• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nintendo just announced a smaller, cheaper version of the Switch today, but the Switch Lite may not be the only trick up Nintendo's sleeves — the original Nintendo Switch is also getting a new processor and new flash storage chips, according to filings with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The new chips could mean fewer slowdowns, faster load times, longer battery life, less heat... or perhaps none of these things.

Nintendo submitted what's called a "Class II Permission Change" to the FCC, effectively a request to tweak an existing gadget without having to get the whole thing recertified for sale in the United States. And there, it vaguely lays out the changes

FZzuQzm.png

Read more here

EDIT 1:

Takashi Mochizuki mentioned about this FCC filing.

Looks like mochi is inferring this is the enhanced version

I asked him and he quoted his article. Looks like this might be it.

Last edited:

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Don't FCC filings generally point to an imminent release?

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Well either Pro is not coming for quite so time or this is the Pro model.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
So the Switch was the Switch Pro all along...
Yeah no way Nintendo splits the base
Both DF and people in the speculation thread guessed it's the same SoC

The.pro will have better cooling to run at higher clocks whole the lite only needs to run at OG portable clocks

Performace guesses range from 1.5 to 2x power. At this point, anything about 2x is rather unlikely. I'm personally.in the 1.5x camp

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Makes sense. The chip from the lite is probably also being used for the new Switch skus. It is probably cheaper to make, which might allow then to drop the price more easily in the future.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Okay but like...wouldn't that still mean that the original Switch would have to be able to play all the games if they're supposedly going to sell this new one under the same SKU? This just sounds like cheaper hardware or something that will effectively just play the same games anyway.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sounds like the second model/revision that's coming this year. I'm expecting this to get at least two colors.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Both DF and people in the speculation thread guessed it's the same SoC

The.pro will have better cooling to run at higher clocks whole the lite only needs to run at OG portable clocks
Getting docked performance in handheld mode is one thing, but folks were talking about a XbonX or PS4 Pro level upgrade

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Going to quote myself from another thread:
We'll see, but I find it strange that Nintendo would just change out the SoC for a more energy efficient one (which would presumably bring along more battery life and maybe even performance) and not market it as a "New" Nintendo Switch instead

Deleted member 16753

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The SoC is locked to base clocks so they can use a simpler design. You also don't need fast memory if it never clocks up to the full speed.

This doesn't mean that there an upgrade hidden somewhere.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
this was obvious. The Switch Lite and Pro both heavily rumored were expected to feature the same upgraded cpu. Also would possibly explain the battery life improvements.

If anything the Pro may end up slightly more upclocked than the Lite when it releases.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the Switch was the Switch Pro all along...

I've always thought they'd quietly replace the original Switch with the 16nm process and not mention it. They'll have the same battery targets as the original Switch so the extra efficiency will be used for faster CPU and GPU clock speeds resulting in more stable framerates and higher resolutions in previous games.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
seems like it's just a cheaper and naturally better option rather than a deliberate upgrade like the pro will be

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This article indicates that this is not the "Pro", but rather an upgrade for the existing Switch. Which is interesting, as it would indicate that Nintendo would plan to keep the OG Switch in the lineup even when the Pro debuts, creating a family of 3 consoles (as opposed to the Switch Pro replacing the original).

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I want at least 6 hours of battery life when playing Zelda breath of the Wild. The 4 hours on the Lite is unacceptable.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
"... or perhaps none of these things."

That's what I'm going with. Just a refresh with what is likely cheaper/more efficient parts with the same core specs/performance.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
docked performance in handheld is wayy too big a leap anyway.

Docked performance in handheld is straight up achievable today by replacing the crappy thermal compound Nintendo used with the Good Good and using the homebrew Switch overclocking apps. A die shrink alone should be sufficient to hit docked performance.