• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Do you think it's too much to expect all handheld mode games on the Mariko SoC to default to the 460MHz configs? I feel like that should be achievable and still give a boost in battery life given what we know about the Switch Lite's battery life.
I think that as it stands now games choose their own clocks. I think they do so by making an API call to the OS/Hypervisor/Whatever requesting a clock change, and the system either changes the clock or not, and probably provides a success/fail return code.

It's possible that they could update the OS to just lock a minimum profile while games are running.

If the game requests a profile below the minimum profile it could respond with success and just change the clock to the minimum profile.

It's a bit hacky, but it would probably work just fine.

There's probably also an API call to get the current profile. If that's the case, they'd have to have something hacky to give the games appropriate responses.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
That argument isn't even really relevant at this point - that they didn't submit an updated manual (they stated this product does not require one) ends the argument about the name.

I don't wish to do law school homework about the FCC to win a discussion online.
I'd as the lawyer I married, but she doesn't do that sort of law.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
I'd as the lawyer I married, but she doesn't do that sort of law.

I totally understand that. It's just a really big ask to take the giant pile of FCC stuff and convert it into something understandable by the general public. The 'launching under a new device name' thing isn't really strictly speaking applicable anymore, because the lack of the new manual is more black letter. Nintendo indicated in their filing that a new manual is not required for this device revision. That means this device revision shares the original manual, which refers to the system as the Nintendo Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think that as it stands now games choose their own clocks. I think they do so by making an API call to the OS/Hypervisor/Whatever requesting a clock change, and the system either changes the clock or not, and probably provides a success/fail return code.

It's possible that they could update the OS to just lock a minimum profile while games are running.

If the game requests a profile below the minimum profile it could respond with success and just change the clock to the minimum profile.

It's a bit hacky, but it would probably work just fine.

There's probably also an API call to get the current profile. If that's the case, they'd have to have something hacky to give the games appropriate responses.

Right, I understand it might be a bit weird to actually implement the change on a firmware level but like you said I'm sure it would work. Hackers do it fine.

I'm more curious if you think the thermals will support that well enough. The dream of course is to get 768MHz in portable mode but I think defaulting to the highest current portable mode profile is a fairly simple and achievable first step.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 slim went through as a new device, not as a revision request.
Doesn't Switch getting a more efficient SoC effectively make it a new device meaning it has to go through as one? Or I guess it just means that's how Nintendo views it and it's up to the FCC to grant that request?

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Doesn't Switch getting a more efficient SoC effectively make it a new device meaning it has to go through as one? Or I guess it just means that's how Nintendo views it and it's up to the FCC to grant that request

In my eyes, I think running it through as a new device would be appropriate, but clearly Nintendo disagrees. You can do changes to the SOC as a device revision, it's just somewhat rare. Device revisions are usually stuff like 'Broadcom discontinued the Wifi chip we were using, we are revising this product to use a different chip'.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This makes sense. No point in updating the CPU for the mini-Switch while leaving the old, outmoded CPU in the OG switch.

Nintendo has done this before; They discreetly gave the Game Boy Advance SP a backlit screen around the same time as the DS and the Game Boy Micro. It was treated as the same model, with the addition only worthy of a blurb on the box.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
In my eyes, I think running it through as a new device would be appropriate, but clearly Nintendo disagrees. You can do changes to the SOC as a device revision, it's just somewhat rare. Device revisions are usually stuff like 'Broadcom discontinued the Wifi chip we were using, we are revising this product to use a different chip'.
Gotcha, thank you for your input! I have a better understanding now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This makes sense. No point in updating the CPU for the mini-Switch while leaving the old, outmoded CPU in the OG switch.

Nintendo has done this before; They discreetly gave the Game Boy Advance SP a backlit screen around the same time as the DS and the Game Boy Micro. It was treated as the same model, with the addition only worthy of a blurb on the box.

Yeah you know what, it could easily be something like this:

5694676259_f1106fac7c_b.jpg

But read "Now with a longer battery life!"

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Right, I understand it might be a bit weird to actually implement the change on a firmware level but like you said I'm sure it would work. Hackers do it fine.

I'm more curious if you think the thermals will support that well enough. The dream of course is to get 768MHz in portable mode but I think defaulting to the highest current portable mode profile is a fairly simple and achievable first step.
I think on the 2017 SoC, it probably wouldn't support the thermals for boost mode all the time. I think on the 2019 SoC, it probably would.

Changing the minimum clocks would probably affect the battery life enough for them to have some hesitation.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia PR doesn't know shit about shit. The tweet was just wrong, it shouldn't be used to speculate about Nintendo's plans.

Not saying
Yeah you know what, it could easily be something like this:

5694676259_f1106fac7c_b.jpg

But read "Now with a longer battery life!"

This is what I've been saying. They'll release with some new colours, better battery life and or storage as the main selling points or at least what they focus on with the packaging and marketing. Same model, improved components.

I feel using the term Pro is muddying things too much as that would suggest a more significant upgrade and an entirely new model altogether.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
This would be like if Apple released 2 iPhone 10's,
they both had the same name
they both looked the same
and they both were the same price

But one was better than the other

It makes no sense
Except they do it all the time with their iMac and MacBook lines? I think they just silently upgraded their MacBook Air 13'' which, guess what, it's still called MacBook Air 13'' and looks exactly the same.

I don't see the point in making comparisons, there is most certainly a way to roll out a revision of the "Nintendo Switch" with whatever changes they have in store in a way that it's clear to the consumer.
You are all acting like this revision is already in stores and we have to hunt the new ones!

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This would be like if Apple released 2 iPhone 10's,
they both had the same name
they both looked the same
and they both were the same price

But one was better than the other

It makes no sense

They did this with Apple Watch. When they released Series 2, they upgraded Series 1 watches. Old Series 1 watches became dubbed series 0.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think on the 2017 SoC, it probably wouldn't support the thermals for boost mode all the time. I think on the 2019 SoC, it probably would.

Changing the minimum clocks would probably affect the battery life enough for them to have some hesitation.

The 2017 one already supports 460MHz all the time for games like BotW, Mario Odyssey and MK11.

Also according to homebrew folks it supports 768MHz fine too, just with less battery life (less than/around 2 hours).

Now with 64GB of Storage!
Now in new colors!

It's a differentiator. Not my preference, but it's there.

Are we taking the "Change of NAND Memory type" to mean they're using more storage, or to mean it's a different type of storage (i.e. faster storage)? Or potentially both?

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
The 2017 one already supports 460MHz all the time for games like BotW, Mario Odyssey and MK11.

Also according to homebrew folks it supports 768MHz fine too, just with less battery life (less than/around 2 hours).
I thought we were basically talking about the 2017 SoC supporting full time boost mode docked. I don't think the cooling would be enough. It is a guess.

I think the 2019 SoC would support full time boost mode docked thermally.

Are we taking the "Change of NAND Memory type" to mean they're using more storage, or to mean it's a different type of storage (i.e. faster storage)? Or potentially both?
Potentially both. I think that bigger memory is much more likely thing to be advertised on the box.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought we were basically talking about the 2017 SoC supporting full time boost mode docked. I don't think the cooling would be enough. It is a guess.

I think the 2019 SoC would support full time boost mode docked thermally.

I was asking about the 2019 SoC supporting 460MHz undocked all the time. And potentially supporting 768MHz undocked too. Not docked.

What do you mean by boost mode docked? The CPU at 1785MHz?

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read all the pages so...

...Can we still expect a "pro" Switch this year (af far as we know based on leaks and rumors) or is this the "speculated" pro?
Wanting to buy a Switch, but not in a hurry... but if this is the new model for at least until the end of the year, I'll grab one.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't read all the pages so...

...Can we still expect a "pro" Switch this year (af far as we know based on leaks and rumors) or is this the "speculated" pro?
Wanting to buy a Switch, but not in a hurry... but if this is the new model for at least until the end of the year, I'll grab one.
There is no pro, the rumored pro is this revised one

The pro switch is like star fox GP

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrible analogy. None of the rumors said the "pro" would be anything more than this. This revision is basically word for word exactly how the "pro" has been described by most rumors.
I know I said the revised switch is the pro

But there is no stronger switch releasing that is labeled as a stronger switch

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I was asking about the 2019 SoC supporting 460MHz undocked all the time. And potentially supporting 768MHz undocked too. Not docked.

What do you mean by boost mode docked? The CPU at 1785MHz?
Well we already know the OG switch can support those clocks full time in portable mode via hackers, it just uses the battery more, particularly in docked mode. As far the CPU boost mode, I believe it introduced some instabilities depending on the GPU clock, but I could be wrong.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I know I said the revised switch is the pro

But there is no stronger switch releasing that is labeled as a stronger switch

Right. But nobody claimed there would be. The rumors in this case were accurate.

Which is the opposite of the StarFox GP situation.

Well we already know the OG switch can support those clocks full time in portable mode via hackers, it just uses the battery more, particularly in docked mode. As far the CPU boost mode, I believe it introduced some instabilities depending on the GPU clock, but I could be wrong.

Right, I just mean is it feasible to expect them to set 460MHz as the minimum clock speed available in portable mode if this new chip is ~50% more energy efficient. Or will they not change that at all and just advertise better battery life (probably going to be the case).

I'd hope at least some games might be patched to take advantage of the 460MHz mode anyway.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I'm no expert in FCC filings but things can be submitted and just not visible to the general public or be omitted until a later date.

It looks like here they removed the internal photos and obviously what the specs are for later. So you can't really confirm how minor it is just from the update

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Okay, so I think it's important to clarify a few things, to avoid my comments getting twisted.

I don't believe this will be a "silent revision".
This "Switch with enhanced components" sounds like something that Nintendo will need to inform retailers and customers about.
An updated CPU, extra storage, and updated battery life are all important marketing points. And who knows what else may have been updated or improved.
And yes, based on what I've heard through the grapevine, at least two colors are planned for this Switch revision (if you want to call it a revision).

I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.

What people like Emily say is worth less than nothing.

I've been reporting on Nintendo news for over ten years, and I've written for multiple publications.
I think I'm in a good-enough position to know what is going on over at Nintendo.

On June 17th, I wrote the following:

Yes, I believe Wall Street Journal's report is very accurate. There's two models coming, both currently being manufactured. A more portable version, and a version with enhanced components. Warning: I don't know anything about the specs/power of the devices.

I heard September for both new models, but I heard that a long time ago, so maybe plans have changed. (Was it Nikkei who heard the enhanced version was delayed?) I remember when Bloomberg reported a June release and I was confused where they heard that from.

I did hear multiple colors were planned for the portable version.
  • Portable version releasing in September: Confirmed.
  • Multiple colors for the portable Switch: Confirmed.
Based on that quote, do I sound like a person who knows nothing?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I think it's important to clarify a few things, to avoid my comments getting twisted.

This "Switch with enhanced components" sounds like something that Nintendo will need to inform retailers and customers about.
An updated CPU, extra storage, and updated battery life are all important marketing points. And who knows what else may have been updated or improved.
And yes, based on what I've heard through the grapevine, at least two colors are planned for this Switch revision (if you want to call it a revision).

I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.

I've been reporting on Nintendo news for over ten years, and I've written for multiple publications.
I think I'm in a good-enough position to know what is going on over at Nintendo.

I agree with you, but some people in here are saying it will have exact same name as the current switch, it won't be called new switch or switch plus anything like that

Btw do you know if it will have a larger screen?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting, thanks! So that CNET interview with Doug Bowser is going to look weird soon.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
the biggest problem is that people kept saying pro and mini instead of using the correct rumor names of
"Cheaper" and "enhanced" units

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Is this "enhanced" version meant to replace the 2017 Switch? Clearly all three will be on the market for awhile but I'm guessing after stock is gone there will be no more OG Switch consoles? Just the Lite and "enhanced"? Is that your feeling?

Oct 26, 2017
They will want to leave the announcement late as possible if they are quickly phasing out the old stock, so maybe mid-late August like some of us were thinking for the mini.
Unless Emily's hearing it comes out before the Lite?, but I'm assuming it will be simultaneous.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the enhanced to co-exist with OG Switch and maintain the same price they are going to have to package a game with OG Switch so the consumer doesn't feel cheated.

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't see Nintendo making a big deal about a revised switch that now has better battery life and some extra storage. They can just give the switch a new box design and then put 64GB on the box and a disclaimer that highlights the increase in power efficiency and call it a day. If the new colors rumor is true, then that will be a way to identify the new models as well.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It won't coexist guys. It will follow mobile naming to a tee, ie it will be called Switch 2019, and then we will have a Switch 2021 before the Switch 2. The Switch OG will retroactively be called the Switch 2017, see a major price reduction to clear out stock or have a major trade in promotion to see Switch 2019s fly off the shelf, and that's it.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It won't coexist guys. It will follow mobile naming to a tee, ie it will be called Switch 2019, and then we will have a Switch 2021 before the Switch 2. The Switch OG will retroactively be called the Switch 2017, see a major price reduction to clear out stock or have a major trade in promotion to see Switch 2019s fly off the shelf, and that's it.

Can't drop the price of Switch 2017 too low because that would hurt the Lite's message. My guess is Switch 2017 would be sold with a packin game (or vouchers) until stock is gone at $299.