• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plok64

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda explains this tweet earlier. I thought it was odd how Nintendo named and blamed Blizzard. lol

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
The latest Nintendo Power podcast promoted Overwatch, but it was probably recorded before the controversy.

(The Nintendo Power podcast kinda sucks tbh, only listened to it to see if they would mention Overwatch and they did)

It really is boring isn't it? Here I was hoping that since they San fed the Nintendo Voice Chat guy, he'd be running it.

But this is big. Nintendo hates giving refunds.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo isn't relevant in China so they have nothing to lose, I wish all companies that are irrelevant in China did the same
Nintendo is very much trying to get into China. But wanting to sell to China isn't the same thing as supporting the government's actions in Hong Kong. And Nintendo is just avoiding controversy rather than taking any stance right now.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo bought bus ads for Overwatch Switch in Sydney, Australia so they haven't completely avoided promoting it.

Nintendo right now:

GrandDetailedBilby-size_restricted.gif

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not only is this likely just them trying to distance themselves away Blizz's bad PR but considering how the silence is just coming from the US I wouldn't be too surprised if this was something Blizzard asked Nintendo to do rather than something Nintendo did

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Ads on the news ticker on both my UK and Japanese Switch accounts. Was able to buy it fine on the UK account also.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is this likely just them trying to distance themselves away Blizz's bad PR but considering how the silence is just coming from the US I wouldn't be too surprised if this was something Blizzard asked Nintendo to do rather than something Nintendo did
Nah it wouldn't make sense for Blizzard to not sell their game. It's not like not selling their game would do anything for them

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
I'm guessing it actually was cancelled by Blizzard thoguh because they don't want a shit storm to happen so close to the controversy
I am under the impression that they did not want the voice actor guests to be put in the middle of it, because you know they would be targeted also

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo policy(in the US anyways) is they give you one free mulligan (refund) for eshop purchases and then you're out of luck. This is what I was told when I refunded Secret of Mana some months ago.

data

Oct 25, 2017
I am under the impression that they did not want the voice actor guests to be put in the middle of it, because you know they would be targeted also
But I don't get why though. Would they really go after the voice actors? They definitely won't hold a stance like LeBron and it's not like their position is the same as Blizzards position and being vocal about it.

If they did go after them, that would be pretty shitty fans , but they would've been shitty regardless of whether this controversy happened or not

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Poor Tracer.

She might be the 5th DLC character.

If she is, I don't think we should let the actions of some Blizzard execs and their motives regarding this dilemma tarnish her legacy/reputation. Had they simply done nothing when Blitzchung made his statement, none of this controversy would be happening right now.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Nah - people are just trying to convince themselves that Nintendo had some big as promotion plan for thé Overwatch release.

TW3 was always the more important release and Luigi's Mansion 3 is releasing soon.

Makes sense that they don't want promote Blizzard content right now...but I don't think they had alot planned anyway.
There is literally zero promotion and you can't even buy the game right now. I tried 5 minutes ago. Maybe the situation will change but that is highly unusual for such a huge AAA release.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do n it want to disrupt the narrative you all are working so hard on, but I just went to the switch store on my phone and Overwatch Legendary is the first thing that shows
Read the OP. There is no narrative but that Nintendo is not advertising Overwatch on US News section or on Twitter. Yes, it is in the eShop. We know that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I just checked on YouTube, neither Nintendo nor Microsoft reuploaded the Overwatch Halloween event video. They also didn't reupload a recent video for Crash Team Racing.

Of the Big 3, Sony is the only one to upload anything Activision Blizzard related in the last few days.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

Up in NA, down in EU. Apparently.
Y'all reachin' with all of the Switch Overwatch stuff so damn hard. The one thing I'd give you would be the cancelling of the event, which honestly makes total sense because it would have been a shitty time for the Blizzard staf/Nintendo staff in store, who most likely do not agree with what has happened and most certainly had no say in how it played out, but would get endless abuse from people all the same.
I accessed the US Eshop recently, and it is being promoted on the first page, the biggest ad.
fwiw it's the top ad on the eshop website right now
It's the top ad on the actual normal Nintendo site too, but let them have their fun.
When you try to buy it (US):

HyFrv2b.png

Don't recall ever encountering this before. I purchased Tales of Vesperia just a few hours ago.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I just checked on YouTube, neither Nintendo nor Microsoft reuploaded the Overwatch Halloween event video. They also didn't reupload a recent video for Crash Team Racing.

Of the Big 3, Sony is the only one to upload anything Activision Blizzard related in the last few days.
Interesting.
What was Sony's upload? COD?

DarkJ

Nov 11, 2017
A Japanese company not wanting to be involved in Chinese propaganda isn't too surprising.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
But I don't get why though. Would they really go after the voice actors? They definitely won't hold a stance like LeBron and it's not like their position is the same as Blizzards position and being vocal about it.

If they did go after them, that would be pretty shitty fans , but they would've been shitty regardless of whether this controversy happened or not
It would not be fans, and honestly it would not be protesters acting in good faith. The ones that they have to worry about are the ones using this to get meme footage and try to create "moments" to spread all over the internet.

Aug 12, 2019
People are really trying to make this to be a bigger situation than it is. Blizzard probably knows that their name is toxic right now and doesn't want to do too much to stain Overwatch on Switch, and Nintendo knows better than to wade into this mess as they'll lose for making any sort of commentary on the matter. If people think for a second that Nintendo, the company desperately trying to get a strong foothold in China, is going to even consider pulling the game in "protest" or even as just a reaction to recent events, you're kidding yourself.

Hell, Nintendo is one of the companies I consider the most likely to pull a similar stunt, just not such a publicly stupid one like Blizzard (I.E. Implicit support of China's government via the choice to keep commentary as far removed from Honk Kong and politics in general).

Status
Not open for further replies.