• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the year drawing to a close, we asked some of the most respected people in the video games business for their personal favourites of 2017.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, several praised Nintendo's new Switch console and its flagship launch title - the seminal Zelda: Breath of the Wild. But there were plenty of other high points for execs and developers to choose from, both industry-related and on a more personal basis.

We also asked what these experts are most looking forward to in 2018, with Red Dead Redemption 2 a popular choice. Read to find out what else these figureheads are gearing up for:

Yosuke Saito, producer, Square Enix
2017 was certainly up there as one of the busiest years of my life as a game producer, starting with the release of NieR: Automata, then on to Dragon Quest XI and the PS4 and Switch versions of Dragon Quest X and its expansion pack. Even so, it was really nice to be able to deliver great results for each of them.

To be honest, I'm really jealous of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, that is about to sweep the board at GOTY and all the other awards events. But hey-ho, I got to see how there are so many fans all around the world who love our games, so it truly was a happy year for me. Many, many thanks to all the fans!

Looking ahead, I hope my work becomes slightly less busy and I can achieve a better balance with my private life. Having said that, I'm really not the type who enjoys having nothing to do, so I hope I will have a chance to bring you news on a new title in 2018. Stay tuned, but don't get too excited ok!

John Romero, co-founder and president, Romero Games
My highlight of 2017 was Breath of the Wild - what an incredible experience! The feeling of absolute freedom in BotW is beyond any other game I've seen, and the design of the world is so well done. I'm very happy to see my belief in Nintendo, and great game design, is once again proven to be a huge success.

I'm most looking forward to playing more games in 2018, and hopefully diving into World of Warcraft's expansion, Battle for Azeroth, and getting to level 120.

Harvey Eagle, Xbox UK category director, Microsoft
Well on a personal note I was lucky enough to take a sabbatical from Microsoft over the summer months. With my wife and our whippet, we took a driving holiday around Spain and ate some truly amazing food and drank some fab wine. A food highlight was catching tuna season in a restaurant called El Campero in Barbate, a small fishing town near Cadiz. And if you like bold fruity red wines I highly recommend Tomas Postigo's Ribera del Duero.

I know I shouldn't be biased, but I have to say that the launch of Xbox One X has been a career highlight. We're very fortunate that with us, Sony and Nintendo all having popular new devices our console industry is in rude health.

And finally I want to win a chicken dinner before the year is out.

There's much more opinions on the article so take a look at it. Like the title says, Switch and Nintendo are the most mentioned but there's other games also being mentioned in there.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-19-2017-highlights

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm glad Yosuke Saito kept pushing for Yoko Taro's games to be made. I guess if it wasn't for him we probably wouldn't have Nier Automata right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.