• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I thought this would go away when they started making us pay for it. Absolutely disgusting they can defend this.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
It's really weird to watch, and gets even longer (just click "full video for more context" and seeing the game lag again after that):

"the players aren't seeing this lag" is a weird defense when it's online.

Well, obviously they're trying to make people think that the lag is on their end capturing the footage instead of from the game itself.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this and had a good laugh. I feel like it's unprofessional to do this in the middle of a match, too.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will choose to believe that this is a post-ironic masterpiece, otherwise I will die from the cringe.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Fire all engineers who are responsible for this bullshit net code. For fucks sake Nintendo, I feel like your Online division is made up of people in their 60s who only know how to write code in Assembly and have no idea what internet is.

Get Harada or Tekken guys to fix it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit he literally paused the video........

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I was *SO* excited for Smash Ultimate. Like, super, super hyped. And the content and modes and movement all lived up to the hype. I should have expected it, but even when I was anticipating crap online, I was *still* disappointed. SU has the worst online I've experienced in a decade. It's horrible.

And yes, I have an Ethernet adapter. AND I have a gigabit internet connection at home. Most video games I get under 30ms ping.

The experience is inexcusable.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
C7S0ouqVAAANACj.jpg

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Fire all engineers who are responsible for this bullshit net code. For fucks sake Nintendo, I feel like your Online division is made up of people in their 60s who only know how to write code in Assembly and have no idea what internet is.

Get Harada or Tekken guys to fix it.
Bamco developed the game (and it's not like Tekken or Soul Calibur have great netcode either).

WeAreVenumb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just imagining a Vince McMahon style executive in their earpieces yelling "point out that the lag is fine, damn it!"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this and had a good laugh. I feel like it's unprofessional to do this in the middle of a match, too.
Yeah that is something you say at the beginnign or have something on the bottom of the screen. But to break in the middle of a match, jesus

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was confused when this happened and thought they were just referring to the stream being choppy

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't understand how in this day and age, I can play a 100 player death battle on a giant mode with 99 other people and it runs totally fine. For free.

But Nintendo has to interrupt their own invitational to defend their abhorrent online systems that we pay $20/year for.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quickly cuts away to let anyone know that all is normal. Thanks guy, no lies detected here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best part is they cut from the footage to tell us that. Looking at the actual twitch video and not the clip, they didn't even pause the match or footage (not sure if it was live or not), they match kept going. That's just bad presentation.

And lol at defending Smash's awful netcode.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I've still only had one problem time playing online with about 500 or so matches played

and in elite smash pretty much everyone has a good connection

my question is, isn't this more a problem with people's internet speeds than it is with nintendos servers or netcode? im guessing the sheer number of people who play and own the new game means theres bound to be a large percentage with shitty connections

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
the net play is so bad. Everyone's connection has to be flawless to get a good game going.
Why nintendo doesn't pony up for some dedicated servers for their biggest MP title is beyond me.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What's he saying here? That the server connection on the spectator client is bad, but not the players' clients?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've had pretty mixed experiences with Smash Ultimate online, and my SO legitimately stopped playing in response to the low quality for online.

I wanna be totally fair here: Is there a way this isn't an actual lie? In the sense of somehow their feed of the match is creating lag that doesn't exist for players?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wanna be totally fair here: Is there any way this isn't a actual lie? In the sense of somehow their feed of the match is creating lag that doesn't exist for players?
That's what I wanna know before people start jumping to conclusions, because they said the player connection was fine. Do any of the players have a Twitter or something that can verify whether or not it was the case? Because the way they worded it made it seem like they had buffering issues in that specific region. The rest of the matches in the other regions were pretty painless.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo needed to take into account that people might be microwaving hot pockets while playing.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep asking for servers for a fighting game?!
There are a lot of people that can feel how bad the netcode is in Smash but have no clue what would be needed to fix it.

The only way for Nintendo to fix the problem is to tear out and rewrite the netcode, because it's obvious that it's a shoddily-implemented delay-based netcode. Delay-based can be relatively OK when actually coded correctly, but there's really no excuse not to have rollback netcode for fighting games in 2019.

I feel like it would work, i'd definitely take the attempt over the current net code right now.
Dedicated servers do absolutely nothing for fighting games outside of adding another hop between users.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Lmao they stopped it right in the middle of a set to mention that? Even though we know that's a fucking lie and it would have been better to not say anything at all. You KNOW the other 2 are gritting their teeth. They know he is full of absolute shit.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up. It's an online tourney?

Competitive Smash is just the weirdest.