• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry the CEOs to a corporation aren't also skilled entertainers keeping you amused while at the same time making some of the most fun and celebrated games in the world.
but that's a baffling mentality to have. No other industry requires their CEOs to put on a clown show to appease their customers
Right? What other industry does this? Are gamers toddlers that need executives to dance around and jingle keys for us?

NARRATOR: Yes they are.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doug Bowser doesn't have charisma anywhere near Reggie.

And if you ask me, that's an issue.

A suit that isn't ready to show himself having some fun (and faking himself having fun) in an industry whose base is, precisely, having fun, is a suit i'm reluctant of giving money to.

Developers, CEOs and even localizers/translators are more or less treated like rockstars in this industry. They shouldn't have issues in acting like a clown once in a while instead of being all important

Miyamoto understood that in the Era of the overly proud Yamauchi (The cold suit that almost destroyed Nintendo and then left Iwata to deal with the aftermath), Iwata understood too and Reggie followed suit. They did the right thing.

I mean...what was Doug Bowser supposed to do here? He was there to receive one award live. They didn't have an announcement planned. Was he supposed to pull something out of his ass? Doug Bowser was in all version of the E3 Direct making fun of his name in a gag. I'd say he knows how to have some fun but that wasn't why he was here today.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

A suit that isn't ready to show himself having some fun (and faking himself having fun) in an industry whose base is, precisely, having fun, is a suit i'm reluctant of giving money to.

Developers, CEOs and even localizers/translators are more or less treated like rockstars in this industry. They shouldn't have issues in acting like a clown once in a while instead of being all important

Miyamoto understood that in the Era of the overly proud Yamauchi (The cold suit that almost destroyed Nintendo and then left Iwata to deal with the aftermath), Iwata understood too and Reggie followed suit. They did the right thing.

That sounds more like a problem with Gamers than anything.

I can understand if a particular Executive have problematic behaviors that make people uncomfortable to support that company., but it's preposterous that they should also require to entertain us like we're teenagers.

I'm sorry the CEOs to a corporation aren't also skilled entertainers keeping you amused while at the same time making some of the most fun and celebrated games in the world.
Right? What other industry does this? Are gamers toddlers that need executives to dance around and jingle keys for us?

NARRATOR: Yes they are.

Why do we need a fun loving CEO to feel secure in our purchases is the crux of this problem

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
If you think that Reggie has a personality then i feel a bit sorry for you.

The one person I miss from Nintendo is Yamauchi himself. We need some fucking rude, vindictive presidents that hold an unrelenting grudge back in this industry!

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt the love and adoration for Reggie was more of the ironic kind.

Like, with all due respect to Reggie - but 'Charisma' and 'Stage presence?'... nah.
He was a big dude in a suit who held up consoles. Sure, he learned to embrace the memes, but always in a very dad-jokey way. He was a smart executive, for sure, but an entertainer he was not.
This. Every time I've seen Reggie talk I can't think about anything but someone clearly reading off a teleprompter in Stage PR Voice. His cadence is unbelievably canned.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the Reggie, Miyamoto, Iwata will never be topped as a charismatic trio, that's for sure.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Sorry OP, nothing against you but this is the most useless thread I've ever seen here.

They are not suppose to entertain you, they are suppose to create products that entertain you. It's a completely different thing.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yeah, all they have left now is their incredible IP lineup.

They aren't really making the most of it though, are they. BoTW2 and Metroid are miles off, Links Awakening was good but not great, as was Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi and Sword and Shield, and Mario Maker 2 was mostly a re-tread. I haven't played Fire Emblem so I can't comment, but I'll assume it's amazing. That's 5 mediocre to good games and 1 excellent game in a year. And how long has the Switch been out now, 2 years?

It just seems like a fairly average library in 12 months for a console into its 2nd year, including some games that have their fair share of criticism, which is something I'm not THAT used to with Nintendo. I wouldn't call it a bad year but considering it's Nintendo first party, it could have been so much better.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't really making the most of it though, are they. BoTW2 and Metroid are miles off, Links Awakening was good but not great, as was Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi and Sword and Shield, and Mario Maker 2 was mostly a re-tread. I haven't played Fire Emblem so I can't comment, but I'll assume it's amazing. That's 5 mediocre to good games and 1 excellent game in a year. And how long has the Switch been out now, 2 years?

It just seems like a fairly average library in 12 months for a console into its 2nd year, including some games that have their fair share of criticism, which is something I'm not THAT used to with Nintendo. I wouldn't call it a bad year but considering it's Nintendo first party, it could have been so much better.
Nintendo having a year of several fine games with one amazing one is extremely par for the course.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto is busy with Universal and the Mario movie now.

Koizumi is steering the games boat now, and im more than ok with that.

Its true that Doug had little presence yesterday, but he just started.

EDIT
5mediocre games this year. WTF AM I READING?
Luigi's Mansion 3 is a godamn masteroieces and Astral Chain was absolutely great. Fire Emblem is the best FE has been in a long time. Links Awakening was beautiful.

Some you...
If theres no zelda and mario you are crying nintendo doesnt have games. You have shit taste and bad opinions and its you fault we dont get games like fzero anymore.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo didn't even go on stage to take an award or had anything internally developed they wanted to show, what should have done go on stage randomly to do funny stuff?

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Bowser has the perfect name to become a Nintendo legend. He needs some time to build that up. Koizumi and Takahashi are also very good at presenting stuff. I like Koizumi's vibe in the directs. He comes over as a master in the arts of game design. Nintendo is going through an evolution right now so it will take some time before people regard these figures as legends.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I can not imagine what's gonna happen when Reggie and Miyamoto eventually age....it's going to be depressing.

Hopefully we will see more creative genius & great leaders from the company.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i think iwata, reggie, shiggy are way more exceptions to how most execs/devs are, and we were lucky to have such positive, fun, enthusiastic ambassadors for that Nintendo brand. and it's not a requirement that the 'face' be charismatic, goofy, memeable, etc. but it does help. and that goes for any company.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
So far it's not really a problem for me. Bowser was great in his first Direct and I like Koizumi all the time.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care that much about stage shows, but the one thing I truly miss is iwata asks :(

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I can't help but feel like this attitude towards CEO's and the like is really dangerous.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
I like Reggie but I think his "stage presence" was mostly a fan creation
Yep, aside from the occasional quotable line like "kicking ass and taking names" he is really no different from Doug Bowser his PR speak. Felt like they replaced a Nintendo Dad with another Nintendo Dad, and that's fine

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've thought this for a while. And it's not just in their marketing either; the Switch is missing the endearing quirkiness of other modern Nintendo platforms. Are these related? Maybe?

vedrua

Oct 26, 2019
Iwata and Miyamoto are mostly famous because of their actual work on actual games and consoles, not because they were Iwata, and Miyamoto. So it's a bit strange to compare them with a man who, as cool as he can be, had basically the job to be the public image of Nintendo is the US.

I mean, people love Reggie for speeches, basically.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
People are being way too sensitive and twisting OPs words. All they said was that Nintendo didn't have any exciting spokespeople left. It can be a legitimate criticism without needing to bring in the quality of their games.

The people OP mentioned did a lot to build the brand, especially online with memes, etc. Having no one to fill those roles is disappointing.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The fun guys at Nintendo are still executives in a suit. They're still a corporation out to get your money in whatever way they can. Just just happen to do so while doing puppet sketches from time to time.

Stop wanting these corporations to be your friend.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I want to see Koizumi more often and more involved in the PR side of things. He's a handsome man who made me interested in stupid Switch features like HD rumble.

Edit: It's funny how the OP specifically tried to set the tone of the thread regarding these Nintendo figures and how relatable they were at events, but everyone goes "Who cares? The games are what matter!". Good job at totally derailing the discussion, defending Nintendo from the slightest criticism is more important, I see.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Reggie always came off as a regular business man to me. Rarely he would say something memeable and gamers would latch onto it. I feel like he leaned into that more so than leading it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
As long as their game lineup is strong, I can't see caring about their talking heads. If I'm entertained with their games, any company team could be completely anonymous for all I care.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I want to see Koizumi more often and more involved in the PR side of things. He's a handsome man who made me interested in stupid Switch features like HD rumble.

Edit: It's funny how the OP specifically tried to set the tone of the thread regarding these Nintendo figures and how relatable they were at events, but everyone goes "Who cares? The games are what matter!". Good job at totally derailing the discussion, defending Nintendo from the slightest criticism is more important, I see.
Yeah, the fanboyism is really frustrating at times.

People are acting like there wasn't a giant fandom surrounding these personalities.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, the fanboyism is really frustrating at times.

People are acting like there wasn't a giant fandom surrounding these personalities.
This forum has become really tedious when you criticize Nintendo, I mean this thread isn't even criticism, just pointing out exactly what you mention, these figures had basically a fandom behind them. That's what the OP is trying to discuss and instead of maybe talking about other personalities Nintendo could give the spotlight to or what the current ones are lacking, pretty much everyone goes "Meh, this isn't important, give me games" even though the OP explicitly acknowledges that quality games are still there.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I get what the OP is saying. Doug was on the show last night to collect the award (can't remember which one) and you'd never have guessed that was the president of Nintendo of America. There wasn't much gravitas. He didn't leave anything resembling a lasting impression. CEOs and Presidents in all industries do need this — it's not just games.

With that being said, I think he's at a disadvantage as far as gaining a meaningful connection with Nintendo fans writ large because recorded things (Directs) are never as personable as live things and the fact that he can't get up and give a keynote presentation at E3 hurts him in that regard.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
i think iwata, reggie, shiggy are way more exceptions to how most execs/devs are, and we were lucky to have such positive, fun, enthusiastic ambassadors for that Nintendo brand. and it's not a requirement that the 'face' be charismatic, goofy, memeable, etc. but it does help. and that goes for any company.
Yeah. They were unique in the sense that what we got from at least Iawata and Miyamoto were expressions of themselves. Genuinely loved and cared about what they did and wanted to reflect that in every facet of their appearances. You can't just re-create or force that. I'm lucky to have been there for it.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I really think Koizumi inhabits the same sphere as Iwata in terms of charisma. I really wouldn't be surprised if he becomes president of Nintendo someday. Dude has always been great at what he does.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Shawn Layden was incredibly awkward in his first year or so and quickly grew into it later and became someone I really liked.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's interesting how some people's interest in Nintendo hinges on "These legendary characters being on stage". You'd guess it's the games that make Nintendo, and not cult of personality.

Nintendo, IMO, needs to move on from the "Big Names", and give more and more projects to new blood. Miyamoto and Aonuma can't keep them afloat forever, and it feels like Miyamoto really hasn't contributed anything new for a while now.

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
It's interesting how some people's interest in Nintendo hinges on "These legendary characters being on stage". You'd guess it's the games that make Nintendo, and not cult of personality.

Nintendo, IMO, needs to move on from the "Big Names", and give more and more projects to new blood. Miyamoto and Aonuma can't keep them afloat forever, and it feels like Miyamoto really hasn't contributed anything new for a while now.

^^This is true, but it also takes financial and business acumen and creative flair for a title to be a critical success.

And they have a bean-counter as NCL president [or whatever his title is].

:-D