• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The online is trash for Smash which is really upsetting. I got it for myself and my nephew so we could play and it's so laggy on my end I literally can't even play with him.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Even when I've played in games where everyone had Ethernet, it's only really been playable. I still can't play as speedy characters online as there's this weird split second delay that makes it a real pain to play. Still playable though.

Get someone without Ethernet though, and you borderline just shouldn't play as the game becomes a slideshow at times. Really, really bad for such a huge game.

Feb 2, 2019
I don't get why so many Japanese companies completely ignore the rest of the world's internet infrastructure when designing them. Ensuring healthy overseas competitive scenes is more important than ever, and yet they always make half-assed solutions when GGPO exists already.

Did you see how much copies Ultimate sold worldwide ? Nintendo don't care unless it's hitting their wallet. Sad, but true.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I tried watching it live and that shit was really bad, extremely laggy matches

Also I knew the online for switch was going to be shit, and that's why I haven't purchased it. The trash online service should be free

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai actually touched on the netcode in an interview.

Since online play is completely synchronized in this game, everything stops if the connection falters. It isn't like in Splatoon or Mario Kart where you can keep playing smoothly while everything around you lags – everything stops. So, in addition to GSP, online play prioritizes short distances for matchups.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...a-plant-character-changes-online-much-more/4/

Since Smash (a platformer) needs to be completely synchronised and tick at 60Hz (Mario Kart is around 25Hz and Splatoon is around 16Hz), it's going to be quite demanding on your connection. 5GHz connections or a LAN cable is recommended for smooth play.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nobody said it's easy,but we ain't exactly talking about an indie dev with limited resources here.

smash bros it's a fighting game, fighting games online have certain requirements to be met to be acceptable,and smash ain't meeting those.

if no game nowadays managed to have a stable netcode i would agree with you, but since that's not the case and we are in 2019, it's nintendo that needs to step up their game instead of the customers being understanding

EDIT:sorry for the double post

Except that Smash isn't a traditional fighter where you can use rollback. It's heavily movement based. Everything needs to be in sync otherwise it all falters. Moves can make you fly at specific directions and players need to adapt to these directions.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played several matches without any problems. I just don't understand how this is Nintendos fault?
Why don't the people complaining try to develop their own netcode? See how easy it is to fix everyones latency. Every single action needs more bytes to be transferred. Taking one step forward with a character? That's probably SEVERAL THOUSAND BYTES that have to travel possibly hundreds of miles within a second. For comparison sake, A text message is 140 bytes . So imagine that you're sending like atleast a dozen or more text messages simultaneously.
That's why latency happens.

That's not even counting the stress on the hardware. When it suddenly gets this influx of more bytes, it has to delete already existing bytes on the "memory" (also known as RAM), that can cause the game console to get bogged down while having to organize these bytes into bits (a bit is a smaller byte) to save space while at the same time accepting delivery for bytes through the internet.
Ridiculous to blame the devs, blame physics.
I'm actually having trouble breathing, this post is Era's version of (I'm an expert)

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Exactly, there are a multitude of things that could affect online performance:

- Your ISP's connection quality.
- Your wifi quality.
- The other guy's ISP connection and wifi quality.
- Network congestion.
- Physical distance between you and the other guy.
- The game's online implementation (that is to say, netcode).

Criticising netcode is a far more specific thing that complaining about "online performance", and it's a perfectly legitimate thing to do. So take your own advice, and until you learn what netcode actually is, perhaps stop the ironic concern trolling about people criticising netcode without knowing what it is? Thanks.

You don't get to tell me what to do. Thanks.

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
hahahahahaha Nintendo come on, there's lag even if you're playing Offline with other Switches beside you.. beside you!

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Exactly, there are a multitude of things that could affect online performance:

- Your ISP's connection quality.
- Your wifi quality.
- The other guy's ISP connection and wifi quality.
- Network congestion.
- Physical distance between you and the other guy.
- The game's online implementation (that is to say, netcode).

Criticising netcode is a far more specific thing that complaining about "online performance", and it's a perfectly legitimate thing to do. So take your own advice, and until you learn what netcode actually is, perhaps stop the ironic concern trolling about people criticising netcode without knowing what it is? Thanks.
People criticize netcodes because everything you mentioned apply to every game's online play, so when they see one game running well online and another struggling despite using the same setup, it's mostly the netcode's fault.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Except that Smash isn't a traditional fighter where you can use rollback. It's heavily movement based. Everything needs to be in sync otherwise it all falters. Moves can make you fly at specific directions and players need to adapt to these directions.
So just like all other fighting games then...
Actually, having very long input delay and generally longer startup for most actions in Smash than most FGs makes it more suitable for rollbacks, lol.

Only thing that might actually not work as well with rollback netcodes is teams play, but it's not like those work with the current netcode either! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew you'd be around, gonna tell us how cheap this service is compared to the other platforms as well? I mean, that's what you keep doing in this thread about Nintendo's online service.

It is awful, sadly, and they haven't learned in so many years. It's very disappointing.
Dude stop harrasing me in every thread if you dont like how I reply, please stop. Thank you. Like you the only one with this unheathy obsession.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Pulling away from the match like that and making excuses is 100x more embarrassing than just acknowledging network hiccups.

Also Nintendo needs to implement GGPO, but pigs will fly before that happens lol.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I've seen Era posters do the same shit lmao

"Never seen lag for me! All smooth just buy an Ethernet adapter"

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash Ultimate is the worst online game I have ever played in terms of connection issues.

Which is dissappointing considering it's like the biggest fighting game.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've played several matches without any problems. I just don't understand how this is Nintendos fault?
Why don't the people complaining try to develop their own netcode? See how easy it is to fix everyones latency. Every single action needs more bytes to be transferred. Taking one step forward with a character? That's probably SEVERAL THOUSAND BYTES that have to travel possibly hundreds of miles within a second. For comparison sake, A text message is 140 bytes . So imagine that you're sending like atleast a dozen or more text messages simultaneously.

That's not even counting the stress on the hardware. When it suddenly gets this influx of more bytes, it has to delete already existing bytes on the "memory" (also known as RAM), that can cause the game console to get bogged down while having to organize these bytes into bits (a bit is a smaller byte) to save space while at the same time accepting delivery for bytes through the internet.
This is AMAZING! I don't even know what to say... You are a treasure.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said that the ones complaining are the vocal minority.

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
wait if the Netcode is Namco fault, why is(almost) everyone in this thread dragging Nintendo thru the ground about it.??
Nah, not really needed in 1V1 fighters. It's a simple situation of Namco fucking up and Nintendo covering it.
Basically.

The thread was made to highlight the terrible PR, but some people (console warriors or not) are taking it as an opportunity to shit on the Nintendo Online service when it's not related.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
"the service has gotten to a really good start"; "the service is off to a great start"; "helped in large part by Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"; "the recen release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate built on the first surge in membership".
How is this evidence? They're talking about memberships and numbers. They are not discussing the quality of the multiplayer in Smash and how much lag players are experiencing. I want to see your evidence that the majority of Smash players are having a good experience with few connection issues. My friends in real life, and many I see online just have negative experiences. That's not a minority.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Next time a hear about a plane or boat crash somewhere I'll blame physics.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017

This post will live in infamy!

Mods; please give this man the tag of "SEVERAL THOUSAND BYTES" That links to this post!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'd rather people just talk about performance being poor than specifically mentioning netcode.
You don't get to tell me what to do. Thanks.

The hypocrisy here is just too much. :D

People criticize netcodes because everything you mentioned apply to every game's online play, so when they see one game running well online and another struggling despite using the same setup, it's mostly the netcode's fault.

That is exactly correct. :) (check the context, and the bolded at the bottom).

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm pretty sure this post isn't real, but I love it just the same. Classic.

I wish N prioritized online play but they just don't care. I expect trash and if it's ever better than trash, I am just pleasantly surprised.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That boy said blame physics. smh the more i go on as a gamer the more I'm convinced we deserve the treatment we get

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is hilarious considering their last two consoles don't even have an Ethernet port. So even if you buy this bullshit adapter, everyone else is still on god awful WiFi.

Its like they don't even want people to enjoy online gaming.
Online-games aren't all the same. You can't compare the effort in how to build a good online-performance between online-shooters, -fighters and -platformers. Shooters use a lot of tricks, so that the online-experience work flawless. Also some gameplay allows for a better game-flow in an online-space.

If you look at Smash, it is an unique platform-fighter (so there aren't many references or people with experiences) and the gameplay isn't build for an online-environment. Nintendo may also have not the best online-structure, but there other online-games work and Bandai-Namco has a lot of experiences.
Look no further then PlayStation All-Stars, where people were also very angry about the online-lag in the game.

Of course, as a customer, you shouldn't care for "but it's hard ...", but people in this thread acting like it is an easy task, undersell the effort.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oops let me correct my post online is fine if you're wired AND have good internet

What a bunch of nonsense. I have the ethernet adapter and an extremely fast connection, and the netcode sucks.

Even when I play with friends that also have the ethernet adapter and great internet, the netcode is a hit and miss. And even at peak performance, the netcode's delay is still noticeable on fast characters.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I genuinely think that Nintendo believe it's pretty good, and at the worst playable most of the time.

Like since launch have they even addressed it outside of "online functionality improvements" in patch notes?

considering how nintendo online was made with Japan's infrastructure in mind and NCL doesn't seem to think servers for any games are important because of that (though SSBU won't work with servers anyway) I wouldn't be surprised if Japan having better outcomes than us is the reason why they think it's no big deal since Japan seems to enjoy the service.

1V1 matches are fine on SSBU, even wirelessly if you have a good connection but anything above that can make a laggy mess if all sides aren't stable online. Keep in mind the switch hates 2.4 GHZ Connections and won't play nice with them so anyone who uses that setup, even wired will have tons of issues

And wait, this livestream was of a pre-recorded tourney? That just makes it more sad, especially since NOA has no control over fixing the online quality in the end. Reggie's statement about servers looks dumb now

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
How did I know the defence force would be here trying to deflect things onto Namco. Holy shit, Nintendo isn't your friend, as the buck stops at Nintendo with anything they choose to put their names on. If Namco made a shitty online experience, it's still Nintendo's fault. They can't take all the praise as none of the fault