• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
the biggest problem is that people kept saying pro and mini instead of using the correct rumor names of
"Cheaper" and "enhanced" units

I think WSJ has lots of faults here.
Words like 'avid gamers' and 'their designs are different from the original and you'd be surprised'.
What is so surprising about the Switch lite, and what is so surprising about an enhanced model that's just updated components of the interiors?

For Switch lite, WSJ further mentioned 'You would be wrong to think the other is just a cheap alternative that looks very similar to some past hand-held machines, say, Sony's PlayStation Vita', but the Switch lite is really just a larger vita, gimmick-free and straight to the point.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Right. But nobody claimed there would be. The rumors in this case were accurate.

Which is the opposite of the StarFox GP situation.

Right, I just mean is it feasible to expect them to set 460MHz as the minimum clock speed available in portable mode if this new chip is ~50% more energy efficient. Or will they not change that at all and just advertise better battery life (probably going to be the case).

I'd hope at least some games might be patched to take advantage of the 460MHz mode anyway.
I'm pretty sure it's something they could force at the OS level, and/or give control over to the user(normal vs boost mode or whatever). Whether or not they would do it, who knows. I mean it's really odd that the 460mhz profile has been locked down to basically 3-4 games even though it has apparently existed for quite some time.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I think WSJ has lots of faults here.
Words like 'avid gamers' and 'their designs are different from the original and you'd be surprised'.
What is so surprising about the Switch lite, and what is so surprising about an enhanced model that's just updated components of the interiors?

For Switch lite, WSJ further mentioned 'You would be wrong to think the other is just a cheap alternative that looks very similar to some past hand-held machines, say, Sony's PlayStation Vita', but the Switch lite is really just a larger vita, gimmick-free and straight to the point.
this is it exactly

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Is this "enhanced" version meant to replace the 2017 Switch? Clearly all three will be on the market for awhile but I'm guessing after stock is gone there will be no more OG Switch consoles? Just the Lite and "enhanced"? Is that your feeling?

Yes, it's meant to (eventually) replace the OG Switch consoles. It will have a similar price to what the OG Switch has now.

I agree with you, but some people in here are saying it will have exact same name as the current switch

Another thing I should make clear: I don't know anything about the branding.
It could have the exact same name as Switch (but now with better battery/storage!). It could have a brand new name (like Switch Lite). Unfortunately I don't know.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Yes, it's meant to (eventually) replace the OG Switch consoles. It will have a similar price to what the OG Switch has now.

Thanks!

If it's replacing the original switch my guess is a price cut will happen. They need to sell the stock that's already been shipped out

If it's slightly more expensive then they have more room to work with because they can just bundle the original to sell stock, while later eventually lowering the price of the "new" one

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
That's what we've been expecting all along, despite vicious Era->Internet->Era hype magnification about a "Pro" model.
reasonably, yes. But for anyone willing to look at the Switch models rumor thread, there were some major theories on the Pro model and a lot of backlash for anyone that believed this was going to be just a "revision"

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

It could have the exact same name as Switch (but now with better battery/storage!). It could have a brand new name (like Switch Lite). Unfortunately I don't know.
K thanks for the infos

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks!

If it's replacing the original switch my guess is a price cut will happen. They need to sell the stock that's already been shipped out

If it's slightly more expensive then they have more room to work with because they can just bundle the original to sell stock, while later eventually lowering the price of the "new" one

They've should have a decent handle on how much of the old stock to make before the new one, they just introduced a new box with a free eShop voucher in Europe and Japan, retailers were discounting stock to make way for that bundle.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017

Do you think it will launch this year?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably upgrade. Worth it for what we're likely to get (improved battery life, more storage, maybe more) plus then I can finally homebrew my launch Switch.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

If they cut the price of the old model then they would be suggesting this is a new model and not the same model

Oct 26, 2017
The only weird thing about a new Switch with better battery life is that they just put out a spec comparison with the Switch and the Switch Lite, telling everyone that Switch Lite has a better battery life than Switch. So I think it'll have a slightly different name if that's the case, even if it's just Nintendo Switch (64 GB)

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so as someone planning on grabbing a second Switch because one will basically be consumed by Pokémon and Animal Crossing, which model makes the most sense?

Pokémon/Animal Crossing makes sense on a portable device and the idea of spending less money on a device is appealing, however losing TV play entirely is a huge downside. So the question is should I wait for this hardware refresh, or snag a Mini when I can?

I see the pros and cons, the big deciding factor is when this refresh gets released.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's something they could force at the OS level, and/or give control over to the user(normal vs boost mode or whatever). Whether or not they would do it, who knows. I mean it's really odd that the 460mhz profile has been locked down to basically 3-4 games even though it has apparently existed for quite some time.

Yeah the bigger question is always what they want to do versus what they can do. I'd only really bother upgrading if I get substantial improvement in performance in portable mode.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I'm actually pretty pleased with how this is turning out. Because there isn't a "Pro" model and the Refresh probably isnt a notable jump, it means that Next-Gen is probably closer then it would have been with a "Pro". So, instead of the Switch lasting well into like 2024 or something, we might get the Nintendo Super Switch in 2022. That way they can keep the interest-train up and running; they dont want a repeat of the "Wii cycle" where it completely died off 4-ish years after launch.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I was asking about the 2019 SoC supporting 460MHz undocked all the time. And potentially supporting 768MHz undocked too. Not docked.

The 2017 SoC or the 2019 SoC should be able to support 460MHz at all times, but the battery may be the limiting factor.

What do you mean by boost mode docked? The CPU at 1785MHz?
Yeah. As a question of thermals. These 4 modes:

[7.0.0+] 0x9222000917857681600
[7.0.0+] 0x9222000A17857681331.2
[7.0.0+] 0x9222000B10207681600
[7.0.0+] 0x9222000C10207681331.2

The thermals between docked and undocked should be close to the same right?

The difference being that while docked:
  • It doesn't rely on the battery, but the battery may still heat up from charging.
  • The airflow is limited by whatever cabling is present in the back of the dock.
When undocked:
  • Relying on the battery may generate heat.
  • The airflow can be limited only by the design of the cooling for the unit itself, but the dock won't be there to protect from the venting ports from being inadvertently covered.
In the 2017 SoC, I feel like those need to be used sparingly because of the thermal design, but on the 2019 SoC those speeds should generate less thermal waste and therefore be maintainable for longer periods of time.

Sorry if it feels like I'm changing what I'm saying sometimes. I'm still thinking this through. I think the limitations are - in order:
  1. The cooling solution
  2. The run time on a charged battery.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually pretty pleased with how this is turning out. Because there isn't a "Pro" model and the Refresh probably isnt a notable jump, it means that Next-Gen is probably closer then it would have been with a "Pro". So, instead of the Switch lasting well into like 2024 or something, we might get the Nintendo Super Switch in 2022. That way they can keep the interest-train up and running; they dont want a repeat of the "Wii cycle" where it completely died off 4-ish years after launch.
probably means the opposite with a pro maybe happening in 2021 lasting for 3 years

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
probably means the opposite with a pro maybe happening in 2021 lasting for 3 years
Tbh I really don't see it at this point. There's no evidence of it in the OS, and next Spring we're going to be in the Switchs 4th year on the market.
There's no point bringing out a Pro in '21 since most of the interest in the platform from both devs and consumers would be heavily waning.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I really don't see it at this point. There's no evidence of it in the OS, and next Spring we're going to be in the Switchs 4th year on the market.
There's no point bringing out a Pro in '21 since most of the interest in the platform from both devs and consumers would be heavily waning.
Switch will be 3 years old next spring. PS4 pro and Xbox One X came out around that time. They might wait till holiday 2020/early 2021. Perhaps with Zelda.

Nintendo did say they wanted switch to last quite awhile, even the 3DS got the New 3DS 4 years later

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Whether it's called Pro or Advance or 2 or Plus or X or 64 or Lite is all a matter of marketing.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
Okay, so I think it's important to clarify a few things, to avoid my comments getting twisted.

I don't believe this will be a "silent revision".
This "Switch with enhanced components" sounds like something that Nintendo will need to inform retailers and customers about.
An updated CPU, extra storage, and updated battery life are all important marketing points. And who knows what else may have been updated or improved.
And yes, based on what I've heard through the grapevine, at least two colors are planned for this Switch revision (if you want to call it a revision).

I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.

I've been reporting on Nintendo news for over ten years, and I've written for multiple publications.
I think I'm in a good-enough position to know what is going on over at Nintendo.

On June 17th, I wrote the following:

• Portable version releasing in September: Confirmed.
  • Multiple colors for the portable Switch: Confirmed.
Based on that quote, do I sound like a person who knows nothing?

I stand by my statement. You are a good guesser with access to people far removed from the decision makers. Your list of Ls is a lot longer than the list of Ws. Co-signing an actual report by actual professional reporters doesn't lend you credibility. No matter how much you protest, you aren't Jason Schreier.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Whether it's called Pro or Advance or 2 or Plus or X or 64 or Lite is all a matter of marketing.
Not particularly.
A marginally upgraded system that plays the same games at higher performances, and has no exclusive library is very different from;

A completely new sequel system that has far greater specs, and a new library made exclusively for that specification.

I do agree that Pro, X, Plus, etc is all pretty much the same and doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.
However what the name implies is the key thing, as there are two different systems that could potentially come out in future years.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
Not particularly.
A marginally upgraded system that plays the same games at higher performances, and has no exclusive library is very different from;

A completely new sequel system that has far greater specs, and a new library made exclusively for that specification.

I do agree that Pro, X, Plus, etc is all pretty much the same and doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things.
However what the name implies is the key thing, as there are two different systems that could potentially come out in future years.
What it implies is a matter of marketing. Sony and MS have already X and Pro and have established them to mean those right now for core gamers like those of us on this board.

The difference between Pro and 2 and Advance doesn't have to mean anything.

The difference between Switch and Switch 2 can be super minor as well.

You ever know anyone who gets a brand new, pretty looking, slow-ass phone that insists that it's super fast? That's just marketing.

It's just marketing.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
So did Nintendo ever revise the joycons to address reliability issues? If not, I'd be concerned about the sticks on a Switch that can't just be swapped out, and I'd be hesitant to buy a new Switch if this does turn out to be a silent upgrade.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't dived into that other thread all that much but that essentially confirms that this new Switch will have boosted processing, correct? Which means this absolutely has to be the enhanced model reported by the WSJ.

So as of right now there is not necessarily any actual separate upgraded Switch coming next year or whenever.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by my statement. You are a good guesser with access to people far removed from the decision makers. Your list of Ls is a lot longer than the list of Ws. Co-signing an actual report by actual professional reporters doesn't lend you credibility. No matter how much you protest, you aren't Jason Schreier.

This post is rude.
I don't know if she has access to people close enough from the decisions makers, but she told us many infos that were proven right so saying that 'what she says is worth less than nothing" is bullshit.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you're committed to this troll gig aint ya

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Over the last 3-4 years her list of W's is way, way longer than her list of L's. You have no idea how far removed her sources are from the actual decision makers.

Being rude to insiders is not a good look, it's what drove many away from this site to begin with.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be surprised if this """new""" switch was really announced in the next month or two considering Doug Bowser's comments to the contrary. But hey, who knows. Marketers and lies, amirite.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impossible when the native resolution on the screen stays at 720p in the long run. Unless.... they bump the native screen resolution.

And if they do, anything......... is fair games.
the home screen can change resolution just like games can. what people want is a 1080p home screen on the TV

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

good riddance

and Emily please don't ever feel the need to justify yourself to rude trolls and assholes. I've been following your reporting from back when you were dropping nuggets about 3DS eshop/digital/os stuff. your record speaks for itself.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So assuming the new Switch is using the Mariko SoC, what exactly is the difference between Mariko and the Tegra X2?

p8q8M7k.png

Most of the benefits in moving from the X1 to the X2 was supposed to come from the 16nm FinFET process, but Mariko is presumably manufactured on this node. So other than losing out on the Denver cores and extra memory bandwidth, it doesn't seem like much else changes. And for all we know the Mariko SoC may have memory changes to it as well.

It seems like the Mariko SoC in the Switch Lite (and this Switch revision) is really just a tailored and customized Tegra X2.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
The disclosed OS findings basically confirm the FCC revision is the enhanced Switch we have been speculating on.

I am just confused by the mention of the LPDDR4x RAM. Unless that's only for the Lite, I guess they should have mentioned that in the change request?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So assuming the new Switch is using the Mariko SoC, what exactly is the difference between Mariko and the Tegra X2?

p8q8M7k.png

Most of the benefits in moving from the X1 to the X2 was supposed to come from the 16nm FinFET process, but Mariko is presumably manufactured on this node. So other than losing out on the Denver cores and extra memory bandwidth, it doesn't seem like much else changes. And for all we know the Mariko SoC may have memory changes to it as well.

It seems like the Mariko SoC in the Switch Lite (and this Switch revision) is really just a tailored and customized Tegra X2.
it's the X1 as proven by Shield source code

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Okay, so I think it's important to clarify a few things, to avoid my comments getting twisted.

I don't believe this will be a "silent revision".
This "Switch with enhanced components" sounds like something that Nintendo will need to inform retailers and customers about.
An updated CPU, extra storage, and updated battery life are all important marketing points. And who knows what else may have been updated or improved.
And yes, based on what I've heard through the grapevine, at least two colors are planned for this Switch revision (if you want to call it a revision).

I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.

I've been reporting on Nintendo news for over ten years, and I've written for multiple publications.
I think I'm in a good-enough position to know what is going on over at Nintendo.

On June 17th, I wrote the following:

• Portable version releasing in September: Confirmed.
  • Multiple colors for the portable Switch: Confirmed.
Based on that quote, do I sound like a person who knows nothing?
You deserve a toast 🥂 for this comment

Oct 26, 2017

p8q8M7k.png

The datamining has identified the new chip's Gpu ID as Maxwell GM20B_B, if it was based on X2's Pascal it would be something like GP20B_B.
I doubt any of this matters much though.