• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I liked stuff like Iwata Asks and the fun skits a lot but if the new guys aren't up to that I'm not going to hold it against them.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily we don't play company personas. We play videogames. Look at Spencer for the converse, although they may finally be on the right track now.

P.S. I get what you are saying though.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Reggie was nothing compared to Howard Lincoln (That was a man who'd get everyone's parties wet), but we grew to appreciate and love him. So too will we will warm to Bowser in due time. In. Due. Time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as fun as the iwata/reggie era was, like a 1/25th of actual nintendo consumers were in on that "fun"

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Err... you mean the era when they sold 80 million GBA, 150 million DS, 100 million Wii, and almost 80 million 3/2DS systems?

WTF are you even talking about?

my bad i didn't word that right. but i was referring to "fan culture" stuff like iwata asks, nintendo directs, reggie memes and such. in our bubble that was nintendo but to everbody else it may as well have not existed

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
my bad i didn't word that right. but i was referring to "fan culture" stuff like iwata asks, nintendo directs, reggie memes and such. in our bubble that was nintendo but to everbody else it may as well have not existed

How can you know? Sure not every Mario Kart and Just Dance playing Wii owner will go read Iwata Asks articles but I'm pretty sure at least some of that gets out into pretty wide circulation.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
How can you know? Sure not every Mario Kart and Just Dance playing Wii owner will go read Iwata Asks articles but I'm pretty sure at least some of that gets out into pretty wide circulation.

fair enough, there is no way to quantify how much that stuff really "trickles down". but i'll go out on a limb and say nintendo will hum along fine with out them on the PR front, assuming the newer personalities never match that

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
fair enough, there is no way to quantify how much that stuff really "trickles down". but i'll go out on a limb and say nintendo will hum along fine with out them on the PR front, assuming the newer personalities never match that

We'll get a better look at that once we get into next gen and we'll see what this thing that Nintendo says will change things up will be. That's kind of the real test for the post-Iwata Nintendo, this has basically been a transition gen for them.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yoshiaki Koizumi is precious.
And talented af. He is like Miyamoto 2.0. He was developing the Switch and producing Mario Odyssey at the same freaking time and both things turned out amazing. Plus he was the main host when the Switch was revealed and has been the host of the Directs since then, talk about an efficient and talented employee.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
The angry gimmick was fun during Reggie's first one or two showings, afterwards he has been a soulless PR robot like any other.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This feels like kind of a weird take to be having...or rather, it feels like the OP has been a little too fixated on those particular personalities and just...hasn't been paying attention to the personality the rest of the company's been showing? How do you claim the executives are boring when Nintendo presentations contain the likes of Koizumi channeling cosmic powers and simulating frozen tundras during the Switch reveal, the same man transforming from normal suit into red Mario garb complete with Cappy to debut Mario Odyssey, Nogami going on stage making numeric poses and pioneering the sunglasses-clad scientist motif of the Squid Research Lab that has remained the core of that series' marketing, Yabuki rocking hoodies with the double thumbs-up and striking a pose while bodying the winner of the ARMS invitational tournament, and...like literally everything Sakurai does or says during his Smash showcases? Doug Bowser hasn't had a ton of public appearances yet but has already been featured interacting with and shooing away a CGI Bowser Koopa. For years now Nintendo hasn't really done big live-stage events and the Nintendo Directs have continued to become more focused in how they convey information, so there's less of a need for big live public demonstrations, but even so I think Nintendo's employees have continued to show a ton of personality.

There is no person that completely fills the role of Miyamoto, or completely replaces Reggie, but they don't need that in order to still be fun, and more importantly, to convey the quality of their games.