• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Heroes of Hyrule video report receives copyright strike from Nintendo

Nintendo has wielded its heavy hand once more, this time on popular YouTube channel Did You Know Gaming. The channel, w…

The channel, which frequently reports on trivia from a specific game or franchise, has been issued a takedown notice from Nintendo. This takedown pertains specifically to Did You Know Gaming's video on Heroes of Hyrule - a Zelda game for the Nintendo DS akin to Final Fantasy Tactics, that was pitched to Nintendo by Retro Studios.

In response to this notice, Did You Know Gaming stated it considers this move by Nintendo a "slap in the face for video game history preservation".

"This was a journalistic video documenting a game that Retro Studios pitched to Nintendo nearly 20 years ago," the team wrote.

Nintendo, what are you doing?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Thank god they're protecting the privacy of this unmade game
  2. If they're doing this, then Heroes of Hyrule is actually being made!

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Nintendo is the most litigious gaming company I've ever seen, followed at some distance by take 2 / rockstar.

Vermcloud

Nov 13, 2020
Is there an even remote chance that Nintendo issued the takedown because Heroes of Hyrule is actively being developed by Retro?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I mean, I am all for still reporting those takedown and every BS Nintendo is doing.
But stop pretending to be shock.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo treating fans and folk trying to preserve game history like shit? Well looks like it must be a day that ends in Y.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Fuck them.

Once again, the gigantic leak of old beta stuff that leaked few years ago is the most interesting thing that came out from this company since BOTW.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Fuck Nintendo tbh. Even if by some weird coincidence they're developing this game.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, I am all for still reporting those takedown and every BS Nintendo is doing.
But stop pretending to be shock.

To be honest, I am a little surprised. I don't follow Nintendo closely, I know they protect music and emulation harshly.

Taking down a video of some people talking about a cancelled 20 year old project seems crazy.
I mean what's next, they'll start taking down podcasts talking about it?

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
they really crossing the lines no one else crosses.

what is even the point of doing this with a cancelled/dead project? they're losing more time.

they really went back to hyper arrogance so quickly.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't deserve the dedication and passion of its fans. The games, yes. The company, no.

Oct 25, 2017
But why though? It'd be one thing if it was a leak of an upcoming project, but a cancelled game? Fuck outta here Ninty.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Well, no ideia how those things work in case of a game that never even started development like that, but maybe some NDA got broken there.

Still, cat is already out of the bag, why bother with this now? Even if by some remote chance the game is actually being made, I don't see how this would affect it, if anything, it's bringing more attention to it.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
To be honest, I am a little surprised. I don't follow Nintendo closely, I know they protect music and emulation harshly.

Taking down a video of some people talking about a cancelled 20 year old project seems crazy.
I mean what's next, they'll start taking down podcasts talking about it?
If it was easy, of course they would.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it had copyrighted never released content. Odds aren't great they'll ever let that fly if they hear about it.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I think I should get a brand new switch and for my portable console collection. Then I see stuff like this all the time and realize that I'd be supporting this completely shit company.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo brings us joy, so that its savage cutthroat lawyers can find creative ways to take it away

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. Almost as if they don't want anyone knowing about the game as if they're probably making it?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
So was it Nintendo or one of those IP protection companies that got overzealous on their behalf? Not that it would shock me that it's Nintendo, but this happens so often from those firms and not the companies themselves.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
I don't necessarily agree with Nintendo taking down the video. Especially since this isn't exactly revelatory.

Does DYKG still steal their footage though? By their, I mean smaller youtubers.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know this was a thing and now I wanna watch it lol

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
they really went back to hyper arrogance so quickly.

Even during their lowest period, the Wii U era, they were doing stuff like this, like issuing take down of videos with content from the official Mario themed Minecraft expansion.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Minecraft videos based on Super Mario DLC hit with copyright claims

Nintendo has been filing copyright claims against YouTubers again - this time, though, it's over videos created from th…

See this old article about it too.

www.usgamer.net

If Nintendo Wants More Young Fans, It Needs to Embrace YouTube

Video games have changed a lot across the past twenty years, but not nearly as much as the way we access game news and info. The days of sneaking into the lo...

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I would love for some shareholder (who they can't ignore) would ask they why they do this. This kind of stuff is harmless.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
To likely get blasted and set a really ugly precedent going forward? Yeah nobody wants to fight things like this in court.

Big companies get taken to court all the time. I don't know if image conscious Nintendo would want a long drawn out court case but I would love to see it. They are objectively too heavy handed.

Jul 7, 2021
Remember the Super NES Mini? Well, there was an official companion book which contained unused content of Super Mario World, stuff that was published on TCRF.

They're against emulators too, but if it wasn't for the strides made in emulation, Virtual Console wouldn't even been a thing - maybe even the whole retro rivival even, since it popularized it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would love for some shareholder (who they can't ignore) would ask they why they do this. This kind of stuff is harmless.
Hell will freeze over long before any corporate leader on Earth would ever agree that leaked internal documentation is harmless.