• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
lWSQuJm.png

Developer: Nintendo
Genre: Fold-'Em-Up
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: NA: April 20th, 2017 / EU: April 27th, 2017
Price: Variety Kit: $69.99 / £59.99 - Robot Kit: $79.99 / £69.99

JubpQib.png

What is Nintendo Labo?

Nintendo Labo is the latest "WTF?" peripheral-based product from Nintendo - only this time, instead of simply buying a Balance Board, Wii Zapper, or other piece of plastic garbage destined for your basement shelf, you make the accessories yourself out of cardboard. These peripherals are dubbed Toy-Con, and they all work in tandem with the Joy-Con and Switch console to create unique experiences designed for all ages.

JubpQib.png

hIjw9UC.png
mQHy6kn.png

Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit

Serving as the flagship Labo set at launch, the Variety Kit includes 5 different projects designed to show off just how creative you can get with cardboard: two RC cars, a fishing rod, a house, a motorbike, and a piano. Build time for each of the included projects is estimated from just 10 minutes (for the RC cars) to around 3 hours (for the piano).

F6hOcfj.png

AVvLESg.png

The simplest of the included projects, this RC "car" is actually more like a little bug. You stick a Joy-Con on both sides and use the Switch screen to make them rumble, which causes the car to move. The right Joy-Con's IR camera allows you to see what the car sees on the Switch screen, and can even be used to make the car self-drive by placing reflective tape in front of it. Material is included to create two cars (both of which require their own set of Joy-Con), and extra parts are provided should you want to deck out your bots for racing, battling, or pure fashion.

CbkwD8E.png

KA3cDlJ.png

For this project, the Switch console is placed in a holster connected to the fishing rod by a string. The left Joy-Con goes into the side of the fishing rod, while the right one is placed in the bottom. The hook is displayed on-screen, and turning the reel will cause the virtual line to descend. There are a variety of fish to catch with increasing difficulty as you venture into deeper waters, and you can even use smaller fish as bait to lure in bigger ones. All of your catches can be viewed in an aquarium mode. If you build the Toy-Con Piano, you can even use its waveform reader to create custom fish designs.

zkuNx1g.png

lsO837I.png

If you ever wanted a virtual pet for your Switch, the Toy-Con House is for you. The console goes inside the house, and the right Joy-Con slots into the chimney. You can mess with a strange creature in a variety of ways by inserting various block into holes on the bottom and sides of the house. For example, sticking the key block into the side will cause a faucet to appear and flood the house, while the button block will change the time of day. Inserting multiple blocks at once will change the room's layout and let you play mini-games like riding a mine cart, playing jump rope, and going bowling.

TVRvnlg.png

MXRQy2D.png

In this first-person biking sim, the console is placed within a pair of handlebars with a Joy-Con on each side. It controls like you'd expect - twist the accelerator to drive, and tilt to steer. Mario Kart junkies will glad to know that you can drift to boost, and even pop a wheelie like it's MKWii. 9 courses are included across 3 Grand Prix, but wait - there's more! Inserting the right Joy-Con into the included scanner gun will let you create terrain based on objects placed in front of the IR camera, and putting the left Joy-Con into a minibike will let you design your own tracks by simply moving it around in the air.

RLAj0v5.png

UymIcmo.png

Slide the console into this project and put the right Joy-Con into the back, and voila: your very own piano. Press the keys, wiggle the piano itself, and insert various knobs to create a variety of sounds. Acoustic Mode causes the sounds to be played solely through the left Joy-Con's vibrations. The Recording Studio lets you adjust envelope, reverb, octave, and cut out your own paper waveforms to create unique sounds. You can also record tracks and play them over each other to make fully fleshed out songs that can even be conducted by waving the left Joy-Con.

JubpQib.png

APe9B0X.png
gx5M9Fu.png

Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit

Clocking in at an estimated 3-4 hour build time, the Robot Kit is the most complicated build available at launch and is comprised of four main parts: a backpack that holds the right Joy-Con, a visor that holds the left Joy-Con, and sets of shoes and arms attached to the backpack by strings. To control the robot, simply stomp your feet to walk, tilt your body to turn, and punch to… well, punch. You can also spread your arms to enter Flight Mode and crouch to enter Tank Mode. Lowering the visor will change the view from third to first person, and assuming a special pose will engage Gigantic Mode.

6YosWEH.png

In Robot Mode, you can turn yourself loose on a city and destroy buildings, cars, and UFOs to rack up a high score. Challenge Mode lets you take on various VR missions to unlock new moves for your robot, such as Charge Punch and Drill Kick. The Hangar has you insert the included cardboard screws into the backpack to customize the color of your robot. Robo-Studio allows you to create assorted noises by putting the Switch console into your backpack and moving around. (If you're as smooth as the kid in the promo video, you can even bust out some funky dance moves.) Lastly, you can duke it out with a friend in VS Mode's arena combat, should you manage to get two Robot Kits together in the same room.

JubpQib.png

Toy-Con Garage

Included with every kit is a special feature called "Toy-Con Garage". In this mode, you can actually build and program your own Toy-Con creations while learning a little bit about coding along the way. If you've been wondering "what's so creative about following some step-by-step instructions and playing a premade game?", then I highly recommend watching these short Toy-Con Garage videos to see what the other side of Labo is all about - it's a lot deeper than you'd think.

JubpQib.png

JubpQib.png

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why would I pay $70/$80 for cardboard?

A:
You're not paying for just cardboard. Both kits include a Switch game cart as well as the cardboard and other materials, so you could consider Labo a typically priced $60 game with $10/$20 peripherals. Of course, whether you think the software is worth $60 is subjective.

Q: Why does the Robot Kit cost more than the Variety Kit?

A: Nintendo's gotta make back those Project Giant Robot development costs somehow.

Q: Aren't these just minigame collections?

A: Obviously none of the Toy-Con games are going to give BotW or Super Mario Odyssey a run for their money, but as evidenced by the videos and descriptions above, they are all a lot more involved than they appear at first glance.

Q: Will the Robot Kit backpack fit an adult? Asking for a friend.

A: The backpack's straps and strings are adjustable, so it should fit most people.

Q: Is the cardboard durable?

A: According to Nintendo: "Nintendo Labo Toy-Con creations should last a long time when used and treated properly. If your creations do need repairs, you can often make them with common household materials like tape and glue." In addition, Nintendo will start offering official replacement materials at store.nintendo.com on launch day.

Have more questions? Check out Nintendo's own Labo FAQ here: https://labo.nintendo.com/faq/

Last edited:

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
All aboard the cardboard hype train.
Choo Choo.
Great OT, love the breakdowns.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Even though I wouldn't buy this for myself now, I would have gone crazy for something like this when I was a kid. I hope people enjoy it.

Nov 3, 2017
I asked my sister if her lot were getting Nintendo Labo, she had no idea what it was and asked her eldest who said he wants his school to get it as it "encourages creativity and imagination". lol!
I ordered the Variety Kit & Customization Kit after being told not to because i spoil them. I decided not to get the Robot Kit as i'll save something for Christmas and i wanted them to play about with the smaller gadgets first and if it takes off with them then i'll be awesome christmas uncle and get the Robot Kit.

Eight year old me would have had a meltdown if this was available back then. I'd have been making bugs for my Star Wars figures to ride on etc. Only a week to go. Neat.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend and I don't have kids, just two kittens and if these two monsters can get a carboard box to play with I can get a goddamn LABO.

Oct 25, 2017
Have Robo Kit pre ordered at Best Buy...I'm not sure if I'll pick it up, still a bit doubtful though I do want to play it I don't want to pay that much. Hope I make the right choice tomorrow, lol

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Got a Variety Kit coming on Monday. I'll probably be too preoccupied with God of War to even think about it for a while, but looking forward to trying it out!

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited. I've got a preorder down on Toy Con 1. This kind of mechanical shit is my jam

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
I wouldn't have pre-ordered both if Best Buy didn't stack gcu and gave me a $15 reward.
Also probably need to change it to pick up by tonight if they don't move the orders past processing. Did anyone manage to get theirs a day earlier?

Edit: Oh both orders finally moved past processing today!

Last edited:

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I wanna see labo garage madnessss!
Year 2030: hear the story of this startup that was built from the ground up in The CEO's garage. Toy-con garage ***flashback to cardboard air guitar***

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got both versions on preorder thru Best Buy. Can't wait to see how badly my 4yrold fucks it up.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Man, I really wanna tinker around with Labo with my son but he's definitely too young. Still kinda want to get it (for me) for his third birthday next month.

Seeing the rainbow connection video really changed my mind from "nahhh, he's too young" to "so what that he's too young? It'll be something I can do with him"

Think I'm gonna do it as a bonus gift.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Man, I really wanna tinker around with Labo with my son but he's definitely too young. Still kinda want to get it (for me) for his third birthday next month.

Seeing the rainbow connection video really changed my mind from "nahhh, he's too young" to "so what that he's too young? It'll be something I can do with him"

Think I'm gonna do it as a bonus gift.

Video for those wondering:

Hope my programming knowledge helps me persevere in building a guitar.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I am ironically more excited about the Variety Kit than the Robot Kit which is funny since the latter has the more appealing concept for me but the former ended-up looking better and better with each new impression and the other, well, did not.

Hope to be surprised by both though.

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my Variety Kit, the box is impressively HUGE lol

Edit: I think the piano is going to be my first Toy-Con!

Last edited:

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
I wonder why the Labo game cases look different than other Switch game cases. There's no Switch logo on the top left and the spine isn't red.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Really looking forward to impressions since us second class European citizens need to wait 1 more week. Hopefully you guys build up some community projects that we can copy next week since I am creatively bankrupt.

corn_fest

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to trying out the Variety Kit tomorrow, but wishing I had remembered to cancel my impulse pre-order for the Robot Kit cause it kinda looks really dumb.
Ah well, I guess we'll see.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Damn this is out tomorrow?

Don't know what to expect sales-wise.

I could see it being a Wii Music OR a a Wii Fit.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Got the sets for my kids. Looking forward to seeing what they can do with them and gauging their excitement/interest in this. Of course, I'm definitely playing with these myself once they've had their fun. :)

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I can't wait to see kids interacting with this stuff. It's going to be great.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are super excited to build this with our son tomorrow. Granted he's still very young(18mos.), we know he'll enjoy sitting with us and helping us build the projects.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
No shame here, I don't have kids and this is entirely for me. I am excited for the creative potential of it.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Nice OT, all aboard the (selfmade) cardboard train.

Maybe include the kits nintendo sells for decoration too ? Not that i think most people coming here care about them, but for completions sake.

Also if Nintendo will hit success with this, and makes more and more Kits, this OT will have one hell of a long first post.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
No shame here, I don't have kids and this is entirely for me. I am excited for the creative potential of it.
Same here, I think it looks great! Really looking forward to making the piano...and then customizing it to be larger with more keys.

I also think it has lots of future potential for games with custom accessories - normally accessories are far too expensive to be game-specific, and don't sell enough to be worth it, but publishers can make them Labo-style for cheap.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I've seen of Labo is cool, but what I'm really looking forward to is Labo paired with Nintendo's IPs. Hope it happens.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone with the game do me a huge solid and switch their system language to see if Labo matches it? I really wanna know if it has multi-language support and I've had no luck looking around for this information on my own.

In any case, I will be buying the variety kit even if I have to play in Japanese. Guess I'll think of it as a learning tool for the language :< Unfortunately I have to wait until Saturday or Sunday to get it, but I am reeeeeally excited.

Last edited:

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Have fun! Looking forward to hearing impressions from GAF on the variety kit. I don't have room to store the completed products but have no problem building them up to play with for a few hours and then dismantling. Still on the fence for to storage space.

Ygqora

Feb 5, 2018
While I'm not personally getting this at the moment, I really hope it does well. It looks amazing for teaching kids in my opinion and i'm really looking forward to the crazy things you'll inevitably see on youtube using the garage. I'm expecting general interest to catch on after some really nice creations get put on youtube honestly.