• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...o-super-smashes-expectations-with-switch.html

But the place that Nintendo has staked out and continues to own is the family market — which its competitors pay far less attention to.

"We are happy that they don't," he says. "It's been an incredibly important market because the kid who's 5 or 6 today is going to be 12 or 13 and not all that many years later 18 or 19 … And when you have an affinity for Pokémon or The Legend of Zelda series or Mario Kart or Super Mario Bros. that affinity carries with you."

Sound like a hot take, but is not wrong, many people love Nintendo cause they grew playing with it since really younger ages.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah it's a good strategy. McDonald's do it too.

EDIT: Well, McDonald's used to do it anyway (I won't go into details on this since it's OT).

Last edited:

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I believe they are ok with it too, At least Sony.

I remember them saying that Nintendo is important because they introduce kids to gaming or something like that

Oct 30, 2017
b58.jpg

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is why Nintendo goes through cycles of booms and busts

A lot of kids love Nintendo but they also grow out of it very quickly in teen years. Then a lot of people reconnect with the brand in their 20s when they realise hating something "kiddy" is dumb but a lot of those who move on to PlayStation and Xbox stay there

Nintendo would be better served looking at a broader market. And Sony and MS would do well looking at the youth market more seriously (just look at how kids are driving the popularity of minecraft or Fortnite). Sony has a great balance on PS1-2 or mature and kid oriented titles but have cleary moves away from that

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
"Microsoft doesn't cater to the younger generation"

Then I guess the announcement of a new Halo and a new Gears of War last week was my imagination.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017

Then I guess the announcement of a new Halo and a new Gears of War last week was my imagination.

Please explain how announcing M-rated shooters is catering to a younger generation, especially when those shooter franchises are older than the kids themselves. Sure, kids may like "mature" games, but those games are not intended to cater to them.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

lol wat... Gears of War and Halo are not for younger generation

younger generation is referring to little kids like age 5 or 6, as stated in the OP

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
How is Nintendo with their ridiculous prices catering to younger audiences? Most kids here certainly can't afford to blow 400€ on a Switch + Game.

And i'm pretty sure i've seen statistics in the past that confirm Nintendos main audience to be men in their 20s and 30s.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I like Nintendo's approach to young gamers, but I would like them to focus on older gamers with the same "intensity" they focus on kids.
I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy, but when it comes to single player games, they are getting behind Sony.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Please explain how announcing M-rated shooters is catering to a younger generation, especially when those shooter franchises are older than the kids themselves. Sure, kids may like "mature" games, but those games are not intended to cater to them.

lol wat... Gears of War and Halo are not for younger generation

younger generation is referring to little kids like age 5 or 6, as stated in the OP
I had a different reply set up, but you know what? You guys are right. Those kids are probably too busy playing Fortnite and Grand Theft Auto to know/remember what Gears and Halo are.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
How is Nintendo with their ridiculous prices catering to younger audiences? Most kids here certainly can't afford to blow 400€ on a Switch + Game.

And i'm pretty sure i've seen statistics in the past that confirm Nintendos main audience to be men in their 20s and 30s.

Does the 3DS no longer exist? Do families not buy a Switch for the whole family, or as a gift for kids?

They make content on both 3DS and Switch for younger audiences and their strategy is often tilted toward that audience. Whether a 6-year-old can buy a Switch on their own is neither here nor there, surely?

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK

the parents are the ones buying the consoles and games

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Fair point I suppose. The only non-M rated Sony exclusive is Spider-Man and that doesn't count because it isn't their property so they had little choice in rating, since I'm sure Disney would destroy them if they made an M rated Spidey. Side note isn't Halo rated T now?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

That snapshot was provided by Nintendo and done before October.

By January it was easy to tell a huge influx of kids were ruining the standard of play in Splatoon matches.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Don't worry Nintendo im very grateful they don't cater to them either. Nintendo should be a child's first video game system. They shouldn't have a PS4/Xbox playing GTA growing up too fast.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both Microsoft and Sony have tried to go after that audience before and failed. Smart for them to stick to their core competencies.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry Nintendo im very grateful they don't cater to them either. Nintendo should be a child's first video game system. They shouldn't have a PS4/Xbox playing GTA growing up too fast.

My sons first system was ps3 and played one of the most child friendly, innovative games ever "Little Big Planet" let's not act like there aren't kids games on Sony consoles too. They may not focus on that but they are there.

Not to mention Nintendo has been going after the adult crown for quite some time now.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its fine there is room in this industry for everyone to eat. Everyone excels on what their focused on.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017

What? The same way they can have iPads and tablets? On top of that, I think you forget about the family aspect of younger kids playing games with parents. When I was about 12 me and my younger sister and I loved playing Super Mario kart with my mom and step dad.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt that most parents spend this kind of money on a video game console unless they are avid gamers themselves.

Anecdotal, but:

My stepdaughter is looking to buy a Switch for her 8-year-old son this Christmas. She doesn't even play mobile phone games. Another friend bought one as a Christmas gift for her sons last year, and a couple of other parents I know are interested, none of whom are anything like "avid gamers".

It's definitely seen as a big-ticket item rather than a budget gaming device like the 2DS, but families will buy something like that if they feel the value is there and the brand is trusted, regardless of whether they're gamers themselves.

I'm surprised that people still think of kids' gaming devices in terms of what the children can afford; my experience had always been that it's what the parents can afford and what they see as providing enough value, whether that's something like the Atari ST my parents bought for me and my brother, or an Xbox One, Switch or mobile phone now.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I feel like this is why Nintendo goes through cycles of booms and busts

A lot of kids love Nintendo but they also grow out of it very quickly in teen years. Then a lot of people reconnect with the brand in their 20s when they realise hating something "kiddy" is dumb but a lot of those who move on to PlayStation and Xbox stay there

Nintendo would be better served looking at a broader market. And Sony and MS would do well looking at the youth market more seriously (just look at how kids are driving the popularity of minecraft or Fortnite). Sony has a great balance on PS1-2 or mature and kid oriented titles but have cleary moves away from that
Well I guess they tried with knack as a major showcase for the console launch, it just failed to get any traction.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...o-super-smashes-expectations-with-switch.html

Sound like a hot take, but is not wrong, many people love Nintendo cause they grew playing with it since really younger ages.

YTc0ZmE2MzhlYSMva2JZZGp3X3lpR3hOMzRwVXo0cTI2Y2dIZnRJPS8xMzl4MDoxNDIweDcyMS84MDB4NDUwL2ZpbHRlcnM6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzLzRuOGFtZjNueW1mbXMycnliYnF1MWQ5bzVxYmsyamZvaXl2cG5zaWNrd2J5czIyNXA1MGxzajZjb3F5dmNheTkuanBn.jpg

Played when I was a kid

crash%20bandicoot-nintendo-switch-05.jpg

Also played when I was a kid

ratchet-clank-ps4-1.jpg

I wasn't a kid when it came out but, you know

kingdom_hearts_3_1514214004607.jpg

Sadly, I was pretty close to still being "a kid" when I first saw these 3 assholes in the same game

The only difference is that Nintendo doesn't have gritty shit because it typically can't run on Nintendo's hardware

I will grant them though, Xbox One doesn't have that big of a colorful presence at all.

They certainly had more than a few exclusives on Xbox360 for kids but I can't think of any this gen

Clix

Banned

Many of those statistics also look at the primary buyers. But that is beside the point. The pricing isn't anymore ridiculous than a PS4 or Xbox. I mean, just because some of you all think they should charge 200 bucks most for their console doesn't mean that is realistic. And parents usually buy for their kids. This Christmas I am getting my daughter, who will be 9, her own Switch along with a copy of Pokemon Let's Go.

Kids play playstation and so did i when i was a kid so this doesnt make any sense

Yes, it does. I played Playstation too but also Nintendo. But Nintendo takes a page from Disney, where it's primary focus is the family and especially their kids. There is nothing wrong with that.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
The article is right, but Nintendo should try to cater to an older audience as well. Acquiring more Western studios should be a good move to start that.

OP
OP
Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
YTc0ZmE2MzhlYSMva2JZZGp3X3lpR3hOMzRwVXo0cTI2Y2dIZnRJPS8xMzl4MDoxNDIweDcyMS84MDB4NDUwL2ZpbHRlcnM6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzLzRuOGFtZjNueW1mbXMycnliYnF1MWQ5bzVxYmsyamZvaXl2cG5zaWNrd2J5czIyNXA1MGxzajZjb3F5dmNheTkuanBn.jpg

Played when I was a kid

crash%20bandicoot-nintendo-switch-05.jpg

Also played when I was a kid

ratchet-clank-ps4-1.jpg

I wasn't a kid when it came out but, you know

kingdom_hearts_3_1514214004607.jpg

Sadly, I was pretty close to still being "a kid" when I first saw these 3 assholes in the same game

The only difference is that Nintendo doesn't have gritty shit because it typically can't run on Nintendo's hardware

I will grant them though, Xbox One doesn't have that big of a colorful presence at all.

They certainly had more than a few exclusives on Xbox360 for kids but I can't think of any this gen
a) bayonetta, Fatal Frame, etc etc

b) Crash and Spyro remaster are aimed to nostalgia googles rather than new generations.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Mcdonalds stopped catering to young kids and even took all their Ronald Mcdonalds out and now cater to a more adult millenial crowd.

Yeah true. I should've clarified. They *did* it, and those children grew up and are now parents. McDonald's don't need to cater to children anymore, since the parents can do it for them.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
both Microsoft and Sony have tried to tackle the all ages stuff they just don't do it as well as Nintendo

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say they're wrong. It's why franchises like Pokémon and Mario still have a lot of appeal to people even when their fans go into adulthood and why Nintendo have a tendency to pull people right back in when they think they're out. It's a smart move.

In contrast you don't exactly have a similar sentiment fostered by the competition - which isn't to say they don't sell a lot, but it's more common to hear that people buy PS4s because they want to play the latest Fifa or something similar. There's a lot of attachment to IPs like Crash but it's hard to bank on it being a regular presence, let alone one that's led by a console maker.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't work with me.

Dropped Nintendo after getting an n64. Decent system. But then I got a ps1 and yeah... That system blew my mind. Deep storylines, mature themes, etc. Mgs1 changed how I looked at games.