports is hardly the same as a major release.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What everyone else said. They're not going to go into holiday season without at least one major release.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they've revealed all their releases for this year yet. I'm sure there will be some holiday slated title.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Pikmin comes out on October 30.

Apparently it only sells for two days, then evaporates.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nintendo completely gave up on this year a long time ago

They probably won't get their shit together until like, March

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After what they've shown today I am absolutely sure that Covid didn't just make things more difficult for them, but it made many things completely impossible because they weren't able to get everything up that quick if at all if I look at the Covid Japan situation where many people are not able to work from home.

The whole Mario Collection looks like a quick and easy cash in and setting a date will make sure that many people will have FOMO so that they will surely buy and play in that time, because there is nothing else so they try to maxmize that timeframe.

Even that collection cover was very...quickly done.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
The worst thing to me is that all their currently scheduled releases outside of that Mario Game toy/game are literally ports.

As someone that generally doesn't rebuy games I already own, practically every major announcement from the today means absolutely nothing.

What a bummer. This might be Nintendo's worst holiday in recent memory.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
A collection of 3 ports is hardly the same as a major release.

That doesn't really change anything I said. OP said Nintendo has zero games, we don't know that is true. OP also suggested Mario 3D World was originally going to be November's major release, which is closer to this collection than it is to a new major release. If that would have counted then another one can too.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when there was going to be no first party releases between Paper Mario and Cadence/Pikmin 3?

Feels like yesterday

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
this means that Nintendo will have zero games releasing in November of 2020, arguably the most lucrative month for games for the year.

There's an obvious explanation - Mario 3D World + was meant to be the major holiday release, until COVID-19 happened. But with zero games this holiday outside of a handful of ports, and going up against two heavily-hyped console launches, I can't imagine how Nintendo comes out of their Q3 doing well.

I wouldn't be so sure, they just announced Mario Collection that will be out in 2 weeks, so they could announced November game in November.

I wouldn't worry about sales of Switch and Switch games, Switch is selling like crazy hole year, and Mario Collection will have quite boost to sales.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Discussion around Mario Game and Watch is going to interesting mid November.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
As we've all witnessed today, you can start worrying 2 week before November is over. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.