• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
The Switch has the worst controllers in any Nintendo system I've tried, except for the N64. One has a busted d-pad, and the other has the worst wireless reception this side of Andromeda. Not to mention the total lack of features, which has been fixed veeeery slowly, and is still missing many things (web browser, Netflix, free save backups, more themes). Every time I use my Switch I get more and more frustrated by its terrible controllers. I'll never understand how Nintendo failed this bad, all they had to do was copy their old d-pads and bluetooth reception.
So, I take it you haven't tried the Pro controller then ?
On mobile, too lazy to change the numbers, but here is the list fixed.

I have no problem with the Switch at number 1, incredible system.

Gamecube bottom 3 ? What's wrong with you

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
If I were presented with these machines in the here and now and judge them equally in a face off (no cultural legacy), I'd run with this order.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. SNES
2. NES
3. Gamecube
4. Game Boy
5. DS
6. N64
7. Wii
8. Game Boy Advance
10. 3DS
11. Switch
12. Wii U
13. Game Boy Color
14. Virtual Boy

Sgtpepper89

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Switch will be nr1 IF they stop sucking when it comes to releasing the old classics but its on the road to one of the best consoles ever.

Wii U as a followup to Wii, and being replaced with Switch, man that plastic garbage should be just under Virtual Boy now that we also got like all decent games available on other consoles. I got my Wii U on release and have like a total of 45h time played.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the Switch, it's definitely my favourite Nintendo console. 3DS is second for me. NES and SNES are very important but I don't particularly love anything on them.

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Life has made another list, and

Tell you what, I'll let you judge for yourself. This is every single Nintendo system ranked:

13. Virtual Boy
12. Gameboy Color
11. Nintendo Entertainment System
10. Gameboy
09. Gameboy Advance
08. Wii
07. Nintendo DS
06. Wii U
05. Nintendo 3DS
04. Nintendo 64
03. GameCube
02. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
01. Switch

---

Source

---
Yikes.

I'd go

1. DS
2. SNES
3. Wii
4. 3DS
5. GameCube
6. N64
7. GBA
8. Wii U
9. NES
10. Game Boy

I wouldn't even rank switch yet, too early. If I had to it would maybe hit #6?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a stupid list. Switch is too early with too little of a library and the online system alone prevents it from being anywhere close to 1 given how important online gaming is now. I love gamecube but good lord it does not have the library or features of other consoles at that time to be rated 3rd. Nintendo 64 at 10 is a fucking travesty.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Can someone remind me of some good DS games? I see some posts here praising the DS, but I only remember:
-Some Atlus JRPGs
-The 3 amazing Castlevania games
-Hotel Dusk/Ghost Trick
Edit: - Phoenix Wrifght of course, but the games were GBA remasters
I can't remember that many really good games, I think that the 3DS has far better games.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Nintendo Life has made another list, and

Tell you what, I'll let you judge for yourself. This is every single Nintendo system ranked:

13. Virtual Boy
12. Gameboy Color
11. Nintendo Entertainment System
10. Gameboy
09. Gameboy Advance
08. Wii
07. Nintendo DS
06. Wii U
05. Nintendo 3DS
04. Nintendo 64
03. GameCube
02. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
01. Switch

---

Source

---

Man, I don't even know where to begin with this one...
  • You ranked Wii U over Nintendo DS?
  • You ranked the Gameboys so low?
  • The NES was not even in the top ten?
  • The Switch is number 1? It's not even two years old!
The placement of DS and Switch alone offends me (the fact that the fucking Wii U is over every Nintendo handheld except 3DS is even worse). The only good thing I can say about this list is that GameCube got some respect that it too often does not, but otherwise, holy shit.

Also, pls don't do the "well ackchually" stuff and point out how Game and Watch and TV-Color-Game aren't on the list, so it isn't technically every system.

The placement of switch I think is perfectly fine. Of course I'm not a huge Nintendo fan but the fact that it is a device that offers a lot of potential even for non Nintendo fans gives it a huge boost. I agree that NES should be on the top ten (and should be the top five, I'd put it second honestly as it is what brought Nintendo fame in the first place). I'd put gameboy in the top five (maybe SNES before). But, other than that, I don't have a huge opinion where the other ones go other than the only reason I'd put wii on the top ten at all is cause it was so popular and Wii U should be dead last honestly (ok, second to last since they are including Virtual Boy). And I have no idea how gameboy color got second to last.

Overall, other than switch being number one, looking at it I mostly agree with you (but I do think Switch is number one :P ).

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right. People wanna sleep on the Switch because it's so young, but honestly its current line up is way better than a ton of other Nintendo consoles. Especially when you factor in most of the big NES games are already playable on it, with SNES games at the very least to come soon.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
That's a bad, bad list. I'm a Nintendo fan through and through, but Wii U belongs down there just above Virtual Boy.

I mean, sure it had a handful of great games, but none were best in the series and a good deal of those are on a console that's much better and more fun to play on and boot up.

I mean, even the central concept of the console was dropped by Nintendo after like the first year, leaving the console with an expensive, otherwise useless gamepad latched to it.

Honestly, even if there WERE games that I wanted to go back to from that system, I'd have a hard time mustering up the want to even turn the thing on, it's such a pain to even get things set up and slow as molasses.

I'd probably have Gamecube at #1. If I were into portables after the GBA, probably one of the DSs (I just couldnt get into them when my hands grew too big to hold them comfortably).

Oct 27, 2017
Close for me. I'd swap GameCube with DS and N64 for GBA though. Not a fan of N64 or GC much. I think I played like 2 games on each regularly (Perfect Dark/Goldeneye and Tales of Symphonia/SSBM respectively) and not much else appealed to me personally

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
13. Virtual Boy
12. Gameboy Color
11. Gameboy
10. WiiU
09. Wii
08. GBA
07. GameCube
06. 3DS
05. N64
04. Switch
03. NES
02. DS
01. SNES

I might be overrating Switch here but really in terms of content I feel like there's always been something to play since day one which to me hasn't been true for a Nintendo console in forever. I also am somewhat giving it a little bit of a handicap because it's not even close to being done yet, just in the next year there's so much more coming

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes

I agree on all your points.

I would have said:
13. Game & Watch
12. Gameboy Color
11. Wii U
10. Nintendo 64
09. Gameboy Advance
08. Gamecube
07. Nintendo 3DS
06. Wii
05. Gameboy
04. Switch
03. Nintendo DS
02. Nintendo Entertainment System
01. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Exact same list as mine, though I never owned 12/13, and I would put the gba at 11 (only had the non retrolit one and it was just unusable). The DS was an absolute beast, it was really enabling developer creativity.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What?
-Bayonetta 2
-Tropical Freeze
-TMS#FE
-XcX
-MK8
-Smash4
-Zelda remasters
-TW101
-Pikmin 3
-Splatoon
-Captain Toad
-3D World
I mean, without context you'd have a point. But within context, it's extremely easy to wittle that list down to nothing when you take out games that have been ported and games that I'd never actually boot up the system again to play. That list gets wittled down to:

-Zelda Remasters
-3d World

That's pretty damn sad. And it's only a matter of time before 3d world and those zelda remasters get ported too. Plus the other ones that I dont care for.

(and to clarify, cuzIknow someone will point it out, I'm not calling smash a port. I'll just never bother going back to it, Ultimate is too good).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Way too early to call it for the Switch. For me the best is still the N64. Just so many incredible exclusives, and what was essentially Nintendo's 3D renaissance.
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Super Mario 64
  • Perfect Dark
  • Goldeneye
  • Majoras Mask
  • Paper Mario
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Banjo Tooie
  • Wave Race 64
  • Conkers Bad Fur Day
  • Rayman 2
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Diddy Kong Racing
  • Star Fox 64
  • F-Zero X
  • Turok 1/2
  • Rogue Squadron
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Etc.
The Switch isn't really even anywhere near that level of quantity or quality of exclusives, or even high calibre games in general. Instead the Switch's exclusives list is (naturally) pretty anemic in comparison.

Last edited:

NYCrooner

Jan 3, 2018
Based of my own personal experiences with each system, I would definitely move some stuff around. However like with any list of this type, it's unlikely any two people will completely agree on the order.

13. Virtual Boy
12. Gameboy Color
11. Wii
10. Wii U
09. Nintendo 64
08. Nintendo Entertainment System
07. Nintendo DS
06. Gameboy
05. Gameboy Advance
04. Nintendo 3DS
03. Switch
02. GameCube
01. Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I mean, without context you'd have a point. But within context, it's extremely easy to wittle that list down to nothing when you take out games that have been ported and games that I'd never actually boot up the system again to play. That list gets wittled down to:

-Zelda Remasters
-3d World

That's pretty damn sad. And it's only a matter of time before 3d world and those zelda remasters get ported too. Plus the other ones that I dont care for.

(and to clarify, cuzIknow someone will point it out, I'm not calling smash a port. I'll just never bother going back to it, Ultimate is too good).
I agree. But at the moment, the games were good and original from the WiiU. The system had some good releases, far better than the DS IMO.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Game Boy and Game Boy Color honestly do belong near the bottom. They honestly don't have amazing lineups. I absolutely can't fathom putting Switch at #1. It shouldn't even be ranked at this point.

Wii U is underrated and I do think it belongs above Wii overall. But putting it above the DS is insanity. I don't argue lists much because it all comes down to different opinions. But much like I don't understand Switch at #1, I don't understand how anyone could say Wii U had a better game lineup than DS.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Realistically, the NES should be number one... It single-handedly reinvigorated a dead home video game market and made Nintendo's fortunes... If not for the Famicom/NES, the hobby would be very, very different today...

Game Boy and SNES could vie for numbers two and three, too...

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U at number six? Crazy talk. It was an ugly mess and one could tell from the first reveal that Nintendo wasn't sure what direction they really wanted to go with it. At least it brought us Tropical Freeze, Mario Maker, and Splatoon, so that puts it above the Virtual Boy.

NES not even in the top 10? Madness.

As for Switch, it's a bit early to give it the crown.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way does the switch have a worse controller setup than the Wii mote.
I never had signal problems with the Wii, nor missed inputs. The Joy-Cons are so bad that last weekend I had my first (and hopefully only) fit of rage in my entire life and ended up throwing one of them to the floor, which broke the R button. Their reception is that bad.

So, I take it you haven't tried the Pro controller then ?
Yes, that's why I mentioned the awful d-pad. Both of my Pro Controllers (regular and Splatoon) trigger phantom inputs when rocking it back and forth quickly, which makes Puyo Puyo Tetris virtually unplayable.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ranking the Switch at all at this point (let alone fucking #1) kind of invalidates the entire list, honestly. I'm not saying it won't eventually earn it, but these types of comparisons really only work when you can pit the entire catalog of one system against another.

I'm not familiar with Nintendo Life, but this list is like something some dumb ass 14 year old kid would come up with.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
We all love the Switch but it shouldn't be included in the list yet, lol. The others have completed their run and are being scrutinized in hindsight so you can't compare that to something that isn't even over the hill.

Mine:

12. Virtual Boy
11. Game Boy Color
10. Wii U

9. Game Boy Advance
8. Game Boy
7. Nintendo 64

6. NES
5. 3DS
4. Wii

3. GameCube
2. SNES
1. DS

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Article is poorly written/researched.

"In fact, the only truly notable exclusives [of the Gameboy Color] were Pokemon Crystal and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons. "

"The Game Boy is basically the NES of Nintendo's portable systems. It has a bunch of absolute smash hit titles like Tetris, Pokémon Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, and Crystal, Wario Land, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Metroid II, Mario Tennis, and Kirby's Dream Land. "

Crystal is a GBC game as they even noted above, yet they list it again for the GB. And they say GBC only has 3 notable releases, then proceed to list Mario Tennis (a GBC game) as a GB game...

Plus they totally forgot Wario Land 3, the best GBC game.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Article is poorly written/researched.

"In fact, the only truly notable exclusives [of the Gameboy Color] were Pokemon Crystal and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons. "

"The Game Boy is basically the NES of Nintendo's portable systems. It has a bunch of absolute smash hit titles like Tetris, Pokémon Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, and Crystal, Wario Land, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Metroid II, Mario Tennis, and Kirby's Dream Land. "

Crystal is a GBC game as they even noted above, yet they list it again for the GB. And they say GBC only has 3 notable releases, then proceed to list Mario Tennis (a GBC game) as a GB game...

Plus they totally forgot Wario Land 3, the best GBC game.
Honestly, I'm confused at gbc being broken out while not breaking out dsi or new 3ds. Either do it or don't do it. Unless I'm sorely mistaken about how different gbc is from the gb.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the Switch and I could see it ending up being my favorite Nintendo system depending on what happens the rest of the way, but to have it at #1 right now is absurd.

I'd flip N64 (my personal favorite) and GCN, but their order doesn't bother me a whole lot. Objectively, the SNES and DS should be at or near the top, even though they wouldn't top *my* list.

NES is way too low, and Wii U is way too high.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with Switch at Number 1. A little of both handheld and console all in one system that also has built in two-player gaming in tabletop mode? Its collection of software that spans from (now) Atari to PlayStation 4, to all the Nintendo gems? Its catalog of games even at its young age? No system before this comes close.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Game Boy and Game Boy Color honestly do belong near the bottom. They honestly don't have amazing lineups.
thisisbait.png

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Honestly, I'm confused at gbc being broken out while not breaking out dsi or new 3ds. Either do it or don't do it. Unless I'm sorely mistaken about how different gbc is from the gb.
I'd probably lump the Gameboy and Gameboy Color together if I was doing a list. But I can see why someone would put them seperately. The Gameboy Color does have more exclusives than the DSI or N3DS did. (Well, I'm not sure on the DSIWare front. I never really checked that stuff)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Nope. Not saying they're bad by any means -- Donkey Kong 94 and Link's Awakening are two of my favorite games of all time -- but when I put aside nostalgia, they are definitely in the bottom half of Nintendo's consoles.

The lineup for the original Game Boy comes nowhere close to Advance, DS or 3DS. All three of those handhelds eclipse the original Game Boy in terms in quality games and the number of them available.