• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
This game is a typical gacha slot machine game with a bit of gameplay. It is polished though, almost as much as a Supercell game. But gacha is gacha.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I refuse to even give this game a shot as it is THE promoted ad on my Twitter every fucking day.

I've never been so goddamn annoyed by a Twitter promoted ad before.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game is a typical gacha slot machine game with a bit of gameplay. It is polished though, almost as much as a Supercell game. But gacha is gacha.

You can play gacha and never put a single dime too though.

If only that much money could be made without the extremely sexualized designs.

Lol. I think u are talking about wrong game lol. Dragalia still havent had it swimsuit character lol.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to even give this game a shot as it is THE promoted ad on my Twitter every fucking day.

I've never been so goddamn annoyed by a Twitter promoted ad before.

I make muting all the Promoted accounts a game. Really obscure promotions will appear after a long enough while of doing this.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
You can play gacha and never put a single dime too though..

But why would I choose to play a game where as a free or even a budget player, I get a horribly compromised experience. Only whales who spend thousands of dollars actually get to access all the content in these games.

Or...I can go on Steam during a sale and spend $20 and buy a ton of great games and get the full experience, without being nagged to spend money, or jealous of other people who got lucky slot machine pulls, or pissed off when I don't roll the rare items I want or whatever.

That's my take on why gacha games are awful both as games and for how they prey on gambling addicts.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Ignoring questions of gambling or grinding or whales, gacha games make me uneasy because I know I'll never ever spend a dime on them, meaning I'll never ever be a part of the target demographic of the game no matter how much I like the game, no matter how much I play it. Which I find both weird and frustrating.

I barely play FEH only because I love FE as a series.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I just find playing games on a phone too much of a hassle between the frequent downloads, long startup times and battery use. That said, I enjoyed the presentation and ideas behind the game from the handful of missions I played when I first got it.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you also including Platinum Summons into this? Platinum Summons guarantee 5 star characters on certain days.
Platinum summons don't let you use wyrmite. Only diamantium, which costs money. So no, I'm not including it, since it's not available to F2P players.

And just to be clear, it would take $32 of diamantium to get one platinum summon, since the guaranteed 5* is only for tenfold summons. Maybe you could get it a bit cheaper using some limited deals over months, but it's expensive with real money, and only guarantees you one 5* not of your choosing.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But why would I choose to play a game where as a free or even a budget player, I get a horribly compromised experience. Only whales who spend thousands of dollars actually get to access all the content in these games.

Or...I can go on Steam during a sale and spend $20 and buy a ton of great games and get the full experience, without being nagged to spend money, or jealous of other people who got lucky slot machine pulls, or pissed off when I don't roll the rare items I want or whatever.

That's my take on why gacha games are awful both as games and for how they prey on gambling addicts.

Well i totally disagree with you on the part where it is better experience to spend on 20 dollar as in the end, it will just deliver you that single burst experience.

While mobage games especially f2p like these one will keep evolving and keep growing. What u play in the first 6 months will become different maybe another 6 months. You are simply presented to just stay f2p or support the game by buying its currency.

At least with 0 price barrier for u to entry the game, the devs getting money from premium currency is still normal unlike u paying 60 bucks game and still need to pay for premium currency

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Platinum summons don't let you use wyrmite. Only diamantium, which costs money. So no, I'm not including it, since it's not available to F2P players.

And just to be clear, it would take $32 of diamantium to get one platinum summon, since the guaranteed 5* is only for tenfold summons. Maybe you could get it a bit cheaper using some limited deals over months, but it's expensive with real money, and only guarantees you one 5* not of your choosing.
Seems relevant to point out that literally all content in the game is accessible with 4* or even 3* characters. You can run High Midgardsomr with a well-upgraded Xania (3* fire mage), for example.

OP
OP

Falk

Oct 26, 2017

Completely putting aside the 'game devs are a business and are out to fuck you over' mindset for a moment, from a purely business perspective it makes close to little sense to drive away your freeloading playerbase. There is close to zero point for someone with too much money to spend to spend it on something akin to a deserted island without an audience. You rarely, if ever, see any successful, long-lasting mobile game that doesn't have a sizeable non-spending playerbase; as a close example and arguably a spiritual predecessor, Granblue definitely doesn't have 22 million spending players.

For any given playerbase, the more the numbers shrivel up, the more the business model has to go harder on the big spenders, which then feeds into the loop you're talking about where free players actually do have a compromised experience, leave, and it becomes a critical-mass feedback loop till the game in question folds. Gacha games are also definitely in a mature enough state in terms of business and market R&D that many devs can see this coming in the early stages of a spiral.

In other words, pragmatics aside people aren't dumb and will find better things to play if they feel they're having a compromised experience.

Not saying it doesn't happen here, especially for the unlucky ones who get completely screwed over by the gacha (without recourse outside of waiting for months for another chance at weaning meaningful progression out of an uncaring slot machine) but it's all checks and balances.

Anyway, that aside, what's again interesting to me is the revenue-per-player which is inordinately high compared to other similar games in the market - what Dragalia doesn't (currently?) have in sheer numbers it seems to make up for in fanaticism.

For comparison PAD's $12-per-player average was shockingly high in 2014: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...s-its-closest-mobile-competitor/#615ba6ad3e86

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
Completely putting aside the 'game devs are a business and are out to fuck you over' mindset for a moment, from a purely business perspective it makes close to little sense to drive away your freeloading playerbase. There is close to zero point for someone with too much money to spend to spend it on something akin to a deserted island without an audience. You rarely, if ever, see any successful, long-lasting mobile game that doesn't have a sizeable non-spending playerbase; as a close example and arguably a spiritual predecessor, Granblue definitely doesn't have 22 million spending players.

For any given playerbase, the more the numbers shrivel up, the more the business model has to go harder on the big spenders, which then feeds into the loop you're talking about where free players actually do have a compromised experience, leave, and it becomes a critical-mass feedback loop till the game in question folds. Gacha games are also definitely in a mature enough state in terms of business and market R&D that many devs can see this coming in the early stages of a spiral.

In other words, pragmatics aside people aren't dumb and will find better things to play if they feel they're having a compromised experience.

Not saying it doesn't happen here, especially for the unlucky ones who get completely screwed over by the gacha (without recourse outside of waiting for months for another chance at weaning meaningful progression out of an uncaring slot machine) but it's all checks and balances.

Anyway, that aside, what's again interesting to me is the revenue-per-player which is inordinately high compared to other similar games in the market - what Dragalia doesn't (currently?) have in sheer numbers it seems to make up for in fanaticism.

For comparison PAD's $12-per-player average was shockingly high in 2014: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...s-its-closest-mobile-competitor/#615ba6ad3e86

Is wouldn't say fanatacism perse. The beginner deal is really good especially compared to other priced in the game.

This is all dependent on how they came up to this figure btw (.ie if it ignores rerolls).

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
That's good going. When I first read the title I was like (O)(O) because I read it as "Mobile Game Dragalia Lost 50 million in revenue since September"

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After 10 summons, pity rates increase the odds of the featured 5-stars by 0.25% total, meaning that's split between featured characters, wyrmprints, and dragons, so divide that by 4 to get the increase to featured 5* characters: 0.0625% increase for every 10 summons. And there's a 75% chance of being pitybroken by a dragon or wyrmprint. The same pity rate is true for non-featured 5* characters.

By comparison, FE:H increases pity after only 5 summons, and it increases it by 0.25%, but that is not split between characters and other stuff, it's all to characters.

So to answer your question, no, the pity rates are trash too.

FEH higher rate is to compensate for the fact that even if you pull a character you want, you can still get screwed by the bane/boon system.
Also to unlock full potential of a character, you need to pull 11 of the same characters.
Granted this is not relevant outside of top rank arena, but it's something to keep in mind why FEH has "high" summon rate.

The other thing is, the pity rate for Dragalia is 0.5% per 10 pulls, not 0.25%.
And everyone who plays Dragalia knows dragon is the real jackpot in almost any banner.
Difference between 4* and 5* dragon is much more substantial than 4* and 5* adventurer.
So it's pretty much 50% chance of pitybroken by something useful.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This stuck out to me too. $35 per player seems absurdly high when you consider that the vast majority of players will never spend a cent. Personally, I think the gacha model is fair and the game is perfectly accessible to F2P players, but wow, there must be some real whaling going on.

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
There's also the guaranteed beginner pack at 25$, and you can get 1500 dia (premium currency) for 8$ too if I'm not wrong (+ the "cheap" endeavors pack). People who can pay will also buy the monthly unbind packs, basically 2000 dia and a merge for a dragon, wyrmprint or weapon at the price of 35$ (you skip the gacha in a way), much more appealing than diamantiums alone.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Is wouldn't say fanatacism perse. The beginner deal is really good especially compared to other priced in the game.

This is all dependent on how they came up to this figure btw (.ie if it ignores rerolls).
That welcome pack is definitely an effective IAP gateway for the game. Also having a marketplace that offers a lot of bundles, the $25 for a random 5* offer, and the recent banner that featured guaranteed 5* pulls for dimantium, and I can see how it can add up for casual players and not just whales buying currency.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems a pretty good number considering that so few countries received the game, even more comparing to fire emblem which had more countries at the same time when it launched