• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
6Gt2qsB.png

WxvIiKs.jpg

Nintendo leaks keep getting more wilder day by day. This time the entire source code of the Nintendo 3DS operating system has been posted online. Everything you would want to know about how 3DS worked is in there. Again, the leak originated in 4chan.

This time the leak doesn't include design documentation like the Wii leak did, but there's lots of interesting development files, and this leak is also huge because 3DS is still in production. Also, the Nintendo Switch OS is based on the 3DS OS.

Filelist:

Three's an enormous amount of content in this leak and there may be important discoverments in there that we haven't noticed yet, but one interesting file seems to suggest NVIDIA 3DS was real and was in development since 2006:

tfyYZF.png

NVIDIA references in this early dev log:

PROMへ書き込むROMイメージです。
MG20用は *_mg20_*.exo、IOP用は *_iop_*.exo というファイル名です。
Xilinx の書き込みツールでエラーが出た時にはツールを再起動して下さい。

変更履歴

2006/12/5
IOP: LCD-DACパラメータ修正

2006/12/1
IOP: LCD-DACパラメータ最適化

2006/11/30
IOP: LCD-DAC初期化&バックライトON
サウンドイネーブル
バス調停方式をラウンドロビンへ初期化

2006/11/29
MG20-NV: DDR設定の最適化

2006/11/23
MG20-NV: NVIDIA製PROMでDDRが使用可能になるもの

2006/11/17
IOP: MG20 からの初期化完了コマンド受信を待っていた箇所を一時的に削除

2006/11/16
MG20: JTAG は NV-ROM でイネーブルにしているので無限ループのみ

2006/11/14
IOP: LinkIF & PMIC初期化
JTAGイネーブル直前にキャッシュ&プロテクションユニットディセーブル

2006/11/13
IOP: JTAGイネーブルのみ

The craziest part about this NVIDIA thing is that back in 2006 Tegra didn't even exist.

Regarding Pokémon, yes, the D/P source code has also been posted in 4chan. This time there doesn't seem to be anything interesting, no prototype Pokémon there.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This sucks tbh. Go wild with N64 stuff.. but 3DS?

I'm not looking forward to an even more strict and restrictive Nintendo.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'm totally ignorant on this kind of matter, but can this improve in some way the future 3ds emulation?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Nintendo Leaks

Ultimate

Me : OH SHIT SMASH

Also me

giphy.gif

Still neat tho I guess

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.resetera.com

The Nintendo leak saga continues: biggest Nintendo leak in history, full source code / design files for Wii released online

As you may be aware, in the last few weeks in 4chan multiple Nintendo-related old things have been leaking, starting with old Pokémon debug ROMs and source code, then most recent 3DS debug ROMs, then keys for all consoles up until the DSi and now the biggest of them all: the full source code...
It's the same thread starter. It's new news. So new thread.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
www.resetera.com

The Nintendo leak saga continues: biggest Nintendo leak in history, full source code / design files for Wii released online

As you may be aware, in the last few weeks in 4chan multiple Nintendo-related old things have been leaking, starting with old Pokémon debug ROMs and source code, then most recent 3DS debug ROMs, then keys for all consoles up until the DSi and now the biggest of them all: the full source code...
That's about the wii.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
www.resetera.com

New news, new thread

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Dang, wonder what else is circulating around if they got something as recent as the 3DS.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I far along did Nintendo and Nvidia go? Did any early prototype units get made with Nvidia hardware?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Awesome, more interested in if it helps with perfecting emulation because you know that they'll take a look at the underlining code, they just won't directly use any of it.

Deleted member 69771

Imagine if they had went with Nvidia for the 3DS. Maybe Wii U too? lol

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit.

I mean, at least the majority of the 3ds sales are well done by now, but I'm not sure how I feel about this.

If somehow the switch one gets released, it'll probably be broken open super quickly and piracy everywhere, right? Yuck.

Nov 18, 2017
amazed by the people still thinking these leaks will have any bearing on the emulation scene. the emulation scene can only exist WITHOUT these leaks, a single dev decides to so much as peak at these leaks and legally they lose all ground to stand on. and seeing how Nintendo just took down a perfectly legal mario 64 pc port you think they wont lunge at the opportunity to take down dolphin or citra if they think theres even a minute chance theres anything from these leaks in there?

This is interesting sure, im intruiged by whats in here too but im also scared as to how the big N will respond to all this. Nintendo loves a good lawsuit.

edit: terrible journalism made me do it i swear.

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that work from home security changes caused some openings. And in the face of that Nintendo still considers maximizing work flow in the current climate more important than fixing the holes. This may change things though.
All of this was supposedly stolen long ago, but the leakers have been drip-feeding it every Friday. It's nothing to do with WFH.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
3DS is probably nearing end of production but it's not quite there yet. They still have game card manufacturing going (mostly for catalog but there are occasional new releases like the Atooi Collection) and in terms of hardware are still manufacturing n2DSXL units. I hope this doesn't result in anything like prematurely closing the eShop.

Deleted member 69771

amazed by the people still thinking these leaks will have any bearing on the emulation scene. the emulation scene can only exist WITHOUT these leaks, a single dev decides to so much as peak at these leaks and legally they lose all ground to stand on. and seeing how Nintendo just took down a perfectly legal mario 64 pc port you think they wont lunge at the opportunity to take down dolphin or citra if they think theres even a minute chance theres anything from these leaks in there?

This is interesting sure, im intruiged by whats in here too but im also scared as to how the big N will respond to all this. Nintendo loves a good lawsuit.
They only took down the binary, which was illegal. The source code is still up and 100% legal and you can use it right now if you want to

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
and seeing how Nintendo just took down a perfectly legal mario 64 pc port
No they didn't. Stop spreading bullshit. They're taking down the compiled .exes just like they've always taken down N64 ROMs. Making a headline out of Nintendo taking down a Mario 64 .exe is the same as making a headline about Nintendo taking down a MEGA download of Super Mario 64 (U) [!].z64. People love complaining about clickbait but you fall for the most obvious examples of it.

The source code of the port is still alive and kicking on github. And that's how the port is supposed to be distributed.

www.github.com/sm64pc/sm64pc

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Wake me up when they find something interesting in the Diamond/Pearl source (like Betamons etc.)

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm split between thinking this stuff being out there is awesome for preservation's and tinkering's sake, but I hope this doesn't lead to more Switch piracy. Seems like a stretch based on what's out there, and I somehow doubt many 3DS sales will be affected at this point.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
How did all these leaks happen?
One of Nintendo's partners got hacked. That partner had access to Nintendo's internal source-control repositories, which is where developers post development documents and code and whatever files are needed during software development; it's a good tool for teams working together on the same project. Nintendo has apparently also been storing source and design docs to some older games there for reference.

Last edited:

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I far along did Nintendo and Nvidia go? Did any early prototype units get made with Nvidia hardware?
Reports at the time before the announcement initially said that the first Tegra was a done deal for the hardware. I am not sure if the reason why it was dropped was ever reported. I believe the initial source at the time was here (the website is down at the moment):

www.brightsideofnews.com

NVIDIA Tegra wins contract for Next Gen Nintendo DS

When Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO of nVidia announced that he expects to see Tegra capturing 50% of nVidia’s revenue within the next couple of years, a lot of people thought that this is a smoke screen to sway the attention from its battles against AMD and Intel. Incredibly how it may...

Internet Archive here:

nVidia Tegra wins contract for next-gen Nintendo DS - Bright Side Of News*

nVidia Tegra wins contract for next-gen Nintendo DS

EDIT:
Here's Eurogamer too, first corroborating the rumors:
www.eurogamer.net

In Theory: Nintendo DS2 vs. Sony PSP2

While the combination of crippling losses, the general economic crisis and the advent of motion control are enough to s…

and later updating them to say that plans had changed:
www.eurogamer.net

NVIDIA unconnected with 3DS

Mobile industry insiders, speaking with Digital Foundry, have said that the much-rumoured tie-up between Nintendo and N…

Last edited: