• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
originally spotted by David Gibson, and Plankton2

Could just be a new gameplay idea they are testing with a prototype. Like the rabbits that were initially what splatoon was.

Or could just be a random tech demo. I'm sure they make dozens of these every year, and they just never pan out into full fledged games.

And just doing a google about GCC2018, the only presentation from Nintendo on their site is this...

NintendoWare Bezel Engine
Nintendo Switch game development environment choices provided by Nintendo

google Translated version

DZi5CIqUMAEw9pt.jpg

source: http://www.gc-conf.com

my thoughts:

an interesting development. much like Sony's Phyre Engine, it seems to be for third parties. but with options like Phyre, Unreal, and Unity, it's a question of what makes this inciting since this is more dedicated for Switch

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sounds something in line with the wiiu html5 framework, focused on produtivity rather than optimal resourse usage

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty old news, actually. The infamous Vroom in the night sky uses that engine, irrc. Sumiko Gurashi on Switch uses it too, the demo is how some of us heard about it.

Edit: Rocket Studios list it as one of the engines they're using.

> http://www.rocketstd.co.jp/works.html
I know NintendoWare isnt new, but to have a name and a public demonstration of this is pretty new.

Sounds something in line with the wiiu html5 framework, focused on produtivity rather than optimal resourse usage
that was made by NST, this (seems?) to be made by the Japanese team. might be wrong though

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
So this is probably the engine powering Odyssey, or BotW, or MK8/ARMS?
Edit: or a "light" version of it?

Of course it's not (that's be too big a deal for them not to publicly advertise outside dev. circles). It's an engine created specifically for 3rd party publishers/developers, especially small entities who want a low-cost, fast-to-develop engine. That's what the description above says.

I know NintendoWare isnt new, but to have a name and a public demonstration of this is pretty new.

that was made by NST, this (seems?) to be made by the Japanese team. might be wrong though

Public demonstration, I'll give you that. But we've known about the name for a while already > http://krsw.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1510301191/

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Saying the same thing than in another thread, but weird that they didn't introduce this at GDC. Wonder when it'll be put on the developer portal and in english, seems like an interesting move.
Doubt it'll ever end up being used as much as Sony's Phyre Engine (multiplat), but could be useful.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Phyre Engine isn't multiplat outside Sony ecosystem. Devs are just free to port it themselves, but it's not offically supported outside PlayStation.

That's pretty old news, actually. The infamous Vroom in the night sky uses that engine, irrc. Sumiko Gurashi on Switch uses it too, the demo is how some of us heard about it.

Edit: Rocket Studios list it as one of the engines they're using.

> http://www.rocketstd.co.jp/works.html
Yes, it's not new. It dates back to Wii actually, FFCC My Life as a King was the first 3rd party game to use it. This was before it was named or made available widely to 3rd parties.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017

Well there are some elements in both games that could be used in an interesting way, but yeah not the best examples to put out there if they really want the engine to be taken seriously

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty stupid of smaller devs to use this since it means you're locked to the Switch. Unity is probably the smarter alternative.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty stupid of smaller devs to use this since it means you're locked to the Switch. Unity is probably the smarter alternative.

I personally don't think there is a "Steam exodus" but if I ran this part of Nintendo, I would position the use of the engine as "Hey, look indie devs, we have a very healthy environment on our digital front, make a game using our engine and we will highlight your game as a featured news article that gets beamed to all Switches, you'll be highlighted on a Nintendo Indie Showcase and we'll only take a 15% cut of sales instead of the industry standard 20%."

Vrrrrrooom and this other cute Mario Party clone just aren't the caliber of game I'd let this middleware engine be promoted as what the engine is capable of doing though.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Well there are some elements in both games that could be used in an interesting way, but yeah not the best examples to put out there if they really want the engine to be taken seriously

Sumikko Gurashi is a decent party game actually, Vroom in the Night Sky is pretty bad, looks more like a tech demo than a game, but i've heard it has a good use of HD Rumble.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Would be a good idea for them to have an engine that is custom made to get the most out of Switch available, especially for some of the developers in their stable that typically worked on handheld titles. May help them make the transition to HD development easier.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
This sound pretty awful. Why will a studio want to use a proprietary engine provided by Nintendo in a world where every game needs to be released multiplatform.
One of the key elements of Switch success with 3rd parties was on the contrary the fact popular engines as UE and Unity are working with Switch.
Web Framework for Wii U was a better idea as it offered an app encapsulation for developers who use other technologies to makes games. But afaik they scrapped it because they scrapped everything's Wii U bc they made so many poor design choices for the system that lead it to failure. Just like after the Gamecube.

Oct 26, 2017
This sound pretty awful. Why will a studio want to use a proprietary engine provided by Nintendo in a world where every game needs to be released multiplatform.
One of the key elements of Switch success with 3rd parties was on the contrary the fact popular engines as UE and Unity are working with Switch.
Web Framework for Wii U was a better idea as it offered an app encapsulation for developers who use other technologies to makes games. But afaik they scrapped it because they scrapped everything's Wii U bc they made so many poor design choices for the system that lead it to failure. Just like after the Gamecube.

Maybe because some might want to make Switch-exclusive games?

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Or maybe, just having more options is good for developers don't you think?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017

If every game needs to be released for every platform, how come platform exclusive games exist?

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Generally a smart hedge for Nintendo (any platform holder should offer as much of the toolkit chain as possible so they're not dependent on anyone else, while still offering great support to third parties who want to offer their own version of any part of that chain), but I think their best bet would be cultivating a strong relationship with Epic to make sure the Switch is a first-class citizen as far as UE4 optimization is concerned ('optimization' being the key word there - obviously more powerful hardware will be able to do things the Switch can't, but Nintendo should make sure that crossplatform ports to Switch are as easy as possible).

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because some might want to make Switch-exclusive games?
That's another question, they may want that but it's not related to the choosing of a game engine.

Or maybe, just having more options is good for developers don't you think?
That's what I said in my previous post with the Web framework, Bezel just doesn't seems to add something to what other existing engines does, bare it's free but you're tied to Nintendo. This doesn't sound like rewarding the effort.

Plus, Nintendo seems to lock out indie devs without previous released games for the sake of curating their library.
So if by chance you've the go for being a Switch dev, it means you already have a game, but certainly not on Bezel because you need to be registered first. Doesn't make any sense from an indie perspective to me.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
So does it run on competitors platforms and pc? If not I don't see it being widely used.

Edit: Seriously if they make it run on everything but gives favorable terms to the switch version like timed exclusivity etc is the only hope for this engine.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed this in one of the Switch demos I got last night and was perplexed by how little info I could find on the Internet.

I wonder how much this shares with Nintendo's internal tools.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
"NintendoWare" is what they used to build Nintendo Land (see credits) way back when. I'd say it's safe to assume this is a current evolution of that foundation.

before that, it was also this: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/nintendo-fan-club-1000001/nintendo-ware-revealed-25442411/
tool for devs to emulate Wii/3DS on PC to test their games
There's been NintendoWare solutions for Wii (RVL), 3DS (CTR) and Wii U (WUP). They're a development framework (collection of tools and libraries), but it looks like Bezel (Switch) is the first full game engine.

The first NintendoWare game ever was Wii Sports (2006) and the first 3rd party game was Square Enix's FFCC My Life as a King (2008).

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Google searching the engine lead to finding a trademark.

https://www.trademarkia.com/au/trademark-1881252.htm

Trivia:

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017, an australia trademark registration was filed for Nintendo Ware Bezel Engine by Nintendo Co. Ltd. 11-1 Hokotate-cho Kamitoba,, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8501. The Australia IP office has given the trademark application number of1881252. The current status of this trademark filing is Registered/Protected. The correspondent listed for Nintendo Ware Bezel Engine is Refer to WIPO Address for Correspondence of , , XX The Nintendo Ware Bezel Engine trademark is filed in the category of Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products .

Word Mark: Nintendo Ware Bezel Engine

Current Status:
Registered/Protected

Application Number: 1881252

Filing Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Registration Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Type of Mark:
Word - Trade Mark has logo as a Word

Publication Country: AUSTRALIA

Publication Registration: Thursday, March 08, 2018

Last Applicant/Owner:

NINTENDO CO. LTD.
11-1 Hokotate-cho Kamitoba,
Minami-ku
Kyoto 601-8501

Nintendo Ware Bezel Engine Australia Trademark Information
Programs for consumer video game apparatus; electronic storage media recorded with programs for consumer video game apparatus; downloadable or installable programs and software applications for consumer video game apparatus; programs for handheld electronic game apparatus; electronic storage media recorded with programs for handheld electronic game apparatus; downloadable or installable programs and software applications for handheld electronic game apparatus; programs for arcade video game machines; electronic storage media recorded with programs for arcade video game machines; downloadable or installable programs and software applications for arcade video game machines; computer programs; electronic storage media recorded with programs for computers; downloadable or installable programs and software applications for computers; programs for smartphones; electronic storage media recorded with programs for smartphones; downloadable or installable programs and software applications for smartphones; audio recorded compact discs; downloadable music files; downloadable image files; electronic publications, downloadable; cases for smartphones

Although the trademark filing was submitted on May 16th, 2017 in Australia. The trademark registration didn't become public until March 8th, 2018.

I've went to look through the USPTO and haven't found any Bezel Engine trademark there yet for the US trademark.

Last edited: