• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Probably just a Tegra with the HW exploit fixed

This article indicates that this is not the "Pro", but rather an upgrade for the existing Switch. Which is interesting, as it would indicate that Nintendo would plan to keep the OG Switch in the lineup even when the Pro debuts, creating a family of 3 consoles (as opposed to the Switch Pro replacing the original).
Yeah? Were you thinking otherwise? It's not a Pro version if you phase out the original

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this won't really be marketed as the pro.
Might just take their time to fix some hardware issues (joy con rails, drift, etc) while releasing the base Switch while lower the cost to manufacture. Might introduce bundles at the end of the year too

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
expecting this to just be the new CPU (that's in switch lite) with 64 GB of storage and no physically obvious change to the current switch.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I thought that was through a software patch, not a chip update

Software can't patch anything in the Tegra. If anything its a temporary setback that hackers hack within a few days/weeks

Tegra itself had a mod to the chip in June of 2018. These Switches are known as "ipatched" units. With Nintendo modifying access to RCM (ReCovery Mode). Before recently, these Switches were unhackable. It's still unhackable if you have a unit above 4.1 fw

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
So this is gonna be the Zephyr vs. Falcon vs. Jasper situation all over again with people hunting for serial numbers if they want a Switch with the newer guts this holiday season?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
expecting this to just be the new CPU (that's in switch lite) with 64 GB of storage and no physically obvious change to the current switch.

One odd thing about the Switch is how many reference Nvidia components it uses. The existing eMMC board is one of those parts. It is a straight up Nvidia part with absolutely no changes made to it. Nvidia made that component for the Tegra X1 reference platform, Nintendo opted to use it.

Perhaps Nintendo wanted to go with a different eMMC solution, one less prone to issues - the Nvidia board is removable, can pop out of the socket if the Switch takes a hard hit.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't change the specs in any significant way. It's not a stealth "Switch Pro" or anything like that. They're probably just trying to wring a bit more battery life out of it with a more efficient chip update.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
People are hinging too much on the "pro". Most rumors said enhanced, and really best we will probably get is slightly better performance in the same package. Maybe docked performance in portable mode if your lucky.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Software can't patch anything in the Tegra. If anything its a temporary setback that hackers hack within a few days/weeks

Tegra itself had a mod to the chip in June of 2018. These Switches are known as "ipatched" units. With Nintendo modifying access to RCM (ReCovery Mode). Before recently, these Switches were unhackable. It's still unhackable if you have a unit above 4.1 fw

Software absolutely can. The right type of software, anyway.

"This bootrom can have minor patches made to it in the factory ('ipatches'), but cannot be patched once a device has left the factory."

Nintendo 'fixed' Fusse this way. Broader problems with the Tegra bootrom that have not been made public are not fixable the same way.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I expect something similar to the jump from Xbox One to Xbox One S. If it's anything like that, I'll be happy since I haven't bought a Switch yet.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Makes total sense. Or was someone actually thinking that they will manufacture og Switch with old 20nm Tegra which has security issue for rest of Switch's lifecycle?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How many people care about niche stuff like homebrew?
Maybe not a lot, but those that do will pay a nice premium. I had an extra Switch a year ago that I put on craigslist. A guy responded asking what the last five of the serial was. He played his hand and said it was moddable so I jacked up my price fro $300 to $500. He paid!

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Why does anyone think this is anything except a new, cheaper board that addresses the Nvidia exploits?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
To be expected. I don't think this is gonna be a "Pro", rather just more powerful parts now cheaper for mass production.

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest desire in a revision has been allowing docked mode play on the handheld.
Wouldn't add another profile for devs to target, but would help some games out quite a bit.

I imagine they could allow it via a software update, not sure if they'd make it just for this model but it doesn't sound like they'll push it any differently so would be weird marketing wise

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Time to sell my Switch....

I don't play the system docked, so the pro controller is kinda pointless for me, but I'm not a fan of a current Joycons.

If the newer models have better controller layouts, I'll probably jump in.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like I'll probably end up getting this in the end. It's been a wild ride folks.