• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking at the eShop and saw Doom now has a placement on there. Nintendo is coming up in the publisher title for Doom. Not sure if this was known or obvious, but just wanted to point it out. I'm wondering if Wolfenstein going to be in the same boat as well.

Send me to hell if old.

EDIT: Just to clear up any confusion, while it says that Bethesda is the publisher on the website, I'm looking at the eShop Channel where Nintendo just put the page for Doom. Right under the game title is the publisher title, which is listed as Nintendo.

I also believe that Nintendo's website originally listed Bethesda as the publisher as well for awhile until it updated later to show Nintendo. The website's listings aren't exactly the most up to date, as Etrian Odyssey V is still listed as Fall 2017.

EDIT #2: Ok, this may be incorrect. Not sure if a mod wants to change the title or not. But I'll leave this here
I'm looking at press releases as of a week ago, and Doom is listed as third-party published. Capcom published USF2 but Nintendo distributed the game and even handled review code distribution of the title. Odds of the eShop listing being mistaken seems likely.

Last edited:

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Sounds like Nintendo will eat that cost until mature games are properly established on the platform

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of what I thought when it was first announced. I wonder if that'll be the same case for Wolfenstein II.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
I never actually researched the matter but always wondered: what can it cost to publish games like Doom or Wolfenstein? But most of all, what is behind those cost?

Ebisu

Oct 27, 2017
It seems Nintendo REALLY wants to have these games on the switch. I hope this strategy works for them, because at first sight it seems impossible for them to attract the PS4-XBONEX-PC audience.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Ninty making the investment to ensure some big third party games on the console. Good.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Just as I suspected. These ports are Nintendo's idea.They really were knocking some doors. Wonder whose door else they knocked? Now we're getting current gen ports, I want to see what else they can bring to Switch. Like RDR2?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I never actually researched the matter but always wondered: what can it cost to publish games like Doom or Wolfenstein? But most of all, what is behind those cost?

This is coming straight out of my butthole, but the things I'd assume the publisher is responsible for would be:

- Manufacturing the actual physical carts
- Certification and legal junk
- Advertising
- Press releases
- Paying the developer (in this case, the people behind the port)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The Doom Marine Amiibo should have speakers and just constantly blare At Doom's Gate at high volume as soon as you take it out the package. It should be solar powered so that you can't even turn it off.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a rumor also that Fallout 4 was going to come to the Switch? If Nintendo made some deal with Bethesda to publish some of their games, that might be more likely to happen now.

Curious if a deal was made to try to get The Evil Within 1 & 2 over as well.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Really like to know what the contracts with Bethesda look like and wonder if we could see something similar with other Devs/Pubs?

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this? I just checked the eShop and it's saying Bethesda is the publisher.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Where is this? I just checked the eShop and it's saying Bethesda is the publisher.

I'm still seeing it when you click on Doom's page on the eShop. It's right until the title for the game. On the other pages, it's listing other publishers under the title.

EDIT: Just reset my system to be sure. It's still showing Nintendo on the listing.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Nintendo is doing so many things right this generation. I already love Kimishima.
KhbliUa.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM published by Nintendo. Never thought I'd see the day.

Keep it up, I say. The more Switch games the better!

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking at the website, I'm looking on the eShop on the system itself. It's showing Nintendo there.

I also think Nintendo originally listed Bethesda as the publisher on their website for a bit before updating it later. But I may be wrong. But the system eShop page is absolutely showing it.
Ok then. I just wanna be sure (Doom being published by Nintendo is hard to believe)

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Supporting 3rd parties is absolutely the right path for Nintendo. Can't just rely on 1st parties forever (although Indies are doing their part tenfold).

Stuff like this only helps build trust with Nintendo and other 3rd parties, and hopefully means devs would be a bit more willing to go through the extra work for Switch ports. Good for you Nintendo for not using stone-age era policies.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Ok then. I just wanna be sure (Doom being published by Nintendo is hard to believe)

Yeah, I understand. I will say that Nintendo is really weird about updating both their website and the eShop channel. LA Noire is still not listed on the system eShop, and Eterian Odyssey V is still listed as a Fall 2017 title that can be pre-purchased on the website.

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this leads to lots more N published Bethesda games. Prey, Evil Within 2, Fallout 4, Wolfenstein:TNO to go with its sequel. I would buy them all.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
It seems Nintendo REALLY wants to have these games on the switch. I hope this strategy works for them, because at first sight it seems impossible for them to attract the PS4-XBONEX-PC audience.

I dunno. I mean I'm just going by my own feelings but I'm one of those audience that had no interest in Nintendo since at least the gameboy color (and even the gameboy was only for pokemon). And I'm really interested in the Switch (I'm saving up my credit card points to justify buying one). But I did want to see third party support for it (since I don't tend to care for many Nintendo games). And honestly, it really does help to see games from a third party that never before had shown interest in Nintendo (and personally, in one that makes a lot of games I like. I mean my dream would be a Fallout on a handheld..).

The fact that it is a unique console that can be a handheld too I think does have some appeal that MS and Sony don't offer. And with Nintendo's reputation for being successful with handhelds appeals to the same crowd the Vita was trying to appeal to. Except being a console too makes the price more palatable (and more likely to sell more. I really do think the Vita's biggest downfall was a price > 200 for a handheld). I am pretty sure I've seen quite a few Vita owners who express that it looks like it could be the successor. I mean I feel that way about it.

Just as I suspected. These ports are Nintendo's idea.They really were knocking some doors. Wonder whose door else they knocked? Now we're getting current gen ports, I want to see what else they can bring to Switch. Like RDR2?

This is the right move if they want to start getting third party back. THey really did a lot of damage with the past few consoles in that regard. I have been saying for a while that if Nintendo wants to get third party back, they are going to have to put a lot of effort into it. Looks like they agree with me (and hopefully it succeeds).

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo may be assisting in some of the distribution; similar to what they did with Ultra Street Fighter II. Nintendo has Doom listed as a third-party published title on press releases and other product listings. Skyrim is outright listed as Nintendo published on the same listings.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo may be assisting in some of the distribution; similar to what they did with Ultra Street Fighter II. Nintendo has Doom listed as a third-party published title on press releases and other product listings. Skyrim is outright listed as Nintendo published on the same listings.

Just looked at the eShop channel page on the system for Ultra Street Fighter II. On it's page, the publisher is listed there as Capcom. So I don't think this is the same situation unless Nintendo mislabeled it.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Now the Switch has done as well as it has, I'm sure many 3rd parties will come to the platform independently of Nintendo paying them too. But I imagine when the deal to bring Doom / Skyrim to the Switch was happening no one probably expected this and Nintendo had to cough up to make it happen.

GeeDuhb

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Makes sense. Sounds like Nintendo will eat that cost until mature games are properly established on the platform

Great point. Totally makes sense and would be an awesome move on Nintendo's part.

Nintendo just keeps doing all the right things with the Switch. I keep wanting to declare they have finally learned, but part of me is still waiting for them to screw up (in a big way at least..their implementation of Online still leaves a ton to be desired).

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Just looked at the eShop channel page on the system for Ultra Street Fighter II. On it's page, the publisher is listed there as Capcom. So I don't think this is the same situation unless Nintendo mislabeled it.
I'm looking at press releases as of a week ago, and Doom is listed as third-party published. Capcom published USF2 but Nintendo distributed the game and even handled review code distribution of the title. Odds of the eShop listing being mistaken seems likely.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

Shit. Alright, I'll make a note of that in the OP. Thanks for the heads up.

baltic

Oct 27, 2017
This is coming straight out of my butthole, but the things I'd assume the publisher is responsible for would be:

- Manufacturing the actual physical carts
- Certification and legal junk
- Advertising
- Press releases
- Paying the developer (in this case, the people behind the port)

Well seems logical. I wonder what is their cut on the profits.

Anyway as long as we get a diverse portfolio of genres on the thing i'm gonna be super happy with it. And it's looking good.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
That's weird, as Bethesda (don't shoot me) is handling the press review copies. I'd imagine if Nintendo was handing it, people would need to work with Nintendo. It could be a mistake, and it wouldn't be the first time it's happened. Not sure if many remember when NBA 2K18 on the Switch was listed to be released a day before the other versions and I had to hit up my Ninny rep to ask what was up with that.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
That's weird, as Bethesda (don't shoot me) is handling the press review copies. I'd imagine if Nintendo was handing it, people would need to work with Nintendo. It could be a mistake, and it wouldn't be the first time it's happened. Not sure if many remember when NBA 2K18 on the Switch was listed to be released a day before the other versions and I had to hit up my Ninny rep to ask what was up with that.

Not over here (Belgium). When I asked the pr person doing Bethesda, he told me to contact Nintendo if I wanted a review copy... but they did send out the press releases about Doom Switch.