Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Indies are clearly one of the biggest strenghts of Nintendo Switch right now, Nintendo spoke about it as part of its 78th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders.

Takahashi

"During development on Nintendo Switch, creating a development environment where it would be easy to create games was one of our top priorities. One of the good things to come from this is the large number of indie games, especially in Europe and North America. We do not think of indie games as competition for the large-scale games we develop ourselves. Rather, I think these indie games are what really invigorate Nintendo Switch overall."

Tanaka

"We started working with indie developers during the Wii U generation. For Nintendo Switch, we set up a development environment that supports Unity middleware, which is used on smartphones and other platforms. We are also actively engaging with indie developers at video game-focused shows and other events in different regions. We also had a Nintendo booth at the BitSummit indie game event held in Kyoto, where we showcased some games. Some of the indie games already released have gone on to become million sellers worldwide. In the future, we are looking to release around 20 to 30 indie games on Nintendo Switch per week, and we definitely expect to see some great games among them."

Kimishima

"We are currently working towards reaching 1,500 software titles developed for Nintendo platforms using Unity. I think that will give you an idea of how much it has grown."

https://nintendoeverything.com/nint...indie-games-on-switch-per-week-in-the-future/
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/qa1806e.pdf

I find that interesting: for the first time indies are now becoming incredibly important for Nintendo because they guarantee that consistent stream of games filling the gaps left by third parties.

The challenge here is on how Nintendo will manage to keep Switch the best console for indie games even by the time PS5/XB2 come out, to improve discoverability and to avoid what happened with Steam.

Last edited:

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
As long as it doesn't turn into asset flip heaven like on Steam, I'm okay with a console having this many indies come out.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Sounds good to me. Still plenty of already-released games I want to see make it over, and also plenty I want to see announced.

For example I want Klei to release Invisible Inc on Switch real bad. Thought it was inevitable due to Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve making it to the console, but I'm starting to lose faith :(

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of content being brought over to Switch is crazy.
Dont see the indie train slowing down anytime soon with quality releases ala Hollow Knight promoting the eShop.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Keep em coming!. The portable aspect is huge for me. I don't have an up to date gaming pc anymore and even then I barely played the countless cheap or free indies. Feels so much nicer playing the indies on the go rather than being glued to a monitor or TV.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Very curious on those multiple million sellers. Rocket League and Stardew Valley are likely, dunno if they'd count Minecraft.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Not sure what on earth they're talking about, we've been at 20-30 release since pretty much January (maybe with drips below 20s in some rare slow weeks). Guess it's strictly indies-only, not just downloadable games.

Jun 27, 2018
Stockholm
Good for you guys if this sort of stuff makes you happy. Personally I just feel like the e-shop gets flooded with games of sub par quality. I mean... I've gotten tons of stuff like these for free via ps+, titles nintendo charges good money for. And even when I get them for nothing, I usually don't bother downloading them. Once in a while a really great indie like hollow knight is released... but even with most of the most poular indies I feel very "meh"

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Keep em coming!. The portable aspect is huge for me. I don't have an up to date gaming pc anymore and even then I barely played the countless cheap or free indies. Feels so much nicer playing the indies on the go rather than being glued to a monitor or TV.

Totally in the same boat and I think many other consumers are also. It's become a cheaper and more fun way to play games I wouldn't have been able to otherwise given how reliant I am on my 2013 MacBook Air. Hollowknight was a revelation for me.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
As if I already don't have a hard enough time finding anything on the eShop...

Someone needs to keep a rolling list of the best of the best. I feel like I'm missing out on so much that just gets lost in the shuffle.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, it already feels like we're there. Switch has had some crazy ass weeks this year and last.

I'm here for it though, indie games and Switch are a match made in heaven

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you guys if this sort of stuff makes you happy. Personally I just feel like the e-shop gets flooded with games of sub par quality. I mean... I've gotten tons of stuff like these for free via ps+, titles nintendo charges good money for. And even when I get them for nothing, I usually don't bother downloading them. Once in a while a really great indie like hollow knight is released... but even with most of the most poular indies I feel very "meh"
Thank goodness you feel the need to tell us you hate paying for indie games.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How is that any different to a non ps4 plus user. They have to buy the game. You getting the game via ps+ certainly isn't free

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
I keep hoping Assault Android Cactus is coming but figure it would've been out by now if it was.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Good. The eshop is in need for some serious updates to accommodate for that sort of ramp up. It is almost always an issue of organization and discovery and not volume so bring on the indies.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still a lot of really great indie games that should be on Switch:

Copy Kitty
THOTH
Khimera (would be free too)
The Eyes of Ara
Monolith
Creepy Castle
HoPiKo
Wuppo
Momodora Reverie
Slime-san
The Magic Circle
The Stanley Parable
OneShot
Victor Vran
Defunct
Bot Vice
Princess Remedy
Handsome Mr. Frog
RUINER
Splasher

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
How to keep up with 20-30 releases a week? I have a lot of games on my shop Wishlist already with the current pace.

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they're on the phone with fine Canadian developers Metalhead about Super Mega Baseball 2. Like yesterday. RBI Baseball sucks, and I refuse to play it.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Still a lot of really great indie games that should be on Switch:

Copy Kitty
THOTH
Khimera (would be free too)
The Eyes of Ara
Monolith
Creepy Castle
HoPiKo
Wuppo
Momodora Reverie
Slime-san
The Magic Circle
The Stanley Parable
OneShot
Victor Vran
Defunct
Bot Vice
Princess Remedy
Handsome Mr. Frog
RUINER
Splasher

Slime-San and Splasher are already on Switch

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That seems incredibly excessive and counter-productive for a growing platform like the Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if prices started collapsing for many of these games.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
At this point I think there are way too many games and too little time to play them.

You're what's wrong with gamers.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Switch is a great indie machine, but I hesitate to dump my wallet into the eshop because I fully expect my purchases to not follow me to Nintendos next platform.