• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
So, I was reading some impressions on the new Nintendo Labo, mostly by mainstreams outlets, and to no surprise (because the whole concept is actually brillant) all of them've being crazy good.

Update:

The Verge
Nintendo is making a bunch of weird DIY cardboard toys for the Switch and they'reawesome

Today, the company revealed a new initiative dubbed Nintendo Labo, which involves DIY cardboard accessories that can transform the Switch's Joy-Con controllers into everything from a fishing rod to a piano to a full-on robot suit. These accessories are then used to control a variety of mini-games, essentially turning the Switch tablet into a tiny arcade. The goal of Labo is to get kids involved in playing games on the Switch in a more hands-on, tactile way.

It's the kind of experience that seems like it could only come from Nintendo: clever, charming, and completely unexpected. "Labo is unlike anything we've done before," says Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé. It could just be the thing to keep the Switch's momentum going in its second year — but more importantly, it's a whole lot of fun".

Full:https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/...-diy-accessories-announced-price-release-date

TIME
Nintendo's Newest Products Are Switch Accessories You Can Build Yourself

Ever since Nintendo unveiled the Switchabout one year ago, one message was immediately clear: The ability to interact with the console in a variety of different ways — docked to a TV, held in your hands, or propped up on a table — was going to be the device's distinguishing characteristic.
(...)
Nintendo Labo works in conjunction with an app that walks players through assembling a Toy-Con. The app also includes games specifically designed for the Toy-Cons, as well as interactive graphics explaining how these cardboard-crafted accessories function. As such, the accompanying app is divided into three appropriately named sections: Make, Play, and Discover.

The Make category's video tutorials are as delightful as they are helpful, which I learned while assembling the RC car and fishing rod Toy-Cons. The walkthroughs are detailed enough to accommodate players of any age or skill level; users have the option to fast forward through certain steps to speed up the process. The videos are filled with flourishes that make them amusing to watch, such as a zipper-like noise that sounds while the tutorial reminds players to fold the cardboard along the defined creases.

Most interestingly, the Labo kits work with the Joy-Cons' built-in sensors to function. A player can, for example, actually drive the Labo's RC car around a table or desk by pressing buttons on the Switch tablet's touchscreen. When the Joy-Cons are inserted into the RC Car, their HD rumble sensors get the cardboard vehicle to move around.

The fishing rod Toy-Con takes advantage of the Joy-Cons' motion and HD rumble sensors in a similar way. After constructing the rod, which even includes a rotating wheel, players insert the Joy-Con into the fishing pole's reel. The Toy-Con then syncs up with a fishing game on the Switch. To win, players must deploy their line and then quickly yank it up and crank the handle to reel in fish. A small vibration indicates that a fish is biting.
(...)
When asked whether or not Nintendo plans to allow third-party partners to create Labo kits, Fils-Aime had a similar viewpoint. "While there's nothing to announce today, certainly if we're successful with Labo, it can create future opportunities," he said.

Nintendo Labo is also evidence that Nintendo is thinking about the Switch as a general entertainment device rather than a traditional game console.

Full: http://time.com/5106363/nintendo-switch-labo-toy-cons/

Wired
"NINTENDO'S NEWEST SWITCH ACCESSORIES ARE FUN CARDBOARD TOYS

Suffice to say the Nintendo Switch is a hit beyond what anyone could have expected. The versatile, modular console sold more than 10 million units in its first 10 months, and became the fastest-selling console in US history. That's all the more impressive given Switches were nearly impossible to find in the console's early months, as Nintendo (like everyone else) seriously underestimated its appeal.

For Nintendo, then, 2018 becomes a year of doubling down. The Switch is working, so the company's eagerly looking for ways to extend its reach. That could come from more games, certainly, or apps like Netflix that would help the device replicate a more traditional tablet. But first, Nintendo is releasing Labo, a new line of DIY toys that attach to either the Switch itself or a Joy-Con controller to let you play completely new kinds of games".

Telegraph UK
"After a successful first year for the Switch, built on a catalogue of fantastic traditional games like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, Labo is Nintendo looking to broaden the console's appeal with the kind of audacious inventiveness the gaming giant is known for.

Getting your hands on the kit and playing with its possibilities, as we did at Nintendo's Windsor office, you get the feeling that this is one of the most Nintendo things the company has ever done. Labo is an extraordinary feat of technical invention mixed with the right amount of barmy eccentricity, elevating humble cardboard into fully-functioning toys using a healthy dose of technological wizardry".

Full: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/f...nds-on-switch-brilliant-barmy-cardboard-toys/

The Hollywood Reporter
"The company continues to move the needle of the gaming industry in terms of unique choices.

Remember being a child at Christmas and having just as much fun playing with the box your toy came in as with the new gadget itself? Nintendo does.

With the Nintendo Labo, the Japanese gaming giant has taken an innovative leap forward while simultaneously harking back to the most rudimentary of designs. The new product, set for release on April 20 with a price tag of $69, allows gamers to craft three-dimensional designs from cardboard sheets. The announcement trailer for the Labo features such creations as a piano, a wearable backpack and a fishing rod. Once constructed, the user then slides their Nintendo Switch into a specific slot and what was once a simple corrugated board representation of an object is transformed into a functional musical instrument, towering robot or fishing tool.

What makes the Nintendo Labo so revolutionary is just how simple the idea is: Give your audience a chance to create their own game and then bring it to life".

Full: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ms-bring-childlike-wonder-back-gaming-1075467

And this

Polygon

Last edited:

Buffum

Nov 17, 2017
Not too surprising.
It's a pretty exciting product, especially in a context where you weren't expecting it to be Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good, this will be a great father - daughter bonding hobby and I might lure them out of minecraft and try other games.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sheldon: "Say hello to a simple accessory with a fantastic profit margin - Nintendo Labo! It's just cardboard!"

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm too old fashioned to think outside the box but initial hype and impressions aside I have a hard time believing that people are going to be lining up by the millions to essentially buy cardboard with some software.maybe I will change my mind once I get my hands on a demo unit or something.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I'm too old fashioned to think outside the box but initial hype and impressions aside I have a hard time believing that people are going to be lining up by the millions to be essentially buying cardboard.
You're buying a game that comes with cardboard accessories. Better than having more useless plastic shit laying around IMO(I had to get rid of so many useless Wii/WiiU accessories and guitars). You aren't just buying a box of card board.

OP
OP
byDoS

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
The Verge
Nintendo is making a bunch of weird DIY cardboard toys for the Switch and they'reawesome

Today, the company revealed a new initiative dubbed Nintendo Labo, which involves DIY cardboard accessories that can transform the Switch's Joy-Con controllers into everything from a fishing rod to a piano to a full-on robot suit. These accessories are then used to control a variety of mini-games, essentially turning the Switch tablet into a tiny arcade. The goal of Labo is to get kids involved in playing games on the Switch in a more hands-on, tactile way.

It's the kind of experience that seems like it could only come from Nintendo: clever, charming, and completely unexpected. "Labo is unlike anything we've done before," says Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé. It could just be the thing to keep the Switch's momentum going in its second year — but more importantly, it's a whole lot of fun".

Full:https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/...-diy-accessories-announced-price-release-date

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm too old fashioned to think outside the box but initial hype and impressions aside I have a hard time believing that people are going to be lining up by the millions to essentially buy cardboard with some software.maybe I will change my mind once I get my hands on a demo unit or something.

Well.. the cardboard is optional, you can cut your own and nintendo will provide you with the cardboard patterns for free. You still have to pay for the software

Imad issa

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You're buying a game that comes with cardboard accessories. Better than having more useless plastic shit laying around IMO(I had to get rid of so many useless Wii/WiiU accessories and guitars). You aren't just buying a box of card board.

it comes with a game, but the main selling feature is interacting with the cardboard.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Even my 11 year old daughter was like, "oooo, can I color them?"

Our 18 month old laughed at the video, but he'll laugh at almost anything. Jokes on him when he's wearing a backpack and headset to be a robot!

Honestly, this is going to do crazy well.

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Newspapers in Italy are enthusiastic too, though Repubblica.it ends the article being salty that is going to be the next Lego, and parents will have to suck it up.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call this 'insanely good' impressions - most are saying it's very creative but that doesn't necessarily mean it's an insanely good product. It does look very creative and putting the cardboard together and watching it 'come to life' could rival some of the most fantastic Lego sets, but I do worry a bit about the long term appeal of the software itself. Especially for the price point!

Time likens it to 1 2 Switch which was much closer to bad than good in my experience, the best Wired says (at least in your snippet - I couldn't read the article) is "fun", Telegraph do seem pretty positive but also bring up doubts at the long term fun factor, Hollywood Reporter praise the innovation but don't seem to speak on how fun it is (they do seem to find empty cardboard boxes pretty entertaining though so this is probably right up their alley!) and Polygon seem to be having more fun on Twitter.

I'm almost certainly going to get it anyway just because it looks like a fun weekend activity, and I think it is a really cool concept with huge appeal to kids and has potential to sell like crazy, but I'm going to be a bit more reserved than hope that the software keeps me hooked for more than a weekend or two!

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
You know that was my initial though "So they are selling cardboard "accessories" instead of plastic now? That one way to be different about it"

Well.. the cardboard is optional, you can cut your own and nintendo will provide you with the cardboard patterns for free. You still have to pay for the software
The cardboard is optional but it the pitch made it feel like it's essential to the core experience for example I want to play Resident Evil 7 but I feel like I need to play that in VR to get the full experience so I haven't bought the game because I don't have any VR headset of any kind at the moment.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Super glad to see positive impressions! This is the most creative thing I've seen on gaming in years so I applaud Nintendo for always bring this kind of weird but cool and original stuff to the table It's creative and it's ecological what else do you need? Hope it's not super expensive here in Mexico because I'm a fan of this kind of games that somehow remind me of Warioware.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Getting the variety kit for myself to play around, very impressed by the mechanism, I always love these new ways to play toy.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like this is going to make Nintendo millions.

But I also feel like it would make them billions if they made Nintendo themed ones that had no game component and were ~$15.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly a unique idea, though I can't say I'm particularly interested at this point. Seems like it would be a big hit with the 8-12 age demographic though.

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know that was my initial though "So they are selling cardboard "accessories" instead of plastic now? That one way to be different about it"

The cardboard is optional but it the pitch made it feel like it's essential to the core experience for example I want to play Resident Evil 7 but I feel like I need to play that in VR to get the full experience so I haven't bought the game because I don't have any VR headset of any kind at the moment.
The cardboard isn't optional though. You need to make one out of Nintendo's free designs or buy precut.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
The Telegraph article is really good:

RC Car:
The RC car software also uses the right Joy-Con's infra-red sensor to display a small night-vision display on the Switch. The demonstrator quickly throws together an obstacle course with paper cups and covers it with a box, asking us to locate a hidden Kirby figure using only the camera.

Fishing Rod:
We team up to build the fishing rod, which is a lot more intricate and constructed with real attention to detail. The cardboard pieces slot together to make a fully telescopic rod complete with string and a reel in which the motion-sensing Joy-Con sits. The pièce de résistance with the fishing rod is a tiny piece of cardboard that fits so that, as you turn the reel, it makes a delightful clacking sound like a spoke clicker on a bicycle.

Piano:
It is quite boggling how this all works, with just one Joy-Con slotting into the back of the piano. Open up the top and each key has a small infrared sticker on the back, hidden by a stretch of cardboard until you press, kicking the corresponding key up into view of the Joy-Con's sensor and the correct note playing immediately. There are also dials and levers that use the same method to bend notes or change the tone (to a cat's mewl, for instance). You can even draw and cut out your own sine graph, slot it into the piano and when you hold down a key, the sensor will 'read' the shape and the pitch will undulate accordingly.

Discover:
If this is the oft-touted Nintendo magic on the surface, the 'Discover' section of the Labo software allows you to get into the nitty-gritty of how the Toy-Cons actually work. A team of interactive cartoon characters with names like Lerna Lotte (geddit?), talk you through some of the aspects of how the Toy-Cons use the different aspect of the Switch and what you can do with each toy.

In the case of the piano, it shows you what the IR sensor is 'seeing' and how the hit-boxes for the keys appear in its vision. This is not an educational tool, but allowing children (and inquisitive grown-ups) to delve into the guts of the bewildering technological engineering that makes Labo work is a brilliant touch.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear the good impressions. Not for me, but it's a cool idea and I want it to do well.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Anything that encourages creativity should be praised and encouraged. I'm looking forward to this. Nice to see others see the positive in this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm amazed how well Nintendo managed their messaging with Labo.

They got the core focused direct out of the way, revealed Labo and we're still just a little halfway through January.

In the reveal thread, a few went for the long hanging fruit of suggesting Nintendo is headed for a terrible year akin to 2007 and 2008 with all the Wii ____ branded stuff, but I don't think there's any danger of it here. From the timing of the announcements to the quality of the content revealed thus far, and this includes Labo, Nintendo knows what they are doing and I have no doubt we'll have another Core focused direct soon enough.

Besides, it's nice that what drove them to record sales with the Switch isn't Labo.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just love it, only something Nintendo could make

In a year of 4K, HDR, VR, we get Labo with Nintendo and it is brilliant.

Amazing. Just plain fun and intuitive.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Business opportunity to make stuff for it out of that strong flexible plastic. The kind they make like collapsable hampers or boxes out of. Cardboard will go to shit in days.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I think it won't be frontloaded like traditional game releases. Sales may not be amazing at first, but as they release more sets throughout the year, it could be a huge holiday seller. I can see it being this Christmas' big toy. And on that front, price is no issue. Aren't those Hatchimal things like $80?

OP
OP
byDoS

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
I think it won't be frontloaded like traditional game releases. Sales may not be amazing at first, but as they release more sets throughout the year, it could be a huge holiday seller. I can see it being this Christmas' big toy. And on that front, price is no issue. Aren't those Hatchimal things like $80?

It's already #1 at Amazon US

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe outlets. There are some very questionable reviews on metacritic.

I'll wait for release and see people's impressions on here. Possibly try it myself even.

Mikke

Oct 28, 2017
You can even draw and cut out your own sine graph, slot it into the piano and when you hold down a key, the sensor will 'read' the shape and the pitch will undulate accordingly.
Hah, that's awesome. Having the RC car display basically what it sees is smart as well.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Well if they intent to release "expansion" sets with new software than I can kinda see where Nintendo plans to make money with this project assuming that it's not a one time "experiment" with Nintendo.

Longevity issues of cardboard aside and the very fact that this product will most will not be backwards compatible with whatever Nintendo plans to with their 10th Generation system 5 to 6 years from now (unless they decide to copy and paste the the design of their 9th Generation System the Nintendo Switch) the idea of people buying software to have the opportunity to play a video game with cardboard sounds so weird to me but I do realize that probably stems from the fact that this isn't a product aimed at me which explains all of those "Not for me but I'm glad it exists" post I been seen all over the internet.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the reveal thread, a few went for the long hanging fruit of suggesting Nintendo is headed for a terrible year akin to 2007 and 2008 with all the Wii ____ branded stuff, but I don't think there's any danger of it here.
The first half of the year consists of stuff like Bayonetta, Dark Souls, The World Ends with You, Dragon Quest, Street Fighter, Ys, a new SNK fighter, Atlier plus a bunch of hardcore stuff on the eShop, like Darkest Dungeon and Dreamcast era SHMUPs.

Anyone complaining about Nintendo "abandoning" the core is just trolling.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of them mention the creations being pretty sturdy which is main concern most people seemed to have so that's good.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Number 1 on US amazon...yup I'm not surprised, its gonna be the hottest and hardest to find item.

We gonna reach a point where people are scalping cardboard.