• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
I totally get that list are subjective but at some point they should reflect a level of understand relative to the subject matter. They are shitting on the NES from orbit and that is not cool.

Even with 2 of the top 20 games all time, the N64 should be well below every home console, including Wii U.

Also for me the, 3DS is pound for pound a top 3 console all time regardless of maker (PS2>SuperNES> 3DS)

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll agree with top 4. 3DS isn't rated highly by me tho, rate it very low among handhelds. I didn't think I'd agree with much here tho so a positive surprise.

For me:

Switch - my dream console, love basically everything about it
SNES - my first console, special memories
GameCube - probably the console I've spent the most time with until Switch becomes #1 eventually
N64 - first step into 3D and Mario 64 in particular is an unforgettable experience.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch should be near the top this early in. It has the potential to be in the top, but its still growing a library.

Also wii u at 6 is crazy

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I like the list... it's not only the classics that are good.

Mine would be:

10 - Virtual Boy
09 - Wii - 99% shovelware and 1% good/great but motion controlled and non HD.
08 - Gameboy Family - same, some classics here, but quality was terrible.
07 - Gameboy Advance - shortlived and non-snes button layout... yeah...
06 - Gamecube - I love the design, and quantity of games, but outside of Zelda, no real classic here.
05 - Nintendo 64/NES - Both terrible hardware, but some real classics here and there.
04 - Wii U - I love the concept, HD nintendo for the first time, NSMBU (best mario game ever) and probably the system I have more nintendo games on.
03 - Nintendo DS - Gamechanger, each game was an experience. So many new franchises.
02 - Nintendo Switch - Not since the SNES, Nintendo has a better future. Best hardware of all, too.
01 - Super Nintendo - my childhood, if nostalgia counts more than other things, it would be the best. And it almost is.
00 - Nintendo 3DS - freaking legendary library in my opinion. It's the DS on steroids.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I wouldn't even rank the Switch above the Wii.

For starters, Wii had a better 3rd party library, a very robust and established Virtual Console service, and just about anybody could handle the controls of the Wiimote better than a Joy-con. Too early to say whether the Switch would be ranked #1.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Understandable. I'm not really in the "NES has aged like shit" camp. I think a good game is a good game no matter what.

But I do think the NES library has been overtaken a number of times. I think I would even put N64 above it because, despite NES having more good games, I think there are more I'd jump at playing on N64.

Basically, if there were an N64 Classic and an NES Classic where I picked the 20 games, I think I would end up wanting to play the N64 Classic more.
On that point, I guess I personally differ. I look at the N64 as a console that has maybe 3-4 games I'd ever want to go back to (Mario, two Zeldas and maybe Ogre Battle). I own most of the library, too.

While on NES there are dozens I would return to, and I keep discovering new classics because the library is just huge like that. Mario trilogy, both Zeldas, Mega Man 1-6, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Contra, Castlevania trilogy, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, DuckTales, Kirby's Adventure, StarTropics, Gimmick.... I actually have to cut myself off because I could probably list 20+ more. NES to me is still one of those juggernaut console libraries with almost incalculable amounts of games worth playing (much like SNES, PS1, PS2, etc).

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone remind me of some good DS games? I see some posts here praising the DS, but I only remember:
-Some Atlus JRPGs
-The 3 amazing Castlevania games
-Hotel Dusk/Ghost Trick
Edit: - Phoenix Wrifght of course, but the games were GBA remasters
I can't remember that many really good games, I think that the 3DS has far better games.
Not including things you mentioned there:

Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, best Mario Kart at the time, Animal Crossing on a portable, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, two Advance War games, two Mario RPG titles, two or three Fire Emblems, Pokemon, The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IV - V - VI - IX, lots of Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger port, Professor Layton games, Inazuma Eleven games, Planet Puzzle League, Tetris DS, Rhythm Heaven, Etrian Odyssey games, Soul Bubbles, Trauma Center, Rune Factory games, etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not including things you mentioned there:

Elite Beat Agents, Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, best Mario Kart at the time, Animal Crossing on a portable, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, two Advance War games, two Mario RPG titles, two or three Fire Emblems, Pokemon, The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest IV - V - VI - IX, lots of Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger port, Professor Layton games, Inazuma Eleven games, Planet Puzzle League, Tetris DS, Rhythm Heaven, Etrian Odyssey games, Soul Bubbles, Trauma Center, Rune Factory games, etc.
Yeah, and it's important to remember that between Platinum, HGSS, Black/White, and B2W2, DS has the best Pokemon games ever.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The joke that is Wii U beat out the OG DS? GBA is in which position? Get out of here.

I'm sorry but this is just incorrect. Please go straight to jail, Nintendolife. Do not pass go. Do not collect ÂŁ200.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the placement of the Nintendo entertainment system is correct. Frankly, it is barely fun to play if you aren't looking at it through nostalgia goggles. is it a landmark console? Yes, like the Atari and c64 before it, However they are all basically trash to play now. It's basically mud drawings compared to just about everything else out there.

Born in the 80's and I had the NES.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I like the list... it's not only the classics that are good.

Mine would be:

10 - Virtual Boy
09 - Wii - 99% shovelware and 1% good/great but motion controlled and non HD.
08 - Gameboy Family - same, some classics here, but quality was terrible.
07 - Gameboy Advance - shortlived and non-snes button layout... yeah...
06 - Gamecube - I love the design, and quantity of games, but outside of Zelda, no real classic here.
05 - Nintendo 64/NES - Both terrible hardware, but some real classics here and there.
04 - Wii U - I love the concept, HD nintendo for the first time, NSMBU (best mario game ever) and probably the system I have more nintendo games on.
03 - Nintendo DS - Gamechanger, each game was an experience. So many new franchises.
02 - Nintendo Switch - Not since the SNES, Nintendo has a better future. Best hardware of all, too.
01 - Super Nintendo - my childhood, if nostalgia counts more than other things, it would be the best. And it almost is.
00 - Nintendo 3DS - freaking legendary library in my opinion. It's the DS on steroids.

Wii has like 200 good to great games, just because the stuff trolls focused on wasn't doesn't mean shit.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odd list.

I've owned every single Nintendo system but the Gamecube (I played it all the time at my best friends house). Switch is also less than 2 years old so I don't think it should count yet.

Here's my ranking:

12. Virtual Boy - Few games, but what it had were good. The problem was hardware and that only one game was really "Virtual Reality" (Telereoboxer). But yeah, I can't really accurate describe how bad the the experience of playing the system was. Your eyes would literally burn after playing a game for more than fifteen minutes.

11. Gameboy Color - Literally the Gameboy but in color. It had a crazy short lifespan so I can't list it any higher.

10. Wii U - Excellent first party support and it's gimmick can be useful at times, but that's it. It really feels like a concept console that was in its alpha stages. Looks like one too.

09. Gameboy - Despite being THE handheld gaming system throughout the entire '90s, few games on it have aged well

08. Gamecube - A unique concept, but I feel that this was Nintendo at their worst. The first party titles outside of incredible Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and Super Smash Bros. Melee are mostly seen as the weakest in their series. Super Mario Sunshine, The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, and Mario Kart: Double Dash just don't live up to previous and later entries. And while the system did have better third party support than both its predecessor and successor, outside of Resident Evil and a handful of niche titles, it just doesn't make the cut.

07. Nintendo 64 - I respect this system a lot as unlike the Playstation and Saturn, the titles for it really grabbed 3D by the horns. Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Anything by Rare, Factor 5 titles, etc. The library truly was three dimensional in every aspect. Unfortunately, outside of Super Mario 65, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, and Sin & Punishment, almost every game on the system aged poorly. It also doesn't leave much in the way of variety. Almost every game is either a platformer, racing game, or a first/third person shooter. RPGs, fighting games, strategy titles, and shoot-em-ups are hard to find in general, let alone quality ones. Not to say they didn't except (Ogre Battle 64), but it is slim pickings.

06. Gameboy Advance - Contrary to what people believe, one could argue that Nintendo's "third pillar" strategy really was achieved. The GBA sold well for at least two years after its successor was released. It eventually adopted many things that should have been standard for handheld from the get go: back-lit screens, built-in rechargeable battery, and fits right in your pocket. The system was also very powerful, spec wise, it was closer to the 3DO than the SNES. Thus it was able play almost any 2D game on the planet at the time. Though due to competition from Sony, its life had to be cut short for its successor.

05. Wii - I feel that the Wii is one of the very few consoles that was better for its time than it is experiencing now. It was a real trip to be able to play and enjoy games with your Mom and Grandma. Virtual Console was incredible for a time before these titles were ported to every device under the sun. The ble ocean strategy resulted in a lot of unique games, particularly before creative developers flocked to the Steam indie scene. And while motion controls do get hate, they weren't as bad as people pretend they were, and when they worked they REALLY worked. As you can see however, the gaming market changed. The Wii really was a product of its time, and after the casuals went to cell phones and the creative types fled to the indie scene, Nintendo didn't know what to do with it.

04. NES - This was THE system of the 1980s. While I will admit a lot of games haven't aged too well, there have been more than a handful that have aged just fine. Outside of the Sega Genesis, there is no other console I feel that I can just go through its catalog and find a new fun unique title to try out and play in just a matter of minutes. The consoles "pick-up-and play" nature works wonder.

03. SNES - Contrary to what the public thought at the time of its release the SNES is a souped up NES with the same 8-bit gameplay, but an increase color palette (that honor goes to the PC-Engine). Instead it was the system to bring Nintendo titles and partners to the 16-bit era. Then modern console gaming got a 16-bit make over from the controls, to level design, to progression, and yes graphics. Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, and what not all represented a new era of gaming that separated the '90s from the '80s. The biggest complaint from the console is its poor performance. Even in many chip included titles, games tend to run like ass with slowdown galore.

02. Nintendo DS - The little handheld everyone laughed at, would transform mobile gaming. Just ignoring the fact that it popularized the touch screen for more traditional gameplay, the system really brought its game when bringing juggernaut gaming experiences on the go. Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World felt like full mainline entries rather than "handheld versions" done by second string developers. Titles Phoenix Wright and 999 were fun adventures, and just really ton of other unique and major titles were made for the system.

01. Nintendo 3DS - I'm pretty surprised that this is number 1, but being honest it makes sense. The 3DS is the DS, but bigger and batter. Sure it lacks the immense third party support of the DS, but it more than makes up for it with the support that is there being of huge heavy hitting titles like mainline numbered entries in Shin Megami Tensei and Monster Hunter. First party support is spot on with IMO the best Mario game that isn't Super Mario Odyssey, and the highly enjoyable return of Kid Icarus. Being honest though, I kind of switch between this being at #1 and its predecessor. It depends on my mood really.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Disagree, I prefer 3DS to the DS, and it absolutely has a better library than the Gameboy or Gameboy Color.

I think there's an argument to be made that DS was better for third party games while 3DS was better for first party games. Just about every Nintendo franchise on DS is eclipsed by the version on 3DS.

DS had Metroid Prime Hunters, 3DS had Metroid: Samus Returns.

DS had New Super Mario Bros., 3DS had Super Mario 3D Land and Luigi's Mansion 2.

DS had two Zelda games that are generally considered two of the weakest in the series, 3DS had A Link Between Worlds (and remakes/ports of Ocarina and Majora).

If we start getting into direct sequels to DS games, those are also better on 3DS: New Super Mario Bros. 2, Nintendogs and Cats, Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

The only Nintendo IP I would say slipped would be the general Mario RPG franchise. And Kirby generally stayed consistent (it's hard to top Canvas Curse in my eyes but Robotbot is amazing).

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
That NES being so low is weird and wrong.

I like that they have so much faith in the Switch, I really love that system, but putting it at #1 is a bit presumptuous.

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Wii has like 200 good to great games, just because the stuff trolls focused on wasn't doesn't mean shit.

To be honest, even the good things I wasn't a fan, because of motion controls, the wiimote (terrible) and SD graphics in an age that I just coudn't stand them on a large TV.
Huge Nintendo fan here, but while the DS was incredible and made me return to video games, the Wii made me worry Nintendo would never be the same.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
GBA is far too low, N64 is way too high.
N64 deserves a high place.

Mario 64 invented, and perfected, the open sandbox 3D platformer
Ocarina invented Z-Lock, contextual buttons, day/night/weather system, horseback riding and fighting
4 player couch multiplayer invented (technically SNES had it but it was barely supported).
Smash bros invented
Mario Kart 4 player split screen
Goldeneye was the first big FPS party game
Rogue Squadron best Star Wars games ever up to that point

Yeah it lost ALL the RPGs and Suaresoft and Enix, but there were some amazing games on N64. It was an essential console to own that generation.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I think the placement of the Nintendo entertainment system is correct. Frankly, it is barely fun to play if you aren't looking at it through nostalgia goggles. is it a landmark console? Yes, like the Atari and c64 before it, However they are all basically trash to play now. It's basically mud drawings compared to just about everything else out there.

Appeals against nostalgia/"aging" are such meaningless arguments, as your last sentence unconsciously indicates.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cuz I'm procrastinating from work... this list is the systems as they exist now, what I'd feel actually playing these consoles, not necessarily as they existed then (it's too hard for me to figure out where NES/N64 would fit in if I'm trying to think about how they existed in the lanscape they launched into and be fair about it).

Virtual Boy, obviously
Wii U
NES
Nintendo DS
Gameboy/Gameboy Color
Nintendo 3DS
Gameboy Advance
Wii (not including virtual console)
Super Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Wii (including virtual console)
Gamecube

Not including switch,cuz obviously I'd prefer to play switch over everything else at the moment. Tho it's got a good thing going and could possibly be nintendo's best console if the 'virtual console' thing they got going fleshes out especially.

The list is hard, cuz they only real stinkers are Wii U and Virtual Boy. Anything else low on the list is pretty much me just not preferring handhelds and the NES is just hard for me to enjoy a lot of those games for any more than 30 min to an hour tops.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a really bad list. DS behind the Wii U should be a crime against humanity (and I don't dislike the Wii U)

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Don't understand why the WiiU is so high, should be at number 12, only the Virtual Boy was worse. Horrible name/bad marketing, incredibly bad controller, and a really poor decision to release it at that time with such low end specs since there was nothing to really set it apart from 6 to 7 year old Xbox 360 and PS3 other than the POS controller.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
To be honest, even the good things I wasn't a fan, because of motion controls, the wiimote (terrible) and SD graphics in an age that I just coudn't stand them on a large TV.
Huge Nintendo fan here, but while the DS was incredible and made me return to video games, the Wii made me worry Nintendo would never be the same.

I mean, if you were a graphics enthusiast but still playing DS I don't know what to tell you.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's fine, but still their worst handheld.

I really like the 3DS, but I think people tend to slightly overrate the quality of its software library.

For starters, take a quick glance at Metacritic. At least half of Nintendo's first party output on 3DS received mixed/divisive reviews from critics.

Yoshi's New Island, Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Hey Pikmin, Metroid Federation Force, Codename Steam, Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Mario Tennis, Mario Sports Superstars, Miitopia, Tomadachi Life, Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, three Mario Party games, Fossil Fighters, Dillon's Rolling Western, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir.

There were also games like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, which were extremely divisive among fans of the series.
And many will argue that New Super Mario Bros U was a much better game than 3DS's New Super Mario Bros 2.

Every game system has their gems, and 3DS is no exception: A Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Animal Crossing New Leaf. But I think Switch will build a better library much faster than 3DS did in eight years.

Last edited:

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I mean, if you were a graphics enthusiast but still playing DS I don't know what to tell you.

I'm the opposite of that, in fact.
The DS was "ugly", but sharp... the wii was blurry. I don't know, its games looked awful to me - and the ones that didn't, well, the other two reasons applied.

Edited for quotes on "ugly". I loved DS graphics.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Disagree, the Famicom absolutely holds up: Capcom, Sunsoft, Namco, Hudson Soft and Konami were gods on that machine.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
For the time. Those games definitely do not hold up for today's audiences and standards. I doubt they would even be a blip for free on the App Store.

That doesn't mean Mega Man 2 is not literally better than what is often on the app store, not sure what your point is. Most of what people play on app stores is trash.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
For the time. Those games definitely do not hold up for today's audiences and standards. I doubt they would even be a blip for free on the App Store.
I got into games well after the NES and still consider it great, a top-three Nintendo console. You were around for its heyday and consider it old hat.

It's almost like "holding up" is an arbitrary standard used as a convenience in lieu of an actual argument.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I really like the 3DS, but I think people tend to slightly overrate the quality of its software library.

For starters, take a quick glance at Metacritic. At least half of Nintendo's first party output on 3DS received mixed/divisive reviews from critics.

Yoshi's New Island, Chibi Robo Zip Lash, Hey Pikmin, Metroid Federation Force, Codename Steam, Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Mario Tennis, Mario Sports Superstars, Miitopia, Tomadachi Life, Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, three Mario Party games, Fossil Fighters, Dillon's Rolling Western, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

There were also games like Paper Mario: Sticker Star, which were extremely divisive among fans of the series.
And many will argue that New Super Mario Bros U was a much better game than 3DS's New Super Mario Bros 2.

Every game system has their gems, and 3DS is no exception: A Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem, Kirby Triple Deluxe and Animal Crossing New Leaf. But I think Switch will build a better library much faster than 3DS did in eight years.

The strengths of the 3DS are it's low price and the fact you can play DS games on it.

ItsTheShoes

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean Mega Man 2 is not literally better than what is often on the app store, not sure what your point is. Most of what people play on app stores is trash.
I would argue that it's a landmark title that outside of the music doesn't hold much gameplay value. It has been copied and perfected upon since it's release 30 years ago and it's antiquated.

I got into games well after the NES and still consider it great, a top-three Nintendo console. You were around for its heyday and consider it old hat.

It's almost like "holding up" is an arbitrary standard used as a convenience in lieu of an actual argument.
It insinuates that the ideas, gameplay loop, performance, and values of that generation are exhausted at this point and outside of giving the nes a cursory glance, there's really not much to enjoy compared to today a more perfected formulas.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
NES in position 11 makes this a trash list. I'd assume the author is too young to have ever actually played one (other than perhaps an NES Classic).

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The N64 is always ranked too highly imo. The few masterpieces it has does not make it a good system. I'd rank it almost dead last tbh. Switch at No. 1 is laughable too, the system hardly has any great Nintendo games on there, mostly just the WiiU library. Give it 3 more years and the we'll see where it ranks. Nice to see WiiU ranked fairly highly, it gets shat on way too much, but Nintendo's output was at its finest since the SNES. NES is waaaay too low.

/edit: fuck it, if we're all doing lists I'm doing one too:

1. SNES
  2. NES
  3. 3DS
  4. WiiU
  5. Gamecube
  6. GBA
  7. Wii
  8. DS
  9. Switch (as of now)
  10. N64
  11. GB
  12. GBC
  13. Virtual Boy
There's a huge gap between VB and GBC. I'm actually re-discovering the GB and GBC's libraries, so they might climb in the rankings and I already think it's got a decent library. Outside of the VB Nintendo really doesn't have a truly bad system and their software has been consistently great.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Well that's a lazy argument. I would take Mega Man 2, Mario 3, Gimmick, Castlevania 3 etc. over 99% of what gets released today for their responsive controls, fantastic chiptune compositions and inventive level design. The Famicom was utterly dominant for years and so the best developers in Japan cut their teeth on it, it represented a renaissance in home console gaming. Both for it's historical significance and the breadth of games it provided, it's my favourite Nintendo console (but ask me a week from now and I might say the Super Famicom instead).

Opa-Opa

Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Odd list.

I've owned every single Nintendo system but the Gamecube (I played it all the time at my best friends house). Switch is also less than 2 years old so I don't think it should count yet.

Here's my ranking:

12. Virtual Boy - Few games, but what it had were good. The problem was hardware and that only one game was really "Virtual Reality" (Telereoboxer). But yeah, I can't really accurate describe how bad the the experience of playing the system was. Your eyes would literally burn after playing a game for more than fifteen minutes.

11. Gameboy Color - Literally the Gameboy but in color. It had a crazy short lifespan so I can't list it any higher.

10. Wii U - Excellent first party support and it's gimmick can be useful at times, but that's it. It really feels like a concept console that was in its alpha stages. Looks like one too.

09. Gameboy - Despite being THE handheld gaming system throughout the entire '90s, few games on it have aged well

08. Gamecube - A unique concept, but I feel that this was Nintendo at their worst. The first party titles outside of incredible Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, and Super Smash Bros. Melee are mostly seen as the weakest in their series. Super Mario Sunshine, The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, and Mario Kart: Double Dash just don't live up to previous and later entries. And while the system did have better third party support than both its predecessor and successor, outside of Resident Evil and a handful of niche titles, it just doesn't make the cut.

07. Nintendo 64 - I respect this system a lot as unlike the Playstation and Saturn, the titles for it really grabbed 3D by the horns. Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Anything by Rare, Factor 5 titles, etc. The library truly was three dimensional in every aspect. Unfortunately, outside of Super Mario 65, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, and Sin & Punishment, almost every game on the system aged poorly. It also doesn't leave much in the way of variety. Almost every game is either a platformer, racing game, or a first/third person shooter. RPGs, fighting games, strategy titles, and shoot-em-ups are hard to find in general, let alone quality ones. Not to say they didn't except (Ogre Battle 64), but it is slim pickings.

06. Gameboy Advance - Contrary to what people believe, one could argue that Nintendo's "third pillar" strategy really was achieved. The GBA sold well for at least two years after its successor was released. It eventually adopted many things that should have been standard for handheld from the get go: back-lit screens, built-in rechargeable battery, and fits right in your pocket. The system was also very powerful, spec wise, it was closer to the 3DO than the SNES. Thus it was able play almost any 2D game on the planet at the time. Though due to competition from Sony, its life had to be cut short for its successor.

05. Wii - I feel that the Wii is one of the very few consoles that was better for its time than it is experiencing now. It was a real trip to be able to play and enjoy games with your Mom and Grandma. Virtual Console was incredible for a time before these titles were ported to every device under the sun. The ble ocean strategy resulted in a lot of unique games, particularly before creative developers flocked to the Steam indie scene. And while motion controls do get hate, they weren't as bad as people pretend they were, and when they worked they REALLY worked. As you can see however, the gaming market changed. The Wii really was a product of its time, and after the casuals went to cell phones and the creative types fled to the indie scene, Nintendo didn't know what to do with it.

04. NES - This was THE system of the 1980s. While I will admit a lot of games haven't aged too well, there have been more than a handful that have aged just fine. Outside of the Sega Genesis, there is no other console I feel that I can just go through its catalog and find a new fun unique title to try out and play in just a matter of minutes. The consoles "pick-up-and play" nature works wonder.

03. SNES - Contrary to what the public thought at the time of its release the SNES is a souped up NES with the same 8-bit gameplay, but an increase color palette (that honor goes to the PC-Engine). Instead it was the system to bring Nintendo titles and partners to the 16-bit era. Then modern console gaming got a 16-bit make over from the controls, to level design, to progression, and yes graphics. Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, and what not all represented a new era of gaming that separated the '90s from the '80s. The biggest complaint from the console is its poor performance. Even in many chip included titles, games tend to run like ass with slowdown galore.

02. Nintendo DS - The little handheld everyone laughed at, would transform mobile gaming. Just ignoring the fact that it popularized the touch screen for more traditional gameplay, the system really brought its game when bringing juggernaut gaming experiences on the go. Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing: Wild World felt like full mainline entries rather than "handheld versions" done by second string developers. Titles Phoenix Wright and 999 were fun adventures, and just really ton of other unique and major titles were made for the system.

01. Nintendo 3DS - I'm pretty surprised that this is number 1, but being honest it makes sense. The 3DS is the DS, but bigger and batter. Sure it lacks the immense third party support of the DS, but it more than makes up for it with the support that is there being of huge heavy hitting titles like mainline numbered entries in Shin Megami Tensei and Monster Hunter. First party support is spot on with IMO the best Mario game that isn't Super Mario Odyssey, and the highly enjoyable return of Kid Icarus. Being honest though, I kind of switch between this being at #1 and its predecessor. It depends on my mood really.

Nice list! I agree with many, many things. If we could trade Wii and Wii U, it would be a list I could almost sign my name on.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I've barely played my Switch but their #2, #3, and 4 are my #1, #2, and #3, so I can't be too mad.

...honestly, looking at it awhile, I think it's really close to my list. Besides putting Switch at #1.

ItsTheShoes

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's a lazy argument. I would take Mega Man 2, Mario 3, Gimmick, Castlevania 3 etc. over 99% of what gets released today for their responsive controls, fantastic chiptune compositions and inventive level design. The Famicom was utterly dominant for years and so the best developers in Japan cut their teeth on it, it represented a renaissance in home console gaming. Both for it's historical significance and the breadth of games it provided, it's my favourite Nintendo console (but ask me a week from now and I might say the Super Famicom instead).
I agree with you that the NES is a cultural milestone, along with a bunch of titles on the machine. What I disagree with, is it's modern day value of being enjoyable to play. I would rank it and the other cultural icon, The Gameboy in dead last since time has not been kind to either and they hold almost no entertainment value for modern day expectations and taste.