• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Ok if the carts are bargain priced I think a lot of people will go with that. But aren't there a lot of other things like strings and straps?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If they don't offer the patterns, someone will so... why not?

Remember people doing weird experiments with Wiimotes back then? This is just Nintendo realizing they could have used that and doing it first this time.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat.

Can't help but want to see them put together some basic kid-friendly programming tools (Lego Mindstorms style), too.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Awesome parents can machine the pieces out of stainless steel so their kids don't need to use peasant cardboard.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should make it real easy for people with access to maker spaces to make higher quality equivalent replacements from plastics / metal / wood / vinyl etc too

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see someone make a fully metal/plastic mech suit for the robot game, honestly.
it's going to be nuts, people will be making their own versions of all the different bits using all kinds of materials.
And these are just the first 2 basic kits, there were a lot more in the trailer i'm guessing for future kits, i.e 3/4/5/6 e.t.c

A lot of kids would go nuts for this thing, just look at the retail box itself and tell me that doesn't look fun for young kids.
It might get old but if nintendo keep releasing new sets and new games then it could have some traction.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
But will it respect my intelligence?

/s

XS5LK.gif

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Your average family will buy the kits for convenience most will, but it'll be interesting to see what hobbiests do

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
That's actually awesome. If you are setting about with your kids and friends making your own versions completely with a template that amplifies that "look at this fucking cardboard piano we just made" and really gets you into a building process of wonder.

Really really cool way of tricking kids/adults into engineering and building.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
It is great to know that if you wanted to, you can just get the templates to make your own if you wanted to. Kudos to Nintendo for doing that. Definitely will be something you'll see with Maker Space groups.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy to see we've gone from extreme concern that the switch dock will potentially scratch the screen and Buy protective screens to. "Hey let's throw our switches into cardboard devices we built!"

Parents letting their kids do that to their switches are more daring than I am

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If the software it's self is cheaper I might actually go for it. I think it would be a lot of fun to try and built it from scratch. And I've got to do something with all that cardboard sitting around in my garage so it might as well be this

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject at hand, this is such a smart and simple move by Nintendo, of course the designs would get pirated like Hell if they even tried to keep a lid on them, so letting it go out free for people who are a bit more construction savvy, or simply just curious, is definitely a more consumer friendly thing to do.

Now, I just need to see a lot more about the software itself before becoming an instant buy. Wasn't there a rumour of a Direct in February, or was that just something that came out of the Chibi Robo on Fire hysteria?

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying the kits is for sure the easier solution, but this will make replacing broken parts MUCH easier. Good job, Nintendo.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
With my luck I'll somehow end up with a 99.5% scale homemade Labo thing that'll be just off enough to not work.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
If the cartridge is 50-60 bucks then you can assume the robot game is a full game and the "variety pack" is at least on the level of some wii ware stuff

Something like the variety pack being 50 for game and 20 for cardboard and the robot is 60/20.

Oct 24, 2017
Children are animals who literally fling shit in every direction and will destroy anything put in front of them so everything must be free or else it's not worth it.