• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
So let me ask this... let's say Nintendo wants to sneak a new SOC into the OG Switch but isn't interested in advertising it, just a behind the scenes hardware upgrade. If the new SOC is much more efficient than the OG, could we see better performance (battery and/or framerate and/or dynamic resolution) despite Nintendo's attempts to make it maintain parity with the 2017 hardware?

If Nintendo doesn't add additional performance profiles for the new SOC (i.e. higher CPU and/or GPU and/or memory clocks) that can then be used by actual games then, no. Games would run exactly the same as on the 2017 hardware. All you'd get out of this is (probably) longer battery life in handheld mode as a side-effect.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
lol, it's pretty funny how people came up with the concept of "switch pro", speculated and talked to death about it for a year, people said i'll play so and so game when i pick up my switch pro, but now are like "where's the switch pro?". the rumors exactly fit what's happening here. the old tegra X1 is getting discontinued, a slightly enhanced revision of the SoC is being used in the switch lite as well this "shadow" revision that'll just silenty replace the current switch and give it better battery life and maybe more storage.
anyone who's disappointed only has themselves to blame for just assuming a switch pro that's going to massively enhance game performance (or even crazier, open doors for ports that were previously impossible, ignoring the fact that those still had to run on base switch) is just an inevitable thing that's going to happen this or next year.

Agreed on that last part. This is what everyone who has been paying attention has been expecting from the "pro".

However, the part about silently replacing...

why are people assuming this thing will "launch"? just like they once changed the system without making any big deal out of it (the fixed the hardware vulnerability) in june of last year, i think this will just replace the current system that's on the shelves slowly without any hoopla or previous announcement, and they'll just refer to it as "late-2019 switch" in tech specifications and stuff.

A few points:

1) Emily said it will release in two colors. That already requires some sort of announcement ("Switch 2019" is what I'm betting on)

2) Even if it did not have new colors the device would have one or more of the following, if it uses the same SoC as the Lite:

a) Substantially increased battery life
b) Noticeably better performance in portable mode
c) A smaller battery

And Nintendo would very likely need/want to announce those features and differentiate the product in some way, so that consumers aren't participating in a lottery for the quality of their Switch. Even if the OG Switch is discontinued it will be on store shelves for a very long time along with this new model. There will have to be some form of differentiation.

i just want a revised Switch (not lite/pro). better battery, more efficient CPU, more RAM, less bezel.

i say not Pro because I think that'll be model that just plugs into the wall + TV.

This one will have either better battery life, more efficient processors, or a combination of both. Probably the same bezel and same amount of RAM but RAM amount has never been an issue for Switch games, unlike RAM bandwidth which might change.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
So, no pro?

980x.gif

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty sure it'll just be a regular hybrid model, with its new fancy Joy-Cons (without d-pad tho), dock and so on. It may have a new name but it won't be Pro, even though it may feature better performance. It'll replace the current 2017 model, will get its own announcement (where Nintendo will mention new little features) and will co exist alongside Lite model for the next two years.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it will also have a better screen, according to the original report. Its a psp 2000/3000 type of upgrade as i wrote before

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly getting sick and tired of the sheer amount of games running in waaaay below 720p in handheld mode, so much so that it becomes detrimental to my enjoyment of the system, that I continue hoping that this silent revision will boost handheld performance.

Which, I guess, is something they could also offer optionally on older Switch's in exchange for worse battery life, so even if they don't want the die shrunk Switch to be too different from the OG, they could still implement undocked specs closer to docked? Pretty please?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So basically I'm skipping Lite and getting a new OG Switch.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
It has the same specs as the pro we wanted so yes
I admit that I haven't been following the rumor mill about Switch revisions too closely, but I'm confused. Who does 'we' refer to here?

This is, and has always been, the "pro" we have been discussing.

Maybe there's a more powerful one still in the works but it's not what the WSJ has been saying will launch this year.
So you're saying there's a chance.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
So now we have the Lite, the Standard one, the new revision, and the Pro coming up (supposedly, seems like the Revision is the actual Pro? I'm already confused). That's a lot of Switches and I hope Nintendo does a decent job with his marketing team to differentiates them enough and not confuse the population.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think my months-long grumbling about the 'Pro' nickname finally feels justified.

Yep, finally I see the light.

I admit that I haven't been following the rumor mill about Switch revisions too closely, but I'm confused. Who does 'we' refer to here?

Many of us who participated in the enormous WSJ rumor threads over the past many months.

So you're saying there's a chance.

Yeah Zhuge seemed to imply an actual pro might be happening (not this year) but this is not that.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Everyone here was expecting the pro model to have the new mariko Tegra and this revision is using the mariko Tegra, so it's the same specs
Many of us who participated in the enormous WSJ rumor threads over the past many months.
Yeah Zhuge seemed to imply an actual pro might be happening (not this year) but this is not that.
Oh, ok, it's about the SoC. That clears it up, thanks.

Let's hope there's actually something coming next year :(
Yeah, that's what I want to see. Prime 4 bundle down the line, please 🙏

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So now we have the Lite, the Standard one, the new revision, and the Pro coming up (supposedly, seems like the Revision is the actual Pro? I'm already confused). That's a lot of Switches and I hope Nintendo does a decent job with his marketing team to differentiates them enough and not confuse the population.

It seems more likely that by the end of this year there will be 2 Switch SKUs total:

1) Switch Lite
2) Switch 2019, which is basically just the original Switch with the new SoC as indicated in the FCC filing

Then maybe next year or 2021 will see a real Switch Pro or something, but that's not happening any time soon.

For the love of God I don't care what the revision is just replace the WiFi chip with a better one

I'm pretty sure for that to be the case they would actually need a brand new FCC filing, not an amendment to the current one. So probably not happening.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think insiders like zhuge know if a pro model exists or not, until some insider comes in here and says there's both a revised model and pro model then I'm not going to expect a separate pro model to even exists

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
For the sake of an honest discussion, are you stating this because you know how the process works from a legal and technical background or it's just an assumption?

As a layman, I don't see how a wireless certification would be impacted by how they market, name or redesign the revision as long as the relevant internal components are not changed and they use the same FCC ID on the casing and packages.

If you know otherwise, it's important to state it clearly.

That is how the process works from a legal standpoint. It is not permitted to file a request for a revision and to then launch a new product under that granted certification. A revision is a distinct thing and following the process matters. Otherwise, device manufacturers would file every single thing as a device revision and we'd all be carrying devices that have the same FCC ID as the products we used last year.

Nintendo can put this new system in a box and say it comes with a free game, they can change the color of the casing. What they cannot do is rename the device.

Additionally, that Nintendo did not update the User Manual when they requested (and received) FCC approval means that, without question, this product is not being marketed under a new name. See https://fccid.io/BKEHAC001/Letter/02-FCC-Class-II-Permissive-Change-Letter-4349995

I don't understand this point. Nintendo is just requesting that the product doesn't have to go through the full certification process because the product is so materially similar to the current Switch.

It has nothing to do with what this Switch is eventually marketed as. Nintendo doesn't have to promise to keep the revision a secret. Nintendo can call it "Switch Elite Edition" or "Switch Serious Gamer Edition" even if the only difference is the storage size. They could do that even if the FCC approved their request to use the regular Switch's certification. That's legal and that sort of thing happens all the time.

Again, I wish people would stop trying to argue this with me. What I am saying is just how things are, legally. Unless someone is able to present evidence of a device manufacturer receiving approval for a device revision and launching a new product with that approval, please stop making this argument.

Last edited:

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
It seems more likely that by the end of this year there will be 2 Switch SKUs total:

1) Switch Lite
2) Switch 2019, which is basically just the original Switch with the new SoC as indicated in the FCC filing

Then maybe next year or 2021 will see a real Switch Pro or something, but that's not happening any time soon.

Oh yeah, I'm just counting the rest of unsold "regular" Switch SKU's that are gonna still be floating in the market. I predict it's gonna be pretty akin to the GBA SP with his two models. Just those who know will look for the SKU number to get the better one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think a "new" Switch will come later than 2020, because would be too soon with the "OG" Switch and Lite in the market (yeah I know 3DS exists lol). And beside, I think Breath of the Wild 2 is going to be the big title for Nintendo to push those higher performance configurations.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think insiders like zhuge know if a pro model exists or not, until some insider comes in here and says there's both a revised model and pro model then I'm not going to expect a separate pro model to even exists

This sure sounds like he's at least implying he knows of it.

Oh yeah, I'm just counting the rest of unsold "regular" Switch SKU's that are gonna still be floating in the market. I predict it's gonna be pretty akin to the GBA SP with his two models. Just those who know will look for the SKU number to get the better one.

Gotcha, yeah. So there will be 3 SKUs on shelves by the end of the year but Nintendo will be shipping and producing only two.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think a "new" Switch will come later than 2020, because would be too soon with the "OG" Switch and Lite in the market (yeah I know 3DS exists lol). And beside, I think Breath of the Wild 2 is going to be the big title for Nintendo to push those higher performance configurations.
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you really think Nintendo is about to release a hardware revision that's that different from the OG Switch. It's still selling super well, it only came out two years ago, etc.

Also keep in mind that Breath of the Wild was developed for Wii U and ported to Switch, I'm sure it'll look that much better just because it's developed for Switch and not Wii U this time. Being that BOTW was already gorgeous, I don't think there's a huge need (on Nintendo's part or the audience's) for that much of a jump in visuals, especially for a sequel (and not like a brand new Zelda with new visuals etc.).

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you really think Nintendo is about to release a hardware revision that's that different from the OG Switch. It's still selling super well, it only came out two years ago, etc.

Also keep in mind that Breath of the Wild was developed for Wii U and ported to Switch, I'm sure it'll look that much better just because it's developed for Switch and not Wii U this time. Being that BOTW was already gorgeous, I don't think there's a huge need (on Nintendo's part or the audience's) for that much of a jump in visuals, especially for a sequel (and not like a brand new Zelda with new visuals etc.).

Multiple well sourced reporters at a publication of note - The Wall Street Journal - say they will. So they will. Probably early next year.

Trying to understand Nintendo from a rational standpoint is a fools errand. They don't operate rationally, they do things in a slightly weird, slightly wrong way. A rational company would have announced the Switch Lite either at E3 or closer to launch. Nintendo has a weak E3 (outside of BOTW 2) and leaves hardware on the table to....parade out a few weeks later. Wat.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This sure sounds like he's at least implying he knows of it.

Gotcha, yeah. So there will be 3 SKUs on shelves by the end of the year but Nintendo will be shipping and producing only two.

Switch 2 would be a next gen switch that would release 5 years or so after the OG so yea he's right we will be waiting awhile

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
But at the same time, 2021 would be Year 5 for the Switch. That's pretty late in the system's life.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta get it off my chest tho: As someone who hates the recent trend of mid-generation bumps (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, etc.) I'm super glad that this is all the rumours turned out to be and I can keep my OG Switch without feeling a need to upgrade.

Fuck yeah.

Multiple well sourced reporters at a publication of note - The Wall Street Journal - say they will. So they will. Probably early next year.

Trying to understand Nintendo from a rational standpoint is a fools errand. They don't operate rationally, they do things in a slightly weird, slightly wrong way. A rational company would have announced the Switch Lite either at E3 or closer to launch. Nintendo has a weak E3 (outside of BOTW 2) and leaves hardware on the table to....parade out a few weeks later. Wat.
Didn't the WSJ article basically reference exactly what this revision sounds like?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
So this is the PSP 2K?

No, it is a slight revision to the original Switch that legally cannot be marketed under a different name. For multiple reasons, but a big one is that they did not update the user manual.

This is a system called Nintendo Switch that likely features the die shrink SOC found in the Switch Lite but otherwise is identical to the existing Switch.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I still think a Pro will happen anyway. Nintendo is no stranger to hardware upgrades.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta get it off my chest tho: As someone who hates the recent trend of mid-generation bumps (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, etc.) I'm super glad that this is all the rumours turned out to be and I can keep my OG Switch without feeling a need to upgrade.

Fuck yeah.
But this is exactly what the rumoured Switch Pro was???

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility Over a Series of Posts; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior

Fuck yeah.

Didn't the WSJ article basically reference exactly what this revision sounds like?

No, the rumors did not turn out to be false. And reporting isn't the same thing as a rumor. What people like Emily say is worth less than nothing. What Takashi Mochizuki says is worth a lot.

Nope. This is not the product indicated in the articles. This is a revision that will share the same name as the original console - 'Nintendo Switch'. Not in an Apple kind of way, in a 'this is the same product' way.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
This also makes sense in my head because is really funny that the Switch Lite is coming out pretty much for the season of "portable focused" titles like Pokémon and Link's Awakening. What a coincidence lol.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the Pro then this is pretty disappointing and I'm pretty disappointed in myself for getting so torqued up over a Pro. I never learn smh.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch 2 would be a next gen switch that would release 5 years or so after the OG so yea he's right we will be waiting awhile

Yeah, that could be what he's referring to. You're right.

No, it is a slight revision to the original Switch that legally cannot be marketed under a different name. For multiple reasons, but a big one is that they did not update the user manual.

This is a system called Nintendo Switch that likely features the die shrink SOC found in the Switch Lite but otherwise is identical to the existing Switch.

Can they not simply file a new request with the FCC later to update the manual?

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But this is exactly what the rumoured Switch Pro was???
That's exactly what I'm saying - I'm glad it's not something more substantial.
No, the rumors did not turn out to be false.

Nope. This is not the product indicated in the articles. This is a revision that will share the same name as the original console - 'Nintendo Switch'. Not in an Apple kind of way, in a 'this is the same product' way.
I mean, they didn't know exactly what the product was, did they? I'm pretty sure they just said they heard that Nintendo will be releasing two updated Switch SKUs, one that's cheaper and one that bumps the hardware up - and that's basically what this is. I doubt they knew down the marketing how Nintendo would handle it and what this would be.

Nah, I really think this is the updated SKU that those articles were referencing. Other insiders were even saying that the rumoured "pro" would not be like the other "Pro" systems..

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the Pro then this is pretty disappointing and I'm pretty disappointed in myself for getting so torqued up over a Pro. I never learn smh.

You have no idea how this thing will perform though... what did you expect from the pro beyond the new Mariko chip, which this has?

Not after getting approval. You have to submit a draft manual prior to approval being granted.

They can't just do a second request similar to this one above, even if this one does get approved beforehand?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I mean, they didn't know exactly what the product was, did they? I'm pretty sure they just said they heard that Nintendo will be releasing two updated Switch SKUs, one that's cheaper and one that bumps the hardware up - and that's basically what this is. I doubt they knew down the marketing how Nintendo would handle it and what this would be.

Nah, I really think this is the updated SKU that those articles were referencing.

What is happening here - in this thread - is Nintendo updating the base Switch with the SOC from the Lite. It's not a Pro model, it is a cost savings move. That isn't to say that the Switch Pro does not exist. It absolutely does, there are too many serious people who do this kind of reporting for a living that say it does to just pretend that it isn't a thing just because Nintendo - who has lied about very topic in the past, see the DS Lite denials days before they announced the system - says it is not shipping this year.

Last edited:

swsp

Oct 27, 2017

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but it's looking like more of an Xbox 360 Jasper situation.

Dec 23, 2017
I just don't understand if you have a new chip that can run clocks higher just fucking do it.... at least let devs make the decision for themselves if their games need it.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like everyone is reading whatever they suspected beforehand into this. I can't find any other way to comprehend the massive amounts of misinformation going around.

I just don't understand if you have a new chip that can run clocks higher just fucking do it.... at least let devs make the decision for themselves if their games need it.

I agree. Any reason to assume they won't?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
They can't just do a second request similar to this one above, even if this one does get approved beforehand?

Again, no. They already received approval for the revision request. They'd have to go back to regulators, say 'hey, we received approval under false pretenses, we now need to update consumer-facing information that we said we didn't need to update but really do, because we were trying to deceive you' and receive approval for that request.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you're just believing what you want to believe.

What is happening here - in this thread - is Nintendo updating the base Switch with the SOC from the Lite. It's not a Pro model, it is a cost savings move. That isn't to say that the Switch Pro does not exist. It absolutely does, there are too many serious people who do this kind of reporting for a living that say it does to just pretend that it isn't a thing just because Nintendo - who has lied about very topic in the past, see the DS Lite denials days before they announced the system - says it is not shipping this year.
Okay, can you point me to a credible source where they confirm something is coming that could not possibly be this revision?

And to be fair, I could easily say "you're just believing what you want to believe" to you too lol.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You know the rumoured Switch Pro completely overlaps with what is reported here, right!? A lot of us expected it to just replace the base model.

And to be fair, I could easily say "you're just believing what you want to believe" to you too lol.
So much this.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Nobody reported a "pro" model. People reported an enhanced Switch model which was a modest upgrade. That's what this is, regardless of whether or not they give it a new name.

Again, no. They already received approval for the revision request. They'd have to go back to regulators, say 'hey, we received approval under false pretenses, we now need to update consumer-facing information that we said we didn't need to update but really do, because we were trying to deceive you' and receive approval for that request.

Hmmm. Seems like it's still possible but probably not the wisest thing for them to do.

Basically my issue here is this new Switch will have upgrades, in either battery life, performance, or a combination thereof. I have a hard time believing Nintendo will silently start putting these on shelves without announcing that they are different, even if the difference is minor.

Though I guess announcing "new Switch colors!" is a decent way to differentiate them.