• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody here is expecting a drastic improvement.

However there kinda HAS to be a noticable improvement if this uses the same SoC as the Lite. That's just how thermodynamics works.

The issue here is if there is such an increase in either battery life or performance (or both) then it will be weird if it happened in a stealth revision.

Not true at all

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Care to explain? If this uses a chip that has 30-40% higher efficiency how can it possibly show no improvement in either battery life or performance (or both)?
Efficiency could be just use to keep the heat down and use a small fan. There have been plenty of news soc's on past consoles that were more efficient and did no result in better performance

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Efficiency could be just use to keep the heat down and use a small fan. There have been plenty of news soc's on past consoles that were more efficient and did no result in better performance

If it generates less heat and uses a smaller fan then it will use less power. Which means better battery life. I'm aware that die shrinks don't always result in better performance but for stationary consoles battery life isn't a factor.

This isn't really debatable here, this is simple thermodynamics. Either this SoC results in higher battery life, higher performance, a combination of those, or they use a smaller battery. If any of those happen they will need to disclose it and formally announce it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Stationary home consoles don't run off a battery. If there's no additional performance, the battery life will shoot way up.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Only problem with that is how do you know if your buying the switch with better internals?
Yeah thats the weird part. I mean I would buy this newer model but how am I supposed to know which model I'm buying? I mean surely Nintendo isn't that stupid or these enhanced component don't really have any benefit other than cost for Nintendo. I can't imagine having friends with better Switches with longer battery life than me just because they bought it 2 years later.
Looking at Emily's many posts on the subject in this thread, you will know you're buying the revised Switch because it will come in at least two new colors. So if Nintendo announces Neon Orange and Neon Purple Switches this fall, ding ding ding

I could see this update launching with new colors. The branding would be the same, just the Switch in new colors with internal updates that aren't even advertised.
This is exactly what Emily is saying will happen, yep!

But the Lite is a cheaper alternative that looks like a Vita. I guess the look is subjective, but it absolutely is a cheaper Switch. So, I don't really get what he getting at by quoting himself on that?
The wording of the tweet is poor due to translation, it's not "you would be wrong to think it's a Pro and [also wrong to think] the cheaper version looks like the Vita" it should be read as "You would be wrong to think it's a Pro. Also, the cheaper version looks like the Vita"

So how exactly are they going to announce this if Emily is correct and it's at least going to come in two new colors? They'll need to differentiate it somehow.

"We are pleased to announce that we have updated the Nintendo Switch! Now in non-grey colors!"
No, they will say, "Here are two new colors for the Nintendo Switch" and maybe add "we have increased the internal storage as well" and crazy fucks like us on message boards will go "oh shit that's the revision" and everyone else in the world will go "cool new colors and more storage" and we'll all enjoy the slightly better battery life and larger internal storage of the new Switch revision.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
No, they will say, "Here are two new colors for the Nintendo Switch" and maybe add "we have increased the internal storage as well" and crazy fucks like us on message boards will go "oh shit that's the revision" and everyone else in the world will go "cool new colors and more storage" and we'll all enjoy the slightly better battery life and larger internal storage of the new Switch revision.

That sounds eerily accurate.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
If it generates less heat and uses a smaller fan then it will use less power. Which means better battery life. I'm aware that die shrinks don't always result in better performance but for stationary consoles battery life isn't a factor.

This isn't really debatable here, this is simple thermodynamics. Either this SoC results in higher battery life, higher performance, a combination of those, or they use a smaller battery. If any of those happen they will need to disclose it and formally announce it.
lol no they don't. You are forgetting this is the same company that just lists their firmware updates as " stability" no matters what changes

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing no one has talked about is docked mode, let's say Nintendo keeps the clocks low so this revised model has 4.5 - 5 hr battery life

Battery life doesn't matter when docked though so what reason would they have to not use the max clock of the new efficient chip when it's docked?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
lol no they don't. You are forgetting this is the same company that just lists their firmware updates as " stability" no matters what changes

You think they will let consumers have a performance or battery life lottery? That kinda sounds like a PR disaster. Generally companies like letting people know what they are buying.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing no one has talked about is docked mode, let's say Nintendo keeps the clocks low so this revised model has 4.5 - 5 hr battery life

Battery life doesn't matter when docked though so what reason would they have to not use the max clock of the new efficient chip when it's docked?

They might use the more efficient chip to keep the heat and noise down of the fan. This is Nintendo remember.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
You think they will let consumers have a performance or battery life lottery? That kinda sounds like a PR disaster. Generally companies like letting people know what they are buying.
Wouldn't be a lottery because the og switch wouldn't be produced after this and you would be able to tell which switch by the color.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The reason would be not forcing developers to support a new docked profile.

I could see them offering a new optional docked profile but games would still need to run on the OG Switch so developers would have to target the original docked profile in addition to these theoretical new ones.

If this revision just has a minor boost to handheld performance (like, most games use 460MHz in handheld mode) and battery life then I doubt they'll change anything for docked mode.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
What does that have to do with heat and a smaller fan?
When the CPU gets more efficient, battery life goes up. You'll note that the Switch Lite is managing longer battery life than the current model with a notably smaller battery. Put that CPU in the bigger Switch form factor and at the current clocks and the battery life goes way up.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be a lottery because the og switch wouldn't be produced after this and you would be able to tell which switch by the color.

Right, and if there are new colors they will have to officially announce it... That's what I'm saying.

People have been trying to argue that this could be a stealth revision with no indication that it's a different model. I'm saying that isn't going to happen.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Right, and if there are new colors they will have to officially announce it... That's what I'm saying.

People have been trying to argue that this could be a stealth revision with no indication that it's a different model. I'm saying that isn't going to happen.
Of course they will announced the colors but they may not announce a slightly better battery or performance. Especially performance.

Also they may not state its a different model other than it having more storage.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course they will announced the colors but they may not announce a slightly better battery or performance. Especially performance.
So the people that don't like the new colors will think they are getting the exact same battery life with the old colors when they go to buy a switch? Lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Also they may not state its a different model other than it having more storage.

I never said they have to announce that it has better battery life or performance. Just that it has to be officially announced as a distinct product.

The battery life on the lite is only 30mins to an hr difference...

Yes but that has a 20% smaller battery. The battery life gains would be notably larger in a Switch with the same battery size as the OG.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I never said they have to announce that it has better battery life or performance. Just that it has to be officially announced as a distinct product.

Yes but that has a 20% smaller battery. The battery life gains would be notably larger in a Switch with the same battery size as the OG.

lol what makes you think they won't use they would use the same size battery in a newer switch? If anything they will use the same battery they use in the lite since the screen will still be 720p. I think you guys are missing the point of a more effecient and smaller soc.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah that's interesting, maybe just clocked down for compatibility, or if they have a weaker cooling system?

Nov 8, 2017
The battery life on the lite is only 30mins to an hr difference...

Which is like a 20% boost, on a battery 80% of the power capacity of the original. So, if they are refreshing the original Switch with this new chip (to streamline production / economy of scale), either they're lowering battery capacity while preserving power and battery life (which should make it lighter in the hands), or they're increasing the power, or they're increasing battery life. Probably by something more like 30%, if it's the same efficiency increase on the same size battery as the OG switch.

Personally hoping for more power, but yeah.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Which is like a 20% boost, on a battery 80% of the power capacity of the original. So, if they are refreshing the original Switch with this new chip (to streamline production / economy of scale), either they're lowering battery capacity while preserving power and battery life (which should make it lighter in the hands), or they're increasing the power, or they're increasing battery life. Probably by something more like 30%, if it's the same efficiency increase on the same size battery as the OG switch.
Why are you guys assuming they would use the same size battery again?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

I find it very hard to believe that they'd substantially increase the performance or battery life without telling people. Both of those, battery life in particular, would make very appealing marketing bullet points.

lol what makes you think they won't use they would use the same size battery in a newer switch? If anything they will use the same battery they use in the lite since the screen will still be 720p
Not filling all available space with battery would be a very odd hardware design move.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Or maybe more memory is taking up the extra space? Who knows. But a lot of assumptions are happening are right now and that usually doesn't end well.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this has me (slightly) rethinking my Switch purchase. And I was just feeling pretty good about jumping before the Switch lite.

Well, I'll keep my eye on this, I guess.

Dec 23, 2017

Yeah it's silly. Only thing I can think of is it really is a big die shrunk and they will get big performance gains when they up clocks. Maybe they wait and have the new switch get updated holiday next year around time of the other new consoles....🤷🏾‍♂️ It makes no sense which means it's Nintendo being Nintendo

Nov 8, 2017
Why are you guys assuming they would use the same size battery again?

If they use a smaller one, then it will be lighter, which is also a benefit, just a different one.

The only way we could wind up with a basically-identical version is if they use a smaller battery with the new chip, then also add some weights for no reason. In any case, it would be good to be able to identify the "better Switches", and calling it "New Switch" or something would at least offer that.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
If they use a smaller one, then it will be lighter, which is also a benefit, just a different one.

The only way we could wind up with a basically-identical version is if they use a smaller battery with the new chip, then also add some weights for no reason. In any case, it would be good to be able to identify the "better Switches", and calling it "New Switch" or something would at least offer that.
You'd be able to identify them by the new colors and they fact they aren't on sale or coming with extras like the old ones about to be discontinued.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017

This is probably what will happen.

I really would like a Switch Pro though...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just replacing the chips to make it so you can't homebrew anymore.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe more memory is taking up the extra space?
The SoC in this is probably going to be physically smaller, which should free up some space. More memory would also move the needle way away from it being a silent revision.
Probably just replacing the chips to make it so you can't homebrew anymore.
They started patching the important bits on newly manufactured Switches like a year ago.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
lol what makes you think they won't use they would use the same size battery in a newer switch? If anything they will use the same battery they use in the lite since the screen will still be 720p. I think you guys are missing the point of a more effecient and smaller soc.
Eh, I doubt it, unless the current Switch battery is excessively expensive. Using an identically sized battery would lead to worse battery life than the Lite due to the larger screen, and I don't think they'll do that for a higher priced device releasing later.

I do wonder if they'll make the cooling solution smaller, though. If they're targeting the same performance it should run a fair bit cooler. That extra space could be used for... something.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I never said they couldn't use a smaller battery. Please read what I've been saying in this conversation.

If they use a smaller battery then they will have to announce that, since they list the battery size for the Switch on their official website at 4310mAh. If that changes for this revision it will need a new category there.

Not too mention the weight will change, again requiring an update on the website.

My entire argument is that they will need to officially announce this new revision as a product at least somewhat distinct from the original Switch. I have not claimed anything more than that.

Edit: and you seem to agree if you think it will launch with different colors.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm wondering if the rumours of the "Switch Pro" are really just this.

Switch Lite, late 2019.
Switch revision, this, with updated SoC, extra storage, better battery, fundamentally the same system overall but with a handful of QoL improvements.
Switch Pro / 2, much later down the track (2021?), as a proper successor.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I never said they couldn't use a smaller battery. Please read what I've been saying in this conversation.

If they use a smaller battery then they will have to announce that, since they list the battery size for the Switch on their official website at 4310mAh. If that changes for this revision it will need a new category there.

Not too mention the weight will change, again requiring an update on the website.

My entire argument is that they will need to officially announce this new revision as a product at least somewhat distinct from the original Switch. I have not claimed anything more than that.

Edit: and you seem to agree if you think it will launch with different colors.

What if they just updated the specs on their website without doing an official announcement?

Like, you're not expecting them to make a new YouTube video or even a tweet that says the official switch is now 12 grams lighter or whatever?

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people here seems confused. This is the Switch Pro. It was always only a codename used for when Switch moved from Tegra X1 to Mariko. We'll be getting the performance upgrades we hoped for. Bigger built in memory is just a nice bonus in my book.

Day 1 for me! Super excited.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people here seems confused. This is the Switch Pro. It was always only a codename used for when Switch moved from Tegra X1 to Mariko. We'll be getting the performance upgrades we hoped for. Bigger built in memory is just a nice bonus in my book.

Day 1 for me! Super excited.
More performance will be nice if that happens but I'm more interested in external changes like larger screen with less bezel, im worried it's going to be the exact same screen and exact same bezel

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
More performance will be nice if that happens but I'm more interested in external changes like larger screen with less bezel, im worried it's going to be the exact same screen and exact same bezel

Yeah it's ugly as hell but I think they will keep it. Even the Lite has the same style bezel just with a different colour. =[

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What if they just updated the specs on their website without doing an official announcement?

Like, you're not expecting them to make a new YouTube video or even a tweet that says the official switch is now 12 grams lighter or whatever?

They can't just update the specs on their website because those specs aren't true for the original Switch. They will have to have some sort of differentiation between the original and this new one. Even a simple "Battery size: 4310mAh (2017 model), 3650mAh* (2019 model)".

*Just pulling an arbitrary number out of my ass.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Just to quell Switch Lite specs discussion, we do have the full specs listed here, provided by Gamespot.

The Switch Lite battery capacity is smaller than OG Switch, at 3570mAh. OG Switch is 4310mAh.

Those aren't specs, or rather those aren't tech specs. I don't see anything remotely useful for figuring out what's powering it from the info provided.