• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The "allowing for refunds for Overwatch only" part sounds like hearsay somewhat - would like some more word of mouth for that - but, yeah, it really seems like Nintendo is trying to avoid talking about Overwatch right now. Their twitter account isn't talking about it at all, even as it promotes Fortnite and The Witcher 3, which - considering that this game opened a Nintendo Direct - is fucking wild.

I don't have my Switch on me right now to check, but supposedly the game isn't even appearing on the Switch's news section, either.

EHB87gpX4AENPvn

EDIT: See threadmarks, it's showing up there for non-US people

Boy it sure would be awkward if Tracer was on the fighter pass huh

Last edited:

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Don't blame them. Blizzard has a horrible stench around them lately. Why get yourself tangled up in that mess.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
It seems a bit unlikely Nintendo would want to jeopardize their great relationship with Blizzard over this, especially when they themselves are partnering with Tencent for China...

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
The promotional email I got from Nintendo today was about The Witcher 3; there was nothing about that other big third-party release!

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The latest Nintendo Power podcast promoted Overwatch, but it was probably recorded before the controversy.

(The Nintendo Power podcast kinda sucks tbh, only listened to it to see if they would mention Overwatch and they did)

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo may be backwards on a lot of things, but at least their head is in the proper place for this. Good on them.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The promotional email I got from Nintendo today was about The Witcher 3; there was nothing about that other big third-party release!

Yeah the current Nintendo would have 100% promoted Overwatch release, just as they gave it a headline in the Nintendo Direct. This is them distancing themselves from the mess

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they also delete tweets from their account?
Because... did they really only tweet about Overwatch during the last Direct? That's the only hit I got by using the twitter search...

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
The fighter pass comment is kind of dumb its clear that a couple weeks ago nothing was in talks or even in the works about a overwatch character in smash

So clearly no way tracer could be the last fighers pass character and clearly not any future dlc now

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I looked through the Nintendo Twitter Account to see if they tweeted about Overwatch before the whole thing started and it seemed like they didn't do that before which also seems weird.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
It seems a bit unlikely Nintendo would want to jeopardize their great relationship with Blizzard over this, especially when they themselves are partnering with Tencent for China...
It's not like they're really jeopardizing anything, the game still came out and it's not like they're blocking content or cutting ties.

It's just smart for all parties involved to give Blizzard a little breathing room while the Blitzchung debacle is fresh on everyone's minds.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really love to see an estimate of just how much Blizzard's fuck up has cost them. There's obviously the canceled preorders and subscriptions, but things like this and a ton of other intangibles...

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine that tracer is being finalized a smash character right now and they are questioning wheter to scrap all of that work lol

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I looked through the Nintendo Twitter Account to see if they tweeted about Overwatch before the whole thing started and it seemed like they didn't do that before which also seems weird.
Maybe they deleted the tweets?

It's not like they're really jeopardizing anything, the game still released and it's not like they're blocking anything or cutting ties.

It's just smart for all parties involved to give Blizzard a little breathing room while the Blitzchung debacle is fresh on everyone's minds.
Platform holder promotions for high profile third party games (really, for all games to an extent) are implicit, and right now, Nintendo doesn't seem to be following through on that.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
FYI my switch news section has recent Overwatch release news. EU here.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Good, people only blame one side when the other side is more responsible & that would be Activision. But then again people need to have that same energy when it comes to Ubisoft, Bethesda, and EA. We can't allow companies to get away with anything bad they do. So good on Nintendo.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Literally got multiple Overwatch Switch ads on Twitch today. Guess they have to catch up over there.

OP
OP
Error 52

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, the utter lack of marketing ain't coincidental.

I think Nintendo's basically just hiding behind cover right now, and if everything eventually blows over or Blizzard un-fucks themselves I imagine they'll be happy to promote Diablo 4 or whatever.

Big ass reach - people are thirsty for a story here.
It's really not. The news section stuff and the refund stuff is a little sketchy, but Nintendo's very noticeably dodging promoting the game on press releases or twitter, and that's clearly worth talking about.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're smart to stay distant from the controversy to protect their image.

It's kind of clear with the Direct opening that they wanted to push Overwatch on Switch until this happened.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Would be funny if Tracer was almost ready for release in smash and they did a hasty model swap

"RAYMAN enters the battle!... but he has time powers for some reason"

Status
Not open for further replies.