• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Definitely sounds like a Switch S is coming. Rather than a Switch 2 or Switch Pro.

If it ships in white I may have to jump at that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just said that both batteries would be smaller not the exact same batteries?

I think he would have mentioned that both batteries were exactly the same battery if they were

I mean this is what he said:

To me that suggests all T214 units (aka the new and Lite) would ship with the same smaller battery but I guess you're right that he doesn't explicitly say it's the same size. I think that's the implication though.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'm really bummed out that the Lite version has no way to connect to an HDTV.

I get the Handheld nature of the Lite version but would have been nice if it had a HDMI Out

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is what he said:

To me that suggests all T214 units (aka the new and Lite) would ship with the same smaller battery but I guess you're right that he doesn't explicitly say it's the same size. I think that's the implication though.

Think he would say something like t214 units will be using the smaller battery, but he said batteries plural, like they are both smaller but also different sizes

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
As I wrote in the datamine thread, I think we may still have some crossed wires with this whole New Switch situation. Let's start from the facts:

• FCC request for change states that the original Nintendo Switch will change SoC and NAND type, and the main board following these changes. No other changes are expected, and since they are not submitting updates for external photos or user manuals, one can assume that the units will be exactly the same in all other aspects.
  • The datamined OS told us that we can expect two new models with the following differences: new Mariko SoC, new RAM type (and possibly size), different battery size, and upclocked GPU for the new type.
While these two pieces of information may lead to the same conclusions, they are somehow conflicting.
The FCC doesn't mention a change in battery or RAM components while bothering to mention a change in NAND type which sounds minor in comparison.

Now if we take into account rumors, the last report from the WSJ mentioned that production was in progress for THREE models (Lite, original and "enhanced") and our own Emily mentioned that the "new" switch would be launched with at least two new colors and will EVENTUALLY replace the original model.

So there's still the possibility, in my opinion, that the FCC change is for a minor revision of the original model which will continue to be produced and sold for a while as it is (whether the new SoC is the T214 or another minor revision is debatable), while a New model is launched as a premium version, not as much regarding power but a la XL, with increased memory, bigger/better screen, maybe more Ram for more OS features?

Am I imagining things?

Oct 26, 2017
As I wrote in the datamine thread, I think we may still have some crossed wires with this whole New Switch situation. Let's start from the facts:

• FCC request for change states that the original Nintendo Switch will change SoC and NAND type, and the main board following these changes. No other changes are expected, and since they are not submitting updates for external photos or user manuals, one can assume that the units will be exactly the same in all other aspects.
  • The datamined OS told us that we can expect two new models with the following differences: new Mariko SoC, new RAM type (and possibly size), different battery size, and upclocked GPU for the new type.
While these two pieces of information may lead to the same conclusions, they are somehow conflicting.
The FCC doesn't mention a change in battery or RAM components while bothering to mention a change in NAND type which sounds minor in comparison.

Now if we take into account rumors, the last report from the WSJ mentioned that production was in progress for THREE models (Lite, original and "enhanced") and our own Emily mentioned that the "new" switch would be launched with at least two new colors and will EVENTUALLY replace the original model.

So there's still the possibility, in my opinion, that the FCC change is for a minor revision of the original model which will continue to be produced and sold for a while as it is (whether the new SoC is the T214 or another minor revision is debatable), while a New model is launched as a premium version, not as much regarding power but a la XL, with increased memory, bigger/better screen, maybe more Ram for more OS features?

Am I imagining things?

It could be that, or it could be that they don't need to mention the RAM based on whatever this 'theory of operation-differences' document that they mention says. They say the 'CPU board' changed because of:
1: The SoC changed
2: The NAND changed

The interesting thing is the NAND is not on the main CPU board on the original Switch, so perhaps that is the main change worth noting.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
It could be that, or it could be that they don't need to mention the RAM based on whatever this 'theory of operation-differences' document that they mention says. They say the 'CPU board' changed because of:

The interesting thing is the NAND is not on the main CPU board on the original Switch, so perhaps that is the main change worth noting.

In the original Switch, the small circuit board with the NAND chip on it is actually located right on top of the WiFi/Bluetooth chip, so maybe that's why this change is particularly important for the FCC (those tests being about measuring radio frequencies and radiation, after all).

Perhaps the die shrink allows them to get rid of that add-on circuit board and put everything – SoC, RAM, NAND – onto the main circuit board.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
There's speculation about them adding 32GB more flash memory. Not sure what else they could add even if they had the space, the battery reduction is probably just to save on cost I'd imagine.

The thing is, more flash memory would not take up more space, unless they literally put in 2 modules instead of 1 bigger one.

Irc the Memory module is built in in such a way that you can literally plug it out, take one with a larger storage(that would be the same space physically) and just plug it in.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

is the ram NOT on the soc?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
According to the datamining community they are planning to use the same size battery as what's in the Lite. 3570 mAh I believe, so about 20% less than the 4310mAh in the OG.
Aren't the main reason the Switch uses a downclocked profile in handheld mode battery life and heat development? Aren't both of these things in theory solvable by a die shrink, which is more efficient and generates less heat? So... one of the reason (if) we don't get a notable increase in undocked performance is because they might decide to rather cut costs by using a smaller battery? :|

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the main reason the Switch uses a downclocked profile in handheld mode battery life and heat development? Aren't both of these things in theory solvable by a die shrink, which is more efficient and generates less heat? So... one of the reason (if) we don't get a notable increase in undocked performance is because they might decide to rather cut costs by using a smaller battery? :|

Basically, yeah. But datamining seems to indicate the new Switch model will have some higher clocked components, so we're likely getting a bit of an improvement even with the smaller battery.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But we could have bit of improved performance + better battery life if they stuck to the same battery capacity... Nintendo, come on :(

Yeah, but the primary reason they're doing this is to cut costs, not give us a better product. Sadly.

We might still get slightly better battery life on top of the performance boost, but it could have been better (in both areas) if they stuck to the same battery as the OG.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
When do people expect this iteration to go on sale?
Any idea on when we could end up seeing these models?
I take it you don't mean the Switch Lite (September 20). The release of the revision of the Switch is anyone's guess and can range from this year to whenever. Also no one knows yet if they will label it a "new" Switch (like Pro, Advanced or whatever) or phase the old model out and only supply these new Switches in the same box that's on sale since 2017 without fanfare.

Me personally I'll jump on the Switch train with the Lite and not wait up when and if Nintendo will announce something.