Nintendo interrupts Smash Online Invitational Qualifiers commentary to defend its netcode

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK/FR
It's really weird to watch, and gets even longer (just click "full video for more context" and seeing the game lag again after that):

"the players aren't seeing this lag" is a weird defense when it's online.

edit: note that those are the qualifiers. The finals will be at PAX, not online.
edit 2:
edit 3:

So yeah, the lag is still in the VOD - the only thing they cut out was the interruption.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018
Ponds
It would have been better for them to say nothing, why try and pretend that tourney Smash players can’t notice the latency? Such a weird hill to die on when it’s completely obvious.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I would've just put the blame on Twitch or maybe not even noticed it since I'm not actually playing the game. The fact that he kinda points it out feels like the wrong move IMO.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK/FR
It would have been better for them to say nothing, why try and pretend that tourney Smash players can’t notice the latency? Such a weird hill to die on when it’s completely obvious.
I think I would've just put the blame on Twitch or maybe not even noticed it since I'm not actually playing the game. The fact that he kinda points it out feels like the wrong move IMO.
Yeah, acting like nothing was happening would have been better than cutting in the middle of a match.
Wait until the match is over at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Smash having bad online is the only reason I don't play it anymore, I'd be so into it if I could actually play with people. It's absolutely unnecessary for them to defend a bad service.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even comprehend who thought interrupting the middle of the final round of a best of three match with multiple minutes of thumb-twiddling netcode defense was a good idea. Like it's not a big deal in the big scheme of things in the world but it's just like...a human being actually made this decision?

Oct 27, 2017
First time I see some bullshit like this, and god knows we already had laggy online tournaments before in other Fighters. But at least they had the decency to shut up.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah online is worse in this than smash u. I still love the game but online is really a drag. I’m on a wired connection and still get inputs being ate or delays.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of shocked they'd even set this up knowing the online is iffy.
I genuinely think that Nintendo believe it’s pretty good, and at the worst playable most of the time.

Like since launch have they even addressed it outside of “online functionality improvements” in patch notes?