• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
In general, 2D, but I enjoyed most of the 3D titles as well.
I think Super Mario 3D World and Metroid: Other M did the best jobs of bringing the immediacy of 2D gameplay into 3D environments, and BotW is just a goddamn masterpiece.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say I lean towards the 2D side. Particularly for Zelda and Metroid.

I think Nintendo have sold 2D Mario short this past decade with the "New" series. I have high hopes that one day soon they're going to wow everyone and show us what a truly new 2D Mario can bring to the table.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Very tough...

I think 3D Mario has the highest highs for me, but 2D Mario is more consistent with its greatness.

While 2D Zelda is super amazing, I think the 3D ones had the highest highs AND best consistency. So 3D Zeldas are my favorite (though I want to see more 2D Zelda games).

And Metroid... Never really got too much into the Prime games, so 2D for me.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I vastly prefer their 3D games nowadays.
2D is for me something for indie space, home of quirky writing, edgy content Nintendo would not tackle, and other elements that make it surprising but budget-friendly.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
2D Mario and Metroid
3D Zelda

Though not a popular opinion, i actually care more for New Super Mario Bros games than new 3D stuff like Odyssey. While i like a lot 2D Zelda/3D Metroid despite liking their counterparts more.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up with the N64. 3D easily for me. I've tried playing the 2D Mario and Zelda games but usually stop half way. Obviously they are really well made games..they just aren't for me unfortunately. I struggle to really get into most 2D games for whatever reason.

I never really gave Metroid a shot, but I've greatly enjoyed Guacamelee and Steamworld Dig 2 so I think after all these years, I finally figured out the style of 2D game I really enjoy. Definitely makes me want to try out the 2D Metroid games.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer 3D Zelda but still enjoy 2D Zelda. I love 3D Mario, but can't really get into 2D Mario so much. The only 2 Metroid games I really like are Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1, but I guess I prefer Super Metroid and Zero Mission is ok so I'd pick 2D Metroid.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
2D, most of the time, on all three. I vastly prefer the immediacy of the 2D games, putting you straight in the action and with something to engage with all the time, but on the other hand I see what other people value in the immersion too. Sometimes I want to explore too.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Definitely depends on the series.

I think I have come to appreciate 3D Mario more than 2D Mario as Odyssey is way more appealing to me than the NSMB series.

Although I am really into Metroid Prime, overall I have to give the 2D Metroid games the edge. Zero Mission, Fusion, Samus Returns, and Super just can't be topped.

Zelda I am a little conflicted about. If you asked me before BOTW, I would have said 2D because of my love for ALBW and Minish Cap and Adventure of Link (and so on) compared to my relative apathy regarding Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, and Skyward Sword. In a post-BOTW world though I can see 3D Zelda being the preferred format for me.

What I can say for sure is that the half measures between 2D and 3D design for each series (3D Land for Mario, Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks for Zelda, and Other M for Metroid) are not good. Don't try to blend again because it's a disaster.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
2D for Donkey Kong. Unlike latest Mario games, Donkey Kong 2D games are very exciting with their faster pace and much more challenging level design.

To be fair there has only been one real 3D DK game

If Retro were allowed to make a 3D DK I bet it would be amazing

That said, you are right, the new 2D DK games are great

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
This is an interesting study. Because I love both of these for each franchise. I do think that, generally, I will almost always tag a big budget 3D adaptation of those franchises over a 2D one though. Call me shallow, but I love seeing them developed as AAA franchises, not handheld titles.

JavyOO7

Oct 27, 2017
Both. Nintendo and their teams have shown that they give a poop about 2d/3d for the series mentioned in the OP title

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3D all the way. Just find the 3D entries in these franchises much more compelling in terms of world and gameplay.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Good thread.

3D unquestionably, I take huge issue with their 2D titles because they tend to not have the ambition of the 2D titles from the SNES era (ALBW being one of few exceptions): New Super Mario Brothers, for example, made no attempt to build on Super Mario World.

And so yes, I do consider their 2D titles to be lazy.

and really good first post. I feel the same way - Nintendo has been squandering the potential of their 2D games by treating them as nostalgia factories rather than as places where new ambitious benchmarks can be set and whimsical new worlds can be introduced. Although I think I'd disagree with you about ALBW. It has the same failures as the NSMB series did for me.

I think I actually prefer the 2D Mario gameplay template on the whole, but the 2D Mario games are just so uninspired compared to the 3D ones. For Zelda and Metroid, it's kind of a toss-up as to which gameplay I like better.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario: 3D
Zelda: 2D (NES only)
Metroid: None

3D Mario consistently has my favorite games of these three franchises, but Zelda II is my favorite out of anything of these games has ever produced.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Mario : 2D
Metroid : 3D and we'll pretend the last Wii game never existed.
Zelda : 3D.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Really good first post. I feel the same way - Nintendo has been squandering the potential of their 2D games by treating them as nostalgia factories rather than as places where new ambitious benchmarks can be set and whimsical new worlds can be introduced. Although I think I'd disagree with you about ALBW. It has the same failures as the NSMB series did for me.

I think I actually prefer the 2D Mario gameplay template on the whole, but the 2D Mario games are just so uninspired compared to the 3D ones. For Zelda and Metroid, it's kind of a toss-up as to which gameplay I like better.

Exactly right. I prefer 3D for all of them, but a large part of that is purely because the developers clearly don't care about the 2D games as much as the 3D ones, and that comes across strongly while playing.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
3D is superior in every respect. There are just so many more gameplay and design possibilities.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Metroid: Push. Super Metroid is the best, but Prime 1 n 2>the rest of the series.

Zelda: Definitely 2d, i think 3d zelda low key sucks outside of Breath of the Wild.

Mario: Push, nsmb is lame, but I love Mario 3 n World as much as I dig Mario 64 n Galaxy 2.

In recent years definitely 3d titles, because there is a lack of ambition to the 2d titles from Nintendo which is unfortunate. A Super Metroid 2 could be the bees fucking knees.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Nintendo's 3D games over their new 2D games, but I prefer Nintendo's 2D output from the NES, Game Boy, and SNES over everything.

The two 3D games Nintendo has created that hold a candle to their NES, Game Boy, and SNES releases are Metroid Prime and Breath of the Wild. Nothing else is in contention for me, though a couple 3D Mario games come kinda' close.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
3D was the great leap of my childhood. It captures my imagination in a particular way.

I like 2D games and functionally-2D games though. Some of them a hell of a lot. Just 3D is where my heart is.