• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are reporting that Target has discounted these in store, but it might not be at all Targets.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Great price. Variety and vehicle kits should be no-brainers for anyone with kids at that price.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
"Please take this off our shelves" price

You can have enough fun with Variety Kit for $20

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Firesale.

I hope Nintendo learns from their mistakes. Being innovative is good, but they should test their innovations more thorougly, especially internally.

I bet there were a lot of people internally at Nintendo, who thought Labo absolutely sucks (conceptually), but they probably didn't have the guts to say it, or they weren't allowed to say it.

This problem is something that even Iwata adressed after the Wii U failure.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Is the consensus now that Labo sucked? I ignored it since it didn't interest me personally.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the consensus now that Labo sucked? I ignored it since it didn't interest me personally.
If you got kids and a switch, it seemed to be a fun diversion for an afternoon or two. At this price, you should stock up and store em away, because Nintendo, this will be worth a lot in 20 years.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
*walks in thread while being 31 yrs old and reading all the "its for kids" comments after having purchased and enjoyed all three sets for himself months ago.*

Y'all need to open your minds.

*gets back to work on his Robot Labo*

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Biggest problem is the idea is only good for a weekend. The kits can be fun even for adults, but you won't get much usage out of it all after your initial weekend with the product.

You pay like 60 bux and have fun building your stuff for a few hours. Then there isn't much else to do.

For like $15-$20 its worth it tho IMO.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Firesale.

I hope Nintendo learns from their mistakes. Being innovative is good, but they should test their innovations more thorougly, especially internally.

I bet there were a lot of people internally at Nintendo, who thought Labo absolutely sucks (conceptually), but they probably didn't have the guts to say it, or they weren't allowed to say it.

Is there a quote for this? I'm actually interested in the inner-workings going on at Nintendo,

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It's a neat idea and for the price of $20, it's worth the experiment.

Apr 8, 2018
Damn, wish I had a Target near me. I'd probably pick up the Variety or Vehicle Kit at that price. Seems like putting the different kits together could be pretty fun and interesting.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The vehicle kit is great for anyone really, not just kids. The first two kits are very much "just toys," but the vehicle kit provides a reasonably good sit.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
It sold in the millions though. It did not set the charts on fire, but it did fine. Definitely not a bomb. Just mediocre sales for a product that could have been way better.

VR kit is most likely going to be the last one, but I don't think Nintendo lost money on Labo, overall. Imo, it was worth a shot

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LABO did not bomb in any way, it's weird that people seem to be wishing for it, especially as much as people complain about Nintendo not having sales. The worst you can say is that it underperformed, but last we heard it had already passed well over 1 million in unit sales.

This is one retailer having a LABO sale almost a year after launch to make room for VR LABO, that's it. Shades of the "every Nintendo game that isn't a hit is a flop" thread. It's okay for a game to sell ok.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Discounted at my target, guess who just got the gift shopping for his daughter 3 months in advance!

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Is there a quote for this? I'm actually interested in the inner-workings going on at Nintendo,

https://www.gamnesia.com/news/iwata-says-he-misread-the-market

In a snap news conference called in Osaka, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata admitted he had misread the markets and hadn't issued "the appropriate instructions.'' He said the company needed to change and "propose something that surprises our customers."

"The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are have changed," Mr. Iwata said. "If we stay in one place, we will become outdated."

Problem #1: He said he misread the market and that "The way people use their time, their lifestyles, who they are have changed"

However, there were people inside Nintendo who predicted the Wii U's failure (well, because they knew it sucked), among them was the former CEO of Nintendo after Iwata, Kimishima, himself.

https://venturebeat.com/2015/09/14/nintendos-new-president-predicted-the-wii-u-would-fail/

Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.

Same as Problem #1:

They should improve their internal antenna first and start interviewing their global 5000+ employees more often and ask them what they think about certain ideas and concepts. Nintendo should make sure those employes can speek their mind freely, without fear of being fired. Because then I think A LOT (that's my prediction) of Nintendo employees internally would have downright said "well, Labo and the whole concept sucks". The same could have happend with the Wii U. Two conceptual failures that could have been easily prevented.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up the vehicle kit, $23 including tax

The vehicle kit is super fun. There's a few "aha!/eureka!" moments while you're building them that really made us smile at the ingenuity. If you've ever watched those Japanese wood-joining videos on YouTube or origami, it's a lot like that - just really simply principles that are use throughout, but when put together make some of the most interesting and brilliant designs you just have to laugh again and again about the use of cardboard. It's super satisfying.

Oct 25, 2017
The vehicle kit is super fun. There's a few "aha!/eureka!" moments while you're building them that really made us smile at the ingenuity. If you've ever watched those Japanese wood-joining videos on YouTube or origami, it's a lot like that - just really simply principles that are use throughout, but when put together make some of the most interesting and brilliant designs you just have to laugh again and again about the use of cardboard. It's super satisfying.

Good to know! This is my first kit so I'm excited

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Firesale.

Your projection of your thoughts of Labo that you're trying to pass on imaginary Nintendo employees and the corporate structure aside, Labo has had success in schools and hasn't been a total bomb. You act like Labo is on the same level as the Wii U failure-wise when that's hardly true at all. I don't think you can compare complementary software for the Switch not jumping off shelves to a major home console bombing.

Some of you need to understand that not everything is made for the "gamer" demographic. It's okay to make software for other demographics, and being happy that something not made for you didn't do as well as it could have just makes you look really pathetic and childish. Ironically enough, more childish than the demographic Labo is made for.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I probably should have grabbed all 3, but I skipped on the giant robot one. There just doesn't look like a lot of longevity there, and with 2 children fighting over it, it also looks like the one most likely to be damaged irreparably. Should be a nice surprise for my (soon to be) 6 year old.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
giphy.gif