• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Interesting, thanks! So that CNET interview with Doug Bowser is going to look weird soon.
Well technically he could still be right if they view "new hardware" as a new SKU like the Lite. If this is simply a sightly updated Switch I could see his comment being "accurate" in that sense.

But yeah. I guess he'd have no choice but to say that if their marketing plans have a specific time frame that they plan to stick to

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
So can we start up the Switch(Endowed) Edition Touch Down This Year Hype Train now? Someone get Hype Master Reggie on the phone. Doug is fucking up

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The datamining has identified the new chip's Gpu ID as Maxwell GM20B_B, if it was based on X2's Pascal it would be something like GP20B_B.
I doubt any of this matters much though.

Would there actually be a difference in real world terms though? Isn't Pascal essentially just Maxwell with a die shrink? Is there any other notable difference?

To me this seems like there same thing as the TX2 just without the Denver cores and with less bandwidth.

Oct 26, 2017
Would there actually be a difference in real world terms though? Isn't Pascal essentially just Maxwell with a die shrink? Is there any other notable difference?

To me this seems like there same thing as the TX2 just without the Denver cores and with less bandwidth.
I only know what Wikipedia knows for that, it lists some differences, like having twice the registers of Maxwell. I think Pascal's 16bitFP support is in TX1 though, so I don't know what else made it into Tegra X1.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

This is exactly what I was saying earlier. Most of the benefits of the X2 came from the superior 16nm FinFET node. But now we're getting the X1 on the 16nm node, which seems like it's going to bring about most of those improvements (lower power, higher clocks, takes up less space, etc).

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine we'll hear about this "Switch with enhanced components" either by the end of this month or early August.
I was going to say that this sounds a little soon, since the Switch Lite won't even be out until September...

...Though seeing how many people on Era fail to comprehend what the Lite's purpose actually is, maybe it's necessary to assure some people that Nintendo isn't giving up on TV gaming entirely.

Regardless, thanks for posting; I always appreciate your input.

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say that this sounds a little soon, since the Switch Lite won't even be out until September...

...Though seeing how many people on Era fail to comprehend what the Lite's purpose actually is, maybe it's necessary to assure some people that Nintendo isn't giving up on TV gaming entirely.

Regardless, thanks for posting; I always appreciate your input.
If the lite and enhanced are both being manufactured at the same time, they should be ready to release at the same time.

Though the switch lite was announced oddly early so I'm not sure if this sku would as well.
Imagine they want to replace the old switch ASAP, and they've been trying to empty stock

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
So let me ask this... let's say Nintendo wants to sneak a new SOC into the OG Switch but isn't interested in advertising it, just a behind the scenes hardware upgrade. If the new SOC is much more efficient than the OG, could we see better performance (battery and/or framerate and/or dynamic resolution) despite Nintendo's attempts to make it maintain parity with the 2017 hardware?
Yes. We could see a PSP situation where Nintendo and developers start using the highest available performance profile since the new Switch can handle it, even if it causes poor battery life on older models.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the enhanced to co-exist with OG Switch and maintain the same price they are going to have to package a game with OG Switch so the consumer doesn't feel cheated.

Lmao, that's quite a leap. Do you not think it's more likely that they'll include extra storage (64gb), and sell it for $20 more than the OG Switch, or sell it for $300 and knock the OG Switch down to $280? If the original Switch comes with a pack in game then the average consumer is much more likely to buy that version, rather than a revision with slightly improved battery life.

Dec 23, 2017
This is exactly what I was saying earlier. Most of the benefits of the X2 came from the superior 16nm FinFET node. But now we're getting the X1 on the 16nm node, which seems like it's going to bring about most of those improvements (lower power, higher clocks, takes up less space, etc).
Why is everyone so against this then? Most people saying battery life and that's it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why is everyone so against this then? Most people saying battery life and that's it.

I don't think people are against it, but people wanted a clearly defined boost in power.

It all depends on what Nintendo wants to do. They could use all of the extra efficiency for increased battery life and not set clocks any higher (though the datamining in the other thread suggests otherwise). The hardware in this is basically exactly what we all expected, and it can allow them to get like 30-40% extra performance or something around there if they want to.

But it's Nintendo so who knows what they want to do.

Dec 23, 2017
I don't think people are against it, but people wanted a clearly defined boost in power.

It all depends on what Nintendo wants to do. They could use all of the extra efficiency for increased battery life and not set clocks any higher (though the datamining in the other thread suggests otherwise). The hardware in this is basically exactly what we all expected, and it can allow them to get like 30-40% extra performance or something around there if they want to.

No one sets themselves up for failure like Nintendo gamers or those wanting to be. I've owned intendo only console since the beginning. What we are getting is exactly what multiple reports stated. People jumped on board with the "pro" tag and made it to be something it wasn't. Smaller node, better battery, more efficient, and a modest clock bump is okay with me. Maybe Nintendo surprises us with more. But this is enough. I have seen overclocked OG switch running games and it's amazing. I'm okay with this. I think once the new switch is released and people see for themselves they will get over it.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao, that's quite a leap. Do you not think it's more likely that they'll include extra storage (64gb), and sell it for $20 more than the OG Switch, or sell it for $300 and knock the OG Switch down to $280? If the original Switch comes with a pack in game then the average consumer is much more likely to buy that version, rather than a revision with slightly improved battery life.

I think that would be ideal if they can get the consumer to buy 2017 Switch to get it off the store shelves. As long as they are buying Switch consoles I doubt Nintendo cares. My feeling is they have to maintain that $100 price diff between OG Switch and Switch Lite. We'll see how they end up handling it I guess.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017

It seems to me that the main purpose of the revision is to push down manufacturing costs. They have this new, smaller Mariko SoC, which they needed for the Lite model, so there's no point in not using it in the regular model as well (the Mariko likely costs quite a bit less per manufactured unit and it definitely costs less to have only one production line running instead of manufacturing the new Marikos and the old 20nm chips at the same time).(*)

Everything else (higher clocks and/or longer battery life OR same battery life with smaller (and cheaper) battery) is just an added bonus, so, yes, this will depend entirely on what Nintendo actually want to do here.

(*) The cost aspect is also what makes me expect them to release the revised regular model around the same time as the Lite model. They will want to have these new cheaper to manufacture units on the shelves for this year's Holiday season.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I missed that... Doesn't make sense, though, unless new Switch is literally 🙌👐🤷🏼‍♀️*nothing*

It's basically just the same old Switch but instead of using a SoC from 2015 it uses the new cheaper and more efficient one that they have to manufacture anyway for the Lite.

This new efficiency means either better battery life, more performance, or a mix thereof, but that's just a side effect. Not the main purpose.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ah, I missed that... Doesn't make sense, though, unless new Switch is literally 🙌👐🤷🏼‍♀️*nothing*
It doesn't sound like Nintendo is going to market it as a new iteration. As the person above mentioned it's probably primarily for cost savings. I'll have to see how the performance is improved before I upgrade, if that's what you can even call it.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Nah, this holiday season will belong to the Switch Lite. New Switch probably officially revealed next E3 for Fall 2020 (or immediate if they pull an Apple) release.

I can guarantee you it's gonna launch before then. The filing has 6 months confidentially so we can expect to see it sometime soon.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
anyone remember the dragon quest limited edition switch that is exclusive to japan? i have one of these ordered and wondering if it will actually be the revised version? I find it weird they have not shown any box art.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Time to sell my Switch....

I don't play the system docked, so the pro controller is kinda pointless for me, but I'm not a fan of a current Joycons.

If the newer models have better controller layouts, I'll probably jump in.
I find the Switch to be nearly pointless docked. They got to come up with something better in that way. I guess they just need better tech to make it doable for me anyway.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Unless they shrink the battery, no way are they not going to market this as a "New" Nintendo Switch. Otherwise people are going to be confused and annoyed why suddenly newer Switch's have better battery life.

I'm still thinking it's a revision like the Xbox One S/New 3DS and we'll get another presentation or trailer dropped on Twitter later this year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they shrink the battery, no way are they not going to market this as a "New" Nintendo Switch. Otherwise people are going to be confused and annoyed why suddenly newer Switch's have better battery life.

I'm still thinking it's a revision like the Xbox One S/New 3DS and we'll get another presentation or trailer dropped on Twitter later this year.

According to the datamining community they are planning to use the same size battery as what's in the Lite. 3570 mAh I believe, so about 20% less than the 4310mAh in the OG.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I think it will be a silent revision.

Basically
- same battery as Lite
- lower thermals
- marginally improved battery life compared to OG Switch (+ 30-60 minutes).

I think the true 'Pro' model will probably only be out late 2020 / early 2021 with significant improvements.

Last edited:

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017

yeah the TX2 is really just a TX1 with a different CPU config and higher clocks on the 16nm process + 128-bit memory controller. i can see why they opted for a custom die shrink of TX1 if they didn't want the Denver cores using up so much space. maybe they went with 12nm too?

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
According to the datamining community they are planning to use the same size battery as what's in the Lite. 3570 mAh I believe, so about 20% less than the 4310mAh in the OG.
If they are doing that, are they expecting to ADD more internal stuff? The original Switch was internally crapped, and I suspect the Lite is too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If they are doing that, are they expecting to ADD more internal stuff? The original Switch was internally crapped, and I suspect the Lite is too.

There's speculation about them adding 32GB more flash memory. Not sure what else they could add even if they had the space, the battery reduction is probably just to save on cost I'd imagine.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
I think it will be a silent revision.

Basically
- same battery as Lite
- lower thermals
- marginally improved battery life compared to OG Switch (+ 30-60 minutes).

I think the true 'Pro' model will probably only be out late 2020 / early 2021 with significant improvements.

it seems that way, but looking at Emilys comments i think there has to be something more than just that.
Maybe there will be more storage and a bigger screen or less bezels around the screen, and games do perform a bit better in both handheld and docked.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
it seems that way, but looking at Emilys comments i think there has to be something more than just that.
Maybe there will be more storage and a bigger screen or less bezels around the screen, and games do perform a bit better in both handheld and docked.
Yep I think a proper revision is definitely on its way. Don't know if it's a major upgrade though, could just be slightly tweaked design, better kickstand, 4K dock, slightly higher clock speeds, more internal storage or something.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Switch will be 3 years old next spring. PS4 pro and Xbox One X came out around that time. They might wait till holiday 2020/early 2021. Perhaps with Zelda.

Nintendo did say they wanted switch to last quite awhile, even the 3DS got the New 3DS 4 years later
Pretty much this. Also, the Switch is a new thing...we can't really try to predict how Nintendo will go into the future with it. If anything, everything is pointing towards a longer lifespam, in the veins of the 3ds

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just said that both batteries would be smaller not the exact same batteries?

I think he would have mentioned that both batteries were exactly the same battery if they were

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
anyone remember the dragon quest limited edition switch that is exclusive to japan? i have one of these ordered and wondering if it will actually be the revised version? I find it weird they have not shown any box art.
That bundle has always been perplexing, but it would be weird if a better OG switch was coming out this year that they wouldn't bundle it with DQ.
Could be waiting to bundle it with LM3 a month later, I guess?

Not sure they'd release an image of a photoshopped switch when they're not selling what's in the image

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019
That bundle has always been perplexing, but it would be weird if a better OG switch was coming out this year that they wouldn't bundle it with DQ.
Could be waiting to bundle it with LM3 a month later, I guess?

Not sure they'd release an image of a photoshopped switch when they're not selling what's in the image
i find it weird they only show part of the switch on the back. when the pokemon Lets go editions were announced they had no problem showing the backplate.