• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, never mind. I thought they were NOA. I suppose they're still official Nintendo-sponsored commentators but I first thought they were NOA for some reason.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
I agree that it isn't easy and cumbersome as hell, I don't think any of this is good at all, but again what I'm saying is that the average costumer doesn't put that much weight into that as people here claims, unless you don't realize that there's people who plays things like Candy Crush and doesn't understand they're playing a video game.

Too bad morons who pretend to lack reading comprehension don't make me laugh other with I'd be laughing too thanks to both of you.
check yourself before you come at others fam

none of that shit you wrote makes sense

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it isn't easy and cumbersome as hell, I don't think any of this is good at all, but again what I'm saying is that the average costumer doesn't put that much weight into that as people here claims, unless you don't realize that there's people who plays things like Candy Crush and doesn't understand they're playing a video game.

Too bad morons who pretend to lack reading comprehension don't make me laugh other with I'd be laughing too thanks to both of you.
HG3W.gif

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Thank god you can read though. Come on over to my place and help my mother, she put a SIM card in this huge long slot at the front of my PS4 pro, but her contacts that are on it aren't coming up! None of the buttons are ejecting it, we're out of ideas! Save us!

As the only person left on earth who can distinguish consoles from phones, save us!

Oct 29, 2017
I read the title and didn't believe it, turns out its even worse than it sounds lol. They actually interrupted the match like that.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Thank god you can read though. Come on over to my place and help my mother, she put a SIM card in this huge long slot at the front of my PS4 pro, but her contacts that are on it aren't coming up! None of the buttons are ejecting it, we're out of ideas!

As the only person left on earth who can distinguish consoles from phones, save us!
😂😂😂😂

brotha dead here. get a stretcher yall

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this thread has spiraled lmao. The commentators + that black dude whose name escapes me aren't NOA but in this case they do represent them so it's still a bad look.

I guess this is my last post before the lock. Have fun y'all! I'm gonna go play a video game.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Smash Online sucks unholy ass. Can't even play with my brother who lives 50 mins away. I've never not had a lag filled match, while plenty of other games are fine.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, is this shitstorm really necessary?
He just tried to gliss over a technical problem like any good host would do, never tried to "defend its netcode".
Nectwork slowdowns can happen all the time, and I've yet to see a game immune to it, especially a P2P one.

I wish this "bad netcode lol" meme would die, but I guess people really like their overreactions.

Noticing when an explanation that interrupts a presentation doesn't seem to make sense, and implies a problem people run into pretty regularly isn't a problem, isn't a shit storm.

And there are differences in how games deal with online play. People who play fighting games can be particularly tuned into how it's handled because it's a demanding genre, and yeah, sometimes the "netcode" itself is bad.

Acting like there's no difference in how well online modes work in different games because "slowdown can happen" is so simplistic it misses the mark.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Come on, every person that played more than 20 online matches knows that the netcode/online implementation for the game sucks.

I can have some decent match from time to time if the opponent has a good connection (I have good internet and play with the USB adapter, so I believe that from my side there's 0 problems), but most of the matches are not good enough. The game goes from "slight delay that makes precise play harder than it should" to "wow this Smash slideshow looks ready for the next investor meeting". And I play often with people that has Spanish-looking usernames, so even with the people in my same country the connections is not good.

All my friends gave up the online game because of this, and I play far less than I would because lag= bad matches=frustration. It's really bad, and Nintendo trying to make it look good is ridiculous.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
User banned (2 days): derogatory language

Too bad morons who pretend to lack reading comprehension. don't make me laugh! Otheriwse I'd be laughing too thanks to both of you.
check yourself before you come at others fam

none of that shit you wrote makes sense
Thank god you can read though. Come on over to my place and help my mother, she put a SIM card in this huge long slot at the front of my PS4 pro, but her contacts that are on it aren't coming up! None of the buttons are ejecting it, we're out of ideas! Save us!

😂😂😂😂

brotha dead here. get a stretcher yall

I am no match for you guys, you're all the biggest retards. You win!

See you.

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017

Lol!!!!!

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
That's pretty awful, and I feel bad for the commentators that are probably being fed some PR statement to say. I'm just baffled that they decided to stream the qualifiers in the first place, like what the fuck did they think was going to happen?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Its not

literally nowhere has people tripping over themselves saying smash online works like a dream
Buzzard Can you present evidence contrary to the article's statements? It seems that a large number of people have issues. I played Smash Ultimate on solid internet that doesn't have lag in other games、 and that is a common complaint.

I gave it a number of tries while using the free demo of the online. The experience was bad enough that I finished getting the online challenges and didn't pay for the online. And I refuse to pay for the online until it improves.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would he even open his mouth to say something about it? Are these PR people completely oblivious to the internet?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This is why Id rather throw a $20 bill down a well than be a Switch online subscriber. Im tired of laggy online and this vid just says they have no intention of improving their network.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry. I don't know who or what I'm sorry for or who to apologize to. I'm just so sorry.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is so bizarre and hilarious.

It was also hilarious every time the commentators had to cut themselves off when saying characters were "killed" to say "KO'd" instead.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Nintendo got confused between a phone and a console and that's why their voice chat is on phones instead of where it should be

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
My online experience is mixed. The connection is usually good, but there are matches that are VERY bad. Losing even a few frames in Smash can screw you over.

I feel like it would work, i'd definitely take the attempt over the current net code right now.
Considering how popular Smash is and how demanding it is to keep a lag-less game, that may be a good option.

Last edited:

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Weirdly enough, the online is really smooth in Japan (for me and my friends). It's so unfortunate that they couldn't figure out how to replicate it for people worldwide.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
TBH I play most nights and this is 1/10 matches. It sucks but I deal with it cause its smash and theres no better multiplayer experience for me personally.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
It truly is amazing how much worse Smash's online is compared to pretty much every other game out there.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough, the online is really smooth in Japan (for me and my friends). It's so unfortunate that they couldn't figure out how to replicate it for people worldwide.

Japan has some of the best internal internet connectivity in the world. FTTH everywhere, robust LTE/4G network. I'd not be surprised if the ping between Kumamoto and Wakanai isn't under 20ms. Not to mention there are tonnes of players, so no reason for matchmaking to take you beyond Japan.

This is not an accident. Nintendo really don't think very much beyond their own borders (in line with many Japanese as it were)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Japan has some of the best internal internet connectivity in the world. FTTH everywhere, robust LTE/4G network. I'd not be surprised if the ping between Kumamoto and Wakanai isn't under 20ms. Not to mention there are tonnes of players, so no reason for matchmaking to take you beyond Japan.

This is not an accident. Nintendo really don't think very much beyond their own borders (in line with many Japanese as it were)

Yeah it's more an indication of Japanese infrastructure than Nintendo doing anything right. I wouldn't be surprised if they did most of their testing in Japan and decided the performance there was acceptable and didn't concern themselves too much with worldwide performance. The devs might even be surprised to find out that the game actually has issues worldwide.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The netcode is fine if you're on a wired connection.

Nope, this was a sad realization for me when I got my ethernet adapter. It helps guarantee that my side is without problems, but my Wi-Fi was always fine / same room anyway and I haven't noticed any difference.

However, I do wish there was an Ethernet Players Only queue. That might help a little and at least take out shitty wi-fi out of the equation entirely.

jcnet

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Their great "net code" is why I have 15 minutes played of SSBU.
Bro the game has a single player you would have been perfectly capable of playing the fully fleshed out single player instead of just giving up the game entirely.. If not the 90s era of console must have been really unfun for you.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Geez, what a shitty way to deal with the situation. Lag is whatever, people can deal with that as shitty as it is that it exists, but don't lie about it.
Is the guy who says don't worry a nintendo worker?
Yes, he's a member of the treehouse and has been part of the treehouse live and tournament streams at e3 for several years

Mittens

Oct 29, 2017
Queensland, Australia
As an Australian, which is a country with rubbish internet, I find online really smooth as well. I've heard so many people trash on the Smash netcode and I'm starting to wonder if it's an America focussed issue

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bro the game has a single player you would have been perfectly capable of playing the fully fleshed out single player instead of just giving up the game entirely.. If not the 90s era of console must have been really unfun for you.
This isn't the 90s and the problem is, Nintendo still treats modern gaming like it is. Its entirely possible to get both. Having a great single player does nothing to diminish the failings of the multiplayer. Most triple A games today have fantastic single player AND multiplayer WITH functioning online. Hell, that statement could be true two generations ago. Nintendo still can't accomplish this.

Feb 2, 2019
The netcode is fine if you're on a wired connection.

Nope and I live in France, with an engineer as a boyfriend and a 300mb/s connection, through fiber. Smash online is awful because of its netcode, not because of people connection.

As an Australian, which is a country with rubbish internet, I find online really smooth as well. I've heard so many people trash on the Smash netcode and I'm starting to wonder if it's an America focussed issue

No. From what I can tell, it's shitty in France too and my friends in France and UK are complaining about it too.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Geez, what a shitty way to deal with the situation. Lag is whatever, people can deal with that as shitty as it is that it exists, but don't lie about it.

Yes, he's a member of the treehouse and has been part of the treehouse live and tournament streams at e3 for several years
I guess it's just a one man's mistake trying to be good with the companny.
Shouldn't have said anything lol

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has a console without an ethernet input jack. Of course they don't understand the internet.