• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't 100% related to the HK issue and indeed Nintendo decided to pull the plug after refunding a ton of people because the game runs like absolute ass.
I really doubt that. That's opposite what I have been hearing. Even if it really did run horribly, don't you think they would have pulled the plug long ago instead of having it be the first thing in a Nintendo Direct? I mean they still sell ARK: Survival Evolved on Switch, and that looks AND runs like ass.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
When you try to buy it (US):

HyFrv2b.png

Don't recall ever encountering this before. I purchased Tales of Vesperia just a few hours ago.

wouldn't be surprised if 9001-1630 was secret code for "fuck Blizzard, liberate Hong Kong" or some shit

like, is it a coincidence that one country, two systems was supposed to last at least until 2047, and 9001 - 1630 = 7371? dunno, the combination of mathematics, geopolitics, and Nintendology required to make sense of all this is beyond me

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
wouldn't be surprised if 9001-1630 was secret code for "fuck Blizzard, liberate Hong Kong" or some shit

like, is it a coincidence that one country, two systems was supposed to last at least until 2047, and 9001 - 1630 = 7371? dunno, the combination of mathematics, geopolitics, and Nintendology required to make sense of all this is beyond me
Again, did you just skip the reality that Nintendo and Tencent are in bed together? And I do not mean sitting on opposite sides with the door cracked so the parents can make sure that there is no making out. We are talking 50 Shades of Red.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
snip- wrong code, ignore

What is pretty strange is that the error code isn't listed, that I can see at least, on Nintendos site.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018

I guess Breath of Fire is some Chinese commie conspiracy thing also?

Last edited:

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really doubt this was done because Nintendo has a pro-Hong Kong stance or anything like that. Nintendo is extremely adverse to controversy of any sort.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Again, did you just skip the reality that Nintendo and Tencent are in bed together? And I do not mean sitting on opposite sides with the door cracked so the parents can make sure that there is no making out. We are talking 50 Shades of Red.
Nintendo partnering with Tencent in no way means they approve of the actions of the Chinese government, and avoiding PR Fallout with Blizzard does not mean they are showing solidarity with Hong Kong. Business decisions are business decisions.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

I want to know what you snorted before writing this post up.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good job. You figured out pretty much every company in this industry works with China

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018

okay, time to close the thread

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the reason is, still a good move by Nintendo

Oh wow you went there huh

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lol what

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this as taking a stance so much as Nintendo marketing being smart to distance themselves right now. Regardless, Blizzard will likely still see sales consequences if Nintendo avoids marketing the game. The lack of a launch trailer is a sign of the distance and won't help move copies; I just had to google when the release date was. I'm curious for how long Blizzard will be toxic for companies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt this was done because Nintendo has a pro-Hong Kong stance or anything like that. Nintendo is extremely adverse to controversy of any sort.

Me neither. This doesn't seem to be Nintendo's doing, it looks like all Blizzard. They're trying to lay low until this scandal goes away.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, for what it's worth I just got back with the "physical" copy and it's installing just fine.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't 100% related to the HK issue and indeed Nintendo decided to pull the plug after refunding a ton of people because the game runs like absolute ass.

Edit: accesing the Nintendo Spain website's product page, you get a message that "the content is no longer on Nintendo eShop"

Edit 2: going to the eShop inside the console, it also says on the Legendary edition that "it's not on sale"

rofl talk about over exaggeration. How does it run like 'absolute ass.'

Also, the game is being advertised on my news feed. US shop.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the utter lack of marketing ain't coincidental.

I think Nintendo's basically just hiding behind cover right now, and if everything eventually blows over or Blizzard un-fucks themselves I imagine they'll be happy to promote Diablo 4 or whatever.

It's really not. The news section stuff and the refund stuff is a little sketchy, but Nintendo's very noticeably dodging promoting the game on press releases or twitter, and that's clearly worth talking about.
Not really, this whole thing seems like a reach and people wanting something to be true that's not necessarily true.

Oublieux

Oct 27, 2017
that happens to me on pc too, i thought that's just how overwatch is, its always been funny when the game shows a highlight and the models only show up on the last second

This only happens on PC when it can't load the assets fast enough--your limiting factor may be your hard drive if it's a traditional mechanical one.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Dude, Blizzard's scandal has more legs than MHW lol

Still, I don't think that Nintendo is "Against" or something like that, but rather, they are keeping their distance of any drama as much as possible, as usual.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why is there this weird "they are in bed!" fear mongering going around? Nintendo is still a Japanese company and by all accounts have their differences with China enough that if shit needed to be said they would, despite relations apparently "getting better" due to trade war shenanigans. Nintendo is not gonna pick fights, that's their motto, but they won't walk into them either blindly.

Aug 12, 2019

Edit: accesing the Nintendo Spain website's product page, you get a message that "the content is no longer on Nintendo eShop"

Edit 2: going to the eShop inside the console, it also says on the Legendary edition that "it's not on sale"

A port that was promised to be 30 FPS runs at a most consistently 30 FPS and has connection based upon what you would expect most people running over WiFi to be...

It's hardly a game that "runs like ass."

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A port that was promised to be 30 FPS runs at a most consistently 30 FPS and has connection based upon what you would expect most people running over WiFi to be...

It's hardly a game that "runs like ass."
I watched Harb play several rounds last night. It runs like ass. On replays character models were standing still like rag dolls, players werent even appearing, and 30fps on top of it all.

Aug 12, 2019
I watched Harb play several rounds last night. It runs like ass. On replays character models were standing still like rag dolls, players werent even appearing, and 30fps on top of it all.

Are replays really what you're concerned about? Everything else I've heard about the game has been "a really solid 30 FPS with rare dips and issues, and not particularly bad issues with lag." I've heard the replays mentioned a couple of times... but like really? That's not "runs like ass" for an entire port.

The Last Laugh

Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Why is there this weird "they are in bed!" fear mongering going around? Nintendo is still a Japanese company and by all accounts have their differences with China enough that if shit needed to be said they would, despite relations apparently "getting better" due to trade war shenanigans. Nintendo is not gonna pick fights, that's their motto, but they won't walk into them either blindly.

Allow me to tell a tale, if I may...
https://www.themarysue.com/nintendo-bans-trans-flag-super-smash-bros-ultimate/

But Blizzard. And I am not saying Nintendo is the devil, I am saying companies make stupid mistakes all the time and have to learn from them.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are replays really what you're concerned about? Everything else I've heard about the game has been "a really solid 30 FPS with rare dips and issues, and not particularly bad issues with lag." I've heard the replays mentioned a couple of times... but like really? That's not "runs like ass" for an entire port.
30fps is enough to say runs like ass for a competitive shooter in 2019 alone tho.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo shuttering the event and pulling back on some promotional stuff makes sense if you want to avoid controversy.

The rest is yall running wild witg rampant speculation. Nintendo will never be a hero for Hong Kong.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Why is Nintendo being applauded for acting out of self-interest? They're just keeping their head down to avoid the shitstorm.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I didn't get a News item, but Overwatch is still the first game listed on the Switch eShop's "Featured" page.

Keeping the launch quiet is a good move (II'd expect that Nintendo would be promoting the game more if Blizzard hadn't come out against democracy), but I'm not quite ready to call Nintendo heroes, here. I reckon self-interest plays a big part, unfortunately.

Related, fuck Blizzard completely. And also fuck every single one of these companies that has chosen to bow to tyranny rather than lose some fucking money.

Nov 23, 2017

This takes the award for most Era bubble post ever.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo shuttering the event and pulling back on some promotional stuff makes sense if you want to avoid controversy.

The rest is yall running wild witg rampant speculation. Nintendo will never be a hero for Hong Kong.
I doubt this is ultimately for Hong Kong, but I wouldn't be surprised if the feelings at Nintendo HQ on the issue of China were mixed. On the one hand they absolutely do want to break into the chinese market, but on the other hand Japan and China have never really been on friendly terms and there's a lot of tension between the two countries even now so I could see supporting Hong Kong being popular there because it gives a sense a moral superiority while also would be an issue that lowers the status of their biggest rival in the region. Ultimately this probably has nothing to do with the decision here though

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not promoting it heavily to avoid getting caught in the shit storm around it, I can get.

Saying Nintendo is taking a stance though, not too sure about that. Nintendo does have business in China and it's probably a safe assumption to say that they most probably have some government-oriented shareholders from there as well. They just playing the ghost card I think.

Never assume that any mega corp is taking a stance under such weak presumptions, think that once they're being put at a similar place as Blizzard. If they don't try to limit aimed 'political' speech and don't penalize a player during, say, a Smash tourney winner that shouts something around the lines of ''Free Hong Kong'' , then come back to me with that claim. It will hold more ground.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019
30fps is enough to say runs like ass for a competitive shooter in 2019 alone tho.

Everyone else is playing at 30 FPS on Switch, so it's an even playing field. It's not going to be used in the main Overwatch tournaments any time soon, but it doesn't run poorly. It runs as intended for those who aren't ridiculous about our standards for a portable shooter that we just want to have fun with. 30 FPS works perfectly fine for a lot of people. You're free to prefer 60 FPS, but Overwatch Switch runs as intended and in a perfectly playable state for many people.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not promoting it heavily to avoid getting caught in the shit storm around it, I can get.

Saying Nintendo is taking a stance though, not too sure about that. Nintendo does have business in China and it's probably a safe assumption to say that they most probably have some government-oriented shareholders from there as well. They just playing the ghost card I think.

Never assume that any mega corp is taking a stance under such weak presumptions, think that once they're being put at a similar place as Blizzard. If they don't try to limit aimed 'political' speach and don't penalize a player during, say, a Smash tourney winner that shouts something around the lines of ''Free Hong Kong'' , then come back to me with that claim. It will hold more ground.
It's probably a complicated situation because while they obviously want the money in the chinese market, I definitely wouldn't be surprised if some of the major shareholders were also vehemently anti-china on a more general level because Japan and China have animosity towards each other that's literally centuries old and continues to this day where they still have a shitload of disputes with China due to their proximity. I think this decision was done quietly because they don't want to upset their chinese business partners, and might not have happened if they couldn't use the excuse of the game also running like shit, but is probably at least somewhat related to the scandals over the hong kong stuff as well

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo playing the long game, they know being nice to communism makes horrible business sense in the long run

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much is Nintendo expected to help market 3rd party ports of older games? It doesn't seem like they really rolled out the red carpet for stuff like Doom or Wolfenstein. I think they should probably be doing more, given the somewhat anemic support for their online service.

If they aren't tweeting about it, I imagine it's because they don't want to have to moderate and deal with all the reply tweets.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Let's be real at least, Nintendo isn't doing this because it's the "right" thing to do, as much as they don't want to be seen promoting Blizzard with everything that's going on. It's purely for business and PR reasons.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't buy that this was entirely to steer clear of the controversy, if only because I don't thinking putting the game on their store as planned would've done anything to drag them into the controversy in the first place. Again this isn't saying they're doing it for the right reasons either, but I haven't heard of anyone getting pissed at any other platform holder that continues to sell OW or other Blizzard games and I see no reason why it'd extend to Nintendo. Canceling the live event sure, but everything beyond that feels like it'd do nothing for Nintendo one way or the other. If anything, they're doing it hoping they can get good press by being on the "right side" of this controversy (while not issuing a direct statement and having the option to give other excuses if their Chinese partners ask like how poorly the game performs), not actively dodging it all together

Status
Not open for further replies.