• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Good!

That's the right approach. Let them leave if they don't wish to be there anymore.

Honestly, just institute a standard refund policy on any games not launched, if preordered. Why is this so difficult?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to me that since Pokemon games don't change a whole lot from iteration to iteration, and the one thing they CAN change is the Pokemon themselves - that so many people are unhappy about the fact that old Pokemon won't be available in the new game. Shouldn't people want to see NEW Pokemon? Is that not the exciting part? I love Animal Crossing but I'd be totally happy seeing New Horizons having none of the old Animals and a whole group of new ones - I realize that's apples and oranges, but still.

I'm like a super-casual Pokemon fan (I will be buying the new one) and I continue to feel as though I'm missing something here, despite reading a lot about this whole thing. Not because I don't understand why people are upset, but because I don't understand why people are upset to the degree that they are.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
News next week: "Pope cancels Christmas, rumors says it's related to Pokemon Sword and Shield backlash among children who asked Santa for the game".

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I hope this leads to serious change for the better at both GameFreak and with the Pokemon license when used for games.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to me that since Pokemon games don't change a whole lot from iteration to iteration, and the one thing they CAN change is the Pokemon themselves - that so many people are unhappy about the fact that old Pokemon won't be available in the new game. Shouldn't people want to see NEW Pokemon? Is that not the exciting part?

I'm like a super-casual Pokemon fan (I will be buying the new one) and I continue to feel as though I'm missing something here, despite reading a lot about this whole thing.

Some folks have spent years transferring their Pokémon and were excited to use their favorite Pokémon in the latest games. With Sword and Shield if the Pokémon is not coded in the game then they simply can do that.

So say if someone loves Bulbasaur and has been using them across 7 generations, well Sword and Shield is the first generation where they can't as Bulbasaur is not in the game. And for some folks it's upsetting to see that their favorite not coming along for the ride and they are having to wait for the next Pokémon game to use them.

Personally, I am not too happy about the Pokédex cut but I have accepted it and don't mind if Charizard ends up sitting out the next game. I still have gen 1-8 and he will return in future titles.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It's weird to me that since Pokemon games don't change a whole lot from iteration to iteration, and the one thing they CAN change is the Pokemon themselves - that so many people are unhappy about the fact that old Pokemon won't be available in the new game. Shouldn't people want to see NEW Pokemon? Is that not the exciting part? I love Animal Crossing but I'd be totally happy seeing New Horizons having none of the old Animals and a whole group of new ones - I realize that's apples and oranges, but still.

I'm like a super-casual Pokemon fan (I will be buying the new one) and I continue to feel as though I'm missing something here, despite reading a lot about this whole thing.
On one hand there is a legit criticism buried underneath all this because 500 Pokemon will be left out of the most recent games and will eventually end up stuck in Limbo, boxed in Pokemon Home until a game comes out that you can use them in. On the other hand, hell no nobody cares about the new Pokemon, Gen 5 taught us that.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Nintendo Soup should just be banned at this point. It just spreads misinformation. Remember when Let's Go's preorders were falling at an alarming rate? Or when X game/system was sold out in Japan?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
its not a story
you can cancel any preorder
It's sad that today I received my Sword and Shield Switch Lite and got excited for Pokemon again, to then read this and the other thread of harassing I forget who involved in the game and idk, I'm not excited. I'm sure I'll be back where I need to be once I play it but the desire to talk about it is at an eh level. My fault for reading all those pokemon threads about the fucking pokedex.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some folks have spent years transferring their Pokémon and were excited to use their favorite Pokémon in the latest games. With Sword and Shield if the Pokémon is not coded in the game then they simply can do that.

So say if someone loves Bulbasaur and has been using them across 7 generations, well Sword and Shield is the first generation where they can't as Bulbasaur is not in the game. And for some folks it's upsetting to see that their favorite not coming along for the ride and they are having to wait for the next Pokémon game to use them.

Personally, I am not too happy about the Pokédex cut but I have accepted it and don't mind if Charizard ends up sitting out the next game. I still have gen 1-8 and he will return in future titles.
Ah, that's fair, I suppose. Are you excited about the new Pokemon? Does that excitement outweigh or at least match your disappointment? Or no?
On one hand there is a legit criticism buried underneath all this because 500 Pokemon will be left out of the most recent games and will eventually end up stuck in Limbo, boxed in Pokemon Home until a game comes out that you can use them in. On the other hand, hell no nobody cares about the new Pokemon, Gen 5 taught us that.
Gen 5 was the only one to sort of start you off with ZERO old Pokemon, right? To me that's the way to go, but based on the other comment above I could see why that would upset some people. I don't know - to me, perhaps if Pokemon changed a lot more between iterations - I could definitely understand the disappointment. You want to see your old pals in a new environment. But since they don't change a lot (I'm not trying to debate this, but as a casual fan it's just my view) - to me, new Pokemon is the part that's exciting. Hell, I'd love it if you didn't know a THING about any of the new Pokemon until you started the game - I think that'd be fucking awesome.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking back Black and White would probably be kind of meh if not for the addition of 150+ new Pokemon. Well, the animated sprites were neat too.

But a lot of the features and improvements were "under the hood" that if the game had a less flashy display of new Pokemon might've not been seen by as many folks.

I always thought the main scenario beyond the cool endgame was pretty limited without much flair...no Cycling Road, no Safari Zone, no Game Corner equivalent, nothing comparable to Contests other than the forgettable Musicals, the main game was actually missing a lot of key features.

But I think a boatload of imo solid designs and stuff like infinite TMs and HMs being optional really helped.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dexit people.

You guys aren't special. More than likely this is for any Nintendo game digital.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
I'm pretty sure it's a TPCi issue, not Gamefreak specifically. They're just a dev. They're not necessarily in charge of PR. Also didn't this happen with Overwatch?

Maybe...Nintendo just allows you to cancel any preorder if you ask now...

It's already been confirmed that this was on TPC. Gamefreak was given a largely harsh ass fuck work regiment from them which is to blame for the dexit.

edit: misremembered the reddit comment.

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...res-and-leek-size-of-pokemon-sword-and-shield

Obviously, there's been some criticism about not including all of the legacy Pokémon in the game. How much of that is related to the challenges of this already being a huge team and the staffing resources it would take, and how much was it a creative decision that you knew you'd have to get to eventually?

Masuda:
I think it's fair to say that both are involved. I mean, in any design situation, resources and time are always a constraint on what you can do in a project. But at the same time from a creative perspective, it's part of a discussion we've had at Game Freak with Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, and we came to the decision that, at some point, we need to be able to prioritize new gameplay ideas. We need to be able to find a way to balance the right number of Pokémon and also still introduce new ways for players to enjoy the game, new gameplay ideas to keep the series fresh and enjoyable far into the future.

OP
OP
pokéfan

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, that's fair, I suppose. Are you excited about the new Pokemon? Does that excitement outweigh or at least match your disappointment? Or no?

Oh god yeah. I have always wanted a region based on the UK, my home country. And I have seen the new Pokémon and I am excited to use them and I have always stride to use newer Pokémon every generation.

The only Pokémon that I reuse is Charizard and thankfully he's in Sword and Shield and like I said, I don't mind playing Pokémon games where he's not in the Pokédex. I love the series a lot and plan to keep playing it.

Insaniac

Jul 27, 2018
I thought with digital versions of games on the Nintendo eShop, you are not pre-ordering a game, you are pre-purchasing the game, and all sales of digital games and content on the Nintendo eShop are final... hmmmm.

I was able to cancel my smash bros pre-order. I don't remember the exact details but I pre-ordered the one w/o the fighter DLC pack and they canceled it for me so I could get the one with the fighter DLC (for the extra gold coin promotion)

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...res-and-leek-size-of-pokemon-sword-and-shield

Obviously, there's been some criticism about not including all of the legacy Pokémon in the game. How much of that is related to the challenges of this already being a huge team and the staffing resources it would take, and how much was it a creative decision that you knew you'd have to get to eventually?

Masuda: I think it's fair to say that both are involved. I mean, in any design situation, resources and time are always a constraint on what you can do in a project. But at the same time from a creative perspective, it's part of a discussion we've had at Game Freak with Nintendo and The Pokémon Company, and we came to the decision that, at some point, we need to be able to prioritize new gameplay ideas. We need to be able to find a way to balance the right number of Pokémon and also still introduce new ways for players to enjoy the game, new gameplay ideas to keep the series fresh and enjoyable far into the future.
This quote really excites me for the future of Pokemon, no matter what imo in the long run we will see the benefits of only having a national dex.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really bad look from Nintendo here. How do they think it makes the fans who pre ordered this game feel? Let me tell you, if makes them nervous cause I'm one of them and I'm feeling concerned purely because of this.

They should have stuck with their policy and have confidence in their game.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
lol at preordering a digital game before you know 100% that you want it

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Really bad look from Nintendo here. How do they think it makes the fans who pre ordered this game feel? Let me tell you, if makes them nervous cause I'm one of them and I'm feeling concerned purely because of this.

What in the world...

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Aren't you allowed to get one (and only one) refund by Nintendo? At least that's what I've read several times
the policy a few years ago when I was there was that no refunds period unless there was a reason for it (accidental purchases, stolen cards, etc), so if you just straight up didn't vibe with a game that wouldn't be a good enough reason

if you argued enough and got escalated you could get one also

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

I feel like I'm losing my mind in these threads

I don't know what's sarcasm or serious anymore

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
the policy a few years ago when I was there was that no refunds period unless there was a reason for it (accidental purchases, stolen cards, etc), so if you just straight up didn't vibe with a game that wouldn't be a good enough reason

if you argued enough and got escalated you could get one also
A couple weeks back I asked for a refund on a digital purchase because I wanted to purchase that game physically instead and since it was my first time they allowed it but said they would never do it again asking me to be more careful, I'm 100% sure that this is a policy that you can refund 1 game once.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I concur with NintendoSoup getting dropped. They will give you a refund if you ask for it.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
Man, they are sooo gonna patch the whole national dex in. Else this will turn into a pr disaster of epic proportions that will ruin Gamefreak, Nintenendo and probably the whole country of Japan itself.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Regardless of my feeling towards SwSh, this is good and refunds should ALWAYS be available. It's disgraceful that they're not.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god yeah. I have always wanted a region based on the UK, my home country. And I have seen the new Pokémon and I am excited to use them and I have always stride to use newer Pokémon every generation.

The only Pokémon that I reuse is Charizard and thankfully he's in Sword and Shield and like I said, I don't mind playing Pokémon games where he's not in the Pokédex. I love the series a lot and plan to keep playing it.
That's good to hear! I'm psyched too, and I haven't been psyched about a Pokemon game in a loooong time. I'm excited about the fact that I'm excited lol.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
A couple weeks back I asked for a refund on a digital purchase because I wanted to purchase that game physically instead and since it was my first time they allowed it but said they would never do it again asking me to be more careful, I'm 100% sure that this is a policy that you can refund 1 game once.
It's likely changed since I left since *especially* digital game purchases were something we were instructed to say no to. I think there were cases like yours where it was fine but I think we required a receipt for some people with bad histories.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo says they don't offer pre-order refunds but every time a game comes out with any controversy around it, there's an article about how someone got a refund. It's always a YMMV situation and you shouldn't read into it