• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R.I.P. the doomsayers :
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3114...met-expectations-and-will-continue-to-be-supp

So it's absolutely met our expectations, and to put this in perspective, we see Nintendo Labo as a title and a platform that will sell for extended periods of time, much like we experienced with Brain Age on the DS or Wii Fit on the original Wii. And so for us, what we need to make sure we do is continue to drive engagement with parents and their kids. There's a lot of activity happening this summer as parents are looking for experiences for their kids while they're out of school. Here in the Americas, we have activity going on in the fall in the educational market, showing how Labo can be used for an entry into coding, as well as the maker community and the creation of the Labo toy-cons themselves. And so it is going to be a key product for us, and something that we're going to continue to support, not only through the balance of this year, but well into the future.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
But I was told by ERA that it flopped!

Interesting that they're going to start pushing it more in fall.

Which is pretty much exactly what a lot of us have been saying.

Oct 26, 2017
The comparison to WiiFit is baffling, Labo's opening month numbers are a tiny fraction of WiiFit's numbers.

WiiFit and Brain Age also sold 25m units whereas Labo is at around 1m right now.

We'll see if Labo does anything in the holidays, if not, then the game shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Brain Age and WiiFit.

Other than "Labo was infinitely less successful than WiiFit and Brain Age" of course.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The comparison to WiiFit is baffling, Labo's opening month numbers are a tiny fraction of WiiFit's numbers.

WiiFit and Brain Age also sold 25m units whereas Labo is at around 1m right now.

We'll see if Labo does anything in the holidays, if not, then the game did nothing compared to Brain Age and WiiFit.
Brain Age sold nothing for weeks before exploding months after its release.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
man, future EPD staff will probably have grown up with LABO, maybe that'll have gotten them into coding

crazy

Apr 21, 2018
Well it met expectations sure, it probably shipped a million worldwide between the two sets.

Doesn't seem like it exceeded the expectations. And based on the January Direct and my own thoughts, yes I thought it'd do better. I was also gung-ho on buying both, but my excitement seemed to fizzle upon release.

It's an interesting thing to look at because it's very different than traditional front-loaded video games, and I think most of us here see the value in building the things as entertainment.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
There you go, it ranked pretty high in NPD and Nintendo's saying it's doing well.
Hopefully that will stop the Labo doom and gloom.

Honestly I can see it doing pretty well this holidays, depending on how Nintendo will do its marketing for that period.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo France basically reiterated the same notion; market curves work differently for "toy" products rather than video games.

Much of Era has been viewing the "success" of Labo through the vacuum of the latter. The holidays will be more interesting to monitor.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mjgrin.png
They should eventually release the Toy-Con garage on the eShop, shit would do wonders.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least we have a bar for expectations. They expect it to have brain age and Wii fit legs. Should be interesting!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. We get to see people still get offended by Labo's existence for years to come.

I'm actually interested to see what else they come up with for Labo kits.

Oct 25, 2017
You're telling me they expected it to sell like a non-gaming item and it sold like a non-gaming item and it met their expectations?

You don't say.

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo France basically reiterated the same notion; market curves work differently for "toy" products rather than video games.

Much of Era has been viewing the "success" of Labo through the vacuum of the latter. The holidays will be more interesting to monitor.

If it fails in the holidays, I 100% expect goalpost moving from Reggie and from people defending Labo.

So let's hope there is no goal post moving.

If Labo does huge numbers (let's say 3m) in the Holidays, then I'm wrong. If Labo does less than 500k or something in the Holidays, then you and Nintendo are wrong.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Here in the Americas, we have activity going on in the fall in the educational market, showing how Labo can be used for an entry into coding, as well as the maker community and the creation of the Labo toy-cons themselves.
It should be interesting to see what comes out of that in a few months, if anything.
They should do a third one for Q4.
I wouldn't be surprised to see two more kits in stores by November.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah this was pretty obvious given how it did in the us and japan though the robot kit seemed to have flopped

we'll see how it does during the holiday season

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was a huge believer back when it was announced but they really haven't marketed this at all since release.

Maybe that's part of the plan, and marketing will ramp up in the holiday season, but I don't see this doing all that well around then if they just try to let it sell by word of mouth alone.

Oct 27, 2017
Well there it is, straight from the horse's mouth. Anyone who understood Labo as a product knew Nintendo is viewing this differently from a traditional game release. Anyway, keep an eye on Labo this holiday, it's probably going to be Nintendo's secret weapon for this year.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We'll see if Labo does anything in the holidays, if not, then the game shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Brain Age and WiiFit.

Other than "Labo was infinitely less successful than WiiFit and Brain Age" of course.

When one man's prophecy refuses to self-fulfill.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it fails in the holidays, I 100% expect goalpost moving from Reggie and from people defending Labo.

So let's hope there is no goal post moving.

If Labo does huge numbers (let's say 3m) in the Holidays, then I'm wrong. If Labo does less than 500k or something in the Holidays, then you and Nintendo are wrong.
I don't know why you're trying to hold me against some kind of esoteric quantifiable six digit number since I didn't even make a prediction. I said the simple fact that toys can be expected to curve in different ways compared to video games and Nintendo would be cognisant of it when making the Labo. Whether or not it ends up selling three million rather than two is of no concern to me.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
"And so for us,"

Knew it was Reggie speaking the moment I read that. Another hint is when a sentence begins with, "Look,".

Anyways, I won't lie. I didn't expect to see as many Labo kits sitting on store shelves as I currently do. I'm also not as confident as I once was in its ability to sell even during the holiday season. But if Nintendo is happy with it and expects big things from it, awesome!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm not really seeing the comparisons to Wii Fit or Brain Age at all, but I guess only time will tell.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Variety Kit was #4 on NPD which was pretty awesome, expecting it to do pretty well this holiday.

But, people were actually expecting Wii Fit numbers? Huh.

Edit: Oh Reggie made that comparison, okay then.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not really seeing the comparisons to Wii Fit or Brain Age at all, but I guess only time will tell.

The comparison by Reggie is obvious since he's saying that those two titles did those numbers in a different period of time, not in just a few months and that Labo is a product which can do the same in selling for a long period of time