• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo of America has reportedly allowed customers to cancel their digital pre-orders for Pokemon Sword and Shield on the Nintendo eShop.

Redditor sQuBNsc26U9whKWJ, who was unhappy about the cuts in Pokemon Sword and Shield, requested to cancel their game and had their request approved. Nintendo approved the cancellation on the basis of the culling of Pokemon. Nintendo rarely allows cancellations for digital games – the last time this happened was with Overwatch.

Whelp, how often does Nintendo let you cancel digital games and their 1st party games. This may imply Nintendo is not happy with GameFreak's handling of the backlash situation of the cut dex.

https:///nintendo-is-allowing-players-to-cancel-their-pokemon-sword-and-shield-digital-pre-orders/

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Whelp, how often does Nintendo let you cancel digital games and their 1st party games. This may imply Nintendo is not happy with GameFreak's handling of the backlash situation of the cut dex.

https:///nintendo-is-allowing-players-to-cancel-their-pokemon-sword-and-shield-digital-pre-orders/

Or maybe they just know it will cause a bigger stink if they don't let people cancel their preorders.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh i'm hoping it's not just because it's pokemon but more of a general policy change re: digital.

Oct 27, 2017
This may imply Nintendo is not happy with GameFreak's handling of the backlash situation of the cut dex.
I'm pretty sure it's a TPCi issue, not Gamefreak specifically. They're just a dev. They're not necessarily in charge of PR. Also didn't this happen with Overwatch?

Maybe...Nintendo just allows you to cancel any preorder if you ask now...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean shouldnt you always be allowed to cancel your pre order before release?

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That reddit name with an easy to fake screenshot has me unconvinced.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This shit is getting out of hand. Not the actions of the consumer, they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want, but the reportage of the gaming media being so false. Nintendo didn't cancek the game because of the culling, and if the redditor did cite that on some refund form I doubt they gave it any thought. I am kinda shocked that it got this far however, the outrage was nowhere near this big during Gen 5, even with the added fact that the national dex still existed.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Isnt this like the same case with Overwatch? It is probably just allowed because (I dont know) it is a legal requirement on Europe? Similar to how Sony also allows that nowadays.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So is that going off of one person?

Swear this seems to happen everytime the internet hates a game, pretty sure you'll get a refund on any game you pre-order if it's your first time.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I'm pretty sure it's a TPCi issue, not Gamefreak specifically. They're just a dev. They're not necessarily in charge of PR. Also didn't this happen with Overwatch?

Maybe...Nintendo just allows you to cancel any preorder if you ask now...
It's already been confirmed that this was on TPC. Gamefreak was given a largely harsh ass fuck work regiment from them which is to blame for the dexit.

edit: misremembered the reddit comment.

Last edited:

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
This shit is getting out of hand. Not the actions of the consumer, they are entitled to do whatever the hell they want, but the reportage of the gaming media being so false. Nintendo didn't cancek the game because of the culling, and if the redditor did cite that on some refund form I doubt they gave it any thought. I am kinda shocked that it got this far however, the outrage was nowhere near this big during Gen 5, even with the added fact that the national dex still existed.
Ah, I see you are new to Nintendo Soup

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It's already been confirmed that this was on TPC. Gamefreak wasn't given a lot of things to develop this game, and specifically weren't allowed to use all the pokemon in this game
"confirmed" by? Cause it sure as hell sounds like something fake taking into account that ( I dont know) GF owns 33% of TPC and the IP.

Sounds like a fake Reddit rumor.

Nov 23, 2017
It's already been confirmed that this was on TPC. Gamefreak wasn't given a lot of things to develop this game, and specifically weren't allowed to use all the pokemon in this game
Conspiracy theories now huh. What does "wasnt given a lot of things to develop the games mean? They had 1000 people work on it in some capacity. Why would tpc force them to use less? This makes no sense and I've never seen any source say this.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Can we not use Nintendo soup. They aren't reliable at all. They love to spread clickbait drama with zero facts.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Okay, this is reading in to things way too much. I'm absolutely sure that Nintendo would refund a pre-order for most titles if you asked nicely and had any sort of logical reason for the cancellation. Many companies say they don't allow refunds but do if you actually reach out to customer service.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Vocal minority, this is taking Nintendo to the promised lands this christmas
It should be standard practice to refund unreleased games anyway, especially digital

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So is that going off of one person?
That reddit name with an easy to fake screenshot has me unconvinced.

Not that I really would hold to a particularly high standard, but I am so tired of "news stories" based entirely on the unverified claims of a single person on Reddit or Twitter.

Yes, one person raised a stink on a customer service call and got a refund......that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is getting refunds.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Ah, I see you are new to Nintendo Soup
The only news I get is from Resetera, because fuck going to dedicated sites. Sometimes Kotaku does good pieces, YT covers my needs to find news abouy dev insight or cover pieces, but that's it. Especially for Nintendo games, "journalism" is at an all time low for company specific outlets, and that goes for all of the big three.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Aren't you allowed to get one (and only one) refund by Nintendo? At least that's what I've read several times

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about this controversy is people making stuff up to support their narrative.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Seems like cutting of Pokemon is bigger deal than I thought it would be. Unless this applies for every other game.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You should be able to cancel preorders for anything right up until the moment it ships. Are they normally non-refundable?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're allowing cancellation of any preorder for any games. What even is this?
You only need to find an excuse and they let you go through. There are no special cases. Stop linking to Nintendosoup.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I'm almost positive I've gotten a refund for a digital purchase before that was not pokemon related

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are gonna freak the fuck out out when they find out you'll be able to cancel BotW 2 pre-orders.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
That's good, people should be able to cancel their preorders for anything if they feel the product won't be satisfactory.