• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I know when this was announced, a lot of people were throwing around that you're paying $70 to $80 for cardboard. Well now we have the actual replacement costs direct from Nintendo.

labo-toy-con-02-robot-knobs-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Knobs - $5.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-body-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Main Body - $13.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-slider-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Slider - $9.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-straps-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Straps - $5.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-visor-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Visor, Feet, Joy-Con Holder - $5.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-weights-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Weights - $7.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-accessory-set-all_160x120.png

Robot Kit Accessory Pack - $9.99

labo-toy-con-02-robot-accessory-set-stickers-logo_160x120.png

Robot Kit Reflective Sticker Sheet - $1.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-fish-all_160x120.png

Fishing Rod - $8.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-house-all_160x120.png

House - $5.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-motorbike-all_160x120.png

Motorbike - $11.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-piano-all_160x120.png

Piano - $11.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-rcnio-all_160x120.png

RC Car + Discover - $2.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-accessory-set-all_160x120.png

Variety Kit Accessory Pack - $9.99

labo-toy-con-01-variety-accessory-set-stickers-logo_160x120.png

Variety Kit Reflective Sticker Sheet Set - $2.99

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat960195

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
BUT

you can print the parts of the free pdf and transfer it ..... TO THE BOX THAT COMES WITH THE GAME

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
This is probably the best money making thing Nintendo has come up with since the Amiibo, especially if this catches on.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a better deal

I will sell you a 5x5 foot cardboard for 2 dolla

make all the nintendo you want kiddos

npclivesmatter

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Apr 18, 2018
User warned: trolling, inflammatory console war rhetoric
they should have been plastic pieces like legos. larger than legos obviously. card board. yeah I mean obviously its a nintendo product so it will sell a lot to a lot of neckbeards.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
ssssssssst that's still pretty pricy tbh. Especially the total costs for the robot kit, holy shit. I wonder when we'll see diy instructionals

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Robot, all replacement parts: 61.92$
Variety, all replacement parts: 54.93$

BUT

you can print the parts of the free pdf and transfer it ..... TO THE BOX THAT COMES WITH THE GAME

Yeah sure but...
1. Do you have cardboard large enough?
2. Is it unfolded?
3. Is it big enough?
4. Do you have a printer that is able to print on cardboard?
5. Do you have a machine to "pre-cut" the pieces?

Most people will NOT be willing to go the trouble to print it themselves.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah sure but...
2. Is it unfolded?
3. Is it big enough?

Trace it onto a carboard box and cut it out...

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah sure but...
2. Is it unfolded?
3. Is it big enough?

I don't think it has to be 1:1 in terms of sizing

You can cut something in the shape of what you want with a plain old cardboard.

The machine you need is scissors! As for unfolded, they sell cardboard like that. Or just cut up a box. With Scissors!

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah sure but...
2. Is it unfolded?
3. Is it big enough?

even Nintendo said you should keep the cardboard cutouts so you can just trace it to a piece of cardboard if you destroyed something

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused what stops knock offs?

Nothing. I don't think they care. It means people will be buying Switches. But can you imagine if Nintendo didn't sell replacements and you mistakenly crushed a part of the robot kit? Better to have official replacements available than not. But they encourage you making your own stuff.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
they should have been plastic pieces like legos. larger than legos obviously. card board. yeah I mean obviously its a nintendo product so it will sell a lot to a lot of neckbeards.

Plastic pieces would destroy the point of the concept, they want kids to build them, play with them, and then customise them with pens, pencils, paint and PVA glue, like any other arts and crafts projects you do at that age.

Which is why, if you think most of the sales will come from "neckbeards", you completely misunderstand the demographic that Nintendo is aiming for with this. There's a reason why Nintendo avoided sending review copies to traditional gaming outlets and focused on mainstream newspapers instead. This is aimed squarely at parents and their kids, and potentially schools and other organisations (the well funded ones, at least.)

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The point is that there are multiple options. You can use the free PDFs to trace your own parts or whatever and use your own cardboard or illustration board, etc. Or you can simply buy a replacement kit if you're not into the kind of hassle of tracing and cutting your own replacement parts. The replacement kits also serve the extra purpose allowing you to make an extra kit so you could have 2 houses or two pianos.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
My head is going to explode if this becomes successful. I understand some interest now, but I can't see it in the long run.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's expensive but not totally unreasonable given the free alternative and the inevitable 3rd party clones. They should sell a duplicate bundle with everything but the game so you can make 2 of everything easily

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah sure but...
2. Is it unfolded?
3. Is it big enough?

you can do it via a local copyshop. anyways its obviously more hassle

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My head is going to explode if this becomes successful. I understand some interest now, but I can't see it in the long run.
define success. will they make their invest ment back? absolutely.
will this be wii sports level? no way.
will this reach mario odyssey level of sales? not likely
will this reach splatoon level of sales? could be, if nintendo markets it right
will this sell similar to arms? i think thats most likely
will this fail to reach metroid prime federation force numbers? no way

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plastic pieces would destroy the point of the concept, they want kids to build them, play with them, and then customise them with pens, pencils, paint and PVA glue, like any other arts and crafts projects you do at that age.

Which is why, if you think most of the sales will come from "neckbeards", you completely misunderstand the demographic that Nintendo is aiming for with this. There's a reason why Nintendo avoided sending review copies to traditional gaming outlets and focused on mainstream newspapers instead. This is aimed squarely at parents and their kids, and potentially schools and other organisations (the well funded ones, at least.)
yeah but you can be sure that there will be people offering plastic variants of the labo kits. this is a gold mine for third party accessory sellers.

Oct 27, 2017
I just built the robot...4 hours.

Go ahead and trace all the parts if you want, on all different sizes of cardboard like what was included in the kit. Then trace all the individual tabs and cutouts, score the popout sections and folding lines, mark the places where the inked sections are so that when you join pieces later they will align correctly, go get some string, straps, reflective tape that will actually work with the sensor, and grommets, go get a few smaller pizza or pastry boxes and cut and score them so you can make some paperweights that are needed for the robot, and make sure when you do all this yourself you're not off by more than a couple of millimeters for the pieces of the main backpack.

Then also spend the 4 hours assembling and fitting the backpack.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
define success. will they make their invest ment back? absolutely.
will this be wii sports level? no way.
will this reach mario odyssey level of sales? not likely
will this reach splatoon level of sales? could be, if nintendo markets it right
will this sell similar to arms? i think thats most likely
will this fail to reach metroid prime federation force numbers? no way
It can reach those successes if Nintendo plans to go the long haul, which I imagine they will because this is the sort of product you need to have a long term business plan for. This is the type of thing that's not going to sell in the same way games typically are.

Also:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-19-nintendo-labo-belongs-in-the-classroom

Nintendo UK says it has been approached by several schools about getting Labo in front of their pupils. Yet this isn't billed as an education product. Not yet. For that to happen, Nintendo will need to look at discounts for educational institutions, and have teacher support and training set-up. It is not a case of just sticking Labo and Switch into schools. There's an entire business and department built around the education edition of Minecraft. Nintendo would likely have to consider a similar approach.

Schools have already started approaching Nintendo, which I imagine this is something Nintendo wants as they always seemed like they wanted to get their foot in that door.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that a company like HORI will use a 3d Printer to make these devices and sell you a plastic version?

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that a company like HORI will use a 3d Printer to make these devices and sell you a plastic version?
What will be even better is if HORI is smart they'll sell cardboard pieces at a cheaper price than Nintendo.

It's an endless universe of money making cardboard opportunites that is only limited by a corporate imagination.

Oct 25, 2017
People will be building deluxe versions of the cardboard mk.1s, which was Nintendo's plan all along. It's a crafting project, and some people possess greater stores of crafting materials and know-how. That's the name of the game, and you'll see some masterwork Labo toy-cons in no time. Real deal pianos, fishing rods, etc.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't own or have ever used one, but I imagine you could come up with some awesome and impressive shit with a 3D printer and Labo.

ZabelRock

Oct 27, 2017
It would be pretty cool if you could just buy the kit you want from the nintendo online store and download/buy the required software on the eshop because im only intrested in the fishing rod and keyboard.