• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Era: Nintendo stock plummets 4%! Investors are furious.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down a decent amount cause they'll probably temper expectations about going into China and that was directly related to their 10%+ bump last week. I feel like that happens every few years. People go crazy when they hear China.
it already had the china bump, so im 100% expecting they to go down monday morning, and further down during investors meeting when Nintendo says anything related to other other than "WE ARE GONNA SHIP 100M this Fiscal Year" cause investors cant into realistic expectations.

and to whoever asked, during the Investors Meeting Day.
IR Meeting Jan 31: NTDOY = DOWN
IR Meeting Oct 31: NTDOY = UP
IR Meeting Jul 31: NTDOY = UP
IR Meeting May 2: NTDOY = UP

Last edited:

Green098

May 19, 2018
40 million!? Switch isn't going to have sold 7-8 million units in the January-March quarter.

Total hardware sales being updated to 35 million sounds more about right.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Smash 14m, Let's Go 11m
Switch FY2018 18m+
Next FY goal probably over 20m

Hopefully we get updated sales data for Xenoblade 2 :(

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
So thanks to the China reveal I made some decent money with Nintendo stock, but didn't sell yet. While I expect that their stock will be even higher at the end of the year, I'm unsure what will happen in the next days/weeks. I kinda think it will go down a bit, so I'm considering to sell my stock now and buy some new stock after a drop.
Anyone else here who has Nintendo stock and would like to share his expectations for the next few weeks?

Sold half of my stock on Thursday at +25%. I also believe it will be higher at the end of the year, but I was kind of "overinvested" there. Also, one has to admit, that Nintendo is already valued quite highly if we lock at the trailing PE ratio.

Next week(s) will be interesting. I except a negative "post announcement drift" on Monday and Tuesday if there are no new and even more positive news regarding China. Maybe a drop on Wednesday, if current expectiations are not beaten by a good margin. No idea what kind of numbers the market really expects right now.

Thursday then depends on what Nintendo says in regards to China (and Mobile). If they temper expectations and have nothing concrete on the Mobile front, I expect the price to go down (but potentially recover from that over the next weeks). Afterwards, I expect not much movement in the stock before news of a revision, more concrete information on China, or E3. The release of MM2 will be a factor in June and should start of a a continous increase (due to news about sales of the titles selling from Jun - Dec), I hope.

In the end, no one knows and analyst talk will also be a big influence, as usual.

EDIT: Another factor is the Golden Week , starting April 27. No Japan guidance in regard to the Nintendo stock might make it more volatile (at lower volumes, hopefully).

Japan's 10-day holiday stirs concern in traders and investors

To mark the ascension of Japan's new emperor, the government has declared an unprecedented 10-day holiday from late April to early May, worrying investors, who say a market shutdown could cause disruption and unsettle the yen.

It will be the longest break ever for Japanese stocks and bonds.

Japan's financial watchdog has told all financial institutions to alert customers about the possibility of turbulence in overseas markets during the shutdown, and to make sure their systems can cope with a flurry of activity before and after, documents obtained by Reuters showed.

Last edited:

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
Has Nintendo ever had a Direct the same day as an Investor meeting?
Only reason I ask is because the Persona announcement that day, A Hat In Time announcement that day,
and also the support for Mario Odyssey and Breath Of The WIld will be added to VR.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watch them announce 25 million and we will have non-stop crazy discussions on era :p

If ever there was a time they could hit 20-25 million Switch hardware sales in a single FY, it's when they already have a very successful piece of hardware on the market while also adding a cheaper, more portable version of said hardware aimed at kids alongside the first major new Pokemon Gen and apparently Animal Crossing and even Monster Hunter (at least in Japan).

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
switch: 12m (will surpass wii u total sales this holydays)

smash: 6m not that great, the grinch leak really hurt it
splatoon 2: tw101 flop-tier, maybe it can reach bayonetta if lucky
yoshi: 9m, 75% attach rate in just 2 days

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
News about Mario Kart Tour and Dr Mario mobile. Really excited for Dr Mario.
Maybe first official words about the Switch "mini"
They'll confirm (once again) that no games announced for 2019 will get delayed (won't stop ResetEra to predict the delay of Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing)

Warlord

Feb 1, 2019
Switch: 35 million, close to 36
Shipment for FY20 : 18 million

software
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 16.5M
Super Mario Odyssey: 14.5M
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: 16M
Zelda BOTW: 12.5M
Pokèmon P/E: 12M
Splatoon: 9M
Super Mario Party: 7M
1-2 Switch: 3M
Mario Tennis Aces: Close to 3M
Kirby SA: 2.75M
Yoshi: 1M

Announcements: E3 Date and time, Info about Future Mobile games, News about Movies and Nintendo World, More info about the China Deal.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
For clarification, Nintendo's FY 2018 Financial Results Briefing is scheduled for April 26 (Friday, JST) , 2019. The 2018 Fiscal Year Earnings Release is scheduled for April 25 though, and in conjunction with the earnings release there is often a news conference in which members of the media have a chance to ask questions.

As for what to expect, the presentation should not differ in terms of disposition much from that of last year: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180427_2e.pdf

I am interested in more information on Nintendo's E3 2019 plans and also something I am expecting them to talk about during the briefing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You think they sold over 7 mil this quarter, and over 2 mil beyond their initial 20m goal after adjusting it down? Bold. For reference, they sold 2.92 mil Q4 2018. I have no idea if YoY growth is likely or not, but I can't see how a 140% increase would happen.

Based on tracker data I'd estimate Q4 to be about 30% up YOY in terms of sell through. If that translates to shipments (no idea if it will) then we're looking at about 4M for the quarter which gets them close to 19M for the FY and around 37M total, if I'm not mistaken. Certainly not 40M of course.

Yes, I'm on a similar boat. Smash had only 3-4 weeks of sales during Q3. Even though it was a very busy period, I think it's possible it sold 33% of that in Q4.

Yeah, the initial shipment was of course huge but I'd be shocked if there weren't also substantial restocks after the holidays. I think 4M for the quarter is almost guaranteed, and it could probably even go as high as 6-7M for a total of 18-19M. Smash is probably gonna get ahead of MK8DX for the time being, though I can see MK retaking the lead in the long run.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Switch sales: ~34.85 million

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: ~18 million
Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 16 million (overtakes Super Mario Odyssey)
Super Mario Odyssey: 15.4 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 12.5 million
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee: 12 million (might be more, and might move above Zelda)
Splatoon 2: ~9 million
Super Mario Party: 6.67 million
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: 4.92 million
Mario Tennis Aces: 3.1 million (overtakes 1+2 Switch)
1+2 Switch: 2.99 million
Kirby Star Allies: 2.61 million (knocked off the top 10)
Yoshi's Crafted World: 2.1 million

Trying to account for the post-holiday bump in the US, gift card usage, etc.

Last edited:

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the initial shipment was of course huge but I'd be shocked if there weren't also substantial restocks after the holidays. I think 4M for the quarter is almost guaranteed, and it could probably even go as high as 6-7M for a total of 18-19M. Smash is probably gonna get ahead of MK8DX for the time being, though I can see MK retaking the lead in the long run.
You far overestimate Smash, around 3m is what it must have done last quarter, close to 4m is pushing it. No data suggest so huge shipments.

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Im interest to see what the current zelda numbers looks like

Thinking that it may have surpassed 13m of units is insane to me lol

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
mention of the Switch Pro, coming for "hard core" gamers, news later in the year.

mention of new non console related media like the detective pikachu movie and smartphone gaming

new Switch models to attract casual audience

Splatoon 2 has sold uber amount of copies

expecting next year to be good

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You far overestimate Smash, around 3m is what it must have done last quarter, close to 4m is pushing it. No data suggest so huge shipments.

Really? It seemed to be the primary hardware driver since December so I would have assumed it had some pretty big shipments since then. I guess I'm not sure about how much of the initial shipment was sold through before the end of Q3, if there was a lot of stock left after the holidays that could explain the discrepancy.

Hasn't it also been consistently very high in the eShop charts since it launched?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I predict they will put out another set of investor PowerPoint slides, and I will enjoy reading through them greatly :>

Faxeo

Apr 21, 2019
I hope they announce that Animal Crossing is still a game of 2019 and that at E3 we'll see it. Then it would be nice to hear about this switch pro and get the dates of the Nintendo E3 conference

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
They already revised down from 37 million. 40 million sold is really farfetch'd.

Smas might clear 15 million, BoTW will not. Odyssey might.

They will absolutely not show or tell about E3 in the metting.

Mobile News is a possibility, but not given. Definitely not Zelda.

No hints for revisions at event like this. They will have their own announcements.

You want too much from this.
BotW should be VERY close to that number. It's chances to hit 15 million are just as good as Odyssey I think.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
  • Projected hardware sales for this fiscal year (18-19 million units)
  • Labo VR relative numbers (significant improvement over past Labo kits)
  • Smash Ultimate is the ultimate Switch software in sales
  • No new mobile announcements, but maybe hard dates for Mario Kart Tour and Dr. Mario World
  • Reiteration of multi-media efforts to expand reach of IP like the Mario movie and the Universal Studios attractions, and vague promises of more efforts in the future TBA
  • No Switch revision info
  • No E3 plans

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Stock will go down; that happens with these, right?
Buy on rumor sell on news is the way of the game

Anyway I look forward to hearing them be grilled in the Q&A section about the Tencent partnership since investors will want to know every detail they can about that. Though I do hope they clarify what is gong on with their mobile sector as it's been lagging in ways I don't like since it started a few years ago.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
For clarification, Nintendo's FY 2018 Financial Results Briefing is scheduled for April 26 (Friday, JST) , 2019. The 2018 Fiscal Year Earnings Release is scheduled for April 25 though, and in conjunction with the earnings release there is often a news conference in which members of the media have a chance to ask questions.

As for what to expect, the presentation should not differ in terms of disposition much from that of last year: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180427_2e.pdf

I am interested in more information on Nintendo's E3 2019 plans and also something I am expecting them to talk about during the briefing.
giphy.gif

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Acknowledgement of a revision this year, 25M(+) FY2019 hardware prediction, Mario Kart Tour unveiling, and heavy discussion about Universal Theme Park 2020 and olympics business synergy for the next FY. Basically: